[OCG] Patrol Police of the Underworld’s effect

jDAI8dh.png

Makai no Keiraka Death Police / Patrol Police of the Underworld

Link 2 DARK Fiend Link Effect Monster

ATK 1000

Links: Bottom Left, Bottom Right

Materials: 2 monsters

(1) If this card was Link Summoned by using 2 DARK monsters with different names, it gains this effect.

• You can Tribute 1 monster, then target 1 face-up card; place 1 Patrol Counter on it. You can only use this card name’s this effect once per turn. If a card with a Patrol Counter would be destroyed by battle or card effect, you can remove 1 Patrol Counter from it instead.

Source: https://ygorganization.com/whatchagonnadowhenshecomesforyou/

Well I suppose you can TGU into Sangan, search Maxx/Ash

It's meh otherwise

Edit: It IS generic. Neat

There's nothing about this that you couldn't already do with something like LANpholinkus.

The effect is just kind of a silly meme, and by that I mean it's not going to be used in most situations, and then we'll discover one or two obscure, niche scenarios where it warrants an :eyes:. With that in consideration, the only reason to actually use this, and then use it over LANpholinkus (because if you're not going for the effect then might as well go for the stats) is the type/attribute pairing.

Which is to say, it's just... not good. This is an outstandingly below-average card.

There's nothing about this that you couldn't already do with something like LANpholinkus.

The effect is just kind of a silly meme, and by that I mean it's not going to be used in most situations, and then we'll discover one or two obscure, niche scenarios where it warrants an :eyes:. With that in consideration, the only reason to actually use this, and then use it over LANpholinkus (because if you're not going for the effect then might as well go for the stats) is the type/attribute pairing.

Which is to say, it's just... not good. This is an outstandingly below-average card.

Link doesn't have a potential second effect?

Or has that 200 saved you many games

Link doesn't have a potential second effect?

Or has that 200 saved you many games

yeah because I'm sure you're using this card so late in the combo with a monster to tribute for some pretty negligible protection on one of your end-field monsters. A "potential" second effect means pretty much jack-squat when the majority of the decks that would even want to use this are going to be using it as a vanilla.

Nevermind that LANpholinkus in itself is pretty bad. Basically put, the only saving grace you describe for this card is "Ah, but you can use monsters as materials for it."

Yeah, uh, no sheet? Doesn't change that this might as well be a vanilla, which is what I was getting at.

With that in consideration, the only reason to actually use this, and then use it over LANpholinkus (because if you're not going for the effect then might as well go for the stats) is the type/attribute pairing.

There's also the fact that it's an Effect Monster.

I would play it over Lanpholinkus in Decks that also run Borreload.

There's also the fact that it's an Effect Monster.

I would play it over Lanpholinkus in Decks that also run Borreload.

If you're laddering for Borreload, you're not using this. You're using cards that actually allow you to plus.

Potential Key beetle effect is almost certainly worth more than 200 atk. If the deck isn't dark, you're better off running the type-links

That's not a key-beetle effect. It's a one-time destruction-protection that you have to tribute a monster to activate. Unless the tribute is to your advantage, it's a waste of resources. If you want protection, use Knightmares. At least those are actually good.

Jesus VCR, is there no hill you're not willing to die on?

I apologize that some of us are able to recognize that certain cards are bard while others are not. You're acting like as if this card is actually good and not like there aren't a bunch of other link monsters that basically every deck is going to want to run over this. It doesn't even have the benefit of generic materials going for it, considering there's already enough of those that accomplish the same thing, but have effects that actually work towards your combo instead of actively taking away from your resources for underwhelming protection.

I mean seriously, are you so hell-bent on opposing me on everything that you're actually blind to a given card's quality?

If you're laddering for Borreload, you're not using this. You're using cards that actually allow you to plus.

It's situational, but it's unlikely that I'd play Lanpholinkus over this if I do run Borreload.

Remember that I'm not saying "You would run this to make Borreload." I was comparing its merits to Lanpholinkus in a given Extra Deck.

It's simply a niche along the lines of its DARK Fiend status (except that being an Effect Monster is generally better than not being one whereas Type and Attribute aren't so unidirectional).

It's situational, but it's unlikely that I'd play Lanpholinkus over this if I do run Borreload.

Remember that I'm not saying "You would run this to make Borreload." I was comparing its merits to Lanpholinkus in a given Extra Deck.

It's simply a niche along the lines of its DARK Fiend status (except that being an Effect Monster is generally better than not being one whereas Type and Attribute aren't so unidirectional).

Man, nobody reads what I'm saying, it's like you all missed the part where I say that they're both bad and that neither should be run. I brought up LANpholinkus to demonstrate that "Yeah, generic materials doesn't make this good" since the effect is super negligible in most cases.

You don't run this to ladder. If you're going for Borrel, you're using an actually good link 2 like Electrumite or Needlefiber; something that helps you actually plus instead of either doing nothing or making you minus.

From what I gathered for this card its a generic 2 down marker that effect makes it viable for making various Link 3 or higher Monsters that require effect monsters which you couldn't use Lanpholinkus to make.

Still its effect in DARK Decks doesn't really do much beside tribute a Monster to provide another protection. I mean in Lair of Darkness on the field you could tribute an opponents Monster for both clearing their field and get protection and that would be the best this card could do.

Man, nobody reads what I'm saying, it's like you all missed the part where I say that they're both bad and that neither should be run. I brought up LANpholinkus to demonstrate that "Yeah, generic materials doesn't make this good" since the effect is super negligible in most cases.

You don't run this to ladder. If you're going for Borrel, you're using an actually good link 2 like Electrumite or Needlefiber; something that helps you actually plus instead of either doing nothing or making you minus.

I responded to a very specific part of your post. You're simply bringing up a point that I never addressed.

As someone who plays Lair of Darkness often, this is...actually not that bad. You can make it with a Torment Token and something else, and then use its effect for Tribute shenanigans.

Also, I'd like to point out that it says face-up CARD and not face-up MONSTER, so you can put this on, say, your copy of Lair of Darkness that you want protected, or some backrow crucial to your strategy.

Or there are some lulzy things you can do, like use this to protect a Swords of Revealing Light or another self-destructing card you have on the field so it doesn't blow itself up.

She has potential, and I don't think she should be dismissed just because a Non-Effect Link has the same Summoning condition and Link Arrows, but a whole 200 more ATK.

Or there are some lulzy things you can do, like use this to protect a Swords of Revealing Light or another self-destructing card you have on the field so it doesn't blow itself up

You can't prevent SoRL from destroying itself with this.

I like the card. Art is amazing, generic materials, and it may not be an all-around goodness but has funny interactions with Lair of Darkness. Plus it can be an ED Card Guard, which IMO is deceptively good. The only thing I don't like is that it faces competition with Apprentice Witchling in DARK decks.

I like the card. Art is amazing, generic materials, and it may not be an all-around goodness but has funny interactions with Lair of Darkness. Plus it can be an ED Card Guard, which IMO is deceptively good. The only thing I don't like is that it faces competition with Apprentice Witchling in DARK decks.

Could always run both in Lair of Darkness Decks as you could have Apprentice in the Extra Monster Zone and Summon this in a Main Monster zone the apprentice points to.

Lair of Darkness makes it sound pretty good but it's not like Lair of Darkness doesn't have plenty of other cards that it makes sound better than this one.

As a promo, I can get behind this. Its art is pretty great and the card is not as impactful as Linkuriboh or Summon Sorceress. It's a fancy-skinned LAN and casual decks do appreciate a Link 2 with both down arrows that is this generic to bring out, even ifs the protection effect is so meh that Zenmaines outclassed it 6 years ago.

It's pretty bad, but it's neither objectively better or worse than LANpholinkus.

It has pros, like being better for laddering and having a niche effect that may or may not ever be relevant... But its status as an effect monster makes it susceptible to things like Widow Anchor or Fiendish Chain (lel).

I think this card ends up being overall better, but I don't think that it's black and white

lair is only good in infernoid anyway zzz

I mean, it's not like I was comparing it to LAN to show that it's kind of a bad card, because LAN is kind of a bad card. Lair is basically the only context where this card in particular should be run over other Link 2's, otherwise it's just... not good.

Police Cruiser of the Underworld when?

On the whole, though, I suppose it does have the other advantage of essentially opening up 3 Zones for 2 monsters (the two it points to, then you can tribute itself to open up the ED again for a third).

...As for me, I guess my ol' super casual Gaia deck's got itself an easily summonable tributer, so that's fun.

Archived