[DP20] Abyss Actor – Mellow Madonna

De_9NQ_UEAA2xm4.jpg?zoom=1.5625&resize=5

Abyss Actor – Mellow Madonna

Level 7 DARK

Pendulum Scale: 0

Pendulum Effect:

You can only activate the Pendulum Effect of this card’s name once per turn.

(1) You can pay 1000 LP; add 1 “Abyss Actor” Pendulum Monster from your Deck to your hand. For the rest of the turn after activating this effect, you cannot Special Summon monsters, except “Abyss Actor” Pendulum Monsters.

Fiend/Pendulum/Effect

You can only use the 1st and 3rd monster effects of this card’s name once per turn.

(1) If your Pendulum Monster is destroyed by battle: You can Special Summon this card from your hand.

(2) This card gains 100 ATK for each “Abyss Script” Spell Card in your GY.

(3) If you activate the effect of an “Abyss Script” Spell Card: You can Special Summon 1 Level 4 or lower “Abyss Actor” monster from your Deck, but it is returned to the hand during the End Phase.

ATK/1800 DEF/2500

So this confirms that Shingo's cards are the fifth and Arc V theme of this pack.

Are ARC-V cards that old to be in Legend(ary) Duelist packs? Also this hints that Sawatari is a legendary duelist, which is kinda funny, since he didn't win a single duel on his own.

Anyways, good card. Not sure if people still play AA due to MR4 merging Pendulum Zones with S/T though.

Are ARC-V cards that old to be in Legend(ary) Duelist packs? Also this hints that Sawatari is a legendary duelist, which is kinda funny, since he didn't win a single duel on his own.

Anyways, good card. Not sure if people still play AA due to MR4 merging Pendulum Zones with S/T though.

People played AA?

Joking aside, the fact that this is a scale 0 should help out a bit also.  Overall, this card looks really solid.  Extras can immediately place it in the Pen Zone for further searching and its (3) monster effect gives value to the Abyss Scripts allowing further setup.

The archetype has a few cards that lets them return stuff from ED to hand, but for them to get anywhere, I feel like they need to be able to open up more zones.  With this and Extras (as the main consistency boosters) locking you out of using Electrumite, they probably could use their own Link Monster.  Preferably one that takes a page out of Artifact Durendal's book.

Words cannot describe how happy I am as an Abyss Actor player to see this 

A SEARCHABLE archetypal SCALE 0 that acts like a MONKEYBOARD for Abyss Actors 

we can finally pendulum summon Funky Comedian, and with Twinkle Little Star you have scales 0-9 ( NICE ) 

the only thing really left to do is to  import them both into the TCG ( please konami ) 

You gotta play at least 2 in your deck, probably 3 since it's so good

[...] The archetype has a few cards that lets them return stuff from ED to hand, but for them to get anywhere, I feel like they need to be able to open up more zones.  With this and Extras (as the main consistency boosters) locking you out of using Electrumite, they probably could use their own Link Monster.  Preferably one that takes a page out of Artifact Durendal's book.

This card restricts one for the rest of the turn meaning electrumite plays should happen first.

Basicly it is supposed to work this way,

1.) Use Curtain Raiser or Extras

2.) Normal Summon an Abyss Actor

3.) Summon Electrumite

4.) Use an A.A. with electrumite to tutor Mellow Madonna.

5.) Complete the scales with either Wild for a floating scale 9 or Understudy for a scale 8, while recycling a copy of Extras to tutor another Mellow Madonna during a latter turn.

6.) Get back the materials.

Which is basicly the same kind of play Magicians did with Astrograph Sorcerer.

But this... isn't very good. Comparing it to Monkeyboard or QliScout is just insulting.

It starts out the same. Heavier defense, good reaching scales (0/1/9), ability to search... but the monster effects change it. But let's start with the search.

This deck is stupidly xenophobic, and this card does nothing to alleviate it. It only makes it moreso, when the cards aren't even good enough to justify it. Sure, you can make plays before doing this, but then the search is more or less just an end phase search that costs you 1000 LP. Scale 0 makes it worth it, but the drawback makes it ignore everything that was good about Monkeyboard.

Monkeyboard shouldn't be banned, anyway. Making something this neutered is ridiculous.

Then there's the monster effects. The effect to SS when a Pend dies by battle is... actually not terrible. It's not outstanding, but it's not terrible.

The problem comes in with the other two effects. Both beign Abyss Script reliant when... there's an entire 1 usable script. This can change, but it isn't like the targets she finds are astounding, either.

The card itself isn't bad, but it doesn't do anything to alleviate issues of the deck. It's just... a +1 for a deck whose maindeck already sucks ass.

Alright, modest booty, battle destruction insurance, and a potential to get real big with enough Abyss Spells in the GY. May forment a strategy where a glut of "Abyss Script" Spells get pumped into the GY for the sake of boosting.

I do think, however, that its restrictions on the Pendulum effect may hurt rather than help; search-ability is nice for the Actors, especially in the wake of the lost Astrograph, but doing it after you've Pendulum Summoned tends to not help unless its another Mellow Madonna, and doing it before bars you from Electrumite (in TCG/OCG) and Summon Sorceress (in OCG) - two vital elements to extending Abyss Actor's lackluster plays. REALLY have to handle something before I give final verdict on this card; 

[spoiler=long-yet-somewhat-rapid-fire-rant-here]

There's a reason I don't complain about xenophobia in Pendulum cards anymore, (and god, did I use to in the land before Metalfoes) and that's because its a thing I wish was applied to MORE Pendulum cards in general and Abyss Actor cards in particular. Without that caveat, this and Curtain Raiser becomes the third generic Pendulum dumbspam engine behind Mystical Beast Cerberus/Jackal and Darkwurm/GateZero, and we just got done handling the more degenerate plusses the Pendulums have access to right now, without this adding to that as paper-cover for their lackluster Archetypes-if they're even used in them at all.

I've been thinking that these easy-to-make Pendulums (Dracoslayer/overlord fit this bill too, when Draco-Face-off and the Empowered were things) were distractions to the structural issues of the weaker Pendulum Decks they were native to, and Madonna leaves me cold in thinking they'll be properly addressed anytime soon.

Relly, A. Actors are more incomplete than bad in this case (this card only reifies that) That being said, yeah, I agree with Black in thinking Monkeyboard can come back. As long as something's done about Dueilst Alliance, because three generic +1ers within the same deck (Monkeyboard, Alliance, and Sorceror, not even counting Guitartle) is the world's biggest no-no. Hell, its essentially reason #2 why we're never getting Stratos, that plus Shadow Mist plus Emergency Call's gonna be intolerable.

(#1 being that Shadow Mist'll need a hit if Stratos returns and making Dark Law less accessible is a death sentence for HEROes, or so Konami America sees it.) 

Conclusion: this only helping Abyss Actors doesn't mean it doesn't help them. But Abyss Actors are in a bind in terms of support-this card's Pendulum Effect but generic only helps Curtain Raiser and putting the toothpaste back into the tube for the Abyss Actors, in terms of mechanics and playstyle, likely can't happen without them going the way of Vampires.

Now all they need is a themed Durendal, I suppose.

I mean, this is a good card and all, but it's not a card that really solves any problems. It just sort of is another piece that maybe lets you do 1 or 2 more things. Those things are really good, but not enough to solve the problems at hand. In a better Deck, this would be good enough and pretty nuts, but this is Abyss Actors. Scout was amazing because it let you Qli more, which was only a good thing for Qlis. Abyss Actors? You get to do that subpar thing more, ok cool. All I can say, unfortunately, is "Sure".

>mentioning PePe

You mean the deck that was worse than the variant that succeeded it, with no new releases between, and only took the format by storm due to bandwagoning OCG???

Alliance is a +0. IDK how you think it's a +1, nor do I understand how you can even begin to say it's a problem. Not to mention that Sorc generally requires Chronograph or the PS to be activated.

Also, forgot to touch on Scout further, but scout's deck is more synergetic, more stable (somehow), and has the ability to use Scout multiple times in a turn.

Plus, Scout isn't more Xenophobic. It and Monolith saw some play as a 2-card engine in Metalfoe, because it was an easy means to amass 2 bodies for CyDra Infinity. This lacks that sort of potential.

Actors are definitely bad. They got 90+% of their anime support, if not all of it, and then some. Yeah, there are 4 more cards here which could change it, but the deck thus far is a ridiculous mishmash of opponent dependancy.

And this isn't even covering your far more opinionated points...

>mentioning PePe

You mean the deck that was worse than the variant that succeeded it, with no new releases between, and only took the format by storm due to bandwagoning OCG???

Alliance is a +0. IDK how you think it's a +1, nor do I understand how you can even begin to say it's a problem. Not to mention that Sorc generally requires Chronograph or the PS to be activated.

Also, forgot to touch on Scout further, but scout's deck is more synergetic, more stable (somehow), and has the ability to use Scout multiple times in a turn.

Plus, Scout isn't more Xenophobic. It and Monolith saw some play as a 2-card engine in Metalfoe, because it was an easy means to amass 2 bodies for CyDra Infinity. This lacks that sort of potential.

Actors are definitely bad. They got 90+% of their anime support, if not all of it, and then some. Yeah, there are 4 more cards here which could change it, but the deck thus far is a ridiculous mishmash of opponent dependancy.

And this isn't even covering your far more opinionated points...

Ooh, that's an error on my part on Duelist Alliance's being a generic searcher, not a +1-musta forgotten to take that out.

The bigger point on that front was-too many archetype-searching and the Deck becomes less of a Deck and more of a Patrick Hoban love letter, Especially for a format not that okay with Deck-thinning, hence the limiting of Upstart and the banning of Chicken Game-and a Deck that can recoup its resources like Performapls can and have to get into Tier 0 status, like with PePe. I did place a comparison to the HEROes in an attempt to clarify what a hamhanded attempt to avoid that would go out like (Stratos still being banned over here an' all.) 

Plus, Scout does put down a blanket ban on Special Summoning monsters, not just when it searches. That...does seem to imply its more xenophobic than Madonna. If its about its usability, that's more to the credit of the Rank5 Engine-specifically, Nova-over the Rank-8 engine-and Scout could be replaced by any vanilla Level 5 Machine in that instance, since it's likely not going in the Zones unless a Metalfoe is in the other. Hell, I saw Foucault's Cannon being used in that regard. 

I'm not too sure about what the other points are, though-I'm in agreement with most of your statements, the Abyss Actors in general and Madonna in particular are in a spot where outside of the needed in-theme Durendal, they're lacking in options to grow as an archetype, and Madonnas effect, as it is, is properly balanced, as it being less restraining in its Pendulum Effect would have it face the "Maxx "C" in Machine Reactor" conundrum, where the entire archetype gets sacked for Madonna/Curtain. Nice for Pendulum, bad for Abyss Actors, because that tends to get cards slammed onto the banlist, and Abyss Actors would need this more than the Pendulum Decks that'll just go right back to the other two Pendulum engines I mentioned before.

I'll even concede for the Abyss Actors being 'bad'...for now. If they couldn't get their ....act...together in this long, their future chances don't look good. I just look at the Abyss Script Spells's destruction effects and am going "goodness, if they can just force the opponent to hit them, they'd jump a tier overnight'. 

Perhaps I'm taking this too strongly. Madonna could have been a Level 5 and opened up so many more possibilities for the Actors. As is....its what the third wave of Vendread support was before the end times; fine, but not what's needed.

Archived