[DP20] Abyss Theatre - Fantastic Theatre

image.jpg?width=309&height=443

Abyss Theater - Fantastic Theater
Field Spell
-You can only use each of this card name's (1) and (2) effects once per turn.
(1) You can reveal 1 "Abyss Actor" Pendulum Monster and 1 "Abyss Script" Spell in your hand; add 1 "Abyss Script" Spell with a different name from the revealed card from your Deck to your hand.
(2) While you control a Pendulum Summoned "Abyss Actor" Pendulum Monster, your opponent's activated monster effects become "Destroy 1 Set Spell/Trap your opponent controls".

I'm sorry, WHAT?!

Gonna have to agree with you on this one. It kills monster effects, is easily searchable, AND has a bonus effect? I have no idea what the end result of this is on the meta. But, most importantly of all...

WHERE IS THIS FOR ARTIFACTS????

Gonna have to agree with you on this one. It kills monster effects, is easily searchable, AND has a bonus effect? I have no idea what the end result of this is on the meta. But, most importantly of all...

WHERE IS THIS FOR ARTIFACTS????

You say this as if Artifacts don't care about xenophobia on your own turn most of the time.

If you catch my drift.

[WAKING THE DRAGON INTENSIFIES]

This card is great. It's what Abyss Actors needed for the longest time; their very own Durendal. Although, the 2nd effect has some downsides, like it's once per turn and you can't decide when to use the effect.

Still I love this.

[WAKING THE DRAGON INTENSIFIES]

This card is great. It's what Abyss Actors needed for the longest time; their very own Durendal. Although, the 2nd effect has some downsides, like it's once per turn and you can't decide when to use the effect.

Still I love this.

Oh, didn't notice that, OCG is weird in that continous effects also are listed like that. Makes it less silly now.

And dynamite goeth the boom. 

Basically, this card's second effect should be seen like a "Magician's" Hand; the effect modification, in other words, is mandatory. But unlike the Hands (which I'm surprised aren't used alongside Restage more often in, say....Altergeists...or at least I would in the Land Before Secret Village) this effect can lead to crazy advantage on your end. The power isn't in the change, it's in what it's hitting, which is most often than not gonna be Wild Wagon, Rise of the Abyss King or Fantasy Magic-with a possible tie-in of Romantic now.  

So yeah, plusses for days all around, plus disruption, plus more searching. I'm really seeing a 'decent-to-great' run of the support in this Archetype I haven't seen since Blackwings.

The second effect is hilarious, but fairly easy to circumvent. Doomcaliber Knight hasn't been good in a very long time, and though this is certainly different, as it acts as an enabler, the fact that so much of the rest of your deck is mediocre at best hurts this a ton.

On a similar note, while searching is nice and helps you reach synergistic scripts, it requires you to run a decent number of them to truly be as consistent as you'd like. Only being able to search one with a different name just makes it that much trickier, as it forces you to delve deeper into a pool of notsogreat cards.

Now, I'm not saying this isn't a strong card in its own right, and it obviously helps the deck function, but I feel that its strength is being a bit oversold.

I'm not going to bother trying to figure out how a continuous effect can be OPT.

All the stuff together is amazing, but despite it all, I'm still not sold personally.

You are stockpiling advantage, but for what?  Unlike Sky Strikers, the advantages cannot be used generically to benefit another deck, and the boards that AAs can build are still woefully mediocre because of their xenophobia.  There's also still the glowing red spot of weakness that is their face-up Spells/Traps.  The opponent will just aim to pop this or the scales and won't have to touch your Set backrow (unless you set up Comic Relief).

Also, their win condition is confusing.  They look like their aim is to bounce your opponent's entire board then swing for game, but running tons of monsters isn't beneficial for the deck and they generally don't have high numbers to output (you'd probably need 4 or so monsters to get OTK values).  They also aren't much of a "board breaking" deck either and don't look like they'd play the best through an established board with even the mildest of disruption.

I want to be wrong here though.  I like the idea of the Abyss Actors, but even with these revealed cards I can't see them being anywhere in the competitive scene.

The second effect is hilarious, but fairly easy to circumvent. Doomcaliber Knight hasn't been good in a very long time, and though this is certainly different, as it acts as an enabler, the fact that so much of the rest of your deck is mediocre at best hurts this a ton.

On a similar note, while searching is nice and helps you reach synergistic scripts, it requires you to run a decent number of them to truly be as consistent as you'd like. Only being able to search one with a different name just makes it that much trickier, as it forces you to delve deeper into a pool of notsogreat cards.

Now, I'm not saying this isn't a strong card in its own right, and it obviously helps the deck function, but I feel that its strength is being a bit oversold.

I'm not going to bother trying to figure out how a continuous effect can be OPT.

In all fairness, I didn't see the hard OPT part until today because the way Org translated this makes little sense. I think it's safe to assume that it affects your opponent's first activated monster effect in the turn, and then it's one and done.

This is still strong; wasting an opponent's card is still good in its own right, though not being able to choose (assuming) kinda sucks, it's still a pretty decent effect in its own right. But, it's what it changes it to that makes it pretty great. I don't think it's a stretch at all to be able to run 3 Scythe and 3 Sanctum in Abyss Actors; maybe a Moralltach if you're feeling spicy, but that's not really want you want to go for. Normally the engine is 1 Scythe to 3 Sanctum, but the field spell makes any copies of Scythe that end up in your hand a lot less dead, and having your opponent hit something like is going to be a pretty big impact in the game.

You waste their card, then they shrug because you are playing abyss actors and each of their cards is worth two of yours. Even with artifacts, you might be doing something well, but that thing isn't too terribly worth doing.

In a casual setting, sure, this card rocks and is going to ruin someone's day, but this isn't the magic ingredient that makes a bad archetype good.

Archived