Photo

[Sakura] The enemy's weakest point is where you must hit! [Psychic LINK] (14/?)

- - - - - sakura standard mr4 links psychic wind

Necrobump!

Guest, the last post on this topic is over 30 days old and a new post will be considered as necrobumping!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Flash Flyer - Sakura

Flash Flyer - Sakura

大閃光の心霊龍主人公

• Moderators

• 40,503 posts
    Last Visit Nov 14 2018 11:17 PM
  • Discord:Sakura#2014
  • Spouse:Latias and Sapphy-chan
Cards

Notepad

More cards will be added, tentatively, but it depends on some playtesting and yeah, feedback. Will mostly be another Main Deck monster and probably a few Links for options. Going to try not to add too much, but should be able to run it as its own Deck; not as a sub-engine for other stuff.

For now, it should be somewhat functional on its own and not going to cause silly things to happen, but I may be wrong about this.

====

Reps/likes will be given for reviews that are written properly and civilly.

Edited by Flash Flyer - Sakura, 21 June 2018 - 12:04 AM.
General edits; also Alpha modified so not literal E-Tele for them (with mods)

Card Directory and TCG Decks
Viva Club Espeon!
Extra Images / GFX stuff
Zootopia GIFs (I have too many of them in here -_-)
Character results
YCM Accolades

IzFJLd3.pngJAYSUMQ.gif

Pokémon X / AS / Sun FC: 4098-4005-6931

(If you add my code, make sure you tell me so I can add you back)

Black D'Sceptyr

Black D'Sceptyr

The Aspect-Advent Author

• Postseason Champion
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts
    Last Visit Today, 05:55 AM
  • Discord:https://discord.gg/DzHf9s3
(system down, reinitializing for REVIEW MODE)

(please press any key to continue)

(no there ISN'T A KEY CALLED "ANY" you technological troglodyte)

(okay, "B for BDSceptyr" is already too many keys and the program is already starting but whatever) 

Alrighty then, to these cards. Seeing as this is the first stand-alone WIND Psychic archetype, it seems to reflect the spirit of Palladions, though without the immediate necessity of the Extra Deck to strike at the opponent. I like it already, though I'm more cool on Special-Summon-reliant Archetypes than I used to be, thanks to the combination of a glut of Solemn Traps, Extra Linking, and The Monarchs Erupt being things.
Psyshock Monsters Review

Psyshock Spell/Trap Review (with mentions to Gamma Wave)

Seems my verdict of it is done. 

Let's try to put some solid numbers on it, based on the El Exordio Del Duelista ratings board, which I'm totally not ripping off by calling the D'Sceptyr Duel Report, no bob sirree. 

Power: 8 (tooling with the opponent's ATK/DEF stats on battle makes every Deck that's not Link-focused quiver, especially some which can't exactly handle that (Monarchs and 

Defense: 7.5 (Field Spell's power and the Quick-Play Spell Alpha Wave helps get this over 5, but the other options being in access to Link-2 and aboves means that without that, there's a lot of ways to break the Strikers' flow. .5 is given for the synergy of Alpha Wave with the Link-2s to help them better get into Main Monster Zones, I like that.)

Consistency: 5 (if you don't open with Expy, mill/recover with Casey (which is reliant on a Limited card, most likely) or your crapshoot with Kyria fails, there isn't a whole lot of ways to make sure stuff gets in your hand that needs to be there. Akazuki, especially.)

Versatility: 7 (disguised Aggro through the Strikers's effects, check. Link climbing with relative ease, check. Control with Shinreiyu? Okay, but on the same scale as Arch-Lord Palladion-its something you have to build into and hold down, and it may not be the easiest thing to do with them. Interaction with the Mekk-Knights could help in this regard, though, the same it did the Palladions
Recovery: 4 (...yeah, this doesn't exactly offer a lot to do once your Alpha Waves run dry, and not one of the monsters offer much but battle avoidance on the opponent's turns, outside of Shinreiyu.)

Draw Power: 2/5 
Control: 4/5
Burn: 1/5
OTK/FTK: 2/5
Stamina: 3/5
Comeback: 2/5
Swarm: 3.5/5

So, yeah, this looks okay, may need some help to get into Tier 2, but I don't think it'll be that much. Great work, Sakura. I love the Archetype, personally.

BDS's new TCG/OCG Card Grading Metric
BD'S' 10 Credos of Cardmaking
The Eternal Debate: Can another Duel Spirit turned Boss-in-Three go together with Yubel in harmony?

I mean, s'not like I'm wholly obsessed with the greatest antagonist in Yugioh history some random Duel Spirit or something...

Posted Image

Brought to you by The BlaDeS of Change Workshop, now also available on DeviantArt.

And remember kids...

In this world, overcome the odds one card at a time. EVERYONE STARTS AS SCRAP. S'up to you whether you forge it into the change you want to see or not.

Flash Flyer - Sakura

Flash Flyer - Sakura

大閃光の心霊龍主人公

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators

• 40,503 posts

Well, considering that this was technically a thought experiment that came out of a randomizer (well, the general specs otherwise), yeah, this does need work to make this serviceable for higher levels. 

Recovery is an issue, which I do need to give them and well, maybe less battle reliant (and I'm fully aware Links don't give a shit because they only have ATK to work with anyway). 

====

As for Gamma, it's supposed to banish the opponent's monster, FACE-UP (I went back and forth between face-up and down, so either notepad forgot to erase the old one or w/e). But yeah, clarification that it's face-up only. I'll go update the OP. 

I did have an archetypal equivalent of E-Teleport in here (well, off-site anyway, but I won't post it here for obvious reasons, even with restriction to prevent it being a clone). We'll see how stuff goes (and might update a few of the cards as suggested).

Viva Club Espeon!
Extra Images / GFX stuff
Character results
YCM Accolades

IzFJLd3.pngJAYSUMQ.gif

Eshai

Eshai

It's pronounced "Eeshay"

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts
    Last Visit Aug 16 2018 05:12 AM
  • Discord:CMEshai#4706

Alright. Since BDSceptyr reviewed the power level I might as well review the design philosophies.

Lets look at the gimmick: "If this card battles an opponent's monster, apply either that monster's ATK or DEF from damage calculation (whichever is lower)." (see Evil HERO Infernal Wing for most recent wording (yeah this wording isn't used too often)

The gimmick itself is pretty meh. 

For starters, it hasn't aged well due to Link Format making it a bit redundant against some Decks as well as boss monsters tending to have good enough stats both ways. This says [Sakura] not [AGM] so I can only assume the most recent meta is what you're using for power reference. The main problem is that it doesn't really have any consequences that the card can exploit outside of some generic support, and doesn't give your opponent a way to properly screw with you unless they built their Deck acknowledging the existence of yours. If you really want players to do that you need to exploit the mechanic and emphasize on its use more, and I don't feel your archetype's effects really interact with the mechanic enough.

A couple ways of making the mechanic more interesting would be actually be buffing your opponent's monsters as a sort of cost for effects. For example, increasing their ATK would mean nothing if their DEF is lower to begin with, and similarly increasing the DEF wouldn't mean anything either. However, you'd have to be careful with your opponent controlling monsters with stats that you wouldn't want to buff, since buffing their lower stat gives them a proper offense, and if they have Link monsters then you're going to have to have it as a real cost.

In response to opponent's ATK/DEF manipulation, I might also make cards similar to Fissure, Hammer Shot, and Smashing Ground where they don't target, but rather destroy monsters based on their stats, whether that's destroying the monster with the lowest ATK or the highest DEF. With this, you can get around some forms of protection while simultaneously having control over what monsters you're screwing with if you're using the previous gimmick.

Anyways hopefully that gave you some ideas on how to further implement the mechanic. There are probably even better ways of doing this but its midnight and I'm a bit tired.

[background=transparent]Duelist Port Royal (link here):[/background][background=transparent] Will be making cards, archetypes, and hosting tournaments on the Duel-Portal. If you have good ideas, like creating card art, or you would just like to test your own cards in real gameplay on the Duel-Portal, feel free to PM me or contact us on the club page.
My DPR Generics
[/background]

Flash Flyer - Sakura

Flash Flyer - Sakura

大閃光の心霊龍主人公

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators

• 40,503 posts

Alright. Since BDSceptyr reviewed the power level I might as well review the design philosophies.

Lets look at the gimmick: "If this card battles an opponent's monster, apply either that monster's ATK or DEF from damage calculation (whichever is lower)." (see Evil HERO Infernal Wing for most recent wording (yeah this wording isn't used too often)

The gimmick itself is pretty meh. 

For starters, it hasn't aged well due to Link Format making it a bit redundant against some Decks as well as boss monsters tending to have good enough stats both ways. This says [Sakura] not [AGM] so I can only assume the most recent meta is what you're using for power reference. The main problem is that it doesn't really have any consequences that the card can exploit outside of some generic support, and doesn't give your opponent a way to properly screw with you unless they built their Deck acknowledging the existence of yours. If you really want players to do that you need to exploit the mechanic and emphasize on its use more, and I don't feel your archetype's effects really interact with the mechanic enough.

A couple ways of making the mechanic more interesting would be actually be buffing your opponent's monsters as a sort of cost for effects. For example, increasing their ATK would mean nothing if their DEF is lower to begin with, and similarly increasing the DEF wouldn't mean anything either. However, you'd have to be careful with your opponent controlling monsters with stats that you wouldn't want to buff, since buffing their lower stat gives them a proper offense, and if they have Link monsters then you're going to have to have it as a real cost.

In response to opponent's ATK/DEF manipulation, I might also make cards similar to Fissure, Hammer Shot, and Smashing Ground where they don't target, but rather destroy monsters based on their stats, whether that's destroying the monster with the lowest ATK or the highest DEF. With this, you can get around some forms of protection while simultaneously having control over what monsters you're screwing with if you're using the previous gimmick.

Anyways hopefully that gave you some ideas on how to further implement the mechanic. There are probably even better ways of doing this but its midnight and I'm a bit tired.

Considering that this does have Link Monsters (and Draco is adamant about not adding them to AGM anytime soon), yeah, it's more for figuring out how to work in MR4. If you want to know why AGM isn't going full-on MR4, refer to the last couple pages in the club for reasoning. 

I could probably go with the latter option and add more support cards that can give you control over what to get rid of. Preferably archetypal equivalents that can be searched/retrieved via Espy and Casey. Other things I had in mind were probably giving them a card that can flat out drop a stat to zero (and then it wouldn't matter if bosses had relatively good stats on either spectrum, because it'd still be hitting at 0). Rather not buff the opponent's stats because yeah, it is counterproductive (unless I end up making a Ragna Zero type monster for them that would otherwise trigger on that). 

As far as the wording goes, it's technically from the late 5Ds era and hasn't been properly reprinted in PSCT (and yeah, isn't developed much). 

====

In terms of things to do for the archetype right now (least from what both of you mentioned, and that half-assed attempt to test in solitaire mode on DP):

• Better ways to recycle more cards, as Casey can only retrieve one per turn and that's assuming you still have it out by then. 
  • Ways to address handling monsters that are otherwise good on either spectrum, at least outside Gamma Wave as far as removal goes. (IDK, I should make it banish face-down).
    • Just add a card that strips stat to zero or something that can put continuous pressure on stats, so they're within range to be killed if you do not get Shinreiryu out to soften them up.
    • Something like Great Ogre could be considered (well, adapt it a bit so it doesn't screw over your monsters)

But then again, if stuff doesn't pan out, I'll probably shelve this archetype and work on another one, then return to it later. Probably can make it work, but we'll have to see how it goes. 

Viva Club Espeon!
Extra Images / GFX stuff
Character results
YCM Accolades

IzFJLd3.pngJAYSUMQ.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users