Ecclestial Archetype [WRITTEN, AGM]

Tinkerer

Hello... fine... peoples...

Ugh...

So I did this whole thing today and it was long and annoying and each card's text is about as lengthy as a Harry Potter novel and when I tried to post this the first time, I accidentally ported away before the post went through so... yeah.

Anyways, here's the prompt:

Ecclestial
Synchro-centric archetype of LIGHT monsters whose members have roles of clerics, priests, priestesses, healers, monks, witch doctors, shamans, sages, etc., and are pretty much a church/ecclesiastical organization. But the catch is that they are all Fiend monsters, and resemble demons. They go to show that not all devils are evil.
Their playstyles are LP gain and single-use protection from destruction in a similar fashion to "Return of the Dragon Lords" and the latest Six Samurais. They generate card advantage and plays when you gain LP, and most of their effects include a small to average LP gain bonus (e.g. an inverse Volcasaurus effect that gives you LP instead of burning the opponent), for them to be are able to trigger themselves. Basically they are Aromages done better, and with better support. Also they benefit from techs that give you LP, namely Ancient Fairy Dragon, Juragedo, etc.

This deck's playstyle is unusual in that it doesn't exactly conform to being much of an aggro, control, or stun deck.  Instead, it's a deck that specializes in breaking opponent's boards through different types of removal and swinging for damage while using their LP gain to soak up damage instead of directly inhibiting the opponent's plays (though they have a small capacity to do the latter).

[spoiler=Main Deck]
Ecclestial Healer
LIGHT *
Scale: 5<>5
Fiend/Pendulum/Effect
PE: If you have more LP than your opponent: you can have your opponent gain 500 LP.  If you activate this effect, you can Normal Summon 1 "Ecclestial" monster in addition to your Normal Summon/Set.  If an "Ecclestial" monster(s) you control would be destroyed by battle: you can destroy this card instead.
ME: When you gain LP: you can Special Summon this card from your hand, and if you do, gain 200 LP for each face-up Spell/Trap card on the field.  When you gain LP: you can add 1 "Ecclestial" Pendulum monster from your Deck or GY to your Extra Deck face-up.  If this card is destroyed, gain 1000 LP.
100/700

Ecclestial Priestess
LIGHT *
Fiend/Pendulum/Effect
PE: You can target 1 "Ecclestial" monster you control; Special Summon this card, and if you do, gain LP equal to half that monster's ATK.  When you gain LP: you can target 1 Spell/Trap card on the field; shuffle it into the Deck.
ME: If an "Ecclestial" Spell/Trap card(s) would be destroyed: you can add this card from your hand to your Extra Deck face-up; those cards are not destroyed, also, gain 300 LP for each card that would have been destroyed.  If you have more LP than your opponent while this card is face-up in your Extra Deck and you have an empty Pendulum Zone: you can place this card in one of your empty Pendulum Zones.  You can only use this effect of "Ecclestial Priestess" once per turn.
500/200

Ecclestial Cleric
LIGHT ***
Scale: 0<>0
Fiend/Pendulum/Tuner/Effect
PE: If you have more LP than your opponent: you can destroy this card and place 1 "Ecclestial" Pendulum monster from your Deck in one of your unoccupied Pendulum Zones, then gain 300 LP.  You can only use this effect of "Ecclestial Cleric" once per turn.  If exactly 1 "Ecclestial" card you control would be destroyed by a card effect: you can shuffle this card into your Deck instead.
ME: When you gain LP: you can target up to 2 face-up "Ecclestial" monsters in your Extra Deck; add them to your hand.  Once per turn: when a Fiend monster you control inflicts battle damage to your opponent: you can have both players gain LP equal to the amount of damage inflicted.  If this card is used as Material for the Summon of a non-Fiend-type monster: banish it.
1200/1050

Ecclestial Monk
LIGHT ***
Fiend/Pendulum/Tuner/Effect
PE: If you have more LP than your opponent: you can Special Summon 1 "Ecclestial" monster from your Deck, and if you do, gain 400 LP, then destroy this card.  When an "Ecclestial" card(s) you control is destroyed: gain LP equal to the number of face-up Spell/Traps on the field x 200.
ME: If you have more LP than your opponent: you can Special Summon this card from your hand, but banish it if it is used as Material for the Summon of a non-LIGHT monster.  When you gain LP: you can target 1 face-up monster your opponent controls; flip that target into face-down defense position.  Monsters flipped into face-down defense position by this effect cannot change their battle position.
500/1700

Ecclestial Templar
LIGHT ****
Fiend/Pendulum/Effect
PE: When you gain LP: you can target 1 monster on the field; destroy that target.  If an "Ecclestial" monster(s) you control would be destroyed by battle: you can target 1 of those monsters; destroy this card, and if you do, add 2 "Ecclestial" monsters from your Deck to your hand, and if you do that, gain LP equal to the Level of the target x 100.
ME: When this card is Normal Summoned: you can pay 800 LP; add 1 "Ecclestial" Spell or Trap from your Deck to your hand.  Once per turn: if you activate an "Ecclestial" Spell/Trap card or effect, gain 800 LP when the activation/effect resolves.
1700/1400

Ecclestial Shaman
LIGHT ****
Fiend/Pendulum/Effect
PE: When you gain LP: you can pay 1000 LP; add 1 "Ecclestial" monster from your Deck to your hand.  Once per turn, if you have more LP than your opponent: you can Synchro Summon 1 Synchro monster during your opponent's Main Phase or Battle Phase.
ME: If you have more LP than your opponent when an effect is activated that would destroy exactly 1 "Ecclestial" card you control: Negate the effect, and if you do, destroy that card, then gain 600 LP. If both your Pendulum Zones are filled: you can add 1 "Ecclestial" Spell or Trap from your GY to your hand then gain 100 LP.  You cannot Pendulum Summon during the turn you activte this effect.  You can only use each effect of "Ecclestial Shaman" once per turn.
1500/1900

[spoiler=Synchros]
Ecclestial Paladin
LIGHT ****
Scale: 0<>5
Fiend/Synchro/Pendulum/Effect
1 Pendulum Tuner + 1 or more non-tuner monsters
PE: You can target 1 "Ecclestial" card you control; destroy that target and Special Summon this card.  Once per turn: you can gain 100 LP for every 3 face-up "Ecclestial" monsters in your Extra Deck.
ME: If this card is Special Summoned: you can destroy 1 card on the field.  
If you have more LP than your opponent while this card is face-up in your Extra Deck and you have an empty Pendulum Zone: you can place this card in one of your empty Pendulum Zones.  You can only use this effect of "Ecclestial Paladin" once per turn.
2000/1500

Ecclestial Sage
LIGHT 7*
1 Pendulum Tuner + 1 or more non-tuner monsters
PE: You can target 1 "Ecclestial" card you control; destroy that target and Special Summon this card.  Once per turn, during your opponent's Main Phase: you can gain 300 LP for each face-up Spell/Trap card on the field.
ME: If this card is Special Summoned: you can shuffle up to 2 "Ecclestial" monsters from your Extra Deck into your Deck and target an equal number of cards your opponent controls; shuffle them into their owner's Deck.  You can place 1 face-up "Ecclestial" monster from your Extra Deck into an empty Pendulum Zone.  If you have more LP than your opponent while this card is face-up in your Extra Deck and you have an empty Pendulum Zone: you can place this card in one of your empty Pendulum Zones.  You can only use each effect of "Ecclestial Sage" once per turn.
2500/2000

Ecclestial Oracle
LIGHT 10*
1 Pendulum Tuner + 1 Synchro Monster
PE: If you gain LP: inflict damage to your opponent equal to the amount of LP you gained.  The effects of "Ecclestial" cards cannot be negated.
ME: When this card is Synchro Summoned: you can add up to 3 face-up "Ecclestial" monsters from your Extra Deck to your hand, and if you do, add an equal number of "Ecclestial" monsters from your Deck to your Extra Deck face-up, then gain 1000 LP.  You can only control 1 "Ecclestial Oracle".  If you have more LP than your opponent: you can activate this effect at the start of a Phase: pay half your LP; end that Phase.  If this card leaves the field: you can place it in an empty Pendulum Zone (if both of your Pendulum Zones are full, you can destroy 1 card in one of those Zones and place this card in that Zone).
3000/2500

[spoiler=Spells/Traps]
Ecclestial's Grace
Continuous Spell
When a card(s) you control is destroyed: gain 500 LP for each.  If this face-up card is destroyed: you can draw 1 card.

Temple of Ecclestials
Field Spell
If you have more LP than your opponent: All LIGHT Monsters you control gain 300 ATK for every 1000 LP you have over your opponent.  The first time each Pendulum Summoned "Ecclestial" monster you control would be destroyed by battle each turn, it is not destroyed.  You can destroy 1 other card you control or in your hand, and if you do, add 1 "Ecclestial" monster from your Deck to your hand.  You can only use this effect of "Temple of Ecclestials" once per turn.

Riches of Ecclestials
Spell
Gain 3000 LP.  During the End Phase of the next turn, take 3000 damage.  You can destroy cards you control to reduce damage you take by this effect by 1000 for each.

Ecclestial Charity
Continuous Trap
Once per turn, if your opponent has more LP than you do: you can add 1 "Ecclestial" monster from your Deck to your Extra Deck; gain 1000 LP.  You cannot conduct your Battle Phase the turn you activate this effect.  If this face-up card is destroyed: draw 1 card.

Ecclestial Heresy
Trap
Banish 5 face-up "Ecclestial" cards from your Extra Deck; swap LP with your opponent.

Anyways, if anyone wants to comment on this monstrosity of an archetype, feel free.  Any comments would be much appreciated.

Cheers!

A Synchro Pendulum archetype, huh. That was quite the surprise.

They look good enough at first glance. Hopefully the Trap won't distort the archetype into an alternate form of Life Equalizer OTK.

It bugs me a bit that some of the when you gain LP" effects miss timing, since they are both "when" and "you can" effects. IMO you can make them not miss timing without breaking anything.

Priestess and Templar appear to be the main board controllers if you pair them on the Pendulum Zones. By the way, one of Templar's effect as the condition "If an "Ecclestial" monster(s) you control would be destroyed by battle...", but then it doesn't state what happens to the would-be destroyed monster, so it confuses me why it has a "would be" condition if it doesn't prevent the destruction nor anything.

I find amusing how you can make use of destruction engines like Metalfoes, Diagram, Sky Iris, etc. to pop the Spells and get the searches while maintaining card advantage and dig into the deck. Then again, thay have their own engine in Temple.

By the way, the Cont.Trap adds the monster as the cost of the effect. Was that intended?

Pretty much everything about this archetype, from the continuous trap sending as cost to the fact they all can miss timing so you can't stack 5+ effects at once was actually intentional.  However I did have trouble gauging how comparatively powerful it would be if I let certain limitations loose, so I wanted to keep things close at hand (at least at first).

Templar though... I need to rework.  It had actually gone through two iterations so I think I'd messed up and left some things held over.  I'll try fixing it up later.  Thanks for the catch!

Archived