Cloudian Support

SecondSeraphim

Cloudian – Nimbostratus        WATER/Fairy/LV4                  ATK 1100 DEF 0        

This card cannot be destroyed by battle. If this card is in face-up Defense Position, destroy it. When you Normal Summon this card, place 1 Fog Counter on it for each "Cloudian" monster on the field. You can remove 1 Fog Counters from this card to banish a card from your opponent’s GY.

Cloudian – Cumulonimbus      WATER/Fairy/LV4                  ATK 600 DEF 0                                  

This card cannot be destroyed by battle. If this card is in face-up Defense Position, destroy it. When you Normal Summon this card, place 1 Fog Counter on it for each "Cloudian" monster on the field. You can remove 2 Fog Counters from this card and if you do, immediately after this effect resolves, you can Normal Summon a “Cloudian" monster.

Cloudian – Cirrocumulus        WATER/Fairy/Link                  ATK 1400 / L2             DL, DR

2 WATER monsters

This card and “Cloudian” monsters this card points to cannot be destroyed by battle or card effects. If a monster is Normal Summoned into a Zone this card points to, place a Fog Counters on this card. Once per turn you can move any number of Fog Counters from this card to a different “Cloudian” monster you control.

Cloudian Shifting Weather     Continuous Trap

If you control no Defense Position monsters, you can activate this card the turn it was set. Once per turn, if you remove Fog Counters from a “Cloudian” monster you control, you can place an equal number of Fog Counters on a “Cloudian” monster you control with a different original name. If you would receive Battle Damage while you control a monster, you can destroy this card to make that damage 0. You can only control 1 face-up “Cloudian Shifting Weather”.

Cloudian Sudden Storm          Normal Trap

Target a “Cloudian” monster you control and remove a number of Fog Counters from that monster that you normally would to activate its effect. The effect of this card on the field becomes the effect if that monster as if you had removed those counters. During your turn while this card is in your GY, except the turn this card was sent to the GY, you can banish this card and any number of “Cloudian” monsters from your GY to target a “Cloudian” monster you control; place a number of Fog Counters on it equal to the total number of banished cards.

Cloudian Kingdom                  Field Spell

“Cloudian” monsters you control cannot be changed to Defense Position by card effects. Each time a “Cloudian” monster you control battles, you can place a Fog Counter on it. If you would receive 500 or more damage from a battle involving a “Cloudian” monster, that damage becomes 500 instead.

Cloudian Building Winds        Continuous Spell

During either player’s turn, you can target a “Cloudian” monster you control. It gains 400 ATK for each Fog Counter on it, also if it inflicts Battle Damage to the opponent this turn remove all Fog Counters from it. If this card is sent to the GY, you can target a “Cloudian” monster in your GY; add it to your hand.

Firstly, I really like Cirrocumulus. Neat protection for itself, deals with the Defense Position thing but not in a way that feels out of place, while doing a thematically appropriate means of getting lots of fog counters and enabling your monsters even without the swarm...but the problem here is that you need to swarm in the first place to get out this monster. It's a decent card, but it doesn't fix any of the problems already present in Cloudians.

This issue extends to most of the rest of the set. Nimbostratus would be a neat card, being on the same power level on the rest of them...except that said power level is beyond low. Their counter placement is also slow, although that's mostly a fault of their swarming, and that issue extends to Sudden Storm, which has a GY effect that doesn't search, or NS, or even SS. I mean, the card's second effect helps the first effect, but that means you're going to have to use 2 copies of the card for it to be any use at all. Shifting Weather also helps but it needs the actual counter placement in the first place. 

Cumulonimbus is perhaps the only other decent card in the set. Unfortunately, like the rest of Cloudians, it needs to swarm first in order to be useful, but one other Cloudian shouldn't be too much to ask for; I just wish this more supportive strength was prevalent throughout your set, but unfortunately most of your cards seem to fit with Cloudian's current power level, rather than boost it.

The only real bad card I'd say here is Cloudian Kingdom. First effect is rather situational, and you can use the Link to deal with it in a more effective manner; Fog Counter placement is alright, but the only time it's really any use is with Cirrocumulus, landing you an Extra Summon, and its only a tiny boost in strength that relies on a good hand to be somewhat playable. The last effect is almost completely overshadowed by The Sanctuary in the Sky, only being somewhat useful for those Fiend Cloudians.

From what I can see, Cloudians need speed, mostly in swarming so that their Fog Counters are somewhat useful. A bit of searching is nice too, and while your protection from battle damage with your field is alright, I feel you could be a bit more creative in terms of some way of minimizing damage. 

I had an alternative effect for Kingdom, but I felt it was overpowered in the era of Links, Synchros, and XYZ. I'll go ahead and post it though.

Cloudian Kingdom                  Field Spell

You can not Normal Summon monsters, other than Cloudian monsters, also you can Normal Summon a "Cloudian” monster as an additional Normal Summon each turn. Once per turn, if you would receive Battle Damage from a battle involving a "Cloudian" monster you control, you can make that damage 0. If you would draw exactly 1 card, you can remove a Fog Counter from the field; add a "Cloudian" monster from your Deck to your hand instead.

As for the rest, I really don't know what to do. Cloudians are just fun to play with but are kinda terrible at pretty much everything.

That effect isn't even that great. It's better than what you currently have, but it's still slow. You have Traps, effects that only work when you end up drawing after you've done with your turn/begin your next turn, but the problem lies in actually setting up a good field so that all of these other slow cards are usable.

I think you could speed them up. There's not too much you can do, as you say, but what you currently have doesn't even make them stronger, save for the obvious Link.

Archived