[SOFU] Super Thunder Dragon + Galaxy Eyes Link

309_20180608041121_arpX8J4oYpgxaRfOwRkFq

Super Thunder Dragon - Thunder Dragon
Level 8 - DARK - Thunder / Fusion / Effect
ATK 2600 / DEF 2400

"Thunder Dragon" + 1 Thunder monster
This card can only be Special Summoned by Fusion Summon or the following method.
● During the turn you activated the effect of a Thunder monster in your hand, you can tribute 1 Thunder effect monster, except a Fusion Monster, to Special Summon this card from your Extra Deck. (You do not use "Polymerization".)
(1) Your opponent cannot add cards from the Deck to the hand, except by drawing them.
(2) If this card would be destroyed by battle or card effect, you can banish 1 Thunder monster from your GY instead.

Galaxy-Eyes Solflare Dragon
LIGHT - Dragon / Link / Effect
LINK 2 - ATK 2000 - BL / BR

2 LIGHT Monsters, including at least 1 monster with 2000 or more ATK
The (1) and (2) effects of this card's name can each only be used once per turn.
(1) If this card is Link Summoned: You can target 1 "Photon" or "Galaxy" monster in your GY; add that monster to your hand.
(2) During your opponent's Main Phase (Quick Effect): You can discard 1 "Photon" and 1" Galaxy" card OR 1 "Galaxy-Eyes Photon Dragon", then target 1 Special Summoned monster your opponent controls; Destroy that monster.

So Galaxy Eyes get more support with Solflare which being a 2 down marker with 2000 ATK with recycle and searching effects which is nice for Photon/Galaxy.

Super Thunder Dragon is a nice call back to the original Thunder Dragon which this where it can just summon itself off tributing a Thunder Monster when a Thunder Monsters effect is triggered. To say at least this would be decent in a Hunder and Batteryman decks as a wall esc beatstick since it can protect itself by banishing Thunder Monsters in your grave.

So, does anyone else find it absolutely delightful that Photon Sanctuary can pretty much fart out Soulflare who then does some recovery, or is it just me? Although the destruction effect is a bit to pricey for my liking, even for it being a quick effect. I think we might have Drancia to thank for them being a bit gun shy when it comes to quick-effect destruction. Still, at least it's easy for Photon-Galaxy to make in any case.

So, does anyone else find it absolutely delightful that Photon Sanctuary can pretty much fart out Soulflare who then does some recovery, or is it just me? Although the destruction effect is a bit to pricey for my liking, even for it being a quick effect. I think we might have Drancia to thank for them being a bit gun shy when it comes to quick-effect destruction. Still, at least it's easy for Photon-Galaxy to make in any case.

too bad soulflare can only retrieve monsters. Would actually be pretty worthwhile otherwise.

Effect 2 feels aggressively mediocre without GEPD, and with it you are over investing for what is essentially aegaion.

Super thunder dragon is silly easy to summon, discarding thunder dragon and tributing any thunder. Reminiscent of dark law, as a mistake from the ED, but the summon being limited to SS1 hurts a ton.

Damn, that Thunder Dragon looks so cool art-wise and IMO good effect-wise. I like that it has such an underused Typing, as well. Now to recap Thunder hands traps that can enable it. At the moment I can only think of Thunder Dragon and Seahorse. Is there anything that you can play during the opponent's turn? Would that enable you to Summon it during the opponent's turn?

The Galaxy Link looks good enough to me. Relatively easy to Summon, I wonder how splashable it can be considering you can run stuff like Photon Thrasher in LIGHT decks to access it. The stun effect is costly, but seems only fair to me for a Link2 with such material requirements.

Thunder Dragon support, and it's also Thunder support in form of a new Fusion Monster for them, what a time to be alive! It has a quite odd Summoning condition, but putting down a Mistake for your opponent is wonderful, got decent ATK too and a protection effect doesn't hurt, but I still feel like there is missing something there, but it's a start.

As for the Galaxy-Eyes Link Monster, well it's alright, nice that you get to replenish your resources, I just wish that it did more to get them going again after that, since most Photons aren't super easy to get out in the first place when making this card. Still, Photon Sanctuary is of course the best way to get this out.

Something I love about the link besides obvious photon usage is that it's a better proxy Dragon for Blue-Eyes. It is easy to summon, can recycle the xyz galaxy-eyes cards in Blue-Eyes as well as allowing you to easily create this and a xyz or synchro in one turn. If you run galaxy soldier in Blue-Eyes, then this is a easy card to go to with it while using this to also bring out the photon Lord xyz

Is Thunder Dragon the only monster that can enable Super Thunder Dragon's alternative summoning condition? Sea Horse locks out special summoning for the turn, the Thunder Vassal locks you out of the Extra Deck, and the Thunder Subterror's self-summon effect I don't believe activates. Am I missing something?

Even without the alternative Summon method, Super Thunder Dragon seems extremely good. Mistake with a body that can't be gotten rid of conventionally is definitely something worth building a deck around.

After a quick check, here's what I found that allows the summoning of super thunder dragon:

•thunder dragon

•subterror beast voltelluric

•mist valley thunderbird

Not a long list. Not a very good list, either. Mithra would have been absolutely amazing, if not for the fact it has the ED locked tacked on. Batteryman Fuel Cell might maybe work, but I'm almost certain that's just a pre-psct inherent summon.

So... The effect is nice, but it seems the only reasonable way to summon it is by fusion summon, and it just doesn't feel worth it at that point. Thunderbird is pretty effective if you can reliably bounce it, and thunder dragon seems pretty functional with firewall dragon. Voltelluric also exists!!??!

That being said, the set will probably contain more enablers.

After a quick check, here's what I found that allows the summoning of super thunder dragon:

•thunder dragon

•mist valley thunderbird

Not a long list. Not a very good list, either. Mithra would have been absolutely amazing, if not for the fact it has the ED locked tacked on. Batteryman Fuel Cell might maybe work, but I'm almost certain that's just a pre-psct inherent summon.

So... The effect is nice, but it seems the only reasonable way to summon it is by fusion summon, and it just doesn't feel worth it at that point. Thunderbird is pretty effective if you can reliably bounce it, and thunder dragon seems pretty functional with firewall dragon. Voltelluric also exists!!??!

That being said, the set will probably contain more enablers.

Voltelluric at least shows that a Subterror deck can work Super Thunder Dragon in without any effort at all, and that's actually very good for them, because a card like that is just an explicitly strong addition to any opening field.

Reminder that Pendulums teaches 3 Thunder Dragon to make Pleiades back before VRAINS

Thats still pretty memey, but it gets you two of this funker, which is 5600 damage, without accounting for any other cards used.

Isn't the bigger sell currently Shaddolls? With 2 construct pushing Thunder Dragon makes more sense than a deck that both formats have gutted beyond viability 

but how are you summoning a thunder in shaddolls

If fusion summon, why are you running poly outside of random vyon memes

>gutted beyond viability

lol

Mate...Thunder King shuts down Stand Up

Pendulum Magicians might be BA tier viable OCG side if you run enough Pals, but the deck is dead. 

It's whore's bait TCG side

Denko is also a card

Denko's a pretty sheet point because it requres drawing denko + thunder dragon???

Thunder King isn't 2 bodies with protection off of an old meme.

Pendulums as a whole aren't Pendulum Magician. They're not the deck that did this meme.

Denko's a pretty sheet point because it requres drawing denko + thunder dragon???

Thunder King isn't 2 bodies with protection off of an old meme.

Pendulums as a whole aren't Pendulum Magician. They're not the deck that did this meme.

My error then, when I think pendulum, it's PM or maybe PEPE 

Sorry

1900 that can stop inherent summons (Which include Brandish Links) is a decent light in a deck that only really has 1 searching card (Hedgehog)

normal summon solar batteryman and mill 9v (or summon 9v and search either charger or solar)

discard thunder dragon to use the eff (do this first the first time, because who the hell would ash this the first time you pull it off, and second the next time, because the ash will likely be used on the 9v mill before they see this coming)

tribute the solar batteryman to summon super thunder.

what comes next depends on what you have, but a 28 body that prevents the most common method of building your hand, is a far better ending to the original first turn battery board, than ending on just one monster that's liable to die.

[spoiler=but i want to throw out some hypotheticals by adding in one extra card:]

if you use photon lead to drop the 9v,/solar. you can either go into this directly off of the solar, or tribute 9v for charger, who would then bring out solar, who could then mill AAA (for instant r4/l2 plays down the line) tribute the unstable charger for the beefy thunder dragon, get a token from the solar battery, and end the turn on a respectable stun board. (3 cards to do it, but it's not a bad way to go out)

if you have portable battery pack in hand, and you go off the solar play, you can activate said pack during your opponent's turn to ss 9v and solar, giving you a free AAA mill, and a charger/industrial search. 

if you have the regular battery charger, you can respawn the 9v, get a free token, search a fuel cell, summon said cell, make the LIGHT L2, then tribute your remaining weaker battery to drop thunder dragon, ending board on 3300, 2600, and (i believe the Light link would be) 1900 bodies respectively.

assuming you have photon sanctuary, you could summon solar, mill 9v, activate scanctuary, get 3 tokens (1 from solar) make the L2, turn the 3rd one into the fusion, and have a board of 2k, 3300, and 1900. / or summon 9v, search charger or solar, turn one the tokens and 9v into the L2, and turn the other into thunder dragon

all of which are pretty basic 3 card combos for battermen. nothing amazing, but before ging for the kill, each one is still better than what batteries had to use before this card existed. also, each one assumes you would be going first, and can be tweaked in places to provide some decent board breaking power if you happen to be going second.

it's not the greatest card ever, but it provides a couple of decent first turn plays to batteries that they wouldn't have otherwise.

•thunder dragon

•mist valley thunderbird

electric virus is a reasonable sideboard one that could potentially see this as sugoi tech with riplodocus since it ends up with a phat rai-oh on board

• 3 weeks later...

Archived