Psyko Beast [WRITTEN] (WIP)

Tinkerer

Hello, fine peoples!

I've had this idea for an archetype for a while and I'd ended up writing it down, but I'd never gotten around to posting it. The reason it is currently still a WIP is because I needed to rework the Spell/Trap lineup and I hadn't initially made Synchros at all despite the deck's focus on constantly having tuners and non-tuners on the field at the same time.

[spoiler Field Spell]
Psyko Beast Forest
Field Spell
"Psyko Beast" monsters you control can target monsters you control for an attack. If a "Psyko Beast" monster declares an attack: you can increase or decrease its ATK by 200. "Psyko Beast" cards cannot be negated.

I needed to start with the field spell just because the rest of the archetype would be kinda underwhelming otherwise. The card is simple: it lets you attack your own monsters. The ATK boost/drop is relatively negligible but it is permanent and it even lets you modulate your opponent's Psyko Beasts in a mirror match.

[spoiler Monsters]
Psyko Beast Armadillo
EARTH L1
Beast/Tuner/Effect
Your opponent takes all battle damage from battles involving this card. If this card is Normal or Special Summoned: you can shuffle 4 "Psyko Beast" cards from your GY into your Deck; draw 2 cards. If this card is destroyed by battle: you can Special Summon 1 "Psyko Beast" monster from your Deck in defense position.  You can only use each effect of "Psyko Beast Armadillo" once per turn
100/1200

Psyko Beast Rat
EARTH L1
Beast/Tuner/Effect
Your opponent takes all battle damage from battles involving this card. If you control no monsters: you can Special Summon this card from your hand. When this card is Special Summoned: inflict 400 damage to your opponent's LP. If this card is destroyed by battle, you can Special Summon up to 2 "Psyko Beast Rat" from your hand or deck.
500/600

Psyko Beast Gazelle
EARTH L2
Beast/Tuner/Effect
Your opponent takes all battle damage from battles involving this card. If you control a "Psyko Beast" monster: you can Special Summon this card from your hand. When this card is Special Summoned: gain 600 LP. If this card is destroyed by battle, you can Special Summon up to 2 "Psyko Beast Gazelle" from your hand or Deck.
800/300

Psyko Beast Raccoon
EARTH L3
Beast/Tuner/Effect
Your opponent takes all battle damage from battles involving this card. This card can always be treated as a non-tuner monster. If this card is destroyed by battle or if it destroys a monster by battle: you can Special Summon 1 level 4 or higher non-tuner "Psyko Beast" monster from your GY.
1100/700

Psyko Beast Wolf
EARTH L4
Beast/Effect
Your opponent takes all battle damage from battles involving this card. This card gains 400 ATK for each "Psyko Beast Wolf" you control. If this card destroys a monster by battle: you can Special Summon 1 "Psyko Beast Wolf" from your hand, Deck, or GY.
1200/400

Psyko Beast Leopard
EARTH L4
Beast/Effect
Your opponent takes all battle damage from battles involving this card. When this card is Normal Summoned: you can Special Summon 1 "Psyko Beast" monster from your hand. If this card destroys a monster by battle: you can take 1 "Psyko Beast" Spell/Trap card from your Deck and either add it to your hand or Set it on your side of the field.
1800/800

Psyko Beast Bear
EARTH L6
Beast/Effect
Your opponent takes all battle damage from battles involving this card. If this card destroys a monster by battle: you can return that monster to the hand instead of sending it to the GY. If a card(s) is returned to your hand by this effect: this card can declare a second attack this turn. "Psyko Beast" monsters cannot be destroyed by card effects.
2400/1000

With the field spell out of the way, these should make sense. The non-Tuners are predators while the tuners are prey and they get effects that reflect this. Thematically, they link their life with the opponent so that the opponent feels the pain of their death.

[spoiler Extra Deck]
Psyko Beast Golden Calf
EARTH L5
Beast/Synchro/Effect
1 Tuner + 1+ non-Tuner EARTH monsters
Your opponent takes all battle damage from battles involving this card. This card cannot be destroyed by battle. Your opponent cannot activate the effects of monsters with more ATK than this card.
1400/2300

Psyko Beast King Dragon
EARTH L7
Beast/Synchro/Effect
1 EARTH Tuner + 1+ non-Tuner EARTH monsters
Your opponent takes all battle damage from battles involving this card. Once per turn, you can halve this card's ATK and decrease this card's level by 4; add 1 "Psyko Beast" monster from your GY to your hand, and if you do, this card becomes a Tuner. If this card destroys a monster by battle: you can target up to 2 cards (1 Monster and 1 Spell/Trap); destroy those targets.
2800/1600

Again, more of an afterthought than the focus. I wanted to make sure these are bosses that could stand to be used despite their restrictions and with the EMZ (even though the monsters could probably put up Links pretty easily). Probably overdid Calf though.

I plan to finish these up when I get to a computer, but any CnC so far would be much appreciated.

Cheers!

Considering it's been awhile since I've even been here and my Discord has been ranting about you "stealing" an archetype idea that no one here even commented on when I posted it, Imma just review this as I've tested how the mechanic of attacking other monsters you control works on the Duel Portal.

My version is called Future Purge, based off of DOOM with FIRE Fiends and Cyberse monsters, and is combo and OTK oriented. The Deck has it's own problems but you have very basic ones that dont even apply to the mechanic because your archetype explores it very little in the first place. Let me explain.

1. Field Spells are BS and you shouldnt have your gimmick rely on them

You won't always draw it and it won't always stay on the field. Therefore your Deck won't always work as intended. Rather you shouldve just given the clause to all of your non-Tuners (aka the monsters supposed to be the predators), and leaving the Tuners to their own Yubel-esc devices.

The worst part is that you knew your monster line up was meh without it. "needed to start with the field spell just because the rest of the archetype would be kinda underwhelming otherwise". All you have to do is not design the monsters as underwhelming. Your Deck's cool factor is only as good as how consistent it's cool.

2. Your lack of Hard Once Per Turns (HOPTs) is amusing.

You can literally just keep running these monsters into your opponent and then spawing more monsters, leading to mass Deck thin and potentially effortless OTKs. This is especially prevalent due to your better Pot of Avarice that can literally just OTK your opponent on it's own if your opponent has anything good on board. That isn't fun for either player. Just kinda insulting, and RNG based.

In fact,

3. Armadillo is insulting

You can literally just Final Attack Force and attack for game no matter how many LP your opponent has, and on top of that draw 2 cards for each archetype monster that was in the GY before you do this. (Which is easy with all the monsters that cycle themselves into eachother)

This isn't necessarily OP (you have to run Final Attack Force for crying out loud), but it's not fun. Your gimmick is literally irrelevant. It's always better to just attack your monsters into the higher ATK monster. That makes 0 sense mechanically and narratively.

Mechanically it's just not what you were aiming for, Narratively this is like a Gazelle walking into a Leopard's mouth.

So yeah, your Deck isn't "attack other monsters you control". Its "having 10 Mystic Tomatos that are also Yubel and attacking into your opponent's monsters to have them use their effects, deal damage to your opponent, gain an additional attack, and gain advantage."

Anyways no hard feelings. This is my personal opinion from the experiences I've had with the mechanics. Imo for this kind of mechanic to be interesting, it needs at least more than destruction for advantage effects to be interesting in the first place, but having a food chain of sorts sounds kinds fun so I encourage you to try finding something that'll fix all of this.

Anyways I'll go back to my lack of being on this website. Will check back later for your reply.

Oh man, I hadn't noticed you'd done a similar thing, I should check it out!  I like seeing how people take and run with similar ideas, but I suppose you have to take my word for it in me saying I didn't know you did that idea before.  Sorry if it feels like I'm stepping on your toes..

Anyways, thanks for the look-through.  I admit, when an idea comes to me and I start making cards (especially when I'm just writing them down and I don't have my computer handy to look stuff up), I sometimes have a big picture idea and completely miss the little picture, along with, you know, the intent for people to win over playing thematically.  I guess I'll address the concerns in order:

1. I probably should've posted more of the spell/trap lineup because the entirety of it was pretty much based on you attacking yourself.  The field spell isn't the lynchpin, just something that I needed to at least get up on the site with the monster lineup to establish that the theme is attacking yourself (which is what I meant by "underwhelming" since raw battle-based effects aren't all that great regardless).
  2. (and, I guess, 3) I, personally, am generally averse to HOPTs.  I very much try to walk the line with making stuff that doesn't need HOPTs and doesn't loop while still being good enough to play.  This... isn't one of those cases.  Considering i was so focused on attacking yourself, I didn't even think about the OTK potential of attacking the opponent and, well, I might need to break out the ol' HOPT, starting first and foremost with Armadillo.

Retroactive fixes are extremely tough for me though, so I might have to scrap this... Though I had a direction and a theme, this is largely ending up like another archetype that I'd made a while ago that was destruction-heavy, floater heavy, and liable to OTK without my intent for them to work that way.  The whole reason I hadn't put the Spells/Traps up before was because they were an even bigger mess of triggering things than the monsters.  Hopefully I can salvage this, but even if I can't effectively, I've got a bit more info when trying to take on this theme again!

Thanks again for looking into these, E!

Archived