TheImp

The Insatiable One:

Card Type: Effect Monster

Level: 8

Attribute: Dark

Type: Fiend

ATK: 0

DEF: 0

Effect: This card can not be normal summoned or set. This card may be special summoned by banishing any number of cards from your deck. This card gains 500 attack and defense for each banished card. This card can not be targeted by card effects. During your standby phase, banish the top 5 cards from your deck or the control of this card switches. 

Herald of Shadows:

Card Type: Synchro Monster

Level: 5

Type: Spellcaster

ATK: 2250

DEF: 1250

Effect: 1 Tuner + 1 or more Dark Monsters

When this card is synchro summoned, you may add one DARK monster from your deck to your hand. Once per duel, you may sacrifice Herald of Shadows to special summon 1 DARK monster from your hand, ignoring any summoning requirements stated on the card.  

Aendra, The Fairy of the Forest:

Card Type: Pendulum Monster

Level 1

Pendulum Scale: 1-1

Attribute: Light

Type: Fairy

ATK: 100

DEF: 100

Monster Effect: When a creature you control, would be destroyed, you may discard one spell or trap card. If you do so, negate any effect or attack that would destroy that creature. This card can not be attacked if you control another non-DARK monster.

Pendulum Effect: Non-DARK monsters you control gain 1000 DEF. If a non-DARK monster you control would be destroyed in battle, you may discard two spell cards and end the battle phase.

A Quick Match:

Card Type: Continuous Spell

Effect: Draw 1 card. During each player's draw phase, they may draw 1 additional card.

Kingdom Ruins:

Card Type: Normal Trap

Effect: When your opponent plays a field spell, negate and destroy it. If you do, you may search your deck for a field spell and add it to your hand.

I'm brand new, so I am super sorry if I have messed up anything like the formatting of the cards or the post. 

There's no standard to formatting; as long as it is readable, it's fine :) I would suggest looking into working on your card grammar though. There's a very helpful thread in Advanced Singles, and while it does take a while to read, it is extremely helpful for making your card's text easier to understand and nicer to look at. If you have any questions at all, feel free to PM me ^^

Your first card is...pretty strong. All I have to do is banish 16 cards, and if my opponent has no monsters and no means of negating its Summon, it's GG. A one card instakill. If they do have a monster, you can keep banishing cards from your Deck on its Summon until you have enough to beat over it. Assuming you only banish 29, leaving you 6 cards in your Deck (1 to draw next turn and 5 to banish for this card), that's over 14000 ATK, which is going to beat over anything. Couple that with the protection, and unless your opponent is lucky enough to draw a countering Trap, or is playing Dinos with Ultimate Conductor, they gonna die.

Herald is also too strong, being perhaps the worst possible level to be abused, save for Level 8; all you need in this case is a Level 4 and a Level 1, the former of which is extremely common and the second can either be something like Glow-Up Bulb, or is otherwise really easy to grab with One For One. Anyway, targets for this card are not exactly few and far between, with the first thing coming to mind being Dystopia the Despondent, a 5000/5000 monster who can become unaffected by cards or effects, or Sophia, Goddess of Rebirth, which banishes all fields, GYs and hands, except herself. Hey, you can even use the Yubels for this. Assuming you don't need a boss, there are just so many DARK monsters that any Deck can easy abuse. Also, how does this card "sacrifice" itself? Does it Tribute itself, destroy itself, or just send itself to the GY?

I rather like Aendra's Pendulum Effect. being a non-activating way of ending the Battle Phase that your opponent can see and counter with some Spell removal of their own, and isn't too easy to use in the first place, eating up two of the cards in your hand which both have to be Spells. Very creative, especially with the ATK gain. However, the ATK gain does seem at odds with the battle protection; if you're boosting their ATK in the first place, additional protection seems a tad over the top. Its monster effect is a little more confusing and problematic, and here's why: you negate effects or attacks which would destroy it (we use monsters instead of creatures, by the way), however, in order to have the effect/attack be able to attempt to destroy it in the first place, it musn't have been negated. In fact, the window to be able to negate an attack has long since passed (would suggest reading the rulebook here as well, so you can understand how the game functions in matters such as these :) ) Still, nice little generic protection effect. Not too supportive, yet powerful in the right hands.

Quick Match is very interesting. Upstart was limited for a reason, because people take advantage of easy 1 card draws to make 37 cards Decks and the like, but this card is really problematic for you if you are unable to remove it by the time your opponent's turn comes around. Maybe it's too beneficial for your opponent for people to be able to play it. Topological Trisbaena plays, mayhaps?

Kingdom Ruins is really situational, but maybe it does have some use in the modern meta, with them Field Spells that search on activation. I would suggest making it activate directly from the Deck, so that you benefit more from it.

Interesting set of cards. Your last 3 are fair enough, with a few issues here and there, but your first two are far too broken. Nice work for your first set!

The Insatiable One:

Card Type: Effect Monster

Level: 8

Type: Fiend

ATK: 0

DEF: 0

Effect: Cannot be Normal Summoned/Set. Can be Special Summoned by banishing any number of cards from your Deck. This card gains 500 ATK/DEF for each banished card. This card can not be targeted by card effects. During your Standby Phase: Banish the top 5 cards from your Deck or the control of this card switches.

Herald of Shadows:

Card Type: Synchro Monster

Level: 5

Type: Spellcaster

ATK: 2250

DEF: 1250

Effect: 1 Tuner + 1 or more DARK Monsters

When this card is Synchro Summoned: You can add 1 DARK monster from your Deck to your hand. Once per Duel: You can tribute "Herald of Shadows" to Special Summon 1 DARK monster from your hand ignoring any Summoning requirements stated on the card.

Aendra, The Fairy of the Forest:

Card Type: Pendulum Monster

Level 1

Pendulum Scale: 1-1

Attribute: Light

Type: Fairy

ATK: 100

DEF: 100

Monster Effect: When a creature you control would be destroyed: You can discard 1 Spell/Trap card;If you do so, negate any effect or attack that would destroy that monster. This card can not be attacked if you control another non-DARK monster.

Pendulum Effect: Non-DARK monsters you control gain 1000 DEF. If a non-DARK monster you control would be destroyed in battle: You can discard 2 Spell Cards from your hand; end the Battle Phase.

A Quick Match:

Card Type: Continuous Spell

Effect: Draw 1 card. During each player's Draw Phase: They can draw 1 additional card.

Kingdom Ruins:

Card Type: Normal Trap

Effect: When your opponent plays a Field Spell: Negate and destroy it; if you do, you can search your Deck for a Field Spell and add it to your hand.

A few fixes that are more in line with the current card text.

Overall: The cards in general are very decent and they do seem like they would be kinda useful in the right situations.

Insatiable One:

This is too much. As Dova pointed out, either it's a easy OTK if the opponent has no outs. Or, you can also just banish 1 for an easily summonable fodder monster for whatever purpose. While you can make some adjustments, I cannot think of anything to suggest that doesn't get in the territory of "Eater of Millions", a monster with similar summoning condition and stat-boosting effect.

Herald of Shadow:

It's asking for trouble, IMO. Grabbing any DARK with no other restrictions like Level, ATK, etc. is deceptively good. The second effect is acceptable, but then if you pair it with the first one, it effectively translates to summoning any DARK from the Deck.

Aendra:

It's good enough for a casual card. It can save some key monsters from destruction, but it's still costing you cards. Nothing too impressive. I think it may have more application from being a Level1 LIGHT Fairy Pendulum with a low scale than from its effects.

Quick Match:

Also asking for trouble. As Dova pointed out, Upstart, and also Chicken Game, were put in the banlist because of their easy deck-thinning applications, and this card can be used for the same purposes. You could get rid of the on-activation card draw, but then it becomes bad since the opponent would be the first to benefit in most cases. Cannot think of suggestions for this card at the moment. At the very least add a "you can only activate 1 per turn" clause.

Kingdom Ruins:

Quite underwhelming. Has the 1-turn slowness inherent of Traps, it's conditional on your opponent activating a Field Spell, but if he/she has 1 already active, this won't help. IMO a good way to make it good is giving it a condition to activate it from hand, similar to "Infinite Transience", "Typhoon", etc. fixing the speed issue.

Thank you guys VERY much for the suggestions and support! I am sort of new to return to the game from a very long absence so haven't quite got the terminology and balance down, thank you for helping and I am glad at least some of my ideas are not terrible hehe. 

I'm always willing to lend a helping hand. Besides, anything that offers a short break from my massive projects is always welcome. I'm working on a few things at the moment. But feel free to PM me anytime as well. I occasionally do projects where I will allow the whole community have some say about what they want to see in my sets. Hopefully you'll be able to throw out some awesome ideas in the future.

Archived