Sceptyr's Singles (Delve Into the Des Doormains) (8/8)

Black D'Sceptyr

So, I've been trying to get more into that grand struggle with making original cards, and drawing from inspiration was tough-until I remembered what I just got through playing in meatspace.

Fable III. 

One of the most intriguing elements-to me, of course-throughout all of those games in general and these last two in particular, were the Demon Doors-portals to other dimensions that you opened by completing some milestone-like achievement, like gathering 20 people at the same place, or pulling your character to one full-throated alignment or another, to even some silly stuff, like putting yourself out of shape and wearing unflattering clothing. 

Basically, these doors gave you short rewards, havens to raise families in, or even places to visit old friends should you make some more...self-centered choices in the games-and its through those realms that I got a glimpse of how to fit a lot in a little, especially in my favorite Demon Door World-Terry Cotter's House, which told a tale of the psychosis-inducing stock-still suits of armor called the Terry Cotter Army. 

Since I'm playing Fable 3 however, the intrigue is more in what the worlds visualize, and it is through all that that their Yu-Gi-Oh-turned counterparts came to be. So, with the links to their representative Fable 3 Demon Door in their descriptions, and without any further overexplanatory ado, I give you...

THE DES DOORMAINS. 

(rag on me for the puns later, click the spoiler tags now.)

[spoiler=The Doormain Monster]

traverser_of_the_des_doormains_by_bdscep

LIGHT/Warrior-Type Gemini Effect Monster/Level 2/1300 ATK/1300 DEF

Lore: This card is treated as a Normal Monster while face-up on the field or in the GY. While you control a "Des Doormain" Field Spell, OR by Normal Summoning this card while it is a Normal Monster on the field, this card becomes an Effect Monster with these effects.

• Gains 400 ATK for each non-Effect Monster on the field. If this card attacks while you control "Des Doormains' Convalescent Haven": You can Special Summon 1 Level 3 or higher Gemini monster from your Deck, then you can destroy 1 Effect Monster on the field, and if you do, that Summoned monster is treated as an Effect Monster and gains its effects.

[spoiler=The Doormain Spells]

des_doormain___the_first_planet_by_bdsce

Continuous Spell Card

Lore: Activate only when there is a monster on the field with 2000 or more ATK. Each player must pay 500 LP to Normal or Special Summon a non-Gemini Effect Monster(s) from their hand. Once per turn, when a Gemini Monster(s) is Normal or Special Summoned from your hand: You can make each player send 1 Effect Monster from their hand to the GY. Once per turn, during your End Phase: You can banish 2 Normal Monsters and/or "Des Doormain" cards from your field or GY, and if you do, draw 1 card. You can only control 1 "Des Doormain - The First Planet".

des_doormain___twitcher_s_shroud_by_bdsc

Continuous Spell Card

Lore: You can only control 1 "Des Doormain - Twitcher's Shroud". While you control 3 or less monsters and have 3 or less cards in your hand, apply these effects. 

• If an Effect Monster battles a Normal Monster, except a Token: You can change both monster's battle positions, and if you do, Special Summon 1 "Twitcher Token" (Insect/EARTH/Level 4/2000 ATK/0 DEF). 

• If a "Twticher Token" you control destroys a Effect Monster by battle and sends it to the GY: Destroy that "Twitcher Token".

• If a Normal Monster(s) you control is destroyed by battle or by this card's effect: Draw 1 card.

des_doormain___pools_of_penance_by_bdsce

Continuous Spell Card

Lore: Once per turn: You can pay 900 LP; apply 1 of these effects. 

• Normal Summon 1 Gemini monster you control or in your hand.

• Add 1 "Des Doorman" card from your field or GY to your hand.

During each damage calculation. when an opponent's Effect Monster battled a Gemini or Normal Monster you control, you choose which player takes the battle damage (if any). During your End Phase, if you did not lose 1000 or more LP since last turn, destroy this card. You can only control 1 "Des Doormain - Pools of Penance".

des_doormain___the_moral_horizon_by_bdsc

Continuous Spell Card

Lore: Activate this card by sending 1 other "Des Doormain" Spell/Trap from your hand or field to the GY. When this card is activated: Send 1 Normal or Gemini Monster from your Deck to the GY. This card gains this effect, depending on the monster sent to the GY by this effect. You can only control 1 "Des Doormain - The Moral Horizon". 

• Gemini Monster: The first time each Normal Monster you control would be destroyed (by battle or card effect) each turn, it is not destroyed.

• Non-Effect Monster: All Effect Monsters on the field lose 500 ATK/DEF, except Gemini monsters, also Effect Monsters in the GY cannot activate their effects.

des_doormain___final_orders_by_bdsceptyr

Continuous Spell Card

Lore: Must be activated by Tributing the monster with the highest ATK among the monsters you control (min. 2). Once per turn: You can discard 1 card to target 1 Effect Monster in your opponent's GY and 1 Normal Monster in your GY; banish the first target in your opponent's GY, and if you do, Special Summon the targeted monster in your GY, and if you do that, it gains the effects of the banished card. If a Normal Monster you control inflicts battle damage, all monsters you control gain 100 ATK for each card on the field. 

des_doormains__convalescent_haven_by_bds

Lore: Once per turn: You can reveal 3 "Des Doormain" cards with different names from your Deck, your opponent randomly picks 1 for you to activate from your Deck, and you send the rest to the GY. If a "Des Doormain" card(s) you control would be destroyed by a card effect, you can banish 1 "Des Doormain" card from your GY instead. If this card is sent to the GY: You can target up to 2 of your banished "Des Doormain" cards with different names, except "Des Doormains' Convalescent Haven"; add them to your hand. You can only activate 1 "Des Doormains' Convalescent Haven" per turn.

[spoiler=The Doormain Trap]

des_doormain___candlatlas_by_bdsceptyr-d

Continuous Trap Card

Lore: Activate only when you control another "Des Doormain" card, except "Des Doormain - Candlatlas". Once per turn, if you control no Normal Monsters: You can Special Summon 1 "Traverser of the Des Doormains" and 1 Gemini monster from your hand, Deck or GY to the field (1 on each side). All "Des Doormain" monsters and Spells you control cannot be destroyed by card effects, also monsters your opponent controls cannot target those cards with card effects. You can only control 1 "Des Doormain - Candlatlas". 

Note I said "Des Doormain Spells-there'll be more cards to come, gents and ladies, and I hope to have your eyes on this post for 'em later (an' be grateful I didn't make a card based on the Gnome collection minigame, gawd that stuff is the thing of nightmares.)

Till then...

BD'S, signing off.

UPDATE 1: WE NOW HAVE A MONSTER FELLAS

UPDATE II: Set's also got a brand new Trap, based on Cartographilia from Fable III, the DLC-made Demon Door.

The First Planet: I feel there should be a strict or at least hard "once per turn" clause on the Equip effect. I know an Equip card on its own is usually very little to be concerned about, but multiples can be problematic.

Twitcher's Shroud: That last effect needs to go. Or at least have some form of cost to keep it on the field; preferably Life Points.

Pools of Penance: I think for this one, whoever takes the Battle Damage should be determined at the flip of a coin. Especially since there's no cost to activate this card in the first place.

Final Orders: I think you can do without the ATK increase. Card already has a lot going on by acting as a Book of Life with the ability to steal an effect.

I've never played Fable III, so I can understand if you want to make these faithful to the original source material or pay homage to it. But these are just some of the effects that I felt bordered between fair and unfair.

The First Planet: I feel there should be a strict or at least hard "once per turn" clause on the Equip effect. I know an Equip card on its own is usually very little to be concerned about, but multiples can be problematic.

Twitcher's Shroud: That last effect needs to go. Or at least have some form of cost to keep it on the field; preferably Life Points.

Pools of Penance: I think for this one, whoever takes the Battle Damage should be determined at the flip of a coin. Especially since there's no cost to activate this card in the first place.

Final Orders: I think you can do without the ATK increase. Card already has a lot going on by acting as a Book of Life with the ability to steal an effect.

I've never played Fable III, so I can understand if you want to make these faithful to the original source material or pay homage to it. But these are just some of the effects that I felt bordered between fair and unfair.

Alright, I've fixed most of the cards to your specs-and given some overhaul to the first three cards you mentioned, Twitcher's Shroud, the First Planet, and Pools of Penance.

Archived