Grimseers: DARK Psychics with exact LP clauses

Eshai

Does anyone miss the old days of the Synchro Era where there were little to no HOPTs? Well, save yourself these cards still have them, except that they have exceptions. 

You can only use this effect of "" once per turn, unless your LP is exactly x000.

these LP amounts would be either 1000, 2000, 3000, or 4000 depending on the card, so you would have to play to get from 8000 LP to that number of LP to exploit the archetype.

Atm I'm experimenting with PSCT to see what explains the card text the best, so if you have anything better go for it. If you have criticism on the game design of the cards that would also be awesome. Some reviews would be nice but if you're intimidated by the length, skimming the first couple monsters to discuss the concept is fine.

Anyways, let's get to the cards (this might get a bit crazy)

CPaQA3y.jpg

[spoiler: Chronicler of the Grimoire] DARK - Level 1 - Psychic/Effect - 0 ATK/1000 DEF

While this card is in your GY and you Special Summon a Psychic monster: You can Special Summon this card, but at the end of the turn, banish it (wherever it is). You can only use this effect of "Chronicler of the Grimoire" once per turn, unless your LP is exactly 1000. This card cannot be Tributed or used as material, except to Summon a “Grimseen" monster. You can only control 1 "Chronicler of the Grimoire".

Yeah we're starting off with some of the more controversial cards, aren't we?

If this reminds you of Level Eater, which was banned, then yes you would be right to think so. The archetype is my homage to the 5ds era, and what would that be without Level Eater?

The trick is that you have to use it with Psychic monsters and it can't be used for anything except for the archetype Extra Deck Monsters. 

On top of that, you have to have exactly 1000 LP to use it like Level Eater, which is not too hard but it'll be hard to survive the next turn if you leave it there, so some of the strategy will be from staying alive and exploiting the gimmick as much as possible.

unknown.png

[spoiler: Allseer of the Grimoire] DARK - Level 1 - Psychic/Effect - 300 ATK/700 DEF

You can pay up to half your LP in multiples of 100, then Tribute 1 Psychic monster you control; Special Summon 1 Psychic monster from your Deck whose sum ATK/DEF is equal to your LP. You can only use this effect of "Chronicler of the Grimoire" once per turn, unless your LP is exactly 2000. You cannot use the effect of another "Allseer of the Grimoire" during the turn you use this effect.

Oh. You thought we were done with the 5Ds shenanigans? Yeah no now we have a version of Mind Master. For those of you that don't know, Mind Master was one of the 2 or 3 cards that made Konami decide to make more cards with HOPTs, because there were A LOT of bs shenanigans you could do with the card, cycling your entire Deck's worth of Psychic monsters. This card is like that but harder to use. For starters, you're limited by your LP in what you can Summon, and can only use the effect more than once if you have exactly 2000 LP, so in order to use it more often, you'll have to keep gaining LP. 

Also that last clause. If you use the effect, the monster gets destroyed, and then you resummon it, you can't activate the effect. You can only use 1 copy's effects per turn. Makes some of the things you'll do with the card more vulnerable, so it gives your opponent a couple more options.

fBW2uFM.jpg

[spoiler: Jinx, Grimseer of Misfortunes] DARK - Level 3 - Psychic/Effect - 1100 ATK/1900 DEF

When this card is Normal or Special Summoned: You can activate 1 of these effects. You can only use each effect of “Jinx, Grimseer of Misfortunes once per turn, unless your LP is exactly 3000. ● Gain 1000 LP ● Pay LP in multiples of 100 (max. 1000); Special Summon 1 Psychic monster from your GY whose sum ATK/DEF is equal to your LP.

My god a relatively normal card?

Anyways this is a bit more simple. Either gain your LP so you don't die or pay LP to SS something from the GY. Also, you might've noticed these aren't exactly supporting an archetype yet. This is because the mechanic itself with the stats of the cards are most of the encouragement players are going to need. Unless its a Psychic monster with ATK/DEF sums of a multiple of 1000, then its going to be a lot harder to pull off combos with them rather than the archetype cards. 

unknown.png

[spoiler: Brough, Grimseer of Amnesia] DARK - Level 3 - Psychic/Effect - 1500 ATK/1500 DEF

If this card is in your hand: You can activate 1 of these effects. You can only use each effect of “Brough, Grimseer of Amnesia” once per turn, unless your LP is exactly 3000. ● You can reveal this card; gain LP in multiples of 100 (max. 1000). ● You can discard this card and pay LP in multiples of 100 (max. 1000); add 1 Psychic monster from your Deck to your hand whose sum ATK/DEF equals your LP.

Back to Dark Souls Images

This one is a discard to search and/or a better version of Golden Ladybug. The idea is that the first effect gives you more variety in your LP and to give the second effect more versatility in what it can search.

9UFJKED.jpg

[spoiler: Jinx, Grimseer of Misfortunes] DARK - Level 4 - Psychic/Effect - 1800 ATK/1200 DEF

If this card is Normal or Special Summoned: You can pay up to half your LP in multiples of 100*; banish 1 “Grimseer” or “Grimoire” monster from your Deck. Once per turn, if you pay 1000 or more LP: You can add 1 of your banished “Grimseer” or “Grimoire” monsters from your Deck to your hand. You can only use this effect of  “Anomaly, Grimseer of Distortions” once per turn, unless your LP is exactly 3000.

Totally not Dr. Stange over here is a Stratos-esc searcher... kinda. It's a bit more versatile of a searcher since it doesn't require sum ATK/DEF, but its also archetype specific and 1000 or more LP of payment. Some of the cards also banish, so it also recycles.

V9fBsCM.jpg

[spoiler: Wraith, Grimseer of Vengeance] DARK - Level 4 - Psychic/Effect - 1700 ATK/2300 DEF

While this card is in your hand: You can pay up to half your LP in multiples of 100 (for no effect). If you pay 1000 or more LP: You can Special Summon this card from your hand, and if you do, this card gains ATK equal to half the LP you paid and cannot inflict battle damage to your opponent until the end of the turn. You can only use each effect of  “Wraith, Grimseer of Vengeance” once per turn, unless your LP is exactly 4000.

Some may be wondering why this card's cost is separated from its SS. That's so you can pay the cost twice. Lemme explain. 

If you're over 4000 LP, you can put your LP from above that to exactly 4000, and then NOT Summon this, and since its a HOPT with a 4000 LP exception, you can use it again to get to either 3000 or 2000 LP. The card can even keep staying in your hand to help with LP modularity, but you're probably SS this. It has the ATK boost and can run over problematic monsters if you're having problems. It could potentially force a negate as well, so that could be useful.

Eq2TV2y.jpg

[spoiler: Eon, Grimseer of Futures] DARK - Level 5 - Psychic/Tuner/Effect - 2200 ATK/1800 DEF

While you control no monsters or only Psychic monsters: You can pay LP in multiples of 1000 (max. 4000); Special Summon this card from your hand, and if you do, you can reduce this card’s Level by 1 for every 1000 LP you paid. Cannot be Tributed or used as material, except for the Summon of a "Grimseen" monster. You can banish this card from your GY; gain LP in multiples of 100 (max. 2000). You can only use this effect of  “Eon, Grimseer of Futures” once per turn, unless your LP is exactly 4000.

This one is a bit more of a necessity. Rather than relying on your LP count, this pays straight numbers of LP, but can't course correct you if your opponent damaged you and screwed up your LP. This card is also a modularly leveled Tuner and a powerful heal. This was made to cover a couple things that the archetype was screwing up that I didn't intend it to, and fixed several problems the archetype were having with versatility and consistency on the Duel Portal. Works well but I'm still tinkering.

JJSxgnn.jpg

[spoiler: Library of the Grimoire] Spell - Field

When this card is activated: You can pay up to half your LP in multiples of 100; add 1 “Grimseer” monster from your Deck to your hand, or 1 "Grimoire" card if you paid 2000 or more LP to activate this effect. Once per turn, you can either: Gain LP in multiples of 100 (max. 1000), OR: pay LP in multiples of 100 (max. 1000); until the end of the next turn, any battle damage you would take becomes 1000.

Oh look a Field Spell

Originally this archetype was going to have more Spell/Traps called Grimoires, but the list was getting long and the monsters did everything already so I felt that I could just make the typical Field Spell searcher more interesting. You can pay anything to search a Grimseer, or pay 2000 to be able to search another copy of itself or the Level 1 monsters (that if you remember were pretty good). This is another LP manipulation card that helps a lot when trying to get your LP where you want it. It can also course correct your LP when you're opponent is continuously attacking you with everything. 

[spoiler: SYYYYYNNNNNCCCHHHHHRRRROOOOOSS]

5McLseX.jpg

[spoiler: Grimseen Calamity, Falling Down] DARK - Level 4 - Psychic/Synchro/Effect - 2000 ATK/0 DEF

1 Tuner + 1+ non-Tuner monsters

If this card is Synchro Summoned: You can gain LP in multiples of 100 (max. 3000), but at the end of your opponent's next turn, your LP become 2000. When this card is destroyed by battle or card effect and sent to the GY: You can pay up to half your LP in multiples of 100 (for no effect). While this card is in your GY, if you pay 2000 or more LP: You can Special Summon this card in Defense Position, but banish it when it leaves the field.

Weird effects are weird. The card makes you gain a bunch of LP as temporary protection from OTKs, or simply to just get your LP where you want them after using a bunch of them to Summon your Synchros. The card also has an effect to be able to SS itself back, which is easier if destroyed but can be done by the archetype by just paying more LP than you usually would for an effect. Since its a Level 4 generic, its not something you'll use as often.

sJsEUFy.jpg

[spoiler: Grimseen Calamity, Tragic Hero] DARK - Level 4 - Psychic/Synchro/Effect - 2000 ATK/0 DEF

1 Psychic Tuner + 1+ non-Tuner monsters 
If this card is Special Summoned: You can make your LP become 4000. When a Psychic monster you control is targeted for an attack: You can pay 1000 LP; negate the attack. When your opponent declares a direct attack: You can Special Summon this card from your GY, but banish it when it leaves the field. You can only use each effect of “Grimseen Calamity, Tragic Hero” once per turn, unless your LP are 4000 or less.

Alright, I guess I have to address why Guts and all the Synchros are Psychics. They're basically Foreshadows (oh gawd that would've been a way better name for these wouldn't it have), or future events that are thought to happen in the future. 

As for the card, yep. Actually Life Stream Dragon with a side of Krebons. Can be used to increase your survivability when your LP are screwed. There has to be a couple cards like that in here just out of the necessity of not dying instantly.

uY4aqmw.jpg

[spoiler: Grimseen Calamity, Mind on Oblivion] DARK - Level 6 - Psychic/Synchro/Effect - 2400 ATK/1600 DEF

1 Tuner + 1+ non-Tuner monsters 
This card cannot be destroyed by card effects while your LP are equal to or less than 4000. When a monster(s) is Special Summoned, you can activate 1 of these effects. You can only use each effect of “Grimseen Calamity, Mind on Oblivion” once per turn, unless your LP are 4000 or less. ● Gain 1000 LP ● Pay LP in multiples of 100 (max. 1000); decrease the ATK the Special Summoned monster(s) by the amount of LP you paid.

So it doesn't look to amazing on the surface doesn't it? Yeah, well, you'd be really wrong. This card enables a lot of the combos in the archetype, especially one with the 2 Level 1s and SSing over and over again to get into Quasar Level Synchros. If I were to draw a comparison to its role in the Deck with a card in Quasar Turbo, it would be T.G. Hyper Librarian...

wait Quasar Turbo? Where's the Quasar?...

Why did you have to ask?

wCGs8T7.jpg

[spoiler: Grimseen Calamity, the Perfect Storm] DARK - Level 12 - Psychic/Synchro/Effect - 4000 ATK/4000 DEF

1 Synchro Tuner + 2+ non-Tuner Synchro Monsters
Must be Synchro Summoned, and cannot be Special Summoned by other ways. Once per turn (Quick Effect): You can target 1 monster on the field; banish all other monsters on the field until the end of the current phase. During your opponent’s turn, if this card leaves the field, except by its own effect: You can place 1 card in your Deck on top of your Deck. During damage calculation, if you would take damage and your LP would become 0, you can return this card from your GY to the Extra Deck instead, also you cannot take damage for the rest of the turn you use this effect. You can only use each effect of “Grimseen Calamity, the Perfect Storm” once per turn, unless your LP are 1000 or less.

Sooooooo yeaaahh. This card is a bit nuts. Its not a generic negate like Quasar and it doesn't stop all the things you might want it to stop, but its the Deck's win condition, and the Deck likes to be mean. It's like a Chain Beat esc Torrential Tribute, and can screw with your opponent whether Main Phase, Battle Phase, or even Standby Phase if you're running Armed Dragons for some reason. That's not even the impressive part.

If you go down to 1000 LP and keep having it banish itself, it'll keep being able to activate its effects EVERY PHASE.

Nuts as it gets and it can be game winning if your opponent can't deal with it with Counter Traps or other Quick Effects. Basically the same weaknesses as LADD and Quasar, except that Quasar has something to float into, while this doesn't. Rather, this card can Deep Diver style put anything you need on top of your Deck and let you live to the turn that you'll draw it. Basically, if they kill your boss monster you can guarantee you can have something on the next turn by using the heart of the cards or something.

[spoiler: Link Tuner? (Should this be a thing?)]
e498IO3.jpg
[spoiler: Grimseen Flashback] DARK - DL, DR - Psychic/Link/Effect - 1200 ATK/LINK-2
2 monsters, including at least 1 Tuner
While this card is on the field, this card is treated as a Level 2 Synchro Monster. If this card is Link Summoned: You can add 1 monster from your Deck to your hand whose sum ATK/DEF equal your LP. You can only use this effect of “Grimseen Flashback” once per turn. Once per Chain, during the Main Phase, you can (Quick Effect): Immediately after this effect resolves, Synchro Summon using this card you control and/or 1 Psychic monster in your hand.

Sooo this is why this isn't AGM (not even sure if I'm still qualified as a member of the group). Anyways this is more of an experiment than anything. It's a bit outclassed by Needlefiber but the fact its an easy to access Level 2 Synchro Tuner without using only LV 1 monsters gives its own merit. 

This also has a quirk similar to Needlefiber that it can Synchro Summon, but this is more like Shooting Riser Dragon or Formula Synchron in that you have to actually Synchro Summon the monster. You either have to use at least this card or a Psychic from your hand as material, and anything else on your field is fair game. Could be used to set your LP to particular numbers with the previous Synchros, or could be used to Quick Effect dodge. Depends on the situation.

Post Design:

My goal was to make something that a skilled player could investigate and find several combos in and to make LP manipulation important and interesting. I think I did the job well after several months of on and off working on this.

If anyone's wondering why I've been gone, I'm kinda getting tired of making these and not getting responses. I tried coming back by posting Future Purge which had monsters attacking each other even outside of the Battle Phase and got no responses. It was a bit sad considering all the work I put into testing it. I also made Sunglassed, but found out that was then experimental, which is apparently oblivion on this website because unless you really point it out to people no one is going to review it, so I never posted the archetype figuring I didn't want that to happen. Hopefully, a couple of people can review this. I probably spent 4 hours making the post (that's not even the cards), so hopefully, it can get some love.

ANYWAYS, love you guys. Wish my motivation to make cards was good enough to keep posting but it isn't atm. Will see you... idk I can't guarantee anything, but I'm on a lot more often on the
Discord so if you want to request me to review something you have a better chance of catching me there.

PS. If someone is putting this in experimental 5 minutes within posting this because of the Link Tuner that isn't even officially apart of the archetype atm, I'm flipping a table.

What if I smack you with this guy

evilswarm_heliotrope_by_kai1411-d4st0vz.

Then you'd have to figure out some way to get your LP to be divisible by 100.

But on a serious note, this isn't a proper review for Advanced Cards, so please write something that's relevant to how the stuff is designed. If this were actually moved to Casual, then it'd be fine because stuff just got changed. 

===

As for Eshai, I'm not shifting this, least for now. 

What if I smack you with this guy

evilswarm_heliotrope_by_kai1411-d4st0vz.

I've been asked this before so I might as well address it.

If they're running that, they're running more Evilswarms, so if they either attack again or you suicide a monster into your opponent then you can "fix" it. Those are the bad solutions. 

There's also the Level 4 and 5 Synchros that Set your LP to certain numbers.

You also tend to run Needlefiber and Life Stream Dragon so that can also help.

Well, Esh, I think you've already heard some of my opinions regarding your cards and if there were massive design flaws I would've already told you.

Anyway, since no one is answering, I feel I could take some time and read them again, even though by using those cards in my story I think I already know them decently well.

Chronicler is probably one of my favorites. We all know SSing from the GY is really, really good, but being Archetype restricted does the trick. Don't have much to say on this one.

Mind of the Grim... oh wait. Allseer only works effectively for the loop, and the only monster you really want to Summon is Jinx, since it can bring back Brough (which you would've discarded the turn before that) and make the LV 6 Oblivion. Oh wait you have to pay to use Jinx's eff. Nvm, this Deck's combos are way too complicated for my tastes.

Jinx is actually the only card that SS from the GY, and I think that's kinda important in a Synchro Deck.

Brough is a bit odd since if you open it you can't search straight away, due to the fact you don't have monsters whose sum ATK/DEF is 7k (wow, imagine that). I think the gaining effect would never be used because you already have lots and lots of LP manipulation, and you don't want to reach high LP values since the Deck works better when you're at 1k.

Anomaly has a typo on the 'add to the hand' eff. As for the card itself, well, it's just a weird searcher, and it'll do the job.

man scrolling through that triple evilswarm is a pain

Wraith doesn't create advantage and can't even be used as a situational beater due to the fact that it can't inflict damage. And the only Synchro you can make with it is LV 6 Oblivion using Allseer, which brings the other main issue with the Deck - not having a LV 8 Synchro. Really. I would've used it well in my story instead of finding a weird way to get to Calamity, since it's a card that requires Flashback and 2 Synchros on the field, while having Jinx/Eon or Wraith will be a pretty common situation.

Eon is just really versatile and good for everything. The GY effect might be redundant, you already have other ways of gaining. Up to you to choose which gain eff to remove.

Library is the only Spell omg why and it supports the Deck perfectly, IMO. Not really strong, but a +0 that controls your LPs. Try not using the last eff against G/Gs.

And now... the Synchros. Incredibly difficult to play, incredibly difficult to understand without playtesting.

Lv 4, Falling Down. I kinda see it as a last resource card, since it slowly sets your LP to 2k which is IMO the best starter point for the Archetype. Not sure why it's a generic since it's way too gimmicky to be splashed into other Decks, and even Grimseers have other monsters to Summon.

Lv 5, Tragic Hero, might actually be end up being overused by the Archetype. It has the most useful effect and it can set your LP back to 4k twice, considering the GY effect.

Lv 6, Mind on Oblivion, could've been used as a semi boss in slower formats. It has protection from destruction and without other forms of removal, the opponent has pretty much already lost.

Lv 12, Perfect Storm is actually way more difficult to Summon than I thought. Using Archetype-only cards, your only way to get it is through Flashback and double Tragic Hero OR LV 4/LV 6 Synchros. The Quick Eff works good on an Accel Synchro, although compared to Quasars is a bit underpowered. It only have one massive weakness, that being if this is the only monster on the field, a simple destruction Spell can actually kill it. The last GY effect is really your anime-like last save, but then you have to consider Grimseer won't have problems recovering Life Points on the next turn.

Flashback is ok as it is. Of course, if Link Tuner is acceptable.

So yeah, as expected, an Archetype really difficult to play where you always have to plan everything ahead. There must be many undiscovered combos. Good luck finding them.

Brough is a bit odd since if you open it you can't search straight away, due to the fact you don't have monsters whose sum ATK/DEF is 7k (wow, imagine that). I think the gaining effect would never be used because you already have lots and lots of LP manipulation, and you don't want to reach high LP values since the Deck works better when you're at 1k.

Anomaly has a typo on the 'add to the hand' eff. As for the card itself, well, it's just a weird searcher, and it'll do the job.

man scrolling through that triple evilswarm is a pain

Wraith doesn't create advantage and can't even be used as a situational beater due to the fact that it can't inflict damage. And the only Synchro you can make with it is LV 6 Oblivion using Allseer, which brings the other main issue with the Deck - not having a LV 8 Synchro. Really. I would've used it well in my story instead of finding a weird way to get to Calamity, since it's a card that requires Flashback and 2 Synchros on the field, while having Jinx/Eon or Wraith will be a pretty common situation.

Eon is just really versatile and good for everything. The GY effect might be redundant, you already have other ways of gaining. Up to you to choose which gain eff to remove.

And now... the Synchros. Incredibly difficult to play, incredibly difficult to understand without playtesting.

Lv 5, Tragic Hero, might actually be end up being overused by the Archetype. It has the most useful effect and it can set your LP back to 4k twice, considering the GY effect.

Lv 12, Perfect Storm is actually way more difficult to Summon than I thought. Using Archetype-only cards, your only way to get it is through Flashback and double Tragic Hero OR LV 4/LV 6 Synchros. The Quick Eff works good on an Accel Synchro, although compared to Quasars is a bit underpowered. It only have one massive weakness, that being if this is the only monster on the field, a simple destruction Spell can actually kill it. The last GY effect is really your anime-like last save, but then you have to consider Grimseer won't have problems recovering Life Points on the next turn.

These are the reviews I'm addressing

Brough is hilarious actually. If you keep manipulating your LP back to 2000 over and over again, it can keep gaining you 1000 LP. The search ends up being a last resort and actually feels kinda bad to do. Works really well for combos when Mind on Oblivion isn't on field. Also might change Jinx back to being the Tuner rather than this card due to its new found use.

Anomaly WHOOPS. 

Wraith Is a LP manipulator like the Field Spell. It can get you straight from 8000 to 2000 LP. A necessary evil in a Deck like this. As for Level 8 Synchro, yeah I'm working on it.

Eon I'm not going to say the GY effect is irrelevant, considering that effect saves me every time I have it in GY. Makes combos easier to pull of and gives you more flexibility on what you might want to do.

Tragic Hero Actually doesn't get used often enough. I'm considering making a LV 2 to make it easier to Summon, or running Plaguespreader idk.

Perfect Storm is meant to be hard to Summon. I expect you can somehow do it in 1 turn, but its really hard to do it when you also want it to be a non-HOPT. It is a bit more brittle than a couple other cards like this, but its meant to feel powerful despite not being broken. I might take off the "OPT" on the card so that the 1000 LP version is a bit better, but other than that its good enough (if it was more powerful than that it would be cancer).

THANK YOU FOR THE REVIEW I appreciate it a lot. Thought this post was going to be abandoned like Future Purge.

Haven't checked the entire archetype yet, but want to compliment you for the concept. I find the idea of "unlocking" hard OPTs with LP values really clever. IMO it does give it an appealing layer of complexity, strategy and skill to the entire archetype.

A Link Tuner is too experimental for my liking, though but nothing wrong with exploring the boundaries.

Some images are down, by the way.

Haven't checked the entire archetype yet, but want to compliment you for the concept. I find the idea of "unlocking" hard OPTs with LP values really clever. IMO it does give it an appealing layer of complexity, strategy and skill to the entire archetype.

A Link Tuner is too experimental for my liking, though but nothing wrong with exploring the boundaries.

Some images are down, by the way.

Thanks! I try. I might try this kind of "avoiding HOPTs" shenanigans with something else to see if there's a better way of doing it. I've thought of exact hand sizes which sounds like it could work pretty well as well as exact number of monsters in GY which I guess would be more aligned with Guardian Eatos or Archlord Krista. Will probably try the hand sizes but probably not now since I'm making more generics atm.

Link Tuner? Yeah I figured. Originally I thought of it as a way of making the Quasar Synchros a bit easier to Summon since it makes for Level 2 Synchro Tuners that don't need Level 1s to Summon. I'm working on a Synchro Tuner and possibly a Level 8 Synchro to make them a bit more versatile in that department, but for now, the Link has been pretty fun. If I make a good enough Synchro Tuner (maybe 2 who knows) I'll probably take off the Tuner clause on Flashback.

Which images? All of them show up for me.

Archived