[TRM] Tough day on the job

Tormented

Love me some noire. Big fan of both tones, though the bottom two have a much more dramatic vibe. Feels like the focal is separating two different types of settings for a city detective: one side being the constant bustle of city life and the other being the sketchy alleyways of the outskirt projects where evidence led to.

I feel like a full B/W version would be appropriate, too. Maybe with a subtle vintage film style filter. That'd be pretty dope.

The lighting is nice. I feel like you have a texture or something overlayed that's degrading the quality however.

Yeah semi-intentional, trying to go for a "dirty" vibe. There's a "grungy" texture on top with a bit of blending (albeit not a huge amount)

Yeah semi-intentional, trying to go for a "dirty" vibe. There's a "grungy" texture on top with a bit of blending (albeit not a huge amount)

It could work this way, but your texture is overpowering of some of the nicer details. This would just be more fine brush and eraser work, I guess, but make the lightpost at the bottom

more up front. It will help with depth and clean up the piece without taking away from the atmosphere. Also, do something more with the building in the back. The texture is, again, overpowering and it makes the piece feel lazily finished. This feels like more of a work-in-progressed rather than something completed, as there is a lack of detail and a lack of attention to already added detail.

Edited because I'm bad with directions.

Yeah looking back on it bringing the lightpost up front would work wonders, otherwise, it does just look like a grungy texture plastered on the front without really working at all with the overall piece.

I also think that removing the texture on the right too fully push the idea of two opposing themes would've helped a lot.

The texture on Cole and the walls and not the actual details of the backdrop could've heavily improved the piece.

Textures are nice tools, but you cannot just use them to overlay and create atmosphere for the piece. They have to be woven into the image. Honestly, it comes down to placement and visibility (erasing and lower the opacity on the canvas). They are terribly used because they add a finished style to the piece without finishing it. More novice artists use them to finish a piece, too. And I know you're not a novice so don't use them like one.

Archived