Welcome to Yugioh Card Maker Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

[TRM] Tough day on the job

Necrobump!

Guest, the last post on this topic is over 30 days old and a new post will be considered as necrobumping!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Tormented

Tormented

Placebo Admin

• Moderators
  • 6,497 posts
    Last Visit 15 minutes ago
  • Discord:Ash#9999

kept-you-waiting-huh-gif-1.gif

lSMsNqa.png

-

V0zIFcl.png

-

YgxYrJq.png

"Off my chair, jester. The King sits there"

-

C A D E A U P O U R M O I

Thar

Thar

Bruh.

• Button Masher

• 12,023 posts
    Last Visit 2 minutes ago
  • Discord:Thar#3461
  • Spouse:Tormented

Love me some noire. Big fan of both tones, though the bottom two have a much more dramatic vibe. Feels like the focal is separating two different types of settings for a city detective: one side being the constant bustle of city life and the other being the sketchy alleyways of the outskirt projects where evidence led to.

I feel like a full B/W version would be appropriate, too. Maybe with a subtle vintage film style filter. That'd be pretty dope.

nyr4czw.gif

Switch FC: SW-5328-8869-1579

Tormented

Tormented

Placebo Admin

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 6,497 posts
Two tones are cheap ways of creating atmospheres but I’m glad you like it :)

I was toying with a bw but I couldn’t get a coluration that I appreciate

-

Twenty-five Zero Oh-oh

Twenty-five Zero Oh-oh

Member Title

• Elite Members
  • 1,929 posts
    Last Visit

The lighting is nice. I feel like you have a texture or something overlayed that's degrading the quality however.

Click to join the contest!
Posted Image

Gyfts

Tormented

Tormented

Placebo Admin

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 6,497 posts

The lighting is nice. I feel like you have a texture or something overlayed that's degrading the quality however.

Yeah semi-intentional, trying to go for a "dirty" vibe. There's a "grungy" texture on top with a bit of blending (albeit not a huge amount)

-

Dae

Dae

Legendary Member

• Pretentious Prick

• 16,719 posts
    Last Visit 39 minutes ago
  • Alias:Dae
  • Spouse:Catman

Yeah semi-intentional, trying to go for a "dirty" vibe. There's a "grungy" texture on top with a bit of blending (albeit not a huge amount)

It could work this way, but your texture is overpowering of some of the nicer details. This would just be more fine brush and eraser work, I guess, but make the lightpost at the bottom [left] more up front. It will help with depth and clean up the piece without taking away from the atmosphere. Also, do something more with the building in the back. The texture is, again, overpowering and it makes the piece feel lazily finished. This feels like more of a work-in-progressed rather than something completed, as there is a lack of detail and a lack of attention to already added detail.

Edited because I'm bad with directions.

IiGVtCm.png1st_Place.png

41682d2aec304c206d5c0d9ca3a4bd12.png

Tormented

Tormented

Placebo Admin

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 6,497 posts

Yeah looking back on it bringing the lightpost up front would work wonders, otherwise, it does just look like a grungy texture plastered on the front without really working at all with the overall piece.

I also think that removing the texture on the right too fully push the idea of two opposing themes would've helped a lot.

The texture on Cole and the walls and not the actual details of the backdrop could've heavily improved the piece.

-

Dae

Dae

Legendary Member

• Pretentious Prick

• 16,719 posts
    Last Visit 39 minutes ago
  • Alias:Dae
  • Spouse:Catman

Textures are nice tools, but you cannot just use them to overlay and create atmosphere for the piece. They have to be woven into the image. Honestly, it comes down to placement and visibility (erasing and lower the opacity on the canvas). They are terribly used because they add a finished style to the piece without finishing it. More novice artists use them to finish a piece, too. And I know you're not a novice so don't use them like one.

IiGVtCm.png1st_Place.png

41682d2aec304c206d5c0d9ca3a4bd12.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users