Ghastly, Haunter and Gengar (PAC)[Written]

Ninjask Is Bae

I really like the Ghastly line, so I decided to do them for the Pokémon Archetype Club. These cards are the most basic Ghosts Pokémon has to offer and I made their effects reflect that. They work quite well with other “Poké” cards ATM. Though I am afraid they might be a bit OP. Card Explination at the bottom of the post.

PokéGhost Ghastly

Level 3 / Fiend-type / DARK / Effect

If this card you control is sent from the field to the GY: Banish this card. You can Special Summon this card, from your hand or GY, by banishing 1 “Poké” monster from your hand, face-up on the field or GY. You can return this card you control to your hand, target 1 card your opponent controls; destroy it, then, return it to the hand. You can only activate one of the effects of "PokéGhost Ghastly" per turn and only once that turn.

1600 ATK/0 DEF

PokéGhost Haunter

Level 5 / Fiend-type / DARK / Effect

You can Special Summon this card, from your hand by tributing 1 level 4 or lower “PokéGhost” or “PokéPoison” monster or banishing 1 level 4 or lower “PokéGhost” monster from your GY. During your turn (Quick Effect): Target 1 card your opponent controls; banish both this card and it until the End Phase. If this card was Special Summoned by tributing or banishing “PokéGhost Ghastly” add this additional effect.

● During either player’s turn, instead. You can only activate this effect of "PokéGhost Haunter" during your opponent's turn once per duel.

2300 ATK/0 DEF

PokéGhost Gengar

Level 7 / Fiend-type / DARK / Effect

You can Special Summon this card, from your hand by tributing 1 level 5 or 6 “PokéGhost” or “PokéPoison” monster or banishing 3 “PokéGhost” monsters from your GY. Once per turn: You can banish 1 “Poké” card from your GY; send 1 “Poké” card from your deck to your GY. During your turn (Quick Effect): You can banish this card; Special Summon 1 of your banished “PokéGhost” monsters, except "PokéGhost Gengar". If this card was Special Summoned by tributing or banishing “PokéGhost Haunter” add this additional effect.

● During either player’s turn, instead.

2700 ATK/1000 DEF

[spoiler=Card Explination]

PokéGhost Ghastly

The disruption effect targets, destroys and returns the resource to the opponent, so it’s all bad, it’s only there so you have the potential option if you want to get the card back to your hand for some reason or really need to get rid of an Extra Deck card. Special Summon is because in game, Ghastly is fast and hits hard, so I wanted to reflect that. No self-bouncing because I hate that. It also makes Rank-3’s

PokéGhost Haunter

I wanted to reflect how it is to use a Haunter, kinda wackey, but fast and hard-hitting. Sorry for the awkward wording, I just used the same wording as “Caius the Mega Monarch” to be sure I was correct. It can take resources from the GY because it’s a ghost, duh. Also not sure if this card might be OP. It can’t banish “PokéPoison” monsters from the grave because that doesn’t make sense.

PokéGhost Gengar

So this one might be OP honestly. It floats if summoned with Haunter. Dumps stuff in the GY. And if you have something it can banish in the GY it’s basically an objectively better Monster Reborn. It also is never a dead draw because it is also a Foolish. Should I remove the Foolish effect to make it more future proof?

Gastly does amount to a mini Kirin in a sense, well, barring the destroying step first (which is somewhat weird, but suppose is required because it otherwise becomes a clone of said monster). At least it isn't a Quick effect, so...yeah. But then again, Kirin was a pain in the neck due to its immunities and Pendulums being a thing. This technically doesn't have that much to abuse it...least for now.

As far as Haunter goes, it's basically PSYFrame-Lord Omega either way; whether you Special Summon it via the evolution method or however you decide to summon this. If you've been paying attention to the current game, yeah, feelings on Omega are mixed given his removal. Then again, you have two effects; one that is already a Quick Effect and one that grants it if you do it properly. Which one is it, because it's ambiguous (and you only have one effect). 

Gengar has a similar issue with its Quick Effect (last one), though it does have other effects that can be turned into a Quick Effect if you use Haunter with the Foolish-esque effect. But that's about it, I suppose, considering it can still recur Gastly if you need to. Both effects being Foolish Burial in a sense is somewhat troubling down the road because of what we design that can possibly break the mechanic. I don't know if Special Summoning itself was intentional, but you may have to add "except this card or "PokeGhost Gengar" as another limiter. It's unlikely you will have multiple copies out, but hard OPT may be needed (since Foolish is still limited on both ends). 

====

For the latter two, just remove the Quick Effects on them and just modify the evolution trigger effect as: "You can activate this card's effects during either player's turn." (somewhat similar to the wording on the Super Quantal Mech Beasts when their appropriate "pilot" is attached. But yeah, as far as Haunter goes, if you do remove the Quick Effect thing on its Omega style effect, it will revert to a new monster once it returns (by game mechanics). 

Ghastly: I think it needs a OPT on its Summon; I don't think the OPT at the end covers the self-Summon (I.e. If you can get enough 'mon into the GY, you have free Rank3 fodder for days). Anyway, I think you might wanna lower the ATK value as well: 1700 seems kinda high.

Haunter: you misspelled "End Phase". Out of the three, this one feels the most ok, but I think you should probably restrict its banishing effect to monsters OR Spell/Traps (or face-up cards) and it should probably target. Sakura also brought up the concern that it'll lose its either player's turn status when it is banished and brought back effect as well.

Gengar: Most of my concern with this is the fact that this is a Poke foolish. Granted, we don't have too much to take advantage of this, but considering the direction we've been taking so far and the probable searchability that evolutions are liable to have, this could easily become a problem down the line. Aside from that, Sakura pointed out the loop you could do with it (just banishing and SSing it over and over). I can't think if there are outside cards that'd be able to take advantage of that, but it being able to SS itself enables its other effect (banish then foolish) to be used an unlimited number of times. An exclusion clause is definitely needed.

I come off quite aggressive/angry and pretentious in this post. It was not meant like that. I am not angry, I am just not a native English speaker so I literally translate what I'm gonna say into English, which sometimes results in a completely different tone than what I originally meant. Without further ado:

I will adress every single point you made I disagree with or I don't know how to fix in this post. The things I already fixed will be at the bottom. 

I don't get what you guys think is ambiguous about the wording. I worded it exactly like "Caius the Mega Monarch" and nobody seems to have a problem with that card, it only affects the effect it is directly after. That is how card text works and how it has worked since problem solving card text.

Ghastly: I think it needs a OPT on its Summon; I don't think the OPT at the end covers the self-Summon (I.e. If you can get enough 'mon into the GY, you have free Rank3 fodder for days). Anyway, I think you might wanna lower the ATK value as well: 1700 seems kinda high.

The OPT does affect the summoning. For sure it does. That's how that works. Check with "Altergeist Multifaker" which has the same wording and the official ruling on that is that it can only special summon itself once per turn.

I personally don't think 1700 is too high, we've seen level 3 monsters with ATK vallues that high and its not like there are no monsters that can be special summoned easily with higher ATK vallues. (Think Photon Thrasher)

Gastly does amount to a mini Kirin in a sense, well, barring the destroying step first (which is somewhat weird, but suppose is required because it otherwise becomes a clone of said monster). At least it isn't a Quick effect, so...yeah. But then again, Kirin was a pain in the neck due to its immunities and Pendulums being a thing. This technically doesn't have that much to abuse it...least for now.

Just realised this, dang. So yeah. I want to nerf this card seeing as Kirin was really strong and stupid and this card has an even easier time being Special Summoned than Kirin. I just don't know how to do that without taking away the effect as a whole. Do you guys have any advice on that?

As far as Haunter goes, it's basically PSYFrame-Lord Omega either way; whether you Special Summon it via the evolution method or however you decide to summon this. If you've been paying attention to the current game, yeah, feelings on Omega are mixed given his removal.

It really isn't an Omega when its not summoned using Ghastly.

1. Omega always banishes until your OPPONENT's End-Phase. Haunter only banishes until YOUR End-Phase if used during your turn. Which is a huge difference seeing as your opponent can then go to out Haunter and use the card that Haunter banished. Meaning Haunters only real use if not summoned using Ghastly is to get around certain cards that prevent you from dealing damage or making a big board.

2. Omega can be actively used to disrupt your opponent's plays during their turn, which Haunter just can't do without Ghastly.

3. You also should keep in mind that in the current metagame a card in the hand is pottentially a +2, which Omega completely denies your opponent. Haunter also just does not do that because it only works on your turn. 

My conclusion: This card is more comparable to a more costly but less restrictive Farfa, than a weaker Omega.

Haunter: Out of the three, this one feels the most ok, but I think you should probably restrict its banishing effect to monsters OR Spell/Traps (or face-up cards) and it should probably target. Sakura also brought up the concern that it'll lose its either player's turn status when it is banished and brought back effect as well.

I don't think this card should restrict wether to choose monsters or Spell/Traps, as that would basically make it a worse Farfa. (Farfa is never a dead draw, which this card sometimes is)

Doesn't work like that, Haunter is treated as being returned. Which means it is completely as it once was, special summon and all. Source: http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Return

That's it. The rest of the issues I already fixed being:

1. The misspelling of "End-Phase" (fixed by just changing the spelling)

2. The Gengar Loop (fixed by adding "except "PokéGhost Gengar"")

3. Gengar being OP (fixed by removing its discard to Foolish effect)

• 2 weeks later...

Though it takes away a bit, you could change Haunter's effect when it was Special Summoned by Ghastly to banish just the opponent's card until the End Phase (instead of having it banish itself).  That would fix up the re-summon problem.  You've also got to change "End-Phase" to "End Phase" in Haunter's text.

Aside from that, the fixes look good.  Once you change Haunter, I think they'd be good to add.

Archived