[PAC] PokéFire Growlithe & Arcanine

Those of you who are unaware of what the PAC tag is, it serves the exact same function as what the AGM one does for stuff in there (albeit PAC has a cleaner slate to play with in terms of design at the moment). 

You can click on the tag to see other threads in the format. 

iU8EggM.png

PokéFire - Growlithe

Level 4 | FIRE | Beast | Effect

1600/1000

Monsters your opponent controls lose ATK/DEF equal to their Level/Rank x 100. If this card destroys an opponent's monster by battle: Your opponent takes damage equal to half that monster's ATK.

PokéFire - Arcanine

Level 7 | FIRE | Beast | Effect

2600/1800

You can Special Summon this card from your hand by Tributing 1 Level 4 or lower "PokéFire" monster you control. Monsters your opponent controls lose ATK/DEF equal to their Level/Rank x 100 or Link Rating x 200. This card can attack your opponent directly, but any battle damage it inflicts to your opponent is halved. If this card was Special Summoned by Tributing "PokéFire - Growlithe", it gains this effect.

● When this card is Special Summoned, monsters your opponent controls with equal or lesser original ATK than this card's current ATK cannot activate their effects until the end of this turn.  

● If this card destroys an opponent's monster by battle: Your opponent takes damage equal to that monster's ATK.

iU8EggM.png

[spoiler=Design notes and stuff]

In a nutshell, I reserved the Arcanine line and these came out as a result. Mostly drawing on their Intimidate ability and Flare Blitz for their attacking sets. As far as Arcanine goes, also has to deal with Link Monsters since they got neither Level nor Rank, so that's why there's an additional clause that states the drop x Link Rating. Roughly scaled, Link Ratings are about equivalent to 2 Levels, so guess that works out. 

We don't have any Extra Deck members in here at the moment, but yeah. 

Those of you from 2013-2014 and earlier might find a similarity between this Arcanine and one that I made back then. I just adapted it slightly to account for it having a pre-evolution; also because Arcanine literally has to learn Flare Blitz as a Growlithe to do heavy burn (which is adapted here). Should be okay to let it burn for full power, since you have to summon Growlithe first and well, Arcanine is a very good 'mon in its own right; gotta do it justice. 

Direct attacking can stay because Extreme Speed's learned at any point after evolution.

(insert usual memo about "good reviews get likes" here)

On their own, these are fairly tame and straightforward. As far as I can tell, they really don’t have much help in irl yugioh from their type/attribute, so for the most part most real benefit will come from the PAC.

The permanent stat reduction effect is one that is actually really good, but not seen too much. It actually couples pretty well with Magcargo and possibly lets the latter’s destruction effect go off a little more often. On its own, Growlithe gives you a means to run over most level 4s, though it fairly unlikely that the opp would just keep a random 4 on the field (but I suppose control monsters like Denko Sekka or Thunder King Rai-Oh, or stun 4s like the Koa’ki Mierus this would be good against).

Arcanine just takes Growlithe’s Effect up to 11, pretty much letting it run over anything conventionally. Being able to inflict an easy 1300 is nothing to laugh at either (especially with the time rules).

Despite that, both are kinda “eh”. They really are just big beaters at heart so they don’t add much to a board, nor are they great at breaking boards. Growlithe has the benefit of the PAC’s Lavaridge Gym (pretty much enabling it to run over pretty much anything under level 8/Rank 7), but that’s pretty much it so far. Can’t really say much to change it without hurting flavor though.

In hindsight, I did consider on upping Arcanine's stat drop to 200 x Level/Rank and 300 for Link Rating, but iffy on if that would be pushing the border. Or just leave the stat drops as-is, and then give Arcanine the ability to stop monsters with lower ATK than it from triggering their effects during their summoning turn. That would probably fit better thematically for Intimidate, even if the stat drop technically works for in-game. 

But as a whole for the real game, FIRE Beasts are rare (if not being supported), but attribute it to Konami not designing archetypes and stuff for them. Now if they were Beast-WARRIOR, Growlithe would be getting Wolfbark support and stuff. But we'd be breaking a ton of flavor as they aren't human shape. 

I'll probably look it over in the morning; not at 2 am when I want to sleep.

Growlithe

Pretty ok beater. Effectively 2k+ stats when taking into account the weakening, but that's not too great to be honest. With Lavaridge and Torkoal, however that easily becomes about a ~3k beater with protection from targetting and card destruction. Burn damage is never bad. PokéFire just really enjoys good level-4 beatsticks.

Arcanine

Arcanine is a big beatstick and I actually like that, but its not good. Easy to summon and a "finisher", however, which is nice. Easy acces to at least 1300 damage is nothing to laugh at when it is on a card that is otherwise a good beater. Potential to do 2600 damage every time you destroy a monster is not bad either. Wouldn't change anything about it as I don't think every card should be the best card ever and I can see this card having some playability in beatdown decks.

Both cards are also quite good with Magcargo.

I think they're fine as is. A slight buff to Arcanine wouldn't really harm anyone (though I didn't really understand wether you meant that you wanted to make it so that monster effects are negated the turn Arcanine is summoned or if you wanted to make it a watered down "Skip-One Turn" on legs with the latter being not so to my liking tbh) and I would highly advice against giving Growlith some kind of effect which has to do with advantage.

The latter one, though taking into consideration that Intimidate only triggers when the user switches into battle, adjusting it to its summoning turn only would be the better idea. Otherwise, if I do give it the Lose One Turn thing, then it'll hurt more (meaning anything with less ATK than Arcanine cannot activate its effects until the next turn if it's still here, but unless they're super strong bosses with buffs, yeah)

Can just add that effect to Arcanine as a bonus upon evolving. 

Growlithe will stay as-is. 

• 4 weeks later...

Archived