Indisputable Borders Contest I

Dr.Kran

There are no limits this is free for all. (You aren't allowed to use other people's monsters except by effect) That means no turns, life points or restrictions other than card effects.

You will each start with 30% border points and 3 borders, each card is placed on 1 border zone.

Each border is worth 10% border points each.

Capture 100% to gain infinite card protection lvl 1 which negates all targeting effects giving your cards invisibility to all effects.

Capture 10,000% and x1000 so on for better protection.

The more kills you get the more points you get as well.

Get 100 kills with a single card and all effects are can't be triggered or target that one card.

Get 100,000 kills then once per turn that card can destroy all monsters.

Get 100,000,000,000 kills and you can use the following effects in any game (This a test of physics to show how fair they are.) this effect activated 1st will always be unchanged and unaffected by any of their terms due to the time relating to this effect on this post.

THE 1ST 6 PEOPLE START WITH 100% BORDER POINTS NEW SO QUIT WASTING TIME PLANNING AND PLAY.

This is probably the most bizarre contest I've seen in this section during its history, mainly due to how this is set up and whatnot compared to standard contests. In fact, this doesn't appear to be one.

But yeah, taking the weirdness into account:

• How exactly does this work in terms of getting "kills"?
  • If you're grading them for points or whatever, then what is your rubric? Note that you are REQUIRED to have one at all times.
  • The kill thing is unrealistic, especially given the activity in this section already. (Granted, the first people to join this technically have an advantage so to speak, but if you're expecting people to get 100 billion kills by some way, yeah, this is going to flop hard.)

This is not like some combat shooter game; cardmaking simply doesn't translate into this. 

====

If you have not already, read the section rules over for what you are required to have for a contest (and probably use the past contest threads here to see what would help make a contest successful). 

As this thing stands (with the info given), it's doubtful you will get participants.

This is probably the most bizarre contest I've seen in this section during its history, mainly due to how this is set up and whatnot compared to standard contests. In fact, this doesn't appear to be one.

But yeah, taking the weirdness into account:

• How exactly does this work in terms of getting "kills"?
  • If you're grading them for points or whatever, then what is your rubric? Note that you are REQUIRED to have one at all times.
  • The kill thing is unrealistic, especially given the activity in this section already. (Granted, the first people to join this technically have an advantage so to speak, but if you're expecting people to get 100 billion kills by some way, yeah, this is going to flop hard.)

This is not like some combat shooter game; cardmaking simply doesn't translate into this. 

====

If you have not already, read the section rules over for what you are required to have for a contest (and probably use the past contest threads here to see what would help make a contest successful). 

As this thing stands (with the info given), it's doubtful you will get participants.

Originaly this is what I thought a contest would be.

Any suggestions in making any improvements?A

A contest has both a task with rules and a prize.

READING RULES/EDITING

Originaly this is what I thought a contest would be.

Any suggestions in making any improvements?A

A contest has both a task with rules and a prize.

READING RULES/EDITING

This kind of setup would work in a non-Yugioh setting, but for card contests (like how things are structured here), it's more akin to a showcase-type thing (similar to those mini contests you might see at fairs or something) and you're the judge. 

Some suggestions:

1. As far as the judging scale goes, you can probably look at previous contests in the section for ideas on how to grade. A note that it does require that you have some idea about card design and what's going on in the metagame in order to make an informed decision during judging. For the most part, you do have to take into consideration balance/design, though you also have discretion for grading on stuff like creativity and grammar/spelling if you feel the need to. Doesn't mean you have to be an expert in competitive play, as not everyone is at that level and/or shares the same standards, but just know what you're doing.

For example, my general scale (on average) tends to be 60% on balance/playability, 25% for creativity [though it can range from 20-30 when needed] and 15% on grammar/spelling (out of 100 points). Other users have different scales and whatnot, but find one that fits you.

Just don't pick an arbitrary winner without justification (i.e. explain why you gave a participant a certain grade and any comments you had about it). A few years ago, we did have one user who had a contest and chose another member because of petty disagreements with other users when approached about his lack of proper judging. (I believe I linked to it in the rule thread so you could see)

2. As far as tasks go, you really have free reign on it (provided it's forum appropriate). Though given the inactivity in this section overall, it is usually advised that you just stick with a single card challenge. Less work for the participants and less work on you grading. 

Additionally, try not to do themes that are awkward for members to handle (or stuff that you personally wouldn't tackle). Overly specific ones or extremely broad ones don't work much either, though it helps if there is a bit of leeway in design liberties.

3. Deadline-wise, 1-2 weeks usually works, but take into account your own schedule and members in particular. It is impossible to know if they're working or doing academic stuff unless you ask and/or know about the school schedules for other countries. 

4. Prizing-wise, liking their posts (aka hitting that green button at bottom right) usually serves as an acceptable prize nowadays. Point prizes usually work, but that requires you to either charge entry fees or have a sizable amount of points already on hand.

If you intend on making this a contest series, you could probably award some series points here that members can use in the future for contests. What this amounts to is up to you.

And while I don't say this to discourage new members from hosting contests, you should probably get to know the place a bit more (and the member base). Doing so lets you gain experience in design (least if you post your works and get critiqued), and the members get to know who you are. 

Right now, you're still new by virtue of only starting posting yesterday.

This kind of setup would work in a non-Yugioh setting, but for card contests (like how things are structured here), it's more akin to a showcase-type thing (similar to those mini contests you might see at fairs or something) and you're the judge. 

Some suggestions:

1. As far as the judging scale goes, you can probably look at previous contests in the section for ideas on how to grade. A note that it does require that you have some idea about card design and what's going on in the metagame in order to make an informed decision during judging. For the most part, you do have to take into consideration balance/design, though you also have discretion for grading on stuff like creativity and grammar/spelling if you feel the need to. Doesn't mean you have to be an expert in competitive play, as not everyone is at that level and/or shares the same standards, but just know what you're doing.

For example, my general scale (on average) tends to be 60% on balance/playability, 25% for creativity [though it can range from 20-30 when needed] and 15% on grammar/spelling (out of 100 points). Other users have different scales and whatnot, but find one that fits you.

Just don't pick an arbitrary winner without justification (i.e. explain why you gave a participant a certain grade and any comments you had about it). A few years ago, we did have one user who had a contest and chose another member because of petty disagreements with other users when approached about his lack of proper judging. (I believe I linked to it in the rule thread so you could see)

2. As far as tasks go, you really have free reign on it (provided it's forum appropriate). Though given the inactivity in this section overall, it is usually advised that you just stick with a single card challenge. Less work for the participants and less work on you grading. 

Additionally, try not to do themes that are awkward for members to handle (or stuff that you personally wouldn't tackle). Overly specific ones or extremely broad ones don't work much either, though it helps if there is a bit of leeway in design liberties.

3. Deadline-wise, 1-2 weeks usually works, but take into account your own schedule and members in particular. It is impossible to know if they're working or doing academic stuff unless you ask and/or know about the school schedules for other countries. 

4. Prizing-wise, liking their posts (aka hitting that green button at bottom right) usually serves as an acceptable prize nowadays. Point prizes usually work, but that requires you to either charge entry fees or have a sizable amount of points already on hand.

If you intend on making this a contest series, you could probably award some series points here that members can use in the future for contests. What this amounts to is up to you.

And while I don't say this to discourage new members from hosting contests, you should probably get to know the place a bit more (and the member base). Doing so lets you gain experience in design (least if you post your works and get critiqued), and the members get to know who you are. 

Right now, you're still new by virtue of only starting posting yesterday.

I can't use this post, can you delete the entire thing? I lost interest in making the contest the way I do.

I actually saw what you meant though. Or maybe place it in junk to archive it.

Archived