Polo's Card-Design Contest [Pre-Contest Discussion]

Marco Polo

:526094_key:

Hi overly sexualized anime-girl profiles, 
This is in baby stages, but hopefully turnout is good and most of you are interested so this can kick off in the next couple weeks 
I'm (/ XStutzX on DeviantArt) and I'm an aspiring card artist.
I figured I could use the recognition as a baby artist and some of you could use the fact that there are card artists in this community, after all making cards and using artworks from the internet is not always ideal, right?

• If you're unfamiliar with my things and "who the hell"-ing me through your computer screen, first of all, SAME. second of all:
    [spoiler=Card Artworks][spoiler=Harpie]mythical_harpie_kelaino__updated___by_xs

[spoiler=Harpie #2]mythical_harpie_ocypete_by_xstutzx-d93f9

[spoiler=Disturbing sheet]sacrifice_to_the_furies__revamped___by_x

[spoiler=Sacrifice]offering_to_the_furies__card_art__by_xst

[spoiler=Lavalval]lavalval_lavafall_maiden__request__by_xs

[spoiler=Ice Cluster Amaryllis]ice_cluster_amaryllis__request__by_xstut

[spoiler=Anime-Style Confrontation]confronting_the_dark_priest__card_art__b

[spoiler=Forest Queen]echidna_the_mystical_bane_of_the_forest_

[spoiler=A Shaddoll Gishki]shaddoll_gishki_erial__tweaks___by_xstut

[spoiler=Battle in the Sylvan Forest]tension_in_the_sylvan_forest__updated___

:526110_key:So what's this contest about?
Me and a few friends discussed holding a card design contest in where final prize is an original set of artworks just for you, a full archetype of your design. You win and we help you bring your ideal archetype to life with exclusive original artwork, and (maybe, not mine to decide) an otherwise paid-for, but gorgeous series 10 Template, and maybe even more depends on what the others decide to grant. 

tl;dr - You win? free tailored artworks and a beautiful template!

:526103_key:How will it be held?
[spoiler=Contest]Well Tamar, do you even follow this sub?
a progressive contest that spans on around perhaps 7 weeks, with a special challenge every week, and additional mini challenges.
You can be the weekly winner and grab a minor prize, or you can accumulate mini challenge wins as the competition continues along

:526075_key:How do I win the whole thing? 
[spoiler=How to Win]Your record consists of your performance across the competition.
On the final week, we narrow down to the 3 or 4 contenders with the best track records (most wins, high placements or mini-challenge wins) and among the top 3 we choose the winner!
Do well in the competition, every challenge counts and if you do - welcome to the top 3.  :wink: 

:526104_key:How will it be judged?

[spoiler=Judging Format]I'll be upfront, I'm mostly an artist, less of a card designer and judge. Let's do this fair and discuss some judges to add to the panel so we could perhaps have a fair and legitimized game going? 

But the format, is:
Weekly Challenges: Main design challenge, could be a theme, an idea, could basic or completely wild. Ideally those won't be basic challenges, but twisty surprising ones to keep competitors interested and on their toes.

• Results are: WINNER > HIGH > MEDIUM > LOW

• Winners may get a prize, and the best you can do every week.
  • HIGH means you did exceptionally well but somebody did better, you were the 2nd best, we remember.
  • MEDIUM or in other words, decent job, take it well and step up your game. :)
  • LOW means you did some tomfoolery not expected in a serious contest, more lows can get you kicked off. That's simply to regulate quality entries for the contest. (shouldn't happen really)

Judges will post short (or long) critiques depending on how remarkable was your entry for better or worse, things they liked and things they didn't. Ideally after this would be the time to respond if you feel like the judges didn't get what you were trying to do. 

After clap-backs, final results will be posted and the week will wrap up with the next challenge announcement.

Mini Challenges: Challenges you take lightly, it could be even about more than just play-ability. Gags, outside concepts, etc. These weigh less but if you didn't do well in the Weekly here you can compensate.
Usually 1 or 2 winners for each, there are also slightly more of these.

:526090_key: Prizes

[spoiler=Prizes]Discuss, how many artworks are enough for a final prize? Is adding a template enough? (it's a gorgeous one I swear)
Should also every weekly winner get an art? (remember we're human!!) Should points be also distributed?

Consolation prizes for 2nd, 3rd places? 

:526086_key:Remember! it's a pre-discussion, at best we this will kick off late.
You guys have a say in anything, I just want the drama of engaging this community in a big contest and working with someone on their own cute cards to good results. 

I might have missed something because I'm what? - A MESS! But if you come across missing details or questions, do tell. Also express your willingness, concerns or unwillingness to participate. I'm gauging the turnout.

i am best anime gril

Really, really like this idea. Can only hope the rest of the community is as keen on it, so it can actually kick off! If you need judges, I'm happy to volunteer, although I also really want to participate because i want that sweet sweet art it'll be a ton of fun. Most of the rest of the post looks fine in terms of togetherness, although simple in the area of formatting it does look a little weird. Would suggest either not using quotes or using spoilers like so:

[spoiler=This is a Spoiler]this is stuff

this is more stuff
[/spoiler]

this is more stuff

As for your discussion questions, I would think of one piece of artwork every two weeks seems reasonable, as you are only human...although if multiple people are doing art, it could probably be once a week. No points for the main prize, but points for consolation could work...with perhaps multiple art awards for the final winners of the competition? Would be happy to donate towards the pool there. I might even offer myself to do one piece of the art...but with my lack of confidence I'd probably abandon ship halfway though, and you guys seem more keen.

i am best anime gril

Really, really like this idea. Can only hope the rest of the community is as keen on it, so it can actually kick off! If you need judges, I'm happy to volunteer, although I also really want to participate because i want that sweet sweet art it'll be a ton of fun. Most of the rest of the post looks fine in terms of togetherness, although simple in the area of formatting it does look a little weird. Would suggest either not using quotes or using spoilers like so:

this is more stuff

As for your discussion questions, I would think of one piece of artwork every two weeks seems reasonable, as you are only human...although if multiple people are doing art, it could probably be once a week. No points for the main prize, but points for consolation could work...with perhaps multiple art awards for the final winners of the competition? Would be happy to donate towards the pool there. I might even offer myself to do one piece of the art...but with my lack of confidence I'd probably abandon ship halfway though, and you guys seem more keen.

Hey, thank you! Glad you're excited. Duplicate yourself and we have a contest :laugh:

Handing out an art every other week would kinda screw every other weekly winner, no? Week 1 winner gets an art, week 2 winner doesn't? yikes; Who is a trusted judge around YCM, who you'll like to see judge?

Consolation points sound cool, if we could pull a points pool. (clock the pun)

The final winner will most likely get a whole archetype (like 8, 10?..) worth of artworks (along with Grezar's template )

This thread is to see if this is a ship worth sailing with, and see if there are valid suggestion, any more people interested participating or discussing?

Hopefully I'm not too late with this, but I suppose a few general thoughts on this. 

Pretty sure a lot of people would enjoy having custom artworks made, as not everyone here is capable of designing them themselves and you probably know how difficult it can be to find something that you want on Google. Honestly, I think the only members nowadays who do their own artworks are Sleepy (primarily), you, Egmoedeus (at times) and then me [to an extent] (well, after a bit of vectoring and whatnot), but this is somewhat tangential to this discussion. In terms of how often you do this, maybe every other week would be doable since yeah, you're human and making artwork does take a fair bit of time otherwise. If you have friends on dA to help you with it, then maybe you can do more. 

Though, given the general activity in Custom Cards lately (and I suppose depending on the themes you decide to go for), you may get a small pool of competitors (or maybe none at all). Don't get me wrong, you may attract a few of the newer members and whatnot, however it's on them to express interest. 

Points would be fine as a consolation prize, though until the shop gets fixed and there's more avenues to really use them, they are somewhat meaningless except for buying VIP, member group requests and so forth. For winners, sure, make artwork. (Or you can award reps/likes; those somehow have more value than points nowadays). Templates are fine, but do note that most members probably don't have the money to shell out for Photoshop (and Grezar has been explicit about not supporting GIMP, TCGEditor or whatever; the former of which is free).

As far as judging goes, you'd want someone who can still grade on design but not be heavy-handed on it and have some leniency in doing so; taking into consideration that not everyone is as in-tune with what's going on competitively; least from the usuals who have entered in the past. One thing of note that needs to be taken is that members are designing for the TCG banlist only; there are a handful who do reference what's happening on the other side. At the moment though, no one has really judged any contests (or really HOSTED any thereof). Dova and I are both competent enough to critique stuff, but I do have other commitments that I need to contend with offline like coursework (that, and I have other side contest ideas for the area that are separate from this).

Considering how dead the section is at present though, it's a nice idea but ultimately it depends on who actually cares enough to enter and how everything plays out. 

It isn't just YCM. I can gather people from DA and / or Discord too.

No point advertising it if it aint discussed prior though.

Yui and nathaniel said they'd participate if I remember correctly.

Batmed would participate, grezar will.

I imagine drearia might too. But he didn't reply or see the thread.

Also about weekly prizes its either weekly or none, since I can't discriminate one winner and give only every 2nd one an art. Weekly does sound tough, it would only make sense if I do it all since, ya know, it should be consistent

What I meant about every other week is that you just hold the contest every 2 weeks, so judges have time to take a break from grading and you can rest for a while as well. By doing this, you would still give members an art every contest, but not throwing them or yourself into the fire every week. Though, if you do insist on being weekly, then probably ask one of your friends on dA to help out as it'll make it easier on you. 

Then again, if you want to get Drearia's attention, @ him like you would in Discord. 

====

Would be good if you can get guys from dA and Discord here (well, considering a few of the ones who used to go in DP left for their own server because of the climate here). Probably would help out the situation with a low new member count, but how it'd work out remains to be seen.

Archived