Onirangutan (Beast Mode, But For Actual Beasts)

Funny thing is, this card's sub-title can be both a diss and a clarification refer to the type of 

YOUR BRAND-NEW BEAST SUPPORT CARD

onirangutan_by_bdsceptyr-dcgozfo.png

[spoiler=Onirangutan: Info]

DARK/Beast-Type Effect Monster/Level 4/1100 ATK/2200 DEF

Lore: (Quick Effect): You can send this card from your hand or field to the GY, then target 1 Beast monster you control; Special Summon 1 Beast monster from your Deck with the same Level as that monster, but a different Attribute, and if you do, both that target and that Summoned monster are unaffected by other monster effects for the rest of the turn. You can only use this effect of "Onirangutan" once per turn. If your opponent controls a Special Summoned monster and you control no other "Onirangutan", all Beast monsters you control gain ATK equal to half of their original DEF.

So, a handtrap that allows you to bring out similar-Level but opposing-Attribute Beasts to your field and gives both effect immunity. And it becomes 2200 ATK if your opponent has a Special Summoned monster to ram this fella into. Which should be easy to do if you use, oh I dunno, ONE Onirangutan to Summon another! R4nk Pools never looked so promising for Beasts, have they?

Be sure to keep this cute pet away from the True Dracos though, y'know. He's just so shy in the face of them, its just not fair. 

And Lair of Darkness may be a nice thing to run with this to make sure you can possibly get copies of stuff you already have on the field ('member, this demands the Attribute of the monster on the field stay what it is, not counting its original one. Find a way to alter it, you've got Xyz plays for days with Beasts. 

Until the next card folks, reviews, revelry, you know the drill. 

BD'S, signing off. 

UPDATE I: now with less schlocky wordplay in the (Quick Effect) text. Thanks for the heads-up Dova.

Quick effects cannot activate during the damage step unless they modify ATK/DEF values, negate the activation of something or are specifically ruled otherwise, so you don't have to worry about that :)

Potential plays, you have itself as a target as you so rightfully said, so running 3 of them things in any R4 Deck allows for rare bricks but mostly stable plays. Really like the effect protection and Oni's own secondary effect, really spicing up the card without being too broken/supportive/out of place.

Nothing really meta comes to mind, but this card would be a major boost in most things it would be played in. Heraldic Beasts, Crystal Beasts, Bujin potentially if you don't open Yamato, and you can even use this in tandem with Flying Elephant for the memes. All of these are R4, true, but Beasts are like Reptiles when it comes to their actual good cards, and when they feature in archetypes, they're normally few and far between, severely limiting potential splashing and other plays.

One of my favorite cards of yours :)

Was wondering why it's a monster when it could very well be a searching Quick-Play Spell, but then it was pointed out it can be used on a copy of itself, making it less bricky, and that's a plus for sure.

Looks really good to me. I cannot think of anything meta-relevant this card would support, but the potential of becoming good is there, as we never know when the next best thing will be Beast-themed. Heck, even if that next best thing is a Mono-Attribute Beast deck, this still allows for funny Beast techs with different Attributes, such as Fencing Fire Ferret. This being DARK already lets it mesh better with EARTH Beasts, the most common ones.

Dova and Darj already pointed this out, but yeah, Beasts aren't exactly prominent right now (least as a full-fledged Deck anyway; some single ones have proven themselves over the years). But despite that, it's a nice card otherwise. Most of the time, yeah, you'll probably summon Level 4s because the monsters in other ones are terrible right now (least for the most part). Going off the examples Dova gave above; Heraldic Beasts could use it if triggering off Unicorn as otherwise the other targets like Leo, Eale and Basilisk are all EARTH, Bujins are all LIGHT so you can't really do it and as for the other ones, it's a gimmicky option, but it's doable. Yeah, you can Special Summon another copy of this card if needed, but that's about it for the most part (outside of giving you more Rank 4 fodder). I do like the stat boosting effect though, as it's essentially a field-wise Wild Nature's Release without the drawback of blowing self up in the end (and if done on the same turn) and permanent.

The card is fine as-is for what it does, but simply that lack of viable Beast archetypes that can make use of this card's SS effect (and the general pool overall) or really any good ones that aren't Level 4 and still worth it in this generation. Couple this with the fact that majority of Beasts are EARTH Attribute; some exceptions being the LIGHT Bujingis, but yeah. Maybe if Konami releases better Beasts of different Attributes, this card's true worth can shine through.

I don't know, I would say to remove the Level restriction, but...that could lead to potential abuse in the future, even if it isn't prevalent now looking at the current Beast lineup.

Archived