Voting Deadline: Tuesday 31st July - 7PM BST

1. 1_zpswwis2jaf.png

2. 1July20-2018_zpsretko8mm.jpg

3. G0t7EOb.png

4. lo2Q6g0.png

5. pTaqb2u.gif

[spoiler=-]

Theme: Gaming

Deadline: Saturday, 28th July 2018 (the vote will go live on Sunday 29th)

Theme excerpt:

"Every age has its storytelling form, and video gaming is a huge part of our culture. You can ignore or embrace video games and imbue them with the best artistic quality. People are enthralled with video games in the same way as other people love the cinema or theatre."

Rule-set:

• All submissions must be PMed to me prior to the deadline.

• You're allowed to change your submission, just PM any modifications.

• Once submitted you may not post the piece in Showcase until the competition concludes.

• The theme is a guideline, although it's recommended you execute it well for voting purposes, it's still up to your artistic interpretation.

• The maximum dimensions for your submission are 550 pixels for width and/or length.

• Tags made prior to the date of this post are not valid, nor are collaborated pieces.

• Keep the contents of the tag PG-13.

• Ripping (art theft) of any form is not permitted.

• 2 weeks later...

1 Is pretty good, the character looks good, the color scheme looks stylish, the effects are good enough, and it's good.

2 I hate. The character looks faded/grungy/etc all at once and it looks like a .jpg image, also none of the effects feel flashy or eye catching

3 is weird. Like, I don't know what they were going for, all that's there is a landscape and some not very cool effects. Okay...?

4 is nice, the effects are all smooth and clean and pleasing to look at and not too confusing to look at, and the character is pretty enough

5 is a mastapiece, the film grain effect on it looks great, the background looks great, the concept is nice, the character choice and enemy choice are great, and it's overall great

so i'd say 5 > 1 > 4 > 3 > 2

Far from being an artist, but wanna drop my thoughts:

I'm between #1 and #5.

About #1, really digging the theme and some of the elements chosen for it, like the eye, the wires attached to it, heck even the grenades remind me of Call of Duty games. And of course the PlayStation controller buttons there, although I'm more of a Nintendo player so I'm not biased by the console representation. I like as well the dark vibe it has with the purplish background.

#2 and #3 don't really stand out to me, while #4 looks fine and yet, dunno how to explain it, but I find it plain. I think my issue with it is that it looks as if was only comprised of 3 colors: blue, yellow, and pink on the dude. I guess it's a personal thing that I'm not really into this kind of art.

As for #5, it looks stunning. It's even animated! I'm only hesitant because the characters are not among my favorites; if anything, only Cloud, but that's because of Smash4, not because of Final Fantasy itself, and admittedly I barely know him beyond Smash and the Advent Children movie. Anyway, if I was more familiar or interested in the characters, I would vote for this entry, no question, but since they aren't, it lets me take a look at the other entries. At the same time, I feel it would be unfair not to vote for this just because of the character selection, as pretty much everything looks amazing.

In short, regardless of whichever I end up voting for, wanted to state that I find both #1 and #5 equally good for different reasons, for whatever my thoughts are worth to the entry creators.

5  gmv ezclap for me :p

The animations are really nice and piece fits perfectly with the theme. It literally looks like an actual game and really nice lighting in the spritework. 

Out of the other pieces, 3 caught my attention the most. The concept is really interesting. The style and execution however need a little development. There's issues with the perspective and depth that's preventing the piece from reading quickly enough for viewer's to comprehend what's happening at first. The "edge of the box" effect (not the blue-green-red xyz indicators) would perhaps work better if it was placed near the grassy parts as the terrain there is more flat and coincides with the inherent flatness of the 3 lines. Also food for thought: consider using perspective planes (the thing you use to find vanishing points) since they are similar to the existing wireframe effects and help build depth. The transitions between the different elements in the piece (the wireframe to the binary, binary to the bg) also could be smoother; right now, the use of eraser tool is pretty obvious. Lastly, The solid gray background feels too flat at the moment where the binary doesn't exist. There needs to be some element there to create a sense of space. For me personally, this immediately came to mind which might be useful as inspiration. Would love to see more of this style or future iterations of the piece. KIU.   

Archived