[Discussion] Why do (seemingly) a lot of Pokemon fanfics involve aura?

I just finished watching Pokemon Lucario and the mystery of Mew and from what was shown in the movie I fail to see how Lucario and aura got so popular. Thus I'm curious to hear the other side of the story.

edit: I do think that from the perspective of telling a story and making a good movie the movie was good. I just don't see how it became a big phenomenon outside of being a movie with a well told story.

I just finished watching Pokemon Lucario and the mystery of Mew and from what was shown in the movie I fail to see how Lucario and aura got so popular. Thus I'm curious to hear the other side of the story.

it's a way to make human characters interesting. It's easier to slap on a special power than write an otherwise compelling character, and many amateur writers don't know the difference.

Lucario is popular because a sizable chunk of the Pokemon fanbase is edgy borderline furries.

it's a way to make human characters interesting. It's easier to slap on a special power than write an otherwise compelling character, and many amateur writers don't know the difference.

Lucario is popular because a sizable chunk of the Pokemon fanbase is edgy borderline furries.

I agree with the first line, but I'm not sure about the 2nd: why not some other pokemon?

edit: wow, first reply in record time

I agree with the first line, but I'm not sure about the 2nd: why not some other pokemon?

1. His features are somewhere between a fox and a dog, lending itself to both groups of furries.

2. He is already anthropomorphised (walks on 2 legs most of the time, can talk and is intelligent) and yet has feral potential, again lending itself to two groups of imaginations.

3. Former evolution is cute maybe?

4. Presence in movies??

5. Presence in smash?????

Mostly just guessing, but there is a large Lucario fanbase.

As for my thoughts on Aura, what Giga said. It's a power already created and somewhat defined, so it's easier than making your own, yet at the same time its very vague, kinda like DBZ ki, meaning you can really do anything you want with it.

Honestly, I think Aura is just something that people can think easily of and have a good grasp of the idea and can understand. Truthfully, I'd be the one to use other things...like some powers one would find in the accompanying books of the PTU (Pokémon Tabletop United) series.

An example of this: Sparkmaster (people with Electric power), Maelstrom (people with Water power), etc. Utilizing other Pokémon elements could actually benefit people in stories a lot more than being an Aura Guardian or just someone just associated with Aura. That's all my personal opinion.

1. His features are somewhere between a fox and a dog, lending itself to both groups of furries.

2. He is already anthropomorphised (walks on 2 legs most of the time, can talk and is intelligent) and yet has feral potential, again lending itself to two groups of imaginations.

3. Former evolution is cute maybe?

4. Presence in movies??

5. Presence in smash?????

Mostly just guessing, but there is a large Lucario fanbase.

As for my thoughts on Aura, what Giga said. It's a power already created and somewhat defined, so it's easier than making your own, yet at the same time its very vague, kinda like DBZ ki, meaning you can really do anything you want with it.

You put some thought into this. From what I know of the furry fandom those first 2 points seem like good guesses.

Archived