Canadian man legally lists gender as female to get cheaper car insurance

Ryusei the Morning Star

Not to say I agree with some of the corporate policies regarding insurance rates, but I'm never really fond of legal exploitation. It seems he had no ill intent, but regardless of what he meant by his actions they can invalidate the motivations of actual trans individuals.

As an aside, this is probably the most objective Fox news article I've ever read.

Not to say I agree with some of the corporate policies regarding insurance rates, but I'm never really fond of legal exploitation. It seems he had no ill intent, but regardless of what he meant by his actions they can invalidate the motivations of actual trans individuals.

As an aside, this is probably the most objective Fox news article I've ever read.

Why would you not take advantage of ludicrous laws? I'm surprised more men don't complete in female sports and say they're M->F 

Why would you not take advantage of ludicrous laws? I'm surprised more men don't complete in female sports and say they're M->F 

What would you say the laws should be then?

Like, I get that just being able to transition too willy nilly is easily exploitable. But making it harder probably isn't too great for actual trans people. 

What would you say the laws should be then?

Like, I get that just being able to transition too willy nilly is easily exploitable. But making it harder probably isn't too great for actual trans people. 

They're a tiny tiny tiny minority of the population. And how about actually transitioning as the requirement, instead of you know, growing out your hair and wearing a skirt

And how about actually transitioning as the requirement, instead of you know, growing out your hair and wearing a skirt

Believe it or not, but some dysphoric people don't want to full on transition.

Transitioning also comes AFTER changing your legal gender and appearance. So you're basically saying to prove you can do step 3 by having done step 6, which doesn't really work.

Edit: Transitions really aren't as easy as "slam dunk a knife on that schlongbong". At the stage you're at (changing legal gender), all you'd see of being trans is that they've grown their hair out and are wearing a skirt. If even that.

I'm going to admit I only wrote this edit so I could use the sentence "slam dunk a knife on that schlongbong". But in all seriousness, the issue is close to my heart. And tbh from what you've been saying you don't look to have actual experience with the system or issues.

Believe it or not, but some dysphoric people don't want to full on transition.

Transitioning also comes AFTER changing your legal gender and appearance. So you're basically saying to prove you can do step 3 by having done step 6, which doesn't really work.

Edit: Transitions really aren't as easy as "slam dunk a knife on that schlongbong". At the stage you're at (changing legal gender), all you'd see of being trans is that they've grown their hair out and are wearing a skirt. If even that.

I'm going to admit I only wrote this edit so I could use the sentence "slam dunk a knife on that schlongbong". But in all seriousness, the issue is close to my heart. And tbh from what you've been saying you don't look to have actual experience with the system or issues.

That's not my problem really: Like it or not, our legal system forces the rest of us to subsidize the transition so there's really no excuse. If you wanna become the opposite gender, walk the walk before talking the talk.

This is like Blacks saying they want the right to vote, and getting it, but then saying they're prefer 5 others things first. (Which in case you miss it, is not how they reacted)

Gender dysphoria and being a minority is completely different. 

If I could take a pill to feel like a normal man, I'd take it, not because of the rights, or the hassle or discrimination. But because tbh gender dysphoria is more comparable to a mental illness than a skin colour. And you can see transitioning into the other gender as a possible cure. (The only effective one there is at the moment)

It's not about equal rights, it's about being able to cure these people effectively. And for that to work you can't put transitioning physically before transitioning mentally and legally. Making use of these laws in "clever" ways is like getting adderal by acting you have ADHD. You're getting a cure you don't need. And it's not like this guy could just go into that office willy nilly and go "lemme change muh gender pls", he had to convince a doctor that he had gender dysphoria and needed this cure. And doing this makes it so people with real gender dysphoria have a harder time getting a diagnosis because doctors will go "He's just trying to get a cheaper car insurance". Which, mind you, already happens with people with ADHD who can't get a diagnosis because doctors think they're just druggies wanting adderal.

Edit: Also, where I'm from, changing your legal gender is not subsidised. You need to pay up to have it legally changed.

because I believe it reduces the integrity of the legal system, and muddies up precedent. It creates an objectively better situation for me, but at the cost of harming the society as a whole. I already explained how I believe it can be damaging.

because I believe it reduces the integrity of the legal system, and muddies up precedent. It creates an objectively better situation for me, but at the cost of harming the society as a whole. I already explained how I believe it can be damaging.

A significant portion of the population believes this whole situation with the gender-swapping is a slippery slope. Why should we not take advantage of poorly written laws to exemplify that view? For example, they used to require a doctors note, they no longer do. That imo, is a retarded change, so this guy took advantage of it

A significant portion of the population believes this whole situation with the gender-swapping is a slippery slope. Why should we not take advantage of poorly written laws to exemplify that view? For example, they used to require a doctors note, they no longer do. That imo, is a retarded change, so this guy took advantage of it

Did you read the article? He got a doctor's note.

Did you read the article? He got a doctor's note.

Edit: NVM

It used to be that Albertans had to produce a doctor’s note to switch gender markers on their personal documents, the CBC said. But in June the government halted that requirement for adults, which opened the door to simply mark their genders as M, F or X — the latter being for those who don’t fit into male or female binaries, the network said.

While “David” told the network he didn’t mean disrespect to the trans community and only wanted to save money, Marni Panas isn’t sympathizing.

Edit: Re-read the article. Which doctor gives someone a note just like that? Jesus, that's dumb. However, the law in itself is not the problem, this doctor is.

THEY DON'T NEED A DOCTORS NOT IN CANADA?

HAHAHAHA who made these laws? Never mind my previous comment, holy hell. WHY? WHY WOULD YOU NOT NEED A DOCTORS NOTE?

Because it hurts people's feelings to go to the doctor or what? I cannot understand why you would make this a law.

Giga is correct, he did get one, but he's not legally required to get one in Alberta

Giga is correct, he did get one, but he's not legally required to get one in Alberta

Still got it way too easily though. No competent doctor would just give you a note like that.

That also answers why no one else has done it. People have probably tried but failed because they would've had to go to counceling and stuff like that, which would've probably at a certain point gone "Well, you might want hormone therapy". At which point they probably noped out.

I did find another case where some journalist legaly changed her legal gender to male quite easily. I believe her name is Lauren Southern or something. Don't know much about the case other than that she went in dressed fully feminine and got her gender changed to male. Also in Canada btw.

I honestly think the guy just had no idea wtf he was doing and just thought "I can save money this way!". 

I think the best reaction would just be "We understand, but please don't do that".

Edit: Also, how is "gender swapping" (not gonna lie, sounds a bit disrespectful) a slippery slope? I seriously do not understand what about it is a slippery slope?

Edit Edit: to explain why I think it sounds disrespectful. Calling transitioning "Gender Swapping" is like telling a despressed person who uses the anti-depressant Xanax that he's "Popping Xannies". Which is fine, if it's a joke in my opinion, but not as a serious term.

To: Everyone

If this becomes a debate about trans rights/transgenders then you'll have to make a Debate thread. As it is this is a General thread about a legal situation so try and keep it about that. Some of the posts have gotten a bit close to the edge.

Also, Ninjask, try not to double post okay? It's best after a few minutes to just edit your first post if no one posted after.

By law (in Canada) hospitals cannot charge females more than males for medical care despite the fact that women usually require more and specialized health care. It is a fact that men are more at risk for car insurance and insurance companies usually charge males more even if they have a clean record. (Like, a lot more. My sisters car insurance is 500$ a month and she has 1 accident where she was at fault, mine is over 500$, I have 5 more years of driving experience and I have a clean record.)

So where do you draw the line? Both are providing services that you pay into but might not ever need. One has protection from the law for gender discrimination and one does not.

Archived