Sabai Raja, my attempt to make Rituals relevant again.

Perry Ellis.

Sabai Raja is my attempt to make Ritual monsters meta relevant again. their main gimmick is disrupting your opponent's plays by discarding a card of the same type from the hand. 

[spoiler=Monsters]

Apostle of Sabai Raja

LIGHT | Level 1 | Spellcaster | Effect 

When this card is Summoned, place 1 “Principle of Sabai Raja” card in your Spell/Trap zone from your Deck. This card can be used for the entire tribute of a “Sabai Raja” Ritual monster.

1300/1300

Writer’s Note: Initial combo starter, his effect allows you to fish for any of the Ritual spells from your GY and activate them immediately. Its second effect allows the player to trigger the other 2 main deck monster’s effects that allow them to special summoning themselves from the hand allowing the player to further extend their combos. 

Deacon of Sabai Raja

LIGHT | Level 3 | Spellcaster | Effect

If a “Principle of Sabai Raja” card is sent to the GY, you can add up to 2 “Principle of Sabai Raja” card(s) from your GY to your Hand. Once per turn, if a "Sabai Raja" Ritual monster activates an effect, you can Special summon this card from your Hand or GY.

Writer’s Note: Deacon is basically a “the weather cloud” of the deck. Its effect combos well with Practitioner’s effect.

edits:  + more conditions for Special Summon Effect.

Practitioner of Sabai Raja

LIGHT | Level 5 | Spellcaster | Effect

Once per turn, you can send 1 face up “Principle of Sabai Raja” card to the GY; Place 1 “Principle of Sabai Raja” Spell/Trap card with a different name from your Deck in your Spell/Trap zone. Once per turn, if a "Sabai Raja" Ritual monster is Summoned, you can Special summon this card from your Hand or GY.

1600/1600

Writer’s Note: Practitioner is a “Weather Thunder” for the archetype, its effect allows you to cycle through different

principle cards in order to move your game plan forward.

edits: + more conditions for Special Summon Effect. 

[spoiler=Ritual monsters]

Sabai Raja, Nirvana

Ritual | LIGHT | Level 8 | Spellcaster | Effect

You can only Ritual Summon this card with a “Principle of Sabai Raja” Continuous Spell and only once per turn. During the Main Phase (Quick Effect): you can Send 1 card from your hand to the GY, all face up monsters on the field become the same type of card as the one sent to the GY until the End Phase. If this card is sent from the field to the GY, you can add 1 “Sabai Raja” card from your Deck to your hand. You can only activate each effect of “Sabai Raja, Nirvana” once per turn.

Writer’s Note: So far the only Ritual monster, its effect combos extremely well with all of the principle cards in the archetype. The added search effect is to make your opponent think twice about destroying Nirvana.

edits: + added a hard once per turn summon to Nirvana

[spoiler=Spells]

Temple of the Sabai Raja, Shangri La

Field Spell

Once per turn, you can add 1 “Sabai Raja” monster from your Deck to your hand or send 1 “Sabai Raja” monster from your Deck to the GY. When a Ritual monster(s) is Summoned, Draw 1 card. 

Writer’s Note: Another combo starter for the deck, it’s effect helps the player either add a crucial Sabai Raja monster to your hand or the player can send it to the GY to activate one of the principle card’s effects.

1st Principle of Sabai Raja - Paramudita

Continuous Spell

Once per turn, you can use this card to Ritual Summon any “Sabai Raja” Ritual Monster from your GY You must Tribute monsters from the field or Shuffle banished monster back into the Deck whose levels equal or exceed the Level of the Ritual Monster you Ritual Summon. You cannot Summon any other monsters for the rest of the turn except Ritual or “Sabai Raja” monster(s) . Once per turn, when your opponent adds a card to their hand from the Deck (except by drawing); you can Discard a card of the same type, banish that card.

Writer’s Note: in order to help keep up with the meta I thought it would be a good idea to some how be able to punish your opponent for destroying your ritual monster. Since this is effect could possibly be abused when used in conjunction with Deacon or Practitioner I thought it would be a good idea to add a summoning restriction. Its last effect is where the true gimmick of the archtype lies, this effect doesn’t combo to well with Nirvana, since her effect only changes the type of card on the field, but I still thought that a archetypal “ash” could make them relevant. 

2nd Principle of Sabai Raja - Vimala

Continuous Spell

Once per turn, you can use this card to Ritual Summon any “Sabai Raja” Ritual Monster from your hand. You must Tribute monsters from your Deck and/or banish from your GY whose levels equal or exceed the Level of the Ritual Monster you Ritual Summon. You cannot Summon any other monsters for the rest of the turn except Ritual or “Sabai Raja” monster(s). Once per turn, when your opponent would activate a face-up card effect that targets another card; you can Discard a card of the same type and if you do negate that effect and Destroy that card.

Writer’s Note: the more traditional Ritual summon effect, this principle negates targeting once per turn for the archtype.

5th Principle of Sabai Raja - Sudurjaya

Continuous Spell

Once per turn, you can use this card to Ritual Summon any banished “Sabai Raja” Ritual Monster. You must Tribute monsters from your hand and/or field whose levels equal or exceed the Level of the Ritual Monster you Ritual Summon. You cannot Summon any other monsters for the rest of the turn except Ritual or “Sabai Raja” monster(s). Once per turn, the first time a card on your field would be destroyed; you can Discard a card of the same type instead.

Writer’s Note: another interesting way of making sure you always have a Ritual monster on the field. This principle helps prevent destruction for one of your Sabai Raja cards once per turn. 

What are the thematics behind this archetype? I'm getting eastern mysticism, but my unfamiliarity with the subject matter isn't helpful. Just curious.

Main problem with this archetype is the ease of using most of the effects, and the lack of any hard once per turn or once per turn of any sort. Apostle has an on-Summon effect that nets you a card from your Deck (should probably specify that's where it grabs from) you can immediately use, and it can't even be ashed. Works on all sorts of Summons, but it's not really so much of a problem as this archetype does barely any non-Ritual Summoning at all. Deacon and Practioner are where the lack of OPT becomes more of a problem, as they're easily Summonable and endlessly grant recyclable combos together. If you had a way of searching your Ritual Monster, they could combo easily, resummoning themselves when you bring up a Ritual Monster, then sending your Spells to the GY to grab more, then add them from the GY back to the hand again. Last problem is the Field Spell, with the last effect being so generic and unrestricted that any fast Ritual Deck (e.g. Zielgigas Turbo)  can plus a lot from its simplicity.

Your Ritual Monster would be decently designed among the rest of your set, but leading onto your Continuous Spells...it just seems lacking, currently. You have Card Type manipulation while only have 2 played Card Types in your Deck, not to mention actually changing face-up monsters to Traps could give ruling nightmares. Your Continuous Spells seem to have a cycle thing going on, Summoning from 3 locations, but with only 1 Ritual Monster, there's not much point running the Summoning from banish one, with only a few GY ones.

The set seems chaotic, unfocused, with simple effects that seem alright simply because they don't really do anything except support. The archetype is balanced on the edge of a precipice, ready to fall into the abyss of brokenness with just a few more cards here and there. I love me some Rituals, but I don't really see what you are doing here.

What are the thematics behind this archetype? I'm getting eastern mysticism, but my unfamiliarity with the subject matter isn't helpful. Just curious.

The set seems chaotic, unfocused, with simple effects that seem alright simply because they don't really do anything except support. The archetype is balanced on the edge of a precipice, ready to fall into the abyss of brokenness with just a few more cards here and there. I love me some Rituals, but I don't really see what you are doing here.

Thank you for the review,

The Themematics as of now are based in Eastern Mysticism but once I fully flesh out the archetype ill probably get more specific.

went back and added the location for Apostle's effect, nice catch. as for Deacon and Practitioner, I went back and made their Summoning effect more conditional and added a once per turn clause to both. I still decided against a hard once per turn because I still think it would be good to allow the archetype to special summon monsters asap. 

I'm going to go back to the draw board a little bit and ee what else o can do to focus this archetype a little more.

thanks again for the review though!

Archived