Name a movie, I'll give my thoughts on it if I've seen it

(GigaDrillBreaker)

Hot take: Sharknado is bad because one does not "try" for "so bad it's good". The Room is lightning in the bottle in strong part because of its earnest nature in how it tries very hard to be good by normal standards.

That said, let's dive into Weird Sci-Fi Territory: Interstellar.,

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hot take: Sharknado is bad because one does not "try" for "so bad it's good". The Room is lightning in the bottle in strong part because of its earnest nature in how it tries very hard to be good by normal standards.

it's not "so bad it's good" it's "so campy it's fun" in the same vein as Army of Darkness.

That said, let's dive into Weird Sci-Fi Territory: Interstellar.,

as far as sci fi goes, I wouldn't call it weird. Arguably the second most scientific movie I've seen from the genre (behind the Martian, which sciences so funking hard that all the equations check out). I'm gonna be honest, I like "family is what makes humans amazing" movies, and I like epic sci fi films. I don't want those to be the same movie. Also, the entire bit with Matt Damon could have been pulled and we'd have a two hour movie that didn't feel like it exploits relativity hard enough for your child to age to 120 by the time you have finished watching this attention-sucking black hole of a film.

Seriously though, I really did like it. Stellar performances from everyone involved, and it played with some fantastic ideas (puddle planet is funking scary), I just feel it was too heavy-handed, and allowed the emotional aspects and scientific marvels to get in each other's way far too often.

Also, TARS is my second favorite robot from any movie ever. Eat your heart out, WALL-E.

Birdemic 2

haven't seen it, and glad.

the tremors movies

first is amazing. Blend of hokey monster movie, cowboy thriller, and everything else I could have hoped for.

We don't talk about the others.

Iron Giant and Prince of Egypt.

Iron Giant is incredible. Absolutely stunning animation, especially considering the period of time in which it was released. The start of many wonderful films by Brad Byrd.

I was raised Christian, so I watched Prince of Egypt at an early age. Honestly, I haven't seen it in a long time, so I can't say much in good faith.

I loved that movie! Second one was alright, and wasn't interested in the third.

Anywho:

Paranormal Activity

these are not good movies. In my opinion, for a horror movie to be of any real quality, more than half of the scary moments need to be from something other than jump scares. Paranormal Activity is 100% jump scares. That being said, I have to commend them for creating these films on such a shoe-string budget, taking hints from things like The Blair Witch Project to show that the use of an in-universe camera can both reduce camera costs (a GoPro costs a few hundred dollars. Most film-quality video cameras cost tens of thousands, if not more) and increase the overall immersion. If this weren't already tried and true by 2007, and there hadn't been better found footage movies since (chronicle immediately comes to mind) I'd be much more impressed.

Meteorites!

this wasn't easy to find on Google. I haven't seen it, and from what I read I have very little desire to.

Bee Movie

According to all known laws of film, there is no way Bee Movie should have a cult following. Jerry Seinfeld is too unfunny to get the strung-together collection of puns disguised as a script off the ground. The movie, of course, is everywhere on the internet anyway because 4chan doesn't care what critics think is impossible.

The Man from Earth

I haven't seen this, but from the small amount I just read, I'd quite like to.

Star Wars: The Force Awakens. I saw it for the first time yesterday, and to be honest it was better than I was expecting.

Of the main series films, TFA is the best, by quite a wide margin. It most perfectly captures the spirit of the original trilogy (most notably Star Wars) to the point where one of the largest criticisms is that it is too derivative.

And that is why I think it is so amazing. Using the Star Trek reboot by the same director, JJ Abrams, you can see how many of his films act as a love letter to either earlier installments, or the genre as a whole. Star Trek reimagines the characters, while staying true to their underlying principles, and maintains the beautiful and grandiose feeling of the potential for human accomplishment. Super 8 is an amazing coming of age story, telling the difficulty of coping with trauma through various lenses. Hell, his first movie was Mission Impossible 3, which revolutionized spy films and made way for future movies like Ghost Protocol and Skyfall.

TFA did the same for star wars. It recaptured the zany, fantasy world that people had become so we'll acquainted to over the last decades, and showed us just what it could be with what we have learned since. Yes, the story was largely a retelling of the first film, and yes, it takes many leaps in logic in service of the story, but that's what makes it star wars.

Rogue one is better though.

the plot was garbage but I literally don't care.

The visual effects were basically a showroom for what we were capable of in the year 2008, resulting in a film more visually stunning than just about anything at the time, even holding up to what we have today. It helped normalize 3D as something more than a gimmick for kids' movies and amusement park attractions, allowing it to be the tool it is now for adding further immersion to cinematic experiences. The motion capture used in it was new technology at the time, and showed that it can be an entirely new avenue of acting, allowing later films like the recent Planet of the Apes trilogy, MCU, and even Star Wars.

This is paired with a wonderfully evocative score by James Horner, and inspired directing by Cameron himself. Performances from talents like Zoe Saldana and Sigourney Weaver, with years of worldbuilding and concept refinement made it into what it was. It's not a story, it's a two and a half hour long painting.

Archived