Name a movie, I'll give my thoughts on it if I've seen it

(GigaDrillBreaker)

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

old boy, the og one not the white washed devil remake

crazy good cinematography. I can't say much more because I watched it without subtitles as part of a kind of experiment with friends about how limiting our perception of movies affects our enjoyment of it. I made no attempt to follow the plot, and instead just watched it for the staging, lighting, set dressing, etcetera. I highly recommend this this to anyone in the thread who doesn't speak Korean, or to just do it with a movie that's muted.

I should really see it again.

The Incredibles 1 & 2.

The Incredibles is my favorite Pixar film. The Incredibles 2 is my second favorite Pixar film.

In a time before super hero movies were popularized to the public, Pixar was able to understand exactly what best resonated with audiences, and what Marvel Studios ended up later doing with the MCU. Rather than tell a story about a superhero, they tell a story about a person, and part of that story is that they are a superhero. It also played into classics of the drama, such as the villain being created by the hero's own hubris. The movie has so many moment of absolute glee, simultaneously telling stories of what it means to be heroic, and what it means to be family.

Honestly, Incredibles 2 is a bit recent for me to feel comfortable talking about at length, but the short version is that I really liked it. It visualized the advances in modeling between the two films without any stylistic changes (a feat that even toy story 3 had trouble with) and showed just how conventional directing can apply to animated films while taking advantage of the things that only an animated film could have done (just as the first did). Choreography with elastigirl showed a deep understanding of the internal logic of her powers and behavior, turning what only showed up a few times in the first (the infamous door scene being a great example) into a sizable chunk of the film. Watching Bob deal with, and learn to be, a stay at home Dad was a really wonderful thing that felt much more real than the emotional centers of most other animated films.

The Death Note Movie.

It's bad, but so is death note.

Willem Dafoe sure is great, though.

Employee of the Month (starring Dane Cook

I got a kick out of it, but it's nothing special by any means.

Amadeus

I really, really need to see this.

Simon Birch

Movie has field of dreams syndrome, in that it pretends to have a powerful emotional core, while really just reiterating things that everyone obviously believes.

This concept always bothers me, and is a major factor in my hatred for SAO (antagonist of the second arc is a rapist, because that's an easy way to make people hate him). Rather than attempt to put forward anything truly profound, they just make the sure grab for a safe bet. Like Vin Diesel mumbling about family.

Archived