[SHVA] Ninjitsu Art of Mirage-Transformation

SHVA-015.jpg

Ninjitsu Art of Mirage-Transformation / Continuous Trap
Tribute 1 “Ninja” monster, then target 1 monster in your opponent’s GY; Special Summon it to your field. It is also treated as a “Ninja” monster while this card is face-up on the field. When this card leaves the field, send that monster to the GY. You can only activate 1 “Ninjitsu Art of Mirage-Transformation” per turn.

Just be clear this is a one time thing right?, they ve errated call of the haunted and similar with "activate by insert action" to clarify that. I am surprised after all these years they forgot or simply dont care anymore

Does this card not do that ?

You have to tribute as a cost and pick the target on activation.

Or did you mean something else ?

I find the effect text confusing. It's indeed missing the "When this card is activated" clause and thus I would think you can use the effect every turn if you can and want to. But then comes the hard OPT clause, which applies on activation of the card but not the effect, and pretty sure those 2 things are different. As I read it, you cannot activate from face-down to face-up more than once per turn, but it's not stopping you from activating the effects of multiple copies of the card that are already face-up/active.

Does this card not do that ?

You have to tribute as a cost and pick the target on activation.

Or did you mean something else ?

For how Ninjutsu cards work it is pretty obvious to be a 1 time thing same call or fiendish chain, but those had their text updated to avoid any missinterpretation, my thoughs were on why konami decided not put the when this card is activated or activate by, many players could missinterpretate or on purpose use this multiple times

It should be common sense that a continuous trap's effect is a one-time unless otherwise stated. Why is this in question?

I disagree, and it's the other way around: Continuous Traps have a "repeatable effect" unless stated otherwise. Hence why cards like CotH, Fiendish Chain, and for a more recent examples, the Mekk-Knight/World Legacy Traps, have clauses such as "Activate this card by..." or "When this card is activated:" whereas repeatable effects like, let's say, Time Pendulumgraph's, do not.

Anyway, what I'm wondering is how this wording will affect the card, and if it may need a "emergency errata" like they did with Lose 1 Turn. I mean, I agree that it makes sense for this card's effect to be a 1-time use, but they way it was written makes it do something else, so either they leave it like that, or correct it. It would be cool if the let it activate repeatedly, though.

I disagree, and it's the other way around: Continuous Traps have a "repeatable effect" unless stated otherwise. Hence why cards like CotH, Fiendish Chain, and for a more recent examples, the Mekk-Knight/World Legacy Traps, have clauses such as "Activate this card by..." or "When this card is activated:" whereas repeatable effects like, let's say, Time Pendulumgraph's, do not.

Anyway, what I'm wondering is how this wording will affect the card, and if it may need a "emergency errata" like they did with Lose 1 Turn. I mean, I agree that it makes sense for this card's effect to be a 1-time use, but they way it was written makes it do something else, so either they leave it like that, or correct it. It would be cool if the let it activate repeatedly, though.

Problem is if your opponent has 3 different monsters in the grave you could generate an indefinite binary combination between switching between them and it could not be considered continuing the same play without changing the boardstate,given that it is, strictly speaking, not the same.

That aside I agree that Continuous Traps and Spells are repeatable unless stated otherwise (and it would be cool if it remains that way ... though you could loop soft once per turn effects on those targets (if there are 2 targets)).

Not quite how it works. The operation of a trap's function is pretty much just by common sense in how the wording is conducted, which is why you can see a lot of variations in how it operates. Often times the magic words are "You can" and timing given to specify when "you can" use the effect.

If a continuous trap gives a mandatory wording, such as this card above, and offers no timing or OPT, then your common sense should tell you that this is the effect that happens when the card is activated, not something that can be done infinitely as many times as you want whenever you want. Inference to the best explanation tells me, as I read this card, that no you can't just infinitely summon monsters and tribute those monsters summoned by this card to summon more monsters.

It might not "state otherwise", but common sense can let you figure this one out pretty easily.

Not quite how it works. The operation of a trap's function is pretty much just by common sense in how the wording is conducted, which is why you can see a lot of variations in how it operates. Often times the magic words are "You can" and timing given to specify when "you can" use the effect.

If a continuous trap gives a mandatory wording, such as this card above, and offers no timing or OPT, then your common sense should tell you that this is the effect that happens when the card is activated, not something that can be done infinitely as many times as you want whenever you want. Inference to the best explanation tells me, as I read this card, that no you can't just infinitely summon monsters and tribute those monsters summoned by this card to summon more monsters.

It might not "state otherwise", but common sense can let you figure this one out pretty easily.

Oh, thought you meant Continuous Traps on general, not this one in particular.

I agree. With common sense one can infer that this card's effect should be 1-time use only, but the way it was printed, it is not. Note that it does have an OPT at the end, and adding to the confusion, it's on the card's activation, not the effect itself.

Archived