Welcome to Yugioh Card Maker Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Vernal Ventures [Interest Check/PG-16]

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

Draggo

Draggo

rawr

• Senior Members
  • 7,657 posts
    Last Visit
  • Alias:doggy

gLDSn0E.png

Interest Check Information

RP Rules

Extended Premise

App Skeleton

App Guidelines

The Helio Guild

HN9m1FU.jpg

Y'shtola

Y'shtola

Though time be against us, hope shall ever be on our side.

• Elite Members
  • 2,322 posts
    Last Visit 19 minutes ago
  • Alias:Sethera

I find this pretty amusing because I was actually debating between starting up a PMD RP or starting something else (I went with the something else). I'm glad I did though, because this looks like it could be cool. Sheesh, I wasn't going to be joining any more RPs, but this is actually seriously tempting me.

As for the quiz, you could do what Super did, and implement a quiz, and then allow us to choose whether we want to go with that specific Pokemon or choose something else. For example, I'd probably want to take the quiz, but I'm not so sure I'd like to be locked into the choice if it's a Pokemon I don't particularly care for (like Cryogonal).

Personally, for chats, I prefer Discord. Barely go on Skype anymore except to catch up on RP chats.

I will say that I'm interested in how you handle the mechanics or lack thereof since PMD has entirely different ones compared to the main games, and it's very much a turn-based game. Turns affect everything from HP recovery in dungeons to hunger, so if you implement mechanics, then it could get very complicated, or at least just a lot to keep track of. I do like maps though, so if you want to use them, I'd be all for that.

So yeah, posting pending interest.

God Emperor Cow

God Emperor Cow

Neopolitan

• Moderators
  • 11,212 posts
    Last Visit 2 minutes ago
  • Alias:Lord CowCow
  • Spouse:Shiki/Aix

Dammit I thought I'd be first but then of COURSE Sethera swoops in out of nowhere...

Also I don't mind the quiz but I imagine others will and don't care either way of discord or skype seems that my discord ban I gave myself was forcibly lifted so >.>

8PBUpdp.gif

Niko

Niko

On Little Cat Feet

• Yatagarasu

• 67 posts
    Last Visit

Noting my own interest right now!

As far as the questions go...

1.) The second is definitely the easier option, though you can certainly try to set up a quiz of sorts if you really wanted to do that. Whether it's worth the effort ultimately is... Kinda iffy, to be honest. If the goal is to have players answer the questions with the sort of thing their character would say, then it seems a bit rough cause most characters would be designed with a particular outcome in mind in the first place, or it might make things a little... Iffy if someone just gets something they aren't super invested in.

Either one works ultimately, and I kinda like the idea of having the quiz as an option but being able to veto it if it ultimately doesn't sit well, Super Mystery Dungeon indeed introduced that and it was a nice touch.

2.) I think most people have moved to using Discord for RP stuff, but there might be a few who haven't yet? I dunno, the ease of having multiple channels makes it easier to sort RP stuff, so I kinda lean towards that myself. Channels for RP discussion, some for off topic stuff if rambling happens, it's cleaner than one big mess on Skype.

3.) Depending on how players get split up, Dungeon Maps and stuff could definitely be a good idea. If everyone goes as one group, and it's one HUGE dungeon instead of a bunch of separate floors, or if characters are split into smaller groups with smaller dungeons, either way a dungeon map could help keep players from misinterpreting the layouts of places.

Mechanics-wise, I'm interested with either a more turn based or free flowing type of battle system. Both have their upsides and downsides, turn based are more orderly but tend to move a lot slower, while free flowing are more active and tend to retain interest easier, but it's definitely harder to keep them organized at times.

KaydenNorth.gif

Hakima

Hakima

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • 292 posts
    Last Visit Today, 01:07 AM

DAMN IT

ONE DAY ONIX

ONE DAY

(he is my favorite Pokemon and I never get to use him ;_;)

Accurate Mental Image
Danger Is My Middle Name

Mr. Hyde

Mr. Hyde

Dressed up Dragon

• Hero
  • 6,380 posts
    Last Visit Yesterday, 09:18 PM
  • Alias:Hydreigon

1.)  Lemme choose dagomit.

2.)  Discord.  It's growing on me.

3.)  Play Typically.  I don't trust y'all to post in sequence, and press A to just bop someone. 

Also, I'm in.  

Posted Image

The Past is a Cyber Dino

Hakima

Hakima

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • 292 posts

Oh should say I'm probably interested (also Discord).

Accurate Mental Image
Danger Is My Middle Name

Wind Rider

Wind Rider

Spooky Member

• Advanced Members
  • 714 posts
    Last Visit 34 minutes ago
Interested, I'm fine with either skype or discord. I was never much of a fan of the personality quiz though, I'd feel better picking a standard, unevolved pokemon instead of being locked to a particular one.

Draggo

Draggo

rawr

• Topic Starter
  • Senior Members
  • 7,657 posts
    Last Visit

Thanks to everyone for expressing interest and giving opinions on the matters I presented to you. It helps a lot to know what the would be players prefer on the whole. Given the number of interested parties thus far, I will be proceeding with plans to make this into a proper OOC over the next few days.

As for the things I asked about, here are my current plans of action based on what's been said:

1.) I will be leaving what Pokemon everyone plays up to them. As i mentioned in the first post I would advise against incredibly large or already evolved Pokemon if your choice has evolutions. However, I don't want you all to feel restricted so if you have a good enough idea for a bigger pokemon or an already evolved one I wouldn't toss it out immediately. As the OOC comes into place and work begins on apps we can discuss things in more specifics.

2.) I'll be making a discord server for this. Once the OOC is ready I'll send everyone who has expressed interest in the thread a pm here on YCM with a link.

3.) This last one is less concrete but I do think we'll be playing things out a bit more traditionally but I will be making maps of places and things and trying to give explorations something of the mystery dungeon feel. As for other game mechanics being incorporated in some way, that will require more planning out of the plot/setting/premise on my end to determine how that'll go.

As for any others who may still be interested, please do offer your opinions as well as every voice counts.

Thanks again, moving forward's going to be exciting!

HN9m1FU.jpg

radio414

radio414

Utterly Forgettable

• Advanced Members
  • 925 posts
    Last Visit 42 minutes ago
  • Spouse:ur mom

Sure, I'm interested. Definitely would rather Discord than Skype (though it looks like you've decided that already).

Wind Rider

Wind Rider

Spooky Member

• Advanced Members
  • 714 posts
    Last Visit 34 minutes ago
I'm assuming you'll be using every generation of pokemon in this, and if so, what's your opinion on alolan forms?

Draggo

Draggo

rawr

• Topic Starter
  • Senior Members
  • 7,657 posts
    Last Visit

Sound assumption, all generations are on the table for characters and npcs.

As for the question of alolan forms I'm definitely fine with them being used. I don't think every alolan form will be from one part of the world here. Rather they'll look different depending on the location they're from. Like sandshrew in the desert look normal while some that live in the tundra would be the alolan. Once I've done the world building and have something of a semi-functional map it'll be easier to say where each alolan form might have originated.

Long story boring: every gen's in on this, alolans are fine just won't be called alolan forms in universe.

HN9m1FU.jpg

Hakima

Hakima

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • 292 posts

Disclaimer: would be really interested in trying to play an Onix, if we could discuss that. I'm willing to do something else but wanna try at least.

Accurate Mental Image
Danger Is My Middle Name

Draggo

Draggo

rawr

• Topic Starter
  • Senior Members
  • 7,657 posts
    Last Visit

Howdy folks. I've updated the opening post with some of the OOC content. However I've yet to finish everything so as of yet I haven't changed this from an interest check to a proper OOC.

What I have added is as follows:

-Updated subtitle and logo
-the rules
-app guidelines and skeleton
-names of the main guild and hub town but no other information

I still have to add more information on the premise and how the beginning of the rp will play out and then get a lot of information on the guild and town together. But for now you all can begin work on your characters. I'll ask for the time being that you refrain from posting them, WIP or otherwise, until I've finished the process of turning this into an official OOC thread. As always, I'm open for questions. The discord server isn't ready yet either so that'll be up and running when the finalized OOC is. That'll greatly accommodate the discussion of things for characters and such. Your continued patience is appreciated!

Oh and Hakima I just wanted to address that I have seen your desires and am more than willing to make an onix character work so when more stuff's ready we can definitely talk that out.

HN9m1FU.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users