Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Vernal Ventures [OOC/PG-16/Started/Not Accepting]

Andx

@@Arkars
[spoiler=Alder]
So first of all, it is a bit difficult for me as a host when I see a member that hasn't RP'd here on YCM before because I have no basis for how you do in them. But I don't want that to dissuade me from giving you your first shot here.

The bigger issue is that I am a touch concerned with how skittish the character seems to be. Like it'd be great to see them grow into a bit of confidence but it feels almost unrealistic of them to begin the adventuring/guild life style in the first place. I'm not necessarily calling for app changes here but more I need help seeing how this character would work up the courage to take the initiative on this. Additionally and in line with this main concern, I'm a bit hesitant to give you camouflage if the intent is simply to hide with it. The move itself changes type based on the surroundings so I can see what you're going for but it feels like a bit of a stretch.

Less related directly to your app, we do have a discord server for discussing things in person which is faster and easier than communicating over the forum on everything. If you'd like to join you can pm me for an invite link. If you don't have a discord or would prefer not to use one we can still communicate either here in the thread or over PM but it will be a bit more awkward to talk with your fellow RPers.

App Status: not accepted as of yet
Action Needed:
-some discussion with me to either establish how this character would function in the setting or else what changes might be in order
-your position on joining or not joining the discord server

@@Hakima
[spoiler=Jeremy]
Another one of them journeys. Sad to see Onix didn't make it along for the ride but we have a lovely Dratini

The bios are both very well done. As with the others if you'd like Delibird to appear in the rp proper we can always talk about plans for him.

Another case of almost too scared to function but you did suggest some things that show me how he might get over it with the fixation on others that interest him and such.

Everything else seems fine. I notice you dont have a Z move described yet so whenever you want to come up with one just tell me you did as much and you're more than likely good to go.

App Status: Accepted

Now as for the rest of you, I hope to have the IC thread up tonight though it may take until morning tomorrow. My apologies again for the slightly labored start to things. Any apps that haven't yet been accepted or posted may still be posted and perhaps accepted up to a week into the RP's start. After a week I'll still accept and look over apps but may have to have you wait for a more sensible place to enter the story. Also we're getting pretty close as it is to the max amount of people I'd feel comfortable hosting for so despite my claims of open acceptance, I may well have to place a limit at some point for my own sake. Thank you all for understanding.

[spoiler=Runnin' in the 20's]Name: Corbin
Species: Doduo
Appearance:
doduo-logo-DE61B99F18-seeklogo.com.png
Just your regular boring old Doduo. Don't remind him about that, though.

[spoiler=Personality:]Those who know this Doduo have a hard time describing him. You might hear words like "exciting", "exuberant, "energetic", and a few other adjectives that don't start with e. "He speaks his mind" is a phrase that also crops up a lot, which is perhaps the most accurate term and the most latched onto one by these describers. When you begin to talk to him yourself, the conversation will very often start off friendly and normal enough, and you might even begin to warm to his over-the-top nature. Complications may tend to arise, however, when a third voice adds itself to the mix.

The main issue is that, unsurprisingly, Corbin tends to be in two minds rather a lot. Despite both heads acting reasonably similar, there is no denying that his left side tends to be more angsty than his right. This isn't because the heads are two separate entities, as both consider themselves to be the same person, but more that each tends to voice a different aspect of his personality. His right head is the conversationalist, almost always with a smile as it makes bold claims and brightly says anything rash that comes to mind, and thus making the biggest impression to people Corbin meets. This rashness extends to both heads, although as is stereotypical for this sort of scenario, the left one is the more dull and rational, second-guessing most of what the right and Corbin does as a whole, and as these comments tend to be a bit out loud, it can be a bit weird for an observer hearing both heads use the first-person to describe each other.

At the core of all this strange behavious is one main motivator: No matter what he's doing, he consistently strives towards the best he can be, which quite often leads him to be very competitive when other people, or pokemon, are involved. Even if it's something he knows he struggles at, he doesn't back down, ESPECIALLY if he's worried that others might see him fail. He has a tendency to take in other's comments as his own self-critique, and as such as very vulnerable to others opinions.

Despite this, Corbin can be confident when around others he feels like him, and is very eager to return the favour of friendliness whenever the opportunity arises. Even with his competitive nature, he enjoys group activities, especially getting out and about as his sportsy nature remains.

[spoiler=Pokemon Biography:]When Corbin first awoke in the Thicket Forest, his confusion was intertwined with an inexplicable excitement. Although he had no idea really who he was and only vague memories of what he had left behind, he knew that something was different. This, enhanced by his core memory, struggled with the rational side of him, his eagerness to stand out with the realization that he had absolutely no idea what to do. Trying to distract himself from this internal struggle by simply running around the forest and trying to find anybody else, it was only when a passing Treecko stumbled upon him a few hours later that Corbin realized that his internal struggle had actually been rather external, courtesy of the extra head.

It's only been a month since that initial encounter, and since then Corbin has done a little bit of investigating into what on earth happened to him and these other suddenly appearing Pokemon. However, he's been mostly trying to settle into Thicket Town and make a name for himself, as while Corbin's initial excitement had been further lowered by the realization that he wasn't the only "different" one in this new world, this in turn was overshadowed by a new feeling.

Him moving beyond his Core Memory.

[spoiler=Human Biography:]One would think that the son of two moderately famous theatre artists would at least have a modicum of natural acting talent, but life so often enjoys defying expectations, and so these two actors were landed with someone who never seemed to live up to their expectations. Of course, that was not to say he was a disappointment to them, as he did reasonably well in school and actually excelled in sports, but with their lives so intertwined with their careers, it was hard to deny they had been hoping for one to join them on the big stage and remain united as a true family.

At least, this was what Corbin felt was they way things were, and as such always struggled to overcome. This desire to prove himself carried over to his daily life, making it difficult for him to make friends when he was both consistently trying to shine brighter than them while wanting to get to know them. Not a great combination. This was by no means helped by the fact that his parents were always moving to follow their careers, leaping from stage to stage. He's had almost as many schools as birthdays, and it was all he could hope for the inevitable annual to be in between school years rather than in the middle of a term. Even the Hoenn region was abandoned shortly before he disappeared, with his forced relocations feeling more like a routine than anything else. Without properly getting to see other people's lives, he just assumed this was going to be the way things always were, and so he had to make the best of it.

[spoiler=Core Memory:]No matter where Corbin had been or who he had met, he had never felt he belonged. His parents weren't around often, and with the always shifting world and faces around him, there was never anything to latch onto. Wherever he was dragged off to, the brief hope that he would be able to settle down was consistently overshadowed by the return of his internal alienation.

Even though he feels more at home among these Pokemon than he ever did in his past life, the nagging memory of what it was like refuses to go away, and both drives him and drags him down.

Moves: Double Team, Double Hit, Quick Attack, Peck
Z-Move: Breakneck Blitz
Ability: Run Away

Two ideas kind of worked into one (fitting, huh :P). Hope it's not a jumbled mess.

Well I like Corbin a lot. The two heads expressing different emotions is bound to be fun though I worry for when the third head comes along, poor kid.

Bios, moves and such all seem to be in order. Not much to say past good job and Corbin's accepted.

And for everyone, the IC thread is now up! Feel free to post.

I'm here to say that I am highly interested. I have a.. slightly more detailed character app, but I will also include the important parts from your skeleton. As for the questions:

1. I would prefer to choose my Pokemon lol.

2. Discord, since im actually pretty active there.

3. I would say role play typically. That would be our best bet.

[spoiler=Kassius Flame Beaker]

Full Name: Kassius Flame Beaker

Nicknames/Titles: Kassi

Alignment: Neutral

Race/Homeland: Magby; Thicket Town

Class: Ranger

Character Appearance: (will be shown in a pic)

Hair: Red

Skin: Yellow

Eyes: Amber Yellow

Height: 2'3"

Weight: 47 lbs.

Markings (Scars, Tattoo's etc): A slash on his beak.

Physical Features: Wears a bracelet with a weird gem on it.

Personality: Carefree, Confident, Passionate

Social Level: Hard Worker

Favorite Foods: Liechi berries

Favorite Drinks: Lava

Favorite Colors: Red, Yellow, Orange, Blue

Dislikes: Sitting Still, Things that require a lot of thought

Hobbies: Playing with his fire, sparring

General Character Info:

Core Memory: He remembers that he had a Pokèmon companion, a Magby named Kassius.

Relationship Status: Single

Place of Birth: Thicket Town

Character Abilities: Flame Body

Moves:

Flamethrower Smog

Smokescreen Uproar

Psychic Mud-Slap

History/Background

Parents: Unknown

Pokemon

Bio: His egg was abandoned shortly after being laid, becuz his father had been assumed to be dead, and his mother didn't want an egg that would constantly remind her of it's father. So it was left in Thicket Town. When he hatched, he learned the hard way that life is tough. Tho, he wasn't alone. An old Drampa in the outskirts of the town raised him for a while before passing away. Afterwards however, he left, and took on his own journey, setting out to join The Helio Guild. His main goal, is to be the strongest he can be.

Human Bio: There once was a girl, named Evelyn, who was a Pokèmon trainer. Her first Pokemon partner was a Magby, whom she named Kassius, or Kassi for short. She set out on her journey, like any normal trainer would. But there was one difference. She was gullible. She ran into an evil team, under the name of Team Azoth. They were obsessed with concept of Pokemon having souls similar to humans. They tricked poor little Evelyn into fusing with Kassius, to see if a human soul could be merged with a Pokèmon soul. When they realized what they had done, they were thrilled, but terrified at the monstrosity at the same time. Not wanting the world to know what they had done, they called upon the powers of Hoopa, and sent the Kassius/Evelyn hybrid to another dimension. However, there was an accident within the travel. The hybrid completely merged itself, to one being instead of two, and reverted to an egg. This egg, was put into the responsibility of a young Magmar mother, who abandoned the egg. When it hatched, the new form of Kassius emerged, and that is where our story begins.

I'm here to say that I am highly interested. I have a.. slightly more detailed character app, but I will also include the important parts from your skeleton. As for the questions:

1. I would prefer to choose my Pokemon lol.

2. Discord, since im actually pretty active there.

3. I would say role play typically. That would be our best bet.

[spoiler=Kassius Flame Beaker]

Full Name: Kassius Flame Beaker

Nicknames/Titles: Kassi

Alignment: Neutral

Race/Homeland: Magby; Thicket Town

Class: Ranger

Character Appearance: (will be shown in a pic)

Hair: Red

Skin: Yellow

Eyes: Amber Yellow

Height: 2'3"

Weight: 47 lbs.

Markings (Scars, Tattoo's etc): A slash on his beak.

Physical Features: Wears a bracelet with a weird gem on it.

Personality: Carefree, Confident, Passionate

Social Level: Hard Worker

Favorite Foods: Liechi berries

Favorite Drinks: Lava

Favorite Colors: Red, Yellow, Orange, Blue

Dislikes: Sitting Still, Things that require a lot of thought

Hobbies: Playing with his fire, sparring

General Character Info:

Core Memory: He remembers that he had a Pokèmon companion, a Magby named Kassius.

Relationship Status: Single

Place of Birth: Thicket Town

Character Abilities: Flame Body

Moves:

Flamethrower Smog

Smokescreen Uproar

Psychic Mud-Slap

History/Background

Parents: Unknown

Pokemon

Bio: His egg was abandoned shortly after being laid, becuz his father had been assumed to be dead, and his mother didn't want an egg that would constantly remind her of it's father. So it was left in Thicket Town. When he hatched, he learned the hard way that life is tough. Tho, he wasn't alone. An old Drampa in the outskirts of the town raised him for a while before passing away. Afterwards however, he left, and took on his own journey, setting out to join The Helio Guild. His main goal, is to be the strongest he can be.

Human Bio: There once was a girl, named Evelyn, who was a Pokèmon trainer. Her first Pokemon partner was a Magby, whom she named Kassius, or Kassi for short. She set out on her journey, like any normal trainer would. But there was one difference. She was gullible. She ran into an evil team, under the name of Team Azoth. They were obsessed with concept of Pokemon having souls similar to humans. They tricked poor little Evelyn into fusing with Kassius, to see if a human soul could be merged with a Pokèmon soul. When they realized what they had done, they were thrilled, but terrified at the monstrosity at the same time. Not wanting the world to know what they had done, they called upon the powers of Hoopa, and sent the Kassius/Evelyn hybrid to another dimension. However, there was an accident within the travel. The hybrid completely merged itself, to one being instead of two, and reverted to an egg. This egg, was put into the responsibility of a young Magmar mother, who abandoned the egg. When it hatched, the new form of Kassius emerged, and that is where our story begins.

I'm going to let Andx handle the app itself but I want to say, as Moderator of this here section;

dnpHh0Z.gif

NEVER use this kind of terminology in an app again.

I wasn't meaning as a derogatory term. I was being serious when I said it. His sex is female, but he prefers male pronouns. This is a result of the fusion experiment that happened to him. His female trainer's sex carried over rather than his, and his mind/identity carried over rather than hers. Again, I wasn't trying to be offensive or even make a joke, I was literally using a term the way it was made to be used. Tho, if it that big of a problem, I can fix it.

I wasn't meaning as a derogatory term. I was being serious when I said it. His sex is female, but he prefers male pronouns. This is a result of the fusion experiment that happened to him. His female trainer's sex carried over rather than his, and his mind/identity carried over rather than hers. Again, I wasn't trying to be offensive or even make a joke, I was literally using a term the way it was made to be used. Tho, if it that big of a problem, I can fix it.

No, you're using a slang term which is usually meant to be derogatory.

Maybe I wasn't clear. Maybe the gif use made it seem too whimsical.

I'll be perfectly clear.

Don't do that again or you'll be punished.

Identifying a trans male character as just that, trans male, seems like the logical thing to do when it comes to that.

Anyway cow's done his moderating duties but it's time for my host duties.

Let me start by saying that while I'm not upset you deviated from the app I laid out, the fact is I did lay out an app with guidelines I expected to be met. Guidelines that this app doesn't meet. Personality is the most clear example where I asked for two paragraphs but received three words and a list of likes and dislikes.

Now granted this alone wouldn't be grounds to not accept the app as I could simply ask you to write out a bit about the personality and be okay. But there are two other factors at play which I intend to explain in hopes you understand my predicament.

The first lies within the app itself. The biographies and means by which the character came to the pokemon world are defined in a way that creates lore for my world and story that I myself didn't make. And as a host it feels very strange indeed to have this sort of thing happen with an application. It's enough that i wonder if you really read or understood the premise and ideas as I presented them here in the OOC thread. It would perhaps be fair to say that as the means by which humans come to be pokemon are unknown, that creating your own story for it that the character can't remember as it is wouldn't hurt anything. But if you're familiar with the Mystery Dungeon games, the means by which the human-turned-pokemon came to the pokemon world is always an important plot point that gets explored. It's something I as the host of this RP have had to think about and plan out. And it is not something that is going to be different for each character. So to facilitate a unique backstory containing plot elements that conflict with my ideas for the story that wasn't discussed with me prior to seeing the application, well it's not something I'm very keen on doing.

The other issue is external to you but I feel is important as well for making my decision on the matter. As it stands I've already accepted nine apps, all a different person. The IC has just started and I don't know what to expect of the group I've got. It's already a fair bit bigger than I intended at the start and I don't feel particularly confident in hosting for too many more people. This is in part my fault for had I changed the status of the RP's threads to not accepting we likely wouldn't be having this conversation. It's a thing I've been thinking over, that is whether or not to cut off acceptance for a time to see if I can handle what I've already got.

Naturally this hesitation I have about expanding the cast farther shouldn't be enough to outright dismiss an otherwise good app. But I hope you can see that with this hesitation I'm less inclined to work through the process of changing an app with someone that was struggling to meet guidelines and introduced ideas that conflict with my idea of the world of the RP.

All things considered my final decision is to deny the app.

And for that matter I will be closing off acceptance to the rp until such a time as I feel comfortable with how things are running and feel more players wouldn't impact my abilities to effectively host.

I see. Well that's a bummer. I understand what u were saying tho, and I apologize for the personality thing. I must not have seen the part where it said somn about paragraphs there. As for the bio thing, I also understand. This was really my first attempt at a PMD RP, and I may have gotten a little carried away with my character. Thank u for your time tho, and I wish u and all the other participants well on your adventures ^-^

Sorry to intrude, but from what I gathered is that you're still accepting apps, but any accepted characters would need to be gracefully segued into the story where appropriate. Do I have that right?

If you are accepting, I will be submitting something, as I have an interesting idea for a character that might be a bit of a mold breaker (not the ability).

Unfortunately, as per my last post here and as indicated in the titles of both the IC and OOC threads I am not accepting at the moment. As it stands I have a large group and wish to see that I can run what I have efficiently before shaking things up with additional players.

If the first post of this thread misled you due to my not having updated it yet I apologize.

Sorry to say that due to how things played out I'm not in a position where I want to add to the cast at the moment. Your app will be among the first considerations if acceptance opens again in the future but I can't give a definite time frame for when that might occur.

• 1 month later...

In line with my announcement in the Discord server, tomorrow I'm moving things along finally and also purging highly inactive participants unless given good reason to believe things will be different in the coming weeks. This is largely to keep the OOC from disappearing but also to be sure that between here or Discord, everyone sees the message. So talk to me on discord dudes and we'll get life sorted.

Unless the nine people I started with drop to four or fewer I don't see myself opening acceptance to replace any of the players we lose in this process. I don't foresee losing that many here but just as a general note to myself and other interested parties that I do intend to stick to my original ideas on cast size and if down the line we should shrink that far then I will consider allowing new characters entrance.

Archived