Ojama Link Monsters

RtHonJohnMajor

Link Monsters are, by far, my favourite type of Extra Deck monster, so the announcement of the second Link Vrains pack got me thinking about what archetypes could be getting support, and in what way.

[spoiler=Ojama Lime]

acob8Wl.jpg

3 “Ojama” monsters
Monsters cannot be Summoned to Monster Zones this card points to, except “Ojama” monsters. Your opponent cannot use an “Ojama” monster as a Link Material. Once per turn: You can Fusion Summon 1 “Ojama” Fusion Monster from your Extra Deck, by banishing Fusion Materials listed on it from your hand, field or GY.

The gimmick is; you summon this with the Ojama Trio, then you use its effect to summon Ojama King to lock down the Main Monster Zones you aren't already blocking, assuming you've summoned this in the Extra Monster Zone. You can summon it in the Main Monster Zone and do the inverse, prevent your opponent from summoning to the Extra Monster Zone, but I don't know if that's broken or not. This was the first card I made when testing out the gorgeous new Photoshop Link Template I downloaded, so I didn't have the Link Ratings of the next two monsters in-mind when making the summoning requirements for this card. In the future, I might edit it to say '2+ "Ojama" monsters'.

[spoiler=Ojama Indigo]
HxBW8kP.jpg

2 “Ojama” monsters
Linked “Ojama” monsters you control cannot be targeted or destroyed by your opponent’s card effects. Once per turn: You can discard 1 “Ojama” card, then target 1 Spell/Trap on the field; destroy it.

[spoiler=Ojama Grey]

ZwRFEtm.jpg

2 “Ojama” monsters
Linked “Ojama” monsters you control cannot be destroyed by battle. Once per turn: You can discard 1 “Ojama” card, then target 1 monster on the field; destroy it.

I was thinking about making the effects a HOPT but I don't think it would be broken if you could resolve these effects off more than once a turn, especially if you want to use the gimmick of locking down your opponent's zones. You can't lock them down if they already have monsters there, so using Grey more than once a turn might be essential.

they generally fine, except for Lime's zone lock. still prone to non-target non-destruction removal and being low-stat link mean you will take damage exponentialy while maintaining them. their removal is pretty slow but is better having it than not

i think you miss the opportunity to make these work with both Armed Dragon and the Alphabet Union archetype/series like later support (especially with Lime summon restrictions) for tied in with character that use all 3 of them in the show

If you really want to make Ojamas worthwhile, then don't randomly make them support Armed Dragons and the VWXYZ series too. Konami doing that in DP20 was just for fanservice to Chazz and really doesn't give them a defined strategy. Granted, some of said support does give Ojamas some individualized support on its own, but it's better if you just keep them focused on what they need to be doing.

Indigo and Gray are generally fine for what they do, albeit the Link Arrows do require that either you have Linked Zones or you revive them somehow to offset MR4. Not exactly great, given stats and whatnot, but it's something (and suppose you do get to trigger stuff for whatever it's worth). 

Lime is somewhat okay, I guess, but outside Trio and whatever, that's it. The Fusion Summon thing is generally fine, albeit mostly for Knight because he has generic mats for Ojamas as opposed to King needing the vanillas. Least you do have retrieval for them via Pajama to summon whatever you banished, so fine. Problem is getting out 3 Ojamas and trying to use them to summon THIS over a generic Link 3 as this doesn't benefit off Country. (IDK, I suppose you could raise its ATK a bit to make it somewhat better)

So, if you have both indigo and grey,wouldn't that make you invincible? You can also kill off monsters with grey. Sounds a bit broken. Seeing how the summoning requirements aren't too bad. Ojama Lime was good though.

Barring getting Kaiju'd (opponent Tributes your stuff and force summons a monster on your field) or get non-target removed [which does exist], plus still taking damage, you do have some degree of invulnerability with those two, IF you can summon both at once and get them linked somewhere.

Destroying a monster isn't necessarily broken if there's a reasonable cost (and yes, this thing still targets, which a lot of bosses have some degree of immunity to). If we were talking about it banishing face-down or something / not targeting, then we would have problems. But we don't have this issue. 

So yeah, addressing the point of you thinking about making them hard OPT; no, you can keep them as soft OPT as they are. 

So cards like Lava Golem and Mirror Force will work. When I said broken, i meant the partial invulnerability alongside card destruction. Thanks for clearing that up Sakura.

Mirror Force won't because it still destroys and Indigo prevents destruction removal even if it does not target. 

Lava Golem will still work as neither of the Link 2s protect stuff from being Tributed by the opponent. Or in actuality, only a handful of monsters have Tributing protection to deal with Kaiju (they're the most common, but Lava Golem / Volcanic Queen do fall in this category), Monarchs Stormforth, etc.

Oh right, and they're still vulnerable to getting Super Poly'd for stuff or whatever, but as said card is banned in TCG, we don't talk about it. 

If you really want to make Ojamas worthwhile, then don't randomly make them support Armed Dragons and the VWXYZ series too. Konami doing that in DP20 was just for fanservice to Chazz and really doesn't give them a defined strategy. Granted, some of said support does give Ojamas some individualized support on its own, but it's better if you just keep them focused on what they need to be doing.

while im not entirely disagree with you about making them pure but DP20 happens and its fitting. Plus, there the other half of the argument that Yugioh is being way too Singular Archetypes (outside some abusable splashable piece that is) so i think its okay for Ojama, Armed Dragon, and Alphabet Union to follow similiar route as the infamous H.A.T IMO

One more thing: when i said it can support Alphabet Union. Make it support VWXYZ not the ABC part of it

Archived