[THR] vanity

Thar

Contest entry:

aLmTnoe.png

[spoiler=V2]

Ku7h1kU.png

Thought I'd try something new again. Despite how much less user-friendly GIMP is with the light trail effect, I decided to give it a shot anyway.

One thing's for sure, my self-esteem has definitely gotten better considering I'd use myself as the render :D

cnc, I know it didn't turn out great but I'd like to know how it could've been executed better

oh sheet, I didnt even recognize that as you haha

But your bluff cnc pretty much nailed it lol, the contrast is the main thing here, which definitely improves in V2, but you can tell by like the sharpness of the bubble c4d and the amount of super bright lights vs the opposingly empty dark areas, that there's too much of a brightness difference there. So definitely play with the curves a bit, maybe tone done any adjustments a bit as 25 said. A light grey gmap might help, but you can get that washed out look, or  wonky colors, which isnt always best.

Cool idea though, I see where you were going with it, just a tough one to execute imo

oh sheet, I didnt even recognize that as you haha

mhm, hopefully I fit in with the showcase peeps considering you guys set a pretty high standard lol

But your bluff cnc pretty much nailed it lol, the contrast is the main thing here, which definitely improves in V2, but you can tell by like the sharpness of the bubble c4d and the amount of super bright lights vs the opposingly empty dark areas, that there's too much of a brightness difference there. So definitely play with the curves a bit, maybe tone done any adjustments a bit as 25 said. A light grey gmap might help, but you can get that washed out look, or  wonky colors, which isnt always best.

Cool idea though, I see where you were going with it, just a tough one to execute imo

Yeah, I was not expecting it to turn out so contrasted. It didn't look that way when I submitted it, so when I saw it on display for the contest I thought it was tampered with or something. However I doubt Tormey would do that, so I think it was just my eyes being worn out from looking at a screen too long while I was making it. Really caught me off guard, but it was already too late by the time I realized it.

Oh well. Next time I won't be so hasty. I tend to do that a lot. Thanks for the feedback, though. Pretty stoked to see what you make for future events.

v2 is better. Liked this one quite a bit. The light trail is cool, but I'm not a fan of the circular light effect around the trail. The circular effect being perfect circles makes the effect feel very artificial. More variation in the shapes and light intensity would help it feel more natural. You could also add additional detail to the piece and increase depth by incorporating effect/bubble c4ds or fractals in the foreground and by adding some textures in the background so it's not a solid color. 

Archived