Vylina the Battle Mage

Spvzf5U.png

3+ effect monsters, including at least 1 Spellcaster-Type non-fusion non-synchro non-xyz non-link monster
If this card is in the GY or banished zone: you can tribute 2 monsters you control; special summon it. You can only use the following effect of "Vylina the Battle Mage" once per turn. If this card is special summoned: you can draw 1 card and if you do, you can reveal that card to apply 1 of these effects based on its type. ●Monster: this card gains 800 ATK this turn and can make a second attack during each Battle Phase this turn. ●Spell: banish 1 monster from your GY face-down and if you do, add it to your hand during the next Standby Phase. ●Trap: choose up to 2 cards your opponent controls, destroy them and if any of the chosen card(s) are not destroyed this way, negate those card's effects.

The intent was to give decks that can meet her summoning requirements a link 4 ace monster. "Spellcaster-Type non-fusion non-synchro non-xyz non-link monster" was to restrict which decks can use her outside of say, needlefiber into night's end sorcerer or something.

My main concern is if this card needs a buff to be a viable choice in the link 4 pool

That restriction looks awkward. There should be a shorter alternative. Maybe something like "not Summoned from the Extra Deck"? Although then you would be able to use a revived ED Spellcaster from the GY.

Some text fixes, but not sure on some things since I'm taking the Moss Neo Spacian but they don't have updated PSCT.

While this card is in your GY or banished: You can Tribute 2 monsters; Special Summon this card. You can only use the following effect of "Vylina the Battle Mage" once per turn. If this card is Special Summoned: You can draw 1 card, and if you do, you can reveal that card, and based on its type, apply the proper effect ●Monster: This card gains 800 ATK this turn , also it can make a second attack during each Battle Phase this turn. ●Spell: Banish 1 monster from your GY face-down and if you do, add it to your hand during the next Standby Phase. ●Trap: Choose up to 2 cards your opponent controls, destroy them then, if this effect did not destroy 2 cards, negate those card's effects.

Fixes aside, my only concern is the lack of OPT on the self-revival effect because it could enable some crazy loops somehow (e.g. Tribute floaters) although if that's the case, it wouldn't be this card's fault. Other than that, it looks good to me. It rewards you right away with a draw, and it gets better after that. The Trap effect is the strongest, but also Traps are the least played in decks, with a few exceptions every now and then like Altergeists, but still, that more or less balances it out nicely. The monster effect may not net extra pluses like the other effects do, but that +800 ATK and x2 attack could very well lead to OTKs, so it's good.

Archived