A Disgrace to the Name of the Lord

Dad

http://www.africanews.com/2018/08/18/uganda-arrests-us-citizen-who-assaulted-hotel-worker-for-disgracing-jesus//

"In the video, Taylor kept trying to aggravate Francis, and also turned on a man in a blue shirt who attempted to intervene, telling him; 
““NO! NO! You obey what I say. I don’t obey you. Open my f****** room now! You b**** Look at me! Look at Christ who died for you,” the American says."

#Christianity'sFinest

he did not know de way

You would think that - despite one's ability to act properly (or lack thereof; who knows what Mr. Taylor here was up to on our end of the sea?) - one could at least act proper when visiting other nations. Even if it's just to check out another country, any visitor to another country - yes, even tourists - represent the country they've come from. In this particular case, our pastor also represents his church, and has done a great job of making both of them look bad in one fell swoop, racist or not .

"Look at Christ who died for you"

This statement is especially interesting to me. Does he mean to imply he represents Jesus? That's stupid at best, considering his behavior. I'm not one for religion, but even I know that this isn't quite how everyone's favorite divine carpenter would act. Man, it's like people selectively forget cameras exist and are everywhere or something before doing stupid sheet. Not sure what would be worthy punishment for his actions, but hopefully he receives it and learns a well-needed lesson.

Now, is he a racist, like Winter asked? At the very least, he's delusional, with his comments on Uganda itself such as "Uganda hates Jesus through this man" and the glorious "Look at Christ who died for you" he uttered several times. However, watching the video over a couple times, it's hard to deny that there aren't at least slight amounts of racism present in his tantrum, though I can't say for certain if it was the main factor behind his behavior. Oddly enough, a big factor that makes me inclined to believe this pastor is in fact racist is his accent. I'd be lying if I said it wasn't more obviously present in the southern states, where precisely that type of accent comes from, than in other places in the US, which I'm not proud to admit.

He also called this man a jabroni.

Once. One utterance of a racial slur in a clear fit of rage does not an immediate racist make. Of course, it's hard to determine whether or not he's racist purely from a whopping two minutes of footage, half of which consists of "You disgrace Jesus" - not necessarily related to race, especially with no context - and "Look at Christ who died for you."

Holy sheet. I do not know what to say. I have my disdain toward both sides of people of faith, and I am someone who wants to believe in faith. That has nothing to really do with this.

This is just a shitty person, in the end, though. funk him. That is all you can really say. And he doesn't know he is a shitty person because he is using a belief system to promote his shitty behavior. There is no way the man will take responsibility for this when he doesn't view what he did as wrong.

That's all it takes.  You'd have to be racist to look at a man of color and be Caucasian and call him a jabroni.  It's not a difficult concept.

Speaking from the other side of the fence, no, the world isn't that black and white (heh, get it?). If a white man gets his "n-word pass" from his black friend, and he uses it in good humor with a different black friend who didn't know, is the white man now a racist? If you and I get into an argument that goes too far and I use it, am I a racist? If so, am I racist for a minute instead of just really really angry, or do I magically develop a hatred of black people for the rest of my life? I won't say a person is wrong if they claim the pastor here is racist, but I won't argue against him not being one either. There's simply too little content and zero context to go off of.

That said, my gut feeling definitely leans strongly toward him being a racist. I don't disagree with your conclusion itself so much as the steps you took to get there. Just to clear that up.

Speaking from the other side of the fence

Should've stopped right there.

If a white man gets his "n-word pass" from his black friend, and he uses it in good humor with a different black friend who didn't know, is the white man now a racist? 

He's just blindly stupid for thinking one pass from a friend means a pass from everyone else around him.

If you and I get into an argument that goes too far and I use it, am I a racist? If so, am I racist for a minute instead of just really really angry, or do I magically develop a hatred of black people for the rest of my life? 

You're either racist or you're not.  If you throw that term at me in an incident, especially if I didn't give you a pass, then you're stupid and you're racist.  Rage doesn't justify use of the word.  Stop trying to make it so.  I don't care how angry you are, I will drop you flatout.  Don't suddenly turn ignorant and act like you don't know any better.

There's simply too little content and zero context to go off of.

He raged out and called this man a jabroni.  He's a racist.  Simple concept.

Archived