Bookworm Adventures Archetype ( New and Improved! )

Ultimagamer

This is an updated version of an archetype I created a while back that focused on a beatdown strategy and using equip spells. I've updated the concept of that deck, and made it focused on more using the cards for multiple monsters and balancing them across each other ( trying to make it so that none of them are noticeably more powerful than the others ). 

I'll be updating in the future, so please leave your thoughts below :D 

Lex the Bookworm

Level 1 / Earth / Insect / Effect

500 attack / 500 defense

Cannot be destroyed by battle. This card can attack your opponent directly. If this card inflicts damage to your opponent: add 1 “Gem Tile” Spell Card from your Deck to your hand.

Xel the Bookworm

500 attack / 500 defense

Cannot be destroyed by battle. This card can attack your opponent directly. If this card inflicts damage to your opponent: add 1 “Great Library” Spell/Trap Card from your Deck to your hand.

Evilex the Bookworm

500 attack / 500 defense

Cannot be destroyed by battle. This card can attack your opponent directly. If this card inflicts damage to your opponent: shuffle this card you control into your Deck; Special Summon 1 “Lex the Bookworm” from your Deck or GY, but it cannot attack directly during this turn.

Bookworm Companion - Mother Goose

Level 1 / Earth / Winged-Beast / Effect

500 attack / 500 defense

If you control a “Bookworm” Monster: you can Special Summon this card from your hand or GY. You can only use this effect of “Bookworm Companion - Mother Goose” once per turn. Once per turn, during either players turn (quick effect): you can shuffle this card you control into your Deck; equip 1 “Adventurous Potion - Healing” from your hand, Deck, or GY to an Insect-Type “Bookworm” Monster you control, then gain 1000 lifepoints.

Bookworm Companion - Legendary Master

Level 1 / Earth / Warrior / Effect

500 attack / 500 defense

If you control a “Bookworm” Monster: you can Special Summon this card from your hand or GY. You can only use this effect of “Bookworm Companion - Legendary Master” once per turn. Once per turn, during either players turn (quick effect): you can shuffle this card you control into your Deck; equip 1 “Adventurous Potion - Power-Up” from your hand, Deck, or GY to an Insect-Type “Bookworm” Monster you control, then that Monster gains 500 attack until the end of the turn.

Bookworm Companion - Cheshire Cat

Level 1 / Earth / Beast / Effect

500 attack / 500 defense

If you control a “Bookworm” Monster: you can Special Summon this card from your hand or GY. You can only use this effect of “Bookworm Companion - Cheshire Cat” once per turn. Once per turn, during either players turn (quick effect): you can shuffle this card you control into your Deck; equip 1 “Adventurous Potion - Purify” from your hand, Deck, or GY to an Insect-Type “Bookworm” Monster you control. For the rest of this turn after this effect resolves, the effects of cards you control cannot have their effects negated.

Bookworm Adventures - H.G. Wells

Level 1 / Earth / Warrior / Effect

500 attack / 500 defense

If you control a “Bookworm” Monster: you can Special Summon this card from your hand or GY. You can only use this effect of “Bookworm Companion - H.G. Wells” once per turn. Once per turn, during either players turn (quick effect): you can shuffle this card you control into your Deck; until the end of the turn, Insect-Type “Bookworm” Monsters you control are unaffected by your opponent’s card effects.

Bookworm Companion - Skeletrox

Level 1 / Earth / Machine / Effect

500 attack / 500 defense

If you control a “Bookworm” Monster: you can Special Summon this card from your hand or GY. You can only use this effect of “Bookworm Companion - Skeletrox” once per turn. Once per turn, during either players turn (quick effect): you can shuffle this card you control into your Deck; shuffle 1 “Gem Tile” Spell Card you control into your Deck, then place 2 “Gem Tile” Spell Cards with different names from your hand, Deck, or GY face-up in your Spell/Trap Card Zones.

Bookworm Companion - Monkey King

Level 1 / Earth / Beast-Warrior / Effect

500 attack / 500 defense

If you control a “Bookworm” Monster: you can Special Summon this card from your hand or GY. You can only use this effect of “Bookworm Companion - Monkey King” once per turn. Once per turn, during either players turn (quick effect): you can shuffle this card you control into your Deck; Special Summon 1 “Bookworm Companion” Monster from your Deck, except “Bookworm Companion - Monkey King”.

Gem Tile - Amethyst Tile

Spell - Continuous

Increase the attack and defense of all “Bookworm” Monsters you control by 500. At the end of the damage step, if a “Bookworm” Monster you control inflicted damage to your opponent: target 1 Monster your opponent controls; destroy that target.

Gem Tile - Emerald Tile

Spell - Continuous

Increase the attack and defense of all “Bookworm” Monsters you control by 500. Whenever damage calculation occurs from battle with a “Bookworm” Monster you control: gain lifepoints equal to the damage inflicted to either player.

Gem Tile - Sapphire Tile

Spell - Continuous

Increase the attack and defense of all “Bookworm” Monsters you control by 500. At the end of the damage step, when a “Bookworm” Monster you control inflicts damage to your opponent: this card gains the following effect until the end of the next turn.

• Once per turn, if your opponent activates a card or effect (quick effect): you can target 1 Monster your opponent controls; negate that Monster’s effects until the end of the turn.

Gem Tile - Garnet Tile

Spell - Continuous

Increase the attack and defense of all “Bookworm” Monsters you control by 500. At the end of the damage step, when a “Bookworm” Monster you control inflicts damage to your opponent: until the end of the next turn, if you would take damage from your opponent, by battle or card effect, that is greater than or equal to 500, that damage becomes 200.

Gem Tile - Ruby Tile

Spell - Continuous

Increase the attack and defense of all “Bookworm” Monsters you control by 500. At the end of the damage step, when a “Bookworm” Monster you control destroys an opponent’s Monster by battle: inflict damage to your opponent equal to the destroyed Monster’s original attack.

Gem Tile - Crystal Tile

Spell - Continuous

Increase the attack and defense of all “Bookworm” Monsters you control by 500. At the end of the damage step, when a “Bookworm” Monster you control inflicts damage to your opponent, apply this effect: until the end of the next turn, cards you control cannot have their effects negated.

Gem Tile - Diamond Tile

Spell - Continuous

Increase the attack and defense of all “Bookworm” Monsters you control by 500. At the end of the damage step, when a “Bookworm Monster you control inflicts damage to your opponent: add 3 “ Adventurous Potion” Spell Cards with different names from your Deck or GY to your hand.

Gem Tile - Rainbow Tile

Spell - Continuous

When this card resolves, banish 1 “Gem Tile” Spell Card from your GY. This card gains the effects of the banished card while it remains face-up on the field.

Adventurous Potion - Healing

Spell - Normal

Equip only to a “Bookworm” Monster. After this card’s activation resolves, gain 2000 lifepoints. If you would take effect damage, you can send this card you control to your GY instead. For the rest of the turn after you do this, you take no effect damage.

Adventurous Potion - Power-Up

Spell - Normal

Equip only to a “Bookworm” Monster. The equipped Monster gains 1000 attack and defense. If the equipped Monster is attacked: you can send this card you control to your GY; negate that attack.

Adventurous Potion - Purify

Spell - Equip

Equip only to a “Bookworm” Monster. The equipped Monster cannot have it’s effects negated. If your “Bookworm” Monster is targeted by a card effect: you can send this card you control to your GY; negate that effect.

The Great Library

Spell - Field

When this card is activated, you can add 1 “Bookworm” Monster from your Deck to your hand. All “Bookworm” Monsters you control gain 500 attack and defense. When a “Bookworm” Monster you control battles, your opponent cannot activate cards or effects until the end of the battle phase.

Re-Reading the Books in the Great Library

Spell - Normal

Reveal any number of “Bookworm” Monsters, “Gem-Tile” Spell Cards, “Adventurous Potion” Spell Cards, or “Great Library” Spell/Trap Cards in your hand, except “Re-Reading the Books in the Great Library. Shuffle those targets into your Deck, then draw cards equal to the amount of cards returned +1. If you draw a “Gem Tile” Spell Card(s) with this effect, you can place up to 3 of those cards face-up in your Spell/Trap Card Zones to draw an equal number of cards.

Traveling Between Books in the Great Library

Spell - Continuous

Increase the attack and defense of all “Bookworm” Monsters you control by 500. Once per turn: you can Special Summon 1 “Bookworm” Monster from your hand. If you control no Monsters, you can Special Summon 1 “Bookworm” Monster from your GY instead.

Paradoxical Occurrences in the Great Library

Trap - Counter

When your opponent would activate a Spell/Trap Card while you control a “Bookworm” Monster: you can send 1 “Bookworm” Monster and 1 “Gem-Tile” Spell Card from your Deck to your GY; negate that effect, then shuffle that card into the Deck. For the rest of this turn after this effect resolves, all “Bookworm” Monsters you control gain 500 attack and defense.

Obligatory joke: Solitaire is my favourite card game too.

Both monsters are very good. But obviously they are only as good as the spells they search.

Gem tyles in general

I like that they all boost them 500 ATK and DEF because if you just smack 5 of them down that should be fun.

Amethyst

Seeing as you are playing solitaire you want to either boost you killing your opponent to be as fast as possible or you want to stall out your death. This card does stall your death but anything that can be destroyed by this card is probably not a threat to you anyway.

Emerald

It doesn't really do a whole lot for you to win the game as you will want to have them at super high attack anyway.

Sapphire

I mean, you could do that. But you could also destroy it with Amethyst... soooooo? I don't really get the point of this card.

Garnet

Again, why not just pop it with Amethyst? And it also actively doesn't support the monsters because they attack directly anyway, so they don't really care about you opponent's ATK.

Ruby

Actually pretty good despite my former complaints against attacking monsters. Because then you can take out their resources without compromising damage. It's not as good as Amethyst by a long shot but it doesn't feel like it goes against the idea of the archetype like some of the other cards do.

Crystal

Covers 1 of the 2 biggest weaknesses of the deck. So it really can't be bad despite its really specific usage.

Daimond

Not very consistant because the Potions aren't that good. But the potential payoff is so great that it's worth running 3 just to try.

Rainbow

It does copy Amethyst.

Healing 

2k life is the best heal card in the game.

still not that good though

Power-Up

It is basically 1000 damage to the face and it does allow monster destruction.

Purify

The second effect is actually pretty good and exactly what this deck needs.

The Great Library

Best card in the deck just because it is never a bad draw. But not OP because it doesn't really do anything crazy.

Traveling Between Books

Two bookworms on board is basically 6k damage if you have a good hand. And it does cause the deck to not be "raigeki=skoop the deck"

Paradoxical Occurances

I mean. Just an objectively good counter trap. So yeah.

Deck list I tried and what I thought of the drawn hands!

[spoiler=Decklist]

Sorry for the weird ratio. But the deck requires it.

Monsters

3xLex the Bookworm

3xXel the Bookworm

Spells

3xTerraforming

3xThe Great Library

3xGem Tile - Daimond Tile

3xGem Tile - Amethyst Tile

2xGem Tile - Ruby Tile

1xGem Tile - Sapphire Tile

2xGem Tile - Crystal Tile

3xMy Body As A Shield

1xTraveling Between Books in the Great Library

2xPot of Desire

2xAdventurous Potion - Purify

2xAdventurous Potion - Power Up

2xAdventurous Potion - Healing

1xUpstart Goblin

Traps

3xParadoxical Occurrences in the Great Library

1xSolemn Judgment

[spoiler=Thoughts]

The deck has very high highs and very low lows. I had hands that ended with a 2k Xel and 3 negates and another tile and another 2 Potions in my hand. I also had a hand with no monsters, because you do have about a 5% chance to open without a monster. I also had multiple moments where I just basically opened a 1k direct attacker with a bit of protection.

So in conclusion. The Archetype has trouble with either power (if you play a go second variant), consistancy (if you were to play an "all rounder" kind of version) or playing through established boards (if you play a go first variant). But you get to pick your poison in that aspect.

Obligatory joke: Solitaire is my favourite card game too.

Both monsters are very good. But obviously they are only as good as the spells they search.

Gem tyles in general

I like that they all boost them 500 ATK and DEF because if you just smack 5 of them down that should be fun.

Amethyst

Seeing as you are playing solitaire you want to either boost you killing your opponent to be as fast as possible or you want to stall out your death. This card does stall your death but anything that can be destroyed by this card is probably not a threat to you anyway.

Emerald

It doesn't really do a whole lot for you to win the game as you will want to have them at super high attack anyway.

Sapphire

I mean, you could do that. But you could also destroy it with Amethyst... soooooo? I don't really get the point of this card.

Garnet

Again, why not just pop it with Amethyst? And it also actively doesn't support the monsters because they attack directly anyway, so they don't really care about you opponent's ATK.

Ruby

Actually pretty good despite my former complaints against attacking monsters. Because then you can take out their resources without compromising damage. It's not as good as Amethyst by a long shot but it doesn't feel like it goes against the idea of the archetype like some of the other cards do.

Crystal

Covers 1 of the 2 biggest weaknesses of the deck. So it really can't be bad despite its really specific usage.

Daimond

Not very consistant because the Potions aren't that good. But the potential payoff is so great that it's worth running 3 just to try.

Rainbow

It does copy Amethyst.

Healing 

2k life is the best heal card in the game.

still not that good though

Power-Up

It is basically 1000 damage to the face and it does allow monster destruction.

Purify

The second effect is actually pretty good and exactly what this deck needs.

The Great Library

Best card in the deck just because it is never a bad draw. But not OP because it doesn't really do anything crazy.

Traveling Between Books

Two bookworms on board is basically 6k damage if you have a good hand. And it does cause the deck to not be "raigeki=skoop the deck"

Paradoxical Occurances

I mean. Just an objectively good counter trap. So yeah.

Deck list I tried and what I thought of the drawn hands!

[spoiler=Decklist]

Sorry for the weird ratio. But the deck requires it.

Monsters

3xLex the Bookworm

3xXel the Bookworm

Spells

3xTerraforming

3xThe Great Library

3xGem Tile - Daimond Tile

3xGem Tile - Amethyst Tile

2xGem Tile - Ruby Tile

1xGem Tile - Sapphire Tile

2xGem Tile - Crystal Tile

3xMy Body As A Shield

1xTraveling Between Books in the Great Library

2xPot of Desire

2xAdventurous Potion - Purify

2xAdventurous Potion - Power Up

2xAdventurous Potion - Healing

1xUpstart Goblin

Traps

3xParadoxical Occurrences in the Great Library

1xSolemn Judgment

[spoiler=Thoughts]

The deck has very high highs and very low lows. I had hands that ended with a 2k Xel and 3 negates and another tile and another 2 Potions in my hand. I also had a hand with no monsters, because you do have about a 5% chance to open without a monster. I also had multiple moments where I just basically opened a 1k direct attacker with a bit of protection.

So in conclusion. The Archetype has trouble with either power (if you play a go second variant), consistancy (if you were to play an "all rounder" kind of version) or playing through established boards (if you play a go first variant). But you get to pick your poison in that aspect.

Thanks for the feedback! I like how you created a sample deck list of the cards, it's a pretty interesting way of looking at them. 

I've created a bunch of new cards for this, as well as modifying some of the old ones ( mostly minor ). These should help with the consistency of the deck ( drawing more hands of even amounts of gem tiles and bookworms ). 

Changes 

1. Amethyst - The effect now triggers at the end of the damage step instead of at the end of the battle phase 

2. Traveling Between Books - Now has the attack increase from the Gem Tiles 

3. Paradoxical Occurrences - Now has the attack increase from the Gem Tiles after being used 

Additions 

1. Evilex the Bookworm ( another bookworm name, also increases the consistency of seeing Lex during duels ) 

2. Bookworm Companion - Mother Goose 

3. Bookworm Companion - Legendary Master 

4. Bookworm Companion - Cheshire Cat 

5. Bookworm Companion - H.G. Wells 

6. Bookworm Companion - Skeletrox 

7. Bookworm Companion - Monkey King 

8. Re-Reading the Books in the Great Library ( helps out with brick hands in which you open too many spells/traps or not enough of them ) 

goal of companions - designed to make potions / gem tiles more consistent while protecting the bookworms 

some updates! only a few for this one, should improve the cards nicely 

changes 

- amethyst tile now has tile after it's name 

- sapphire tile now negates monster effects as a quick effect 

- garnet now reduces damage greater than 500 to 200 

- re-reading the books now includes adventurous potions in the cards it can return 

• 2 weeks later...

I'll just go over them again!

Evilex The Bookworm

Seeing as Xel is better than Lex and it's kinda slow and a dead draw when you already have Xel/Lex. I personally wouldn't run it. Not drawing any monsters kinda sucks, but its not that bad.

Potion Bookworm Companions

Honestly, in last deck I only ran the Potions for the Daimond effect. I guess you could use them to Link Summon. But I don't think you really want to search them without going +1

Bookworm Companion - H.Q. Wells

The tiles do it better because they give you 500 ATK.

Bookworm Companion - Skelletrox

Guess I'll just run 3 tiles less than. Because I really want 3 of this one.

Bookworm Companion - Monkey King

I think I might run another tile less. 

Re-Reading

With the amount of tiles I'm running this is basically just free plusses.

The attack buffs are nice.

I ended up not changing the deck much, except I now run 4 less tiles and no monster reborn/solemn and I now run 3 Re-Read because it plusses like a mofo and solves bricks like it's Kozmotown and I run 3 Skelletrox. The main deck is tight though. You want to run 40 cards and an upstart so you can draw your actual good monsters. But you also want to run a lot of tiles and potions to search them out and make your other cards live.

How did the deck get better?

The power issue is gone. As in, the ceiling is still the same. But I can do the daimond combo where you search all 3 potions about 4/5 hands now (though sometimes it takes 2 turns). Also, this is the weirdest control deck I have ever played. I thought it'd be like solitaire but you end up just basically going "You've got 2 turn to get through my negates before my direct attacker kills you, have fun". And the actual skillful plays come on your opponent's turn, by knowing when to activate your my body and paradoxes.

Also, my boyfriend hates to play against it. But he has no right to complain because he used to play Dark Worlds.

Archived