Ziege Archetype (12/12)

Atypical-Abbie

Ziege is an Archetype consisting of mainly Trap monsters that become Level 7 Machines with various Attributes and each with 2000 ATK and DEF, but has 2 Main Deck monsters and 1 Xyz Monster as well. Each of these Trap monsters have an on Summon effect that is quite a powerful offensive strike against your opponent, destroying, negating or making their monsters lose their ATK and DEF.

Along with that, they support each other if adjacent to each other, allowing you to additionally destroy a card whenever an on Summon effect is activated. To reduce this powerful effect combination, they must be Special Summoned in Defense Position, if you use their effect, you are locked down to only Special Summoning Ziege monsters, and unless you control their Field Spell, Ziege Castle, you can't change their battle positions.

Don't worry though, their Xyz Monster allows them to attack while in Defense Position, as well as itself, though it also has that clause, due to its powerful effect, though it can only be used while in Attack Position.

They also have two Main Deck monsters, which are Warriors, and they allow for some searching, recycling and making Xyz Monsters much faster, and their other support cards, Ammunition, Assault and Counterfire also add speed, more tactical plays and counter attacks.

Their name is a corruption of Siege, as that word exists already in YGO, and they are based on various siege weapons. My starting off point was to make something based around catapults only, but I figured it would be more interesting to have them be various kinds of weapons, allowing me to use FIRE for Cannon and Mortar since they are firepower, EARTH for Battering Ram since that's powered by man, and WIND for the Ballista, Catapult and Trebuchet, as they don't use firepower, but rather the pull-back and gravity instead, which I figured made more sense here.

Main Deck Monsters:

Ziege Soldier

Warrior/EARTH

Level 4

When this card is Normal or Special Summoned: You can add 1 "Ziege" card from your Deck to your hand, except "Ziege Soldier". If this card is sent to the GY: You can discard 1 card; Special Summon this card from your GY in Defense Position, and if you do, its Level becomes 7. During the turn you activate either of this card's effect, you cannot Special Summon monsters, except "Ziege" monsters. You can only use 1 "Ziege Soldier" effect per turn, and only once that turn.

1300/1800

Ziege King

Warrior/LIGHT

Level 7

If you control a "Ziege" monster in your Main Monster Zone that was Special Summoned by its own effect: You can Special Summon this card from your hand in Defense Position. You can discard this card, then target 1 "Ziege" card in your GY, except "Ziege King"; add it to your hand. You can only use each effect of "Ziege King" once per turn.

1000/2300

Extra Deck Monsters:

Ziege Trebuchet

Machine/WIND/Xyz

Rank 7

2+ Level 7 monsters

If this card is Xyz Summoned using a Trap that is a monster as material: You can look at your opponent's hand, then discard any non-Traps from their hand. (Quick Effect): You can detach 1 material from this card; destroy as many cards your opponent control as possible, up to the number of "Ziege" cards in your GY with different names, then change this card to Defense Position. All "Ziege" monsters you control can attack while in Defense Position. If they do, apply their DEF during damage calculation. Unless you control "Ziege Castle", this card cannot change its battle position.

2800/2800

Spells/Traps:

Ziege Castle

Field Spell

All "Ziege" monsters you control gain 200 ATK and DEF for each "Ziege" monster you and in your GY with different names. Both players can activate 1 Trap Card from their hand during their Main Phase. If a "Ziege" monster(s) you control would be destroyed by battle or card effect, you can take 500 damage instead for each of those monsters. Once per turn, during your End Phase, if you control no "Ziege" monsters, take 2000 damage or destroy this card.

Ziege Ammunition

Quick-Play Spell

Discard 1 card; Set 1 "Ziege" Continuous Trap directly from your Deck. If you control no monsters in your Main Monster Zone, it can be activated this turn. During your Draw Phase, before you draw: You can banish this card from your GY; give up your normal draw this turn, and if you do, add 1 "Ziege Castle" from your Deck to your hand. You can only activate 1 "Ziege Ammunition" per turn.

Ziege Assault

Normal Trap

Target 2 or more "Ziege" monsters you control with the same Level; immediately after this effect resolves, Xyz Summon 1 Xyz Monster using those monsters as material, then you can destroy any monsters in your opponent's Extra Monster Zone(s). If you would take damage by the effect of "Ziege Castle", you can banish this card from your GY instead.

Ziege Catapult

Continuous Trap

During the Main or Battle Phase: Special Summon this card as an Effect Monster in Defense Position (Machine/WIND/Level 7/ATK 2000/DEF 2000). If Summoned this way: You can target 1 face-up monster your opponent controls; destroy that target, also you cannot Special Summon monsters, except "Ziege" monsters for the rest of this turn. Once per turn, if this card is a monster, if exactly 1 "Ziege" monster is Summoned to your zone adjacent to this card and activates its effect, when that effect resolves, you can destroy 1 card your opponent controls in this card's column. Unless you control "Ziege Castle", this card cannot change its battle position.

Ziege Cannon

Continuous Trap

During the Main or Battle Phase: Special Summon this card as an Effect Monster in Defense Position (Machine/FIRE/Level 7/ATK 2000/DEF 2000). (This card is also still a Trap.) If Summoned this way: You can target up to 2 Set Spells/Traps your opponent controls; destroy them, also you cannot Special Summon monsters, except "Ziege" monsters for the rest of this turn. Once per turn, if this card is a monster, if exactly 1 "Ziege" monster is Summoned to your zone adjacent to this card and activates its effect, when that effect resolves, you can destroy 1 card your opponent controls in this card's column. Unless you control "Ziege Castle", this card cannot change its battle position.

Ziege Mortar

Continuous Trap

During the Main or Battle Phase: Special Summon this card as an Effect Monster in Defense Position (Machine/FIRE/Level 7/ATK 2000/DEF 2000). If Summoned this way: You can target up to 2 face-up cards your opponent controls; negate their effects, also you cannot Special Summon monsters, except "Ziege" monsters for the rest of this turn. Once per turn, if this card is a monster, if exactly 1 "Ziege" monster is Summoned to your zone adjacent to this card and activates its effect, when that effect resolves, you can destroy 1 card your opponent controls in this card's column. Unless you control "Ziege Castle", this card cannot change its battle position.

Ziege Battering Ram

Continuous Trap

During the Main or Battle Phase: Special Summon this card as an Effect Monster in Defense Position (Machine/EARTH/Level 7/ATK 2000/DEF 2000). If Summoned this way: You can target 1 Set card your your opponent controls; destroy that target, also you cannot Special Summon monsters, except "Ziege" monsters for the rest of this turn. Once per turn, if this card is a monster, if exactly 1 "Ziege" monster is Summoned to your zone adjacent to this card and activates its effect, when that effect resolves, you can destroy 1 card your opponent controls in this card's column. Unless you control "Ziege Castle", this card cannot change its battle position.

Ziege Ballista

Continuous Trap

During the Main or Battle Phase: Special Summon this card as an Effect Monster in Defense Position (Machine/WIND/Level 7/ATK 2000/DEF 2000). If Summoned this way: You can target 1 face-up monster your opponent controls; its ATK and DEF become 0, also you cannot Special Summon monsters, except "Ziege" monsters for the rest of this turn. Once per turn, if this card is a monster, if exactly 1 "Ziege" monster is Summoned to your zone adjacent to this card and activates its effect, when that effect resolves, you can destroy 1 card your opponent controls in this card's column. Unless you control "Ziege Castle", this card cannot change its battle position.

Ziege Counterfire

Counter Trap

When your opponent activates a card or effect while the only monsters you control are "Ziege" monsters (min. 1): Negate the activation, and if you do, destroy that card, then you can destroy 1 card your opponent controls in this card's column. If you control a Trap that is a monster, you can Set this card instead of sending it to the GY.

Ziege Castle:

So, it's pretty much an unlimited "Temple of the Kings" that benefits from Field Spell support. I very much would like this, but given the Limited status of the Temple, IDK if it's a fair thing to do.

Trebuchet:

This card makes me uneasy. With that first effect, opening Castle + Level 7 Trap monster + Foolish Burial for milling Ziege Soldier or Destrudo, or a Normal Summonable Level 7 like Fusilier, makes this card an pseudo-OTK by killing the opponent's hand on the first turn as long as it is not Trap-based like Altergeist, or doesn't disrupt your plays with hand traps. Funnily enough, Maxx C wouldn't affect you too much, since you will kill most of the cards it draws anyway.

Counterfire:

Too strong in comparison to cookie-cutter archetype omni-Counters, especially when paired with the Castle, as it translates to negating the opponent's effects twice per turn and destroying its cards in the process, while keeping the Counter Trap card on board.

Assault:

I have a question regarding a technicality with the last effect. Isn't the burn from Castle a Maintenance cost, rather than an effect, which means you have to use a different wording for this card to protect you from the burn? Or the burn is still an effect? I ask because I remember some rulings about maintenance costs not being effects, and looking around I find that effects from cards like "Card Guard" won't protect cards from destroying themselves due to maintenance costs.

Ziege Castle:

So, it's pretty much an unlimited "Temple of the Kings" that benefits from Field Spell support. I very much would like this, but given the Limited status of the Temple, IDK if it's a fair thing to do.

Trebuchet:

This card makes me uneasy. With that first effect, opening Castle + Level 7 Trap monster + Foolish Burial for milling Ziege Soldier or Destrudo, or a Normal Summonable Level 7 like Fusilier, makes this card an pseudo-OTK by killing the opponent's hand on the first turn as long as it is not Trap-based like Altergeist, or doesn't disrupt your plays with hand traps. Funnily enough, Maxx C wouldn't affect you too much, since you will kill most of the cards it draws anyway.

Counterfire:

Too strong in comparison to cookie-cutter archetype omni-Counters, especially when paired with the Castle, as it translates to negating the opponent's effects twice per turn and destroying its cards in the process, while keeping the Counter Trap card on board.

Castle, your opponent also gets to use it, so it's not quite as powerful, and do recall its maintenance cost as well.

Trebuchet, hmm I can see that being a problem, maybe if it's only if you Xyz Summon it with Traps, would that be okay?

Counterfire, well Setting it again would also cause it to wait another turn, since that resets it, it is a powerful card, but you can't use it too much, and you also have to consider the playing space due to Trap monsters also taking up your zones. It isn't usable with Link Monsters either, since you can't have non-Ziege on the field, so if you want to use those, that limits your options. Maybe if I make it so you must have 2 monsters instead?

Castle, your opponent also gets to use it, so it's not quite as powerful, and do recall its maintenance cost as well.

Counterfire, well Setting it again would also cause it to wait another turn, since that resets it, it is a powerful card, but you can't use it too much, and you also have to consider the playing space due to Trap monsters also taking up your zones. It isn't usable with Link Monsters either, since you can't have non-Ziege on the field, so if you want to use those, that limits your options. Maybe if I make it so you must have 2 monsters instead?

Oh, right. Needless to say, the opponent being able to use it matters less if its deck isn't Trap-heavy, but that's match-up dependent. Personally I wouldn't mind paying 2000 or 4000 LP to keep the card around a couple of turns, or destroy it if the opponent is Trap-heavy, if that lets me establish a board and/or make my plays.

My bad, I thought Castle let you activate 1 Trap during the turn it is Set, hence my statement of negating twice. Still, the re-Setting a Counter Trap like this sounds like an oppressive thing to do. Requiring 2 monsters may be too demanding, so I was thinking on banishing the card when it leaves the field after it is re-Set, instead.

Also note my question on Assault that I edited later on my previous post.

Oh, right. Needless to say, the opponent being able to use it matters less if its deck isn't Trap-heavy, but that's match-up dependent. Personally I wouldn't mind paying 2000 or 4000 LP to keep the card around a couple of turns, or destroy it if the opponent is Trap-heavy, if that lets me establish a board and/or make my plays.

My bad, I thought Castle let you activate 1 Trap during the turn it is Set, hence my statement of negating twice. Still, the re-Setting a Counter Trap like this sounds like an oppressive thing to do. Requiring 2 monsters may be too demanding, so I was thinking on banishing the card when it leaves the field after it is re-Set, instead.

Also note my question on Assault that I edited later on my previous post.

Not sure how banishing it after being re-Set would make it less powerful, you mean you get to use it only once more, then it banishes? If you just mean when it's destroyed, then what's the point in that?

As for Assault, honestly I don't know the ruling to that, not something I have really considered before, so I can't tell you, I'll have to look into that more. It is suppose to be a maintenance cost, so don't know really.

Not sure how banishing it after being re-Set would make it less powerful, you mean you get to use it only once more, then it banishes? If you just mean when it's destroyed, then what's the point in that?

Yeah, something like Lost Wind, that banishes after it Sets itself with its own effect. At least you wouldn't get to keep the Counter indefinitely, or until the opponent removes it.

Archived