Battle Format (My new attempt at a "Cube")

So, I don't know if any of you remember. But A long while ago I made my own Cubelike format. However, it was fundamentally too complicated to actually play around with.

So yesterday I was talking to my girlfriend about why she prefered Goat format over modern Yu-Gi-Oh. And I made mental notes on what she was describing as "fun" about Goat format. And I now strive to make a format that is like Goat, but with more modern elements.

Her definition of fun in Goat format

1: Variety of games. Because you run many 1 offs, every hand is different.

2: Reactionary gamplay/interaction. You play your hand according to what your opponent does, not just willy nilly.

3: Back and forth. One player can be dominating one second, but 1 draw later the other player might completely take over.

4: Slow pace. Slugmatches. Grindgames. Mud Racing. You know the drill

5: Consistancy. In Goat you basically never brick, so you can always at least do something.

I want to recreate this, but with more modern and older cards.

1: I will force variety by having many cards limited. In addition I'd like to make most deck at a certain power level, so there won't be 1 best deck. (Which Goat does have)

2: No overwhelming comboes and a lot of search cards will make it so you can easily adept to your opponent.

3: Same as number 2

4: Same as number 2

5: A lot of search cards at 3. While many of their targets will be at 1. This allows you to always do something. And many times exactly what you want to do.

So, let's just get on to the list then, no?

[spoiler=Rules]

There is only 1 rule different from normal Yu-Gi-Oh!

You can only pendulum summon from the extra deck and only 1 monster at a time.

This rule exists so pendulum summoning isn't as fast, frustrating and floaty.

[spoiler=Allowed Cards]

[spoiler=The Basis]

All non-effect monsters - Unlimited

All Ritual Spells that only summon a non-effect Ritual Monster and do nothing else - Unlimited

Attribute Boosters - Unlimited

Attribute Knights - Unlimited

[spoiler=Spells]

Polymerization - Unlimited

Fusion Sage - Unlimited    

Yami - Unlimited

Mountain - Unlimited

Umi - Unlimited

[spoiler=Type Support]

[spoiler=Warrior Support]

[spoiler=Spells]

Reinforcement of the Army - Unlimited

[spoiler=Plant Support]

[spoiler=Main Deck Monsters]

Lonefire Blossom - Unlimited]

[spoiler=Beast-Warrior Support]

[spoiler=Spells]

Fire Formation – Tenki - Unlimited

[spoiler=Dinosaur Support]

[spoiler=Spells]

Fossil Dig - Unlimited

[spoiler=Pyro Support]

The Thing in the Crater

[spoiler=Reptile Support]

[spoiler=Xyz-Monsters]

King of the Feral Imps - Unlimited

[spoiler=Generic Misc. Cards]

[spoiler=Unlimited]

Wingtortoise

Disceple of the Forbidden Spell

[spoiler=Synchro Monsters]

Puralis, the Purple Pyrotile

Mist Bird Clausolas

Underworld Fighter Balmung

Magical Android

Blackfeather Darkrage Dragon

Giganticastle

[spoiler=Xyz Monsters]

Disdainful Bird of Paradise

Shining Elf

Laval Ignis

Number 33: Chronomaly Machu Mech

Number 19: Freezadon

Gaia Dragon, the Thunder Charger

Downerd Magician

[spoiler=Limited]

[spoiler=Main Deck monsters]

D.D. Warrior

Trap Master

Exiled Force

Gorgonic Golem

Revival Golem

Black Brachios

A/D Changer

Bite Shoes

Needle Sunfish

Otohime

Inaba White Rabbit

Tasuke Knight

Bacon Saver

[spoiler=Spells]

Paralyzing Potion

Graceful Dice

De-Spell

[spoiler=Traps]

Raigeki Break

Karma Cut

Skull Dice

Reinforcements

[spoiler=Generic Search/Draw Cards][spoiler=Unlimited][spoiler=Main Deck Monsters]

Manju of the Ten Thousand Hands

Senju of the Thousand Hands

Sonic Bird

[spoiler=Spells]

Terraforming

Upstart Goblin

Dark World Dealings

Unexpected Dai

[spoiler=Archetype Cards]

[spoiler=Volcanics]

Volcanic Shell - Unlimited

Volcanic Counter - Limited

[spoiler=(Vehic)Roids]

Steamroid - Limited

[spoiler=Sharks]

Gazer Shark - Unlimited

I'd love to play together on YGOpro/Dueling Book with this format. And of course suggestions are also welcome!

Currently there aren't a lot of good Spell/Traps and effect monsters that actually do anything, so that is priority #1. However, I don't know what the game needs if I have no-one to play with because that's something you just have to "feel".

[spoiler=Non-Organised List][spoiler=Unlimited]

All non-effect monsters

All Ritual Spells that only summon a non-effect Ritual Monster and do nothing else

Attribute Boosters

Attribute Knights

Manju of the Ten Thousand Hands

Senju of the Thousand Hands

Sonic Bird

Polymerization

Fusion Sage      

Yami

Mountain

Umi

Reinforcement of the Army

Lonefire Blossom

Fire Formation – Tenki

Fossil Dig

King of the Feral Imps

Terraforming

Upstart Goblin

Dark World Dealings

Unexpected Dai

The Thing in the Crater

Volcanic Shell

Gazer Shark

Wingtortoise

Downerd Magician

[spoiler=Limited]

D.D. Warrior

Trap Master

Exiled Force

Paralyzing Potion

Graceful Dice

De-Spell

Raigeki Break

Karma Cut

Skull Dice

Reinforcements

Steamroid

Revival Golem

Gorgonic Golem

Volcanic Counter

Black Brachios

A/D Changer

Bite Shoes

Needle Sunfish

Inaba White Rabbit

Otohime

Tasuke Knight

Bacon Saver

Too many spoilers and sub-sections. I legit don't know if I missed something along the way but to make it simple. Here:

All Normal Monsters and Vanilla Rituals with their respective Ritual Spells are legal and unlimited.

In addition, the following cards (Cards in the "Side Deck" bar are Limited).

[spoiler=Image]
MUpCrm9.png

My thoughts~
It looks very incomplete at the moment.

You have Synchros, but all Tuners are vanillas in your cube at the moment. This will tie in with how you lack incentive to run vanillas in this pool at the moment: I recommend you add "Unexpected Dai" It'll allow you to do stuff like bringing out a "Flamvell Guard" (Level 1 vanilla Tuner with 2000 DEF) to sit on or turn it into a Magical Android or Clausolas. It is tapping a bit into Special Summons being more of a thing, but not to the degree of modern Yugioh, and Extra Deck mechanics need this to be viable. It'd still be an unsure thing when you have effective consistent removal like the old Warrior toolbox and Raigeki Break.

I think instead of the old school Attribute boosters, you should use the Link ones. The Main Deck ones are very small and slow. You'll get a 500 boost from them if you have a decent board already up for them to boost at all, and then they'll proceed to become the target of your opponent's aggression since they are easier to kill and will undo the boost if that happens. Having 2 monsters of an Attribute turn into a 1900 ATK beater is not a big problem and the format is not fast enough for anybody to make use of the arrows anyways, and if killed, they float into a general toolbox from the GY to help bounce back. I doubt they'll get to boost anybody else, and Karma Kut and D.D. Warrior murders them. In addition, there's a cute card you could run:
This gives the chance to bring out small vanillas like Flamvell Guard in a way that's slow paced and pretty much defensive.
[spoiler=Packet Link]
ZyZ21Ik.png

The Attribute Knights also don't seem to have much they might wanna dump, so at least 1 different monster that'd want to be dumped, and 1 card that might help them trigger, is what I recommend.

Note: I'm not suggesting you add all these, but to choose the ones you think can be added without disturbing your intended rhythm of the game much.

[spoiler=On each Knight]

Dust Knight: Doesn't need help triggering, but here are some targets to choose from:
-Revival Golem: When it is sent from the Deck to the GY, it can Special Summon itself or add itself to the hand, and it is a 100/2100 Level 4 so potential Rank 4 or Synchro play upcoming, fully defensive otherwise, and can give you discard for the limited Traps.

-Gorgonic Golem: Level 3 EARTH Rock [1200/600], when killed by battle it turns the killer's ATK into 0, and from the GY it can stun 1 backrow card for 1 turn. That is small but can come in handy in slow-paced games, and if you wondered about the Attribute Links being too high in ATK, here's a solution.
-Tackle Crusader: Level 4 EARTH Rock [1500/1800]. If sent to the GY, you can either force an opponent's monster into face-down Defense Position, or you can bounce a face-up S/T your opponent controls (and it prevents them from using it that turn).
-Chhronomaly Colossal Head: Level 3 [800/1600]. Banishes from the GY to change a Level 3+ monster into face-down Defense Position. Handy at taking monsters down or recycling your flips, which you have stuff like Trap Master and all the Knights.
-Shield Warrior: Level 3 [800/1600], protects 1 of your monsters from being destroyed by battle once by banishing it from the GY. It's good and you have good stuff for Warriors.
-Carboneddon: Banishes itself from GY to give you mostly any Dragon vanilla in the game.

Brushfire Knight: Needs help to trigger it. You could use "UFO Turtle" which also makes a big favor for Lonefire, or "The Thing in the Crater" which Special Summons a Pyro from hand if destroyed. The most note-worthy ones are Flame Cerberus, Mr. Volcano, Charcoal Impachi, Blazing Impachi, Flame Champion, and Twin-Headed Fire Dragon. Further supporting Unexpected Dai in some cases. Small note: Lonefire's best target is Stardust Trumpeter.... Anyways, I also recommend you add the cards "Shift" and "Call of the Earthbound" so you can further control what gets hit. As for what the Knight can dump...
-Volcanic Counter: Banishes itself from GY when you take Battle Damage to make your opponent also take the same amount. Problem is, you don't get to choose when it triggers.

-Volcanic Shell: When in the GY, you can pay 500 LP and it adds a copy of itself from GY to hand. Great discard fodder. Pseudo Sinister Serpent.
-Miscellaneousaurus: I feel obligated to mention this one but I think it is honestly too strong for this format.
-Jet Synchron: Discard 1 card and this Level 1 Tuner self-revives. Sounds good to me but it just dawned on me that having Foolish Burial at 3 (and at all) will immediately render the work-around of these Knights kind of obsolete in comparison... maybe you should try this out without Burial to start things and see how it goes.
-Manticore of Darkness: 2300, self-revives every End Phase so long as you can discard a Beast/Beast-Warrior/Winged Beast. A bit too strong so I'd advice not to add it unless FIRE themes prove to need it when tested. Just something to keep note of.
-Shiranui Spectralsword: It is a bit of a free Synchro but it really depends on what Zombie Synchros there are. A high-Level one could make this need enough dedication to justify it, but who really knows....

Shore Knight: To trigger it, Flipping it face-up I think doesn't trigger it since it has to be face-up from the get go. I think the ideal trigger is the Trap "Zero Gravity". More round-about, you can add "Black Brachios" to the pool, just for a bit of a troll play that might never get used xD
Targets to bump are immediately Treeborn Frog and Sinister Serpent, but might be a bit too consistently recurring for the format's taste, so other options:
-Friller Rabca: Fish/Aqua/Sea Serpent-themed Necro Gardna that weakens the attacker for a couple turns. The Knight doesn't fit in much but there are fish vanillas you might be able to mix in to make something. On the same avenue there is . . .
-Needle Sunfish: It just weakens an ATK by 500 when sent to the GY, but it's immediate and permanent.
-Gazer Shark: Rank 5 from the GY, but you need another Level 5. Considering your Rank 5 pool, this would be great.
Dragon Ice and Cryston Rosenix are honorable mentions.

Altitude Knight: Triggering this one is gonna be a nightmare. I don't think the format is fit to have Compulsory, Spirits (Tsukuyomi, Otohime, Kynka-Byo, Inaba), a small amount of U.A. but maybe not, general bouncing FLIPs (Hane Hane, Penguin Soldier, Nightmare Penguin, etc), Madolches when destroyed (maybe Baaple), Shuffle Reborn, Beast Soul Swap (and similar cards), Monster Recovery, Storming Mirror Force, IDK... I went through 167 pages of cards at DuelingBook and it timed me out... had more ideas but I'm not sorting through that again.
Targets I found can include Symphonic Warriors, that alter each other's traits from the GY.
-Speedroid Three-Eyed Dice: Level 3 Tuner Necro Gardna.
-Wingtortoise: If a Fish/Aqua/Sea Serpent on your field gets banished, this self-revives or drops from hand. It mostly just has potential but there aren't many consistent good ways to do it.
-World Chalice Guardragon: discards itself to prevent targeting of pointed monsters, so Links have this support going for them, but in the Knight's use's case, Guardragon banishes itself from the GY to revive a vanilla in Defense Position, but only if a Link would point to it.
-Spore: It might be too good but another "fits the pool's support catalog so it is an obligatory mention.

Dawn Knight: No need to support its trigger. Any Tributing cost or any destruction will do the job.
A/D Changer, Electromagnetic Turtle, Tazuke Knight, D.D. Esper Star Sparrow, Disciple of the Forbidden Spell, Rainbow Kuriboh, Lightsworn Wulf/Felis, are all pretty ok targets, but now that I read that this knight is such a one-shot use compared to the others, some of these targets might not prove to be all that worth it.
There's also Kuribohrn and the Performages.

Armageddon Knight: No need to support its trigger either.
Bacon Saver, Necro Gardna, Relinkuriboh, Necro Defender, all are battle stun effects from the GY.
Zephyros the Elite is one of those cards that also help the WIND themed Knight along with Byser Shock and "Dark Scorpion - Chick the Yellow".

Archfiend of Gilfer can immediately equip itself, making support like "Falling Down" live. It also re-equips itself to something if you destroy the original wielder.
Tour Bus from the Underworld also dubs as a sort of D.D. Crow of sorts.

- - - - -
[spoiler=Other Suggested additions] 
I'd personally change the use of the old school Ritual supporters in favor of the "Impcantation" monsters. Candoll can be an extra shield with Thing in the Cratter if needed, Talismandra can be live by Lonefire Blossom, and they both 1 ) Restrain the Extra Deck while face-up and 2 ) Can be Tributed for Tribute Summons so you get access to high Level monsters if you decide to splash some Ritual vanillas in a build.

-I think your Level 2 Synchro could afford to be Formula, since a draw is harmless and the pool of Synchros is limited anyways. If anything, it'd give the user more chances of bouncing back.

-Your Rank 2 would probably rather be Gachi Gachi as a sturdy wall that gives good enough boost. I don't think a Rank 2 would be all that common so it's not gonna be a problem.
-Ignis is also kind of weak for a Rank 3. I recommend Alucard, Number 17, Leviair, Fortune Tune, Muzurhythm, or Melomelody, and to have something like 2 or 3 different monsters of the same Rank, so there's not too little or too many options to choose from.
-You don't have a Rank 4. My suggestions
Maestroke: Solid all around as a bulky cheap beater that flips stuff down.

Abyss Dweller: Counters the GY focus of other suggestions and ATK is manegeable while providing a bonus if used with WATER.

Ship of Corn: Counters Attribute Links and other destruction floaters.

Downerd Magician: Ranks other stuff up into itself as an extra option and pierces through the walls the format is making.

Merrowgeist: triggers WIND Knight and delays GY setup.

Papilloperative: Wall breaker/punisher that can trigger your flips.

Suggestions for the tutor support:
-Hyper Hammerhead: Takes advantage of my suggested battle protection devices.
-Lunalight Black Sheep: Searched by Tenki, searches Poly.
-T.G Warwolf: Easy Special Summon
-Shiba Warrior Taro: Tuner that doesn't die easily.
-Chron the Mage: S/T Removal with good stats, but not as good as Breaker.
-Pitch Black Warwolf: Trap stunner

-Indomitable Fighter Lei Lei: High ATK. Zero Gravity can help relieve drawback.

-Cybernetic Cyclopean: High ATK when you have no hand.
-Lunalight Crimson Fox: Something else that works with Darkworld Dealings, makes a monster's ATK 0.
-Silver Sentinel
-Amazoness Sage
-Cyber Gymnast 

Field Spells-wise. IDK why it didn't add Forest, Wasteland, and Sogen but in any case, I wanna suggest alternatives:
Lemuria and Legendary Ocean instead of Umi
Mystic Plasma Zone instead of Yami
Catapult Zone

Orichalcos

Fusions:
Beast-Eyes (Kumuri/Blackland Fire Dragon via Unexpected Dai + any beast, such as Great Angus the 1800 vanilla FIRE beater).
First of the Dragons
all the non-Extrio Synchro Fusions

Elemental HERO Gaia, Great Tornado, Nova Master, Escuridao, and Neos Knight (HERO vanillas make these possible).

It'd be fun to have Transmodify, and "Fusilier Dragon the Dual Mode Beast" and something like "The Big Saturn" or "Fiendish Engine Omega" to go with it.

That's all I've got for now....

I know it's messy, problem is. The immages don't work for me on this site. I've tried uploading on other sites and uploading directly but it just doesn't work.

My thoughts~

It is, haha. I want to add a lot of cards in the future.

I think instead of the old school Attribute boosters, you should use the Link ones.

Attribute Booster refers to the Equips, the Links, the effect monsters and the Field spells. As mentioned on the Yu-Gi-Oh! Wiki article.

My thoughts~

You have Synchros, but all Tuners are vanillas in your cube at the moment. This will tie in with how you lack incentive to run vanillas in this pool at the moment: I recommend you add "Unexpected Dai" It'll allow you to do stuff like bringing out a "Flamvell Guard" (Level 1 vanilla Tuner with 2000 DEF) to sit on or turn it into a Magical Android or Clausolas. It is tapping a bit into Special Summons being more of a thing, but not to the degree of modern Yugioh, and Extra Deck mechanics need this to be viable. It'd still be an unsure thing when you have effective consistent removal like the old Warrior toolbox and Raigeki Break.

Good point. I will add Unexpected Dai to the list. It's a fun card and even if everyone were to run it at 3 that doesn't really matter that much.

Also, I do have Rank 4's as there is a 2,6k non-effect one. But yeah, I'm gonna add more Xyz/Synchros.

All Normal Monsters and Vanilla Rituals with their respective Ritual Spells are legal and unlimited.

Not entirely true. Also all Vanilla Link, Fusion, Xyz and Synchro monsters

Also, I decided to banish Foolish because it breaks the GraveYard

Edit! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you for all the suggestions and general interest. I'm going to be adding a lot of cards tomorrow based on these suggestions but I can't do all of them now.

Archived