Goblin Wizard Pixel Art

goodfusion

iUqeLvl.pngVbHB96v.png?1

So, this is a character I made for someone's game. It's a Goblin/Imp minion that is summoned by the player to cast spells. The leftmost image is the minion in a grey bubble to highlight it, similar to how it appears in the game. I used the bubble to make sure I drew it the correct size. The feet are detached from the body because they are going to be animated to move as it walks, which the third image is demonstrating.

Overall I am really pleased with how this turned out, especially the shading. Making it clear that it's facing right and not just towards you was the trickiest part.

Cnc appreciated!

...is it facing right? The lighting, at least for me, is too balanced to imply a direction, although when I do focus on the head the combination of the eyes and ears do make at least that part aimed right. Not only that, but there seems to be a bit of dissonance between the light direction under the chin and that underneath the body, with the former seeming like the light source is coming from the top-right, and the latter with shadows thickening the other way.

Other than that, I think it looks pretty good. Gets the image across anyway. The red seems a bit too bright in the big pics, but doesn't stand out too much in the proper size sprites. The mouth is a bit too compressed in those small pics though; I wouldn't know how to fix it, but it's a small detail.

...is it facing right? The lighting, at least for me, is too balanced to imply a direction, although when I do focus on the head the combination of the eyes and ears do make at least that part aimed right. Not only that, but there seems to be a bit of dissonance between the light direction under the chin and that underneath the body, with the former seeming like the light source is coming from the top-right, and the latter with shadows thickening the other way.

Other than that, I think it looks pretty good. Gets the image across anyway. The red seems a bit too bright in the big pics, but doesn't stand out too much in the proper size sprites. The mouth is a bit too compressed in those small pics though; I wouldn't know how to fix it, but it's a small detail.

Thank you very much. I did a few edits to the shading on various places and I think it looks better.

6rNYRwN.png?1

z3kPho3.png?1

What do you think now?

You got a really distinctive style here, I like it.

Personally, I would've gone for slightly less bright tones of green (probably something like #47d875 and #45b268) but this advice is totally subjective. The lighting edits you made don't feel quite right, but you are definitely on the right track with them. Just figure out where your light source is, and work logically from there.

I decided not to bother doing any more work on the goblin since the developer liked the first version and added it to the game already.

Instead I've been working on something else: Some decoration to appear in the ground, like those shown in the screenshots below. I decided to make a large and a small ammonite fossil which I've flipped and rotated around a bit. You can also see the goblin as it currently appears in the game. Please note only the goblin and the ammonites were made by me.

TlPcQs5.png

I hid a few of them around the screenshots as they might appear in the game!

Archived