Icebreaker Dragon

The Nyx Avatar

My intention for this card was to make a Link 1 monster with a bottom arrow that anyone could use, but not one that would cause too much trouble. Which is why I tried to make the effect a +0 or -1. Made its material a Normal Summoned monster so that is not to just resort to Tokens. If you've any suggestions to changes on the card itself feel free to leave them.

0paiyJU.png

WATER

Dragon/Link/Effect

ATK:500

Link:1

1 Normal Summoned monster
Monsters used as material cannot activate their effects when sent to the GY. If this card is Link Summoned: You can draw 1 card, then discard 1 card. You can only activate this effect of "Icebreaker Dragon" once per turn.

Still ahead of its time, IMO. The strongest generic Link1 with a downward marker is the Ventriloquist Duo. Anything better than that would powercreep it. Wait for the game to take 1~3 more steps in powercreep and then this may be acceptable.

If you want to adjust it to the current times, then you can start by limiting its material requirements. Any Normal Summoned monster is broad, IMO. Think on the lines of Linkuriboh or Imduk the World Chalice dragon, which are limited to monsters with an specific Level and subtype, respectively.

That aside, the flavor can be improved. I see little association between ice-breaking and draw-and discard. I associate the latter more with LIGHT monsters due to Herald of Pure Light, Illumiknight and Goldrat. What I mean is that I would expect such effect on at least a LIGHT monster. However, this is optional and YGO can be random at times with associations between effects and attribute/Type.

Still ahead of its time, IMO. The strongest generic Link1 with a downward marker is the Ventriloquist Duo. Anything better than that would powercreep it. Wait for the game to take 1~3 more steps in powercreep and then this may be acceptable.

If you want to adjust it to the current times, then you can start by limiting its material requirements. Any Normal Summoned monster is broad, IMO. Think on the lines of Linkuriboh or Imduk the World Chalice dragon, which are limited to monsters with an specific Level and subtype, respectively.

That aside, the flavor can be improved. I see little association between ice-breaking and draw-and discard. I associate the latter more with LIGHT monsters due to Herald of Pure Light, Illumiknight and Goldrat. What I mean is that I would expect such effect on at least a LIGHT monster. However, this is optional and YGO can be random at times with associations between effects and attribute/Type.

Um...Clara and Rushka has an upwards marker.

Though I think I change the material requirements. Any you have in mind where generally anyone could use the card but not gain a boon from it?

Oh, my bad. Then the closest comparisons should be Linkuriboh and Imduk. Still, my point stands xD

IMO requiring a Dragon should be alright. The best play I can think of is using Collapserpent/Wyverburster for a +1 draw-then-discard effect and starting a Link ladder. Otherwise is a +0.

Oh, my bad. Then the closest comparisons should be Linkuriboh and Imduk. Still, my point stands xD

IMO requiring a Dragon should be alright. The best play I can think of is using Collapserpent/Wyverburster for a +1 draw-then-discard effect and starting a Link ladder. Otherwise is a +0.

How about this compromise? Keep the effect, BUT it has a condition that if it was Link Summoned using a monster other than a Dragon monster, it cannot activate said effect.

Imduk is also an upwards arrow. Not a downwards one.

IDK about that because then you can use it to make many Normal Summonable floaters float, namely Sangan. This aspect is what concerns me the most, not so much the 1-for-1 hand fixer effect. If it's limited to Dragons, the pool of cards it can make float is much smaller.

IDK about that because then you can use it to make many Normal Summonable floaters float, namely Sangan. This aspect is what concerns me the most, not so much the 1-for-1 hand fixer effect. If it's limited to Dragons, the pool of cards it can make float is much smaller.

Well, the whole point as to why I made this card is for generally any Deck to use. If I make the material just Dragon, it defeats the purpose as to why I made this card in the first place. The effect was just an afterthought. The fact that it's a Link 1 monster with a bottom arrow is my primary intention.

Well, we do have Link Spider and Linkuriboh for that (among other things), albeit those technically are more specific on what they need. (Not that it stopped Link Spider from being used due to Token spam though...)

Going with the suggestion, I suppose it's fine enough. The floater issue with Sangan and the like exists even with erratas, yes, but it's an unfortunate consequence of triggering. Another option would probably negate the effects of monsters that are used as material for this card so such an issue doesn't trigger (or more specifically, monsters used as material cannot activate their effects when sent to the GY). Cyberse Gadget + this comes to mind as another case for Link laddering / effect triggering. Will need to look at other specific examples, or if anything exists right now that can abuse the "draw 1; discard 1" effect. 

Danger! is something to be aware of that can trigger, however not sure if they would have room to tech this (or if they NS much).

====

Nice to see you trying your hand at Link design though, Nyx.

Well, the whole point as to why I made this card is for generally any Deck to use. If I make the material just Dragon, it defeats the purpose as to why I made this card in the first place. The effect was just an afterthought. The fact that it's a Link 1 monster with a bottom arrow is my primary intention.

In that case, blame me for holding a conservative stance, but I would prefer to wait until Konami does it first.

I agree with Darj on this one. Generic Link 1s just make it easy to send cards from the field to the GY and ladder quickly into cards like Skulldread and Borreload from tokens. There's a reason there haven't been any generic Link 1s so far, and so any card made this way probably should have a debuff if anything.

Well, we do have Link Spider and Linkuriboh for that (among other things), albeit those technically are more specific on what they need. (Not that it stopped Link Spider from being used due to Token spam though...)

Going with the suggestion, I suppose it's fine enough. The floater issue with Sangan and the like exists even with erratas, yes, but it's an unfortunate consequence of triggering. Another option would probably negate the effects of monsters that are used as material for this card so such an issue doesn't trigger (or more specifically, monsters used as material cannot activate their effects when sent to the GY). Cyberse Gadget + this comes to mind as another case for Link laddering / effect triggering. Will need to look at other specific examples, or if anything exists right now that can abuse the "draw 1; discard 1" effect. 

Danger! is something to be aware of that can trigger, however not sure if they would have room to tech this (or if they NS much).

====

Nice to see you trying your hand at Link design though, Nyx.

Pretty sure a Link 1 monster like this will come in the near future. But for now I'll oblige and add the effect/condition in an attempt to cease triggers like aforementioned Sangan. After all, it still accomplishes what I originally wanted with this card.

====

Danke

Archived