(My 200th topic thread!) Post your food recipes here.

Phelphor, of the Deep

I think I posted this recipe a couple years ago, but yeah. (Also another one)

[spoiler=Yakisoba (serves roughly 1-3 people)]

Note this recipe also works for chow fun or yaki udon (thank NHK for this idea).

Ingredients

2-3 packages of pre-packaged Japanese noodles (either ones designed for this, or I suppose use dry kind from Maruchan / Top Ramen, etc.)

Some form of meat (I usually use spam and leftover beef / fish, but figure out something for selves.)

Sweet onion (idk if regular one works, but probably should)

Green onion (You can either buy from grocery store or grow own in yard. I think they're called scallions in some parts of the US/elsewhere, but correct me if wrong.)

Bean sprouts

Vegetables (preferably grated carrots, cabbage, broccoli and so forth; I use kimchi in mine, but again, you can add whatever you have available)

Egg (optional; assumed that it is in omelette form)

It is assumed that you are cutting the vegetables / onions. Do not cut the bean sprouts.

Sauce

1/2 cup Kikkoman Takumi sauce (Can be substituted for any sauce you like)

2 teaspoons of chili pepper (I usually use Nestle Maggi one, but you can use other brands)

1/4 cup water.

NOTE: You may also use the seasoning packets from instant ramen if needed in lieu of your own sauce. It is also assumed that you premix this before turning stove on.

NOTE 2: Chili pepper sauce isn't necessary, but find something to season stuff with.

Prep Instructions

1. Preheat pan to Medium / Med-High heat. Adjust this accordingly based on the pan type you're using. Once pan is hot, add cooking oil.

(It is advised that you loosen the noodles before turning stove on or while it is heating. If making fried udon from frozen, then you need to microwave them first for about 3-4 minutes, depending on microwave or however you plan on doing this.)

2. Add the vegetables and meat first, then cook them for about 30-60 seconds. You should add the regular onions first to caramelize them. Green onions should be added near the end.

3. Add the noodles.

4. Pour the sauce max over noodles and mix well; coating everything. If stuff sticks to the pan, you may add a little more water. Do not pour a lot into the pan, or else it turns into ramen / broth. You want the liquid kept to a minimum or not soupy.

5. After everything is cooked well and everything is mixed, turn off the stove and move pan to other side. (You should have a large enough pan that can cover the grill of the side of stove you were using).

6. Sprinkle green onion over top and sliced egg omelette.

7. Serve.

Also I suppose this is something I've been doing lately after getting membership for Chef Zone.

[spoiler=Ahi poke (Raw seasoned fish)]

Pronounced "ahi poh-keh" (アヒ・ポケ); so think of Pokemon without the "mon" at end.

Some of you may have poke restaurants on the mainland, but I guess a home version if you don't have money to keep buying daily or want it on demand (roughly).

Ingredients

Raw tuna (ideally, you should use sashimi-grade tuna, but steaks are fine. I use the latter because cheap enough, as opposed to paying upwards of $20+ for a lb)

Shoyu (soy sauce)

Chopped onions (either regular / green work)

Sea salt (Preferably Hawaiian sea salt, but make do with what you got). Don't use table salt.

Other ingredients (i.e. ogo/seaweed [or equivalent in your area], chili pepper, etc)

Sesame oil (2 teaspoons)

(If you can get ahold of instant mix, which should already contain the sea salt and ogo, that's helpful. Otherwise, you don't need it too much, considering it does run for $4-5 for a small package [which is used for a pound of poke each].)

You can use other fish like salmon if tuna is not available. IDK how that tastes like, but you can do it.

Procedures

Wash hands thoroughly before preparation to avoid foodborne illnesses. This is essentially raw fish, so you must be careful if you have certain health problems or the risk of salmonella, etc exist.

(If you need to wear gloves while preparing, do so.)

1. Cut the tuna into 1/2 to 1 inch blocks. This will probably differ depending on the cut you have, but try your best. Place the cut tuna into a large bowl / container.

2. If you have poke mix (such as seaweed), cut the seaweed into bite sized pieces and sprinkle over the tuna. Otherwise, add chopped onions and sea salt to tuna.

3. Thoroughly mix the tuna and other "dry" ingredients in the bowl or container. (You can either do it by hand or shake it in a closed container.)

4. Add shoyu or other thin sauces over tuna and coat it. Add sesame oil over the tuna and mix it again.

5. Chill in fridge for about 2-3 hours for best taste. (You want the salt to settle into the tuna so you aren't directly tasting it.)

I don't have pics of either right now, but maybe later in the week when I do the latter. (I have a pound of tuna steaks defrosting in fridge right now; just have to prepare it and stuff.)

• 5 weeks later...

Archived