[SAST] Shiranui Skillsaga

t181003pc.jpg

業神(わざがみ)-不知火 Wazagami – Shiranui (Shiranui Skillsaga)
Level 5 FIRE Zombie Synchro Effect Monster
ATK 1900
DEF 0
Materials: 1 Tuner + 1+ non-Tuner monsters
You can only Special Summon 1 “Shiranui Skillsaga” once per turn. You can only use the 2nd effect of this card’s name once per turn.
(1) If this card is Special Summoned: You can target 1 monster on the field; change that card’s battle position.
(2) If this card is banished: You can Special Summon 1 “Shiranui Token” (Zombie/FIRE/Level 1/ATK 0/DEF 0).

Note: This card’s name could read as “Karma Deity” (i.e. Samsarasaga), but the Furigana reading it has is used to infer Skill/Talent/Technique, so it’s more of a Spirit/God of being Skilled/Shrewd/Mastering a Technique based on that.

https://ygorganization.com/theoldmanstillhasafireinhisbelly/

(I suppose this one got skipped earlier because pics weren't available or something, but w/e)

tenor.gif?itemid=4537095
Oh Shiranui Skillsaga, why do I hate you so. Let me count the ways.

• Is Level 5, so unless you're doing some weird sheet, you're gonna need to use Sunset and Sensei (which is also dogshit).
  • The on-summon effect is awful. Samuraisaga's position-change effect was already kinda bad, and Skillsaga has a way worse version of that. At least Samuraisaga's doesn't target, and can work on most monsters if you play your cards right.
  • On-banish effect is slightly better or slightly worse (somehow) than the on-summon, and I don't know which. You could use this token to make Splendidsaga if you want, but that also isn't that great most of the time. Or... Linkuriboh? But that's an extremely specific tech revolving around an awful card that revolves around another awful card. The best use I could think of for the token is using that + a Level 4 + Spectralsword to make Spiritsaga, but that's pretty situational.
  • Laughably low ATK for a Level 5 Synchro to make sure he doesn't make up for those shitty effects.
  • I already mentioned you're probably running Sensei to make this, right? It's worth mentioning twice because seriously Sensei is so bad.
  • Spectralsword in the background is in the exact same pose as with Samuraisaga. Feels lazy and uninspired, kinda like Skillsaga's effects.
  • YOU'RE RUNNING SENSEI TO SUMMON IT. Unless you decide to tech in like... Glow-up Bulb. But that's not worth it :|

The one "redeeming" factor in this absolute mess of a card is that its materials are completely generic. So I guess you could tech it in some obscure deck that can make use of these shitty effects? But you know who else has completely generic materials? Spiritsaga. And quite frankly I'm upset that it's such a bad card, because I love Shiranui and want them to have more cool toys to play with. Not Sensei 2: The Attempt To Make Sensei Even Worse Somehow.

I can't find a way to justify this guy's use over any of the other generic Level 5s either (least out of the pool of stuff that's actually still good) in other Decks. Unless, for whatever reason, you lack some way to soften the opponent enough to run over them.

Even if Shiranui got a Level 1 Tuner in-archetype (I doubt we're getting another Sword) to go with Spearitualist, wouldn't help this card anyway because it's bleh. Doesn't help its own Deck either (or enable stuff).

====

So yeah, I suppose this not getting its own topic earlier was due to the card sucking.

@@Yui I just wanna point out that the pose being the same as Samuraisaga... is because Sensei is an old man version of Samurai. Hence him being similar to, but weaker than, Samuraisaga.

Wait what? I always thought Sensei was Smith for some reason.

(Then Sensei dies and becomes Zombie Master)

Anyways, wow, yeah. This is really bad. It's like... the battle position change effect is pitiful, but hey, it works on Special Summon, but wait, you can only SS this once per turn. It's like they wouldn't let any part of this card shine. And that was with the assumption that battle position change is a good effect.

...which means it is ripe for being put into duel links.

Jokes aside, I'm just really hoping that they do make a level 1 tuner though. Not for the sake of making this, but for the principle of the thing. I've got a feeling that the short fiery sword thing (wakizashi?) that Samurai always wears will end up being a tuner. I mean, I assume it has a spirit too: it's the horse in Sunsaga, right?

Anyways, wow, yeah. This is really bad. It's like... the battle position change effect is pitiful, but hey, it works on Special Summon, but wait, you can only SS this once per turn. It's like they wouldn't let any part of this card shine. And that was with the assumption that battle position change is a good effect.

...which means it is ripe for being put into duel links.

Jokes aside, I'm just really hoping that they do make a level 1 tuner though. Not for the sake of making this, but for the principle of the thing. I've got a feeling that the short fiery sword thing (wakizashi?) that Samurai always wears will end up being a tuner. I mean, I assume it has a spirit too: it's the horse in Sunsaga, right?

1. Battle position changing really isn't that good, especially with Links existing (and obvious thing about them being unable to change positions). Most you can give it is that it isn't limited to a particular statline like Samuraisaga is, but that doesn't mean much.

2. If they do make that Level 1 Tuner, likely will be either before Spectralsword of Sunset or after Spearitualist (least by set lineup), though part of those slots before them are likely for the World Legacy stuff. But the latter part's better saved for another topic.

Might be that sword that is shared on Samurai and Spiritmaster's arts, but I have some doubts about that. (Other sword on Samurai is the original Spectral [for now])

Archived