[Legacy] Alchemy Deck (That is actually different from Anime and TCG)

kingofkingshf

(Updated 10/14)

New and improved Alchemy deck. Tried to implement suggestions by @@Dova. Alchemy cards are based on banishing cards, attaching Alchemy Beasts to your Chaos Distill, and bringing out Sabatiel - The Philosopher's Stone. Most of the cards have effects on the field AND effects while banished. For example, "Steel Lamp" not only brings out Salamandra, it also acts like a "Called by the Grave" while banished. Neato.

[spoiler=Monsters (9)]

H32k3yH.png

You can discard this card to add 1 "Chaos Distill" from your deck or GY to your hand. If you control a face-up "Chaos Distill", you can Special Summon this card from your hand. This card can attack your opponent directly. While this card is banished or attached to a card, all "Alchemy" and "Helios" monsters you control cannot be destroyed by battle.

500 / 500

4f8T0Kc.png

You can discard this card to add 1 "Chaos Distill" from your deck or GY to your hand. If you control a face-up "Chaos Distill", you can Special Summon this card from your hand. This card can attack your opponent directly. While this card is banished or attached to a card, all "Alchemy" and "Helios" monsters you control cannot be targeted by or destroyed by your opponent's Spell effects.

500 / 500

atCJkpr.png

You can discard this card to add 1 "Chaos Distill" from your deck or GY to your hand. If you control a face-up "Chaos Distill", you can Special Summon this card from your hand. This card can attack your opponent directly. While this card is banished or attached to a card, all "Alchemy" and "Helios" monsters you control cannot be targeted by or destroyed by your opponent's Monster effects.

500 / 500

DWDLhq5.png

You can discard this card to add 1 "Chaos Distill" from your deck or GY to your hand. If you control a face-up "Chaos Distill", you can Special Summon this card from your hand. This card can attack your opponent directly. While this card is banished or attached to a card, all "Alchemy" and "Helios" monsters you control cannot be targeted by or destroyed by your opponent's Trap effects.

500 / 500

z3XThXz.png

You can discard this card to add 1 "Chaos Distill" from your deck or GY to your hand. If you control a face-up "Chaos Distill", you can Special Summon this card from your hand. This card can attack your opponent directly. While this card is banished or attached to a card, all "Alchemy" and "Helios" monsters you control gain ATK and DEF equal to the number of banished monsters x 100.

500 / 500

GfOeKmZ.png

You can discard this card to add 1 "Chaos Distill" from your deck or GY to your hand. If you control a face-up "Chaos Distill", you can Special Summon this card from your hand. This card can attack your opponent directly. While this card is banished or attached to a card, if an "Alchemy" or "Helios" monster you control inflicts battle damage to your opponent, your opponent discards 1 card.

500 / 500

QnG8qYz.png

This card's ATK and DEF are each equal to the number of banished monsters x 100. If this card is banished (Quick Effect): Special Summon 1 "Helios Duo Megistus" from your hand or deck. If this card is Summoned, you can add 1 card that mentions "Alchemy" or "Helios" in its text to your hand.

? / ?

G9SnfmX.png

Cannot be Normal Summoned or Set except by tributing a "Helios" or "Alchemy" monster. This card's ATK and DEF are each equal to the number of banished monsters x 200. If this card is banished (Quick Effect): Special Summon 1 "Helios Trice Megistus" from your hand or deck. If this card is Summoned, you can Special Summon 2 banished monsters whose combined level is less than or equal to the number of your banished monsters.

? / ?

LE7DDav.png

Cannot be Normal Summoned or Set. Must first be Special Summoned with "Helios Duo Megistus". This card's Special Summon cannot be negated. This card's ATK and DEF are each equal to the number of banished monsters x 300. If this card was banished this turn, Special Summon it during the End Phase. This card gains ATK equal to the number of times it was Special Summoned with this effect x 500.

? / ?

[spoiler=Spells (14)]

25tVi3c.png

Any card you control that is sent to the graveyard is banished instead, except "Alchemy Beast" monsters. If an "Alchemy Beast" monster would be sent to the graveyard, place it under this card instead. If an effect is activated that would remove this face-up card from the field: You can banish 1 card attached to this card; negate that effect. If there are 6 cards with different names under this card: Special Summon "Sabatiel - The Philosopher's Stone" from your extra deck. This effect cannot be negated.

o06v6B9.png

Activate only while you control a face-up "Chaos Distill". Special Summon 1 "Alchemy Beast - Aretos the Tin" from your hand or Deck. If this card is banished face-up and your opponent activates a Spell card (Quick Effect): Banish this card face-down; negate the activation of that card and destroy it.

U8yVC0t.png

Activate only while you control a face-up "Chaos Distill". Special Summon 1 "Alchemy Beast - Ekenas the Mercury" from your hand or Deck.  If this card is banished face-up: You can banish this card face-down; Special Summon 1 banished monster.

diHaug6.png

Activate only while you control a face-up "Chaos Distill". Special Summon 1 "Alchemy Beast - Moonface the Silver" from your hand or Deck. If this card is banished face-up: You can reveal 1 "Alchemy Beast" card in your hand or deck; this card is always treated as the revealed card, also, attach this card to a face-up "Chaos Distill" card you control.

jzX4LUO.png

Activate only while you control a face-up "Chaos Distill". Special Summon 1 "Alchemy Beast - Leon the Lead" from your hand or Deck. If your opponent activates an effect that would remove a card you control from the field and this card is banished face-up: You can banish this card face-down; negate the activation, and if you do, destroy that card.

0IgfgE2.png

Activate only while you control a face-up "Chaos Distill". Special Summon 1 "Alchemy Beast - Ouroboros the Bronze" from your hand or Deck. If this card is banished face-up: You can banish this card face-down; add 1 card that lists "Alchemy" or "Helios" in its text to your hand.

KewbfsZ.png

Activate only while you control a face-up "Chaos Distill". Special Summon 1 "Alchemy Beast - Salamandra the Steel" from your hand or Deck. If this card is banished face-up (Quick Effect): Banish this card face-down and target 1 monster in your opponent's GY; banish it, and if you do, until the end of the next turn, its effects are negated, as well as the activated effects and effects on the field of monsters with the same original name.

eoopEl4.png

While you control a face-up "Helios" or "Alchemy" card, this card cannot be destroyed by card effects. Any card you control that is sent to the GY is banished instead. If this card is activated, you can Special Summon 1 "Helios - The Primordial Sun" from your hand or deck. Once per turn, you can discard 1 card; add 1 card that mentions "Alchemy" or "Helios" in its text to your hand.

xhihGDv.png

Banish 1 "Helios" monster you control. If a "Helios" monster is Special Summoned with the banished monster's effect, the Summoned monster can attack directly. 

Vy2eOuq.png

Activate only while you control a face-up "Chaos Distill". Special Summon 1 "Alchemy" or "Helios" monster from your hand or deck. 

NVquaGY.png

(This card is always treated as an "Alchemy" card.)
Activate only while you control a face-up "Chaos Distill". Banish 1 monster attached to "Chaos Distill" or send all "Alchemy Beast" monsters you control to the GY; draw 2 cards.

LtkIUWr.png

Banish 1 "Helios" monster you control. If a "Helios" monster is Special Summoned with the banished monster's effect, the Summoned monster gains 500 ATK and DEF and if it attacks a Defense Position monster, inflict piercing battle damage to your opponent.

D7fWMrr.png

Activate only while you control a face-up "Macro Cosmos". Banish all cards on the field your opponent controls in the same column as "Helios" monsters you control, also, after that, banish all "Helios" monsters you control.

d6bpC5s.png

Activate only while you control a face-up "Macro Cosmos". Select 1 card your opponent controls; destroy all cards in the same row and column as the selected card except the selected card.

[spoiler=Extra Deck (1)]

Aa4oe9z.png

(This card is always treated as an "Alchemy" card.)
Cannot be Special Summoned except with "Chaos Distill". When this card is Special Summoned, attach all cards currently attached to "Chaos Distill" to this card. This card's Special Summon cannot be negated. You take no battle damage from battles involving this card. Once per turn, you can detach 1 card to reveal 1 card in your hand, deck, or GY; this card gains the revealed card's effects until your next Standby Phase.

0 / 0

Side note: This isn't a big deal but it annoys me... I use "graveyard" in a couple places. The correct phrasing is "GY". Oh well. I'm not changing it now.

EDIT: (10/14) I just changed the summoning conditions for the Alchemy Beasts. You can now discard them to add "Chaos Distill" to your hand AND they can now be normal summoned.

Just a sidenote that because you opted for a new Type, I have to put this in Casual Multiples as Advanced does not cater towards custom mechanics, Attributes or Types.

Also yeah, you do have to post the cards in-thread as opposed to linking to Imgur or an offsite gallery along with having their stats/effects underneath. Don't make it harder for users who want to review your stuff.

Just a sidenote that because you opted for a new Type, I have to put this in Casual Multiples as Advanced does not cater towards custom mechanics, Attributes or Types.

Also yeah, you do have to post the cards in-thread as opposed to linking to Imgur or an offsite gallery along with having their stats/effects underneath. Don't make it harder for users who want to review your stuff.

Well it was either add '(This card is always treated as an "Alchemy" card)' to the top of every monster OR *gasp* add a custom type to make the card actually readable. I do want feedback on how competitive this deck is.

As for the imgur album, I can do that I suppose. The harsh contrast of white text on black background makes my eyes hurt so I figured it would be easier to read in card form. 

Well it was either add '(This card is always treated as an "Alchemy" card)' to the top of every monster OR *gasp* add a custom type to make the card actually readable. I do want feedback on how competitive this deck is.

As for the imgur album, I can do that I suppose. The harsh contrast of white text on black background makes my eyes hurt so I figured it would be easier to read in card form. 

The monsters are all "Alchemy" monsters though :v except the Helios ones. You can just say "Alchemy" or "Helios" monster when you want to specify both. You don't even mention the sub-type as far as I can see in their actual effects.

You can change your theme at the bottom left of the page. I use YCM Uniform.

The monsters are all "Alchemy" monsters though :v except the Helios ones. You can just say "Alchemy" or "Helios" monster when you want to specify both. You don't even mention the sub-type as far as I can see in their actual effects.

You can change your theme at the bottom left of the page. I use YCM Uniform.

Oh my god this theme is so much more legible. I don't know how to thank you.

You're right, I meant having to put "this card is always 'alchemy'" at the top of Helios cards. Apologies. I do suppose you're right about saying "Alchemy" or "Helios" monster. 

EDIT:

Hol up. Forgot the damn YuGiOh grammar. "THIS" with quotes is a card name but THAT without quotes is a type. That's my bad. I meant to refer to the type.

Well, stuff with quotes is either a name or Archetype. Things without it are probably Type or Attribute (albeit these are always in CAPS).

But as for the Imgur thing, a lot of users access this site via mobile (idk how easy it is to view multiple tabs on Opera, etc) and/or cannot read directly off the card. Also because Imgur is sometimes banned in certain areas, so without written effect text, members really can't see anything.

Time for the proper review to begin!

Firstly, let's drop by your Field Spell. Macro Cosmos is slow in the context of Helios...but you have to remember that it is currently Limited in the TCG. It's still powerful/annoying enough to warrant a banlist hit, so buffing it certainly isn't a good idea. Not without restrictions. Even if you added an effect that said "You cannot Special Summon monsters, except Alchemy monsters." people could still search this with Terraforming, do all of their plays, then activate this card to lock down their opponent. Yeah, being a Field Spell makes it so much more searchable, and adding two extra effects along with a repeatedly and activate whenever Helios/search....weow. I'd suggest reworking it from the ground-up.

Again, shame about the typing. I can see what you were going for, but all it does is encourage xenophobia, not allowing interplay with other archetypes. "or "Helios" monster" doesn't really add much text, but this is a minor detail. 

Instead of Chaos Distill utilizing that stacking mechanic and being all unique, why not just let the Alchemy Beast monsters go the GY? Do its effect if there are 6 in the GY with different names, and have the Alchemy Beasts apply their effects if they're in the GY or banished. Also, would definitely go with Xyz here, rather than Ritual, as having a Ritual in the Deck which is only useful with this card can lead to consistency issues, which leads us into...

Consistency issues. This deck is inconsistent as all hell; while you have one way of searching Chaos Distill, the card the deck needs to go off, that's not really enough. And no, Helios' lack of a "once per turn" on its on-Summon clause doesn't count, and shouldn't really even be there; really easy to abuse in combination with the Field Spell. Back to consistency, you have 6 main-deck monsters you need in order to pull off this Deck's wincon, and for each of them, you realistically need at least 3 of the normal Spells for each, probably more even with Albedo. And, other than that...no way to get your beasts, and no way to get out your Chaos Distill. Incredibly easy to brick, but even assuming you open your (unnerfed) version of Macro Cosmos, 4 of your searching Spells, discard 1 card with Macro Cosmos to grab Helios (again unnerfed) which grabs Chaos Distill, you only have 4 of your Alchemy Beasts on the way to your boss, and 0 cards in your hand. Oh, and your Helios has very low ATK while we haven't managed to get your Alchemy Beasts into your Chaos Distill. Let's not forget the choke points of A) being able to destroy Chaos Distill chaining to its activation, as its not on the field yet, B) negating its initial activation, C) removing it without destroying it ala ABC-Buster Dragon, D) negating its effect to Summon Sabatiel, E) negating any of the Helios monsters on their on-banish effects.

While Negledo is helpful, this Deck really struggles to get anywhere at the moment, so right now it's just a good card they can stare at in the distance. Would really suggest doing the Pot of Desires treatment to it, so you can only activate 1 a turn, as repeatedly drawing into them would just be annoying for your opponent.

I do like how your Alchemy Beasts do stuff when you "add them to the brew" as it were, but you do have some rather extraneous cards, with a lot of your Processes working only with Distill or late-game, but the Deck struggling to get there. Surprised there's basically no protection on your bosses, but your Alchemy boiyos handle that, so that's probably fine. Really hits the reliant point home though.

tl;dr you need more/easier ways to get to your boss and general speed/consistency as a whole, while toning down the power output of your bosses.

I know this guy did an EXTREMELY different take on the Alchemy Beasts, but I think they were very good, if not as faithful as yours. I'd suggest at least giving them a look to get some idea of how those sorts of cards would have to function the current meta-game.

- snip -

Thanks for the thoughtful review. I really appreciate it. I'll begin working on changes now.

First I do want to mention that the effect of Chaos Distill that summons Sabatiel can't be negated and Sabatiel's summon can't be negated or chained to. Inspired by Egyptian Gods. 

Yes, the early Helios cards are weak. But when they're banished, they're replaced with a stronger version and Helios Trice Megistus's summon can't be negated.

I think stacking under Chaos Distill is more lore-friendly than sending to GY. 

Other than those disagreements, you're right. Will make fixes and mention you when it's done.

First I do want to mention that the effect of Chaos Distill that summons Sabatiel can't be negated and Sabatiel's summon can't be negated or chained to. Inspired by Egyptian Gods. 

Yes, the early Helios cards are weak. But when they're banished, they're replaced with a stronger version and Helios Trice Megistus's summon can't be negated.

I think stacking under Chaos Distill is more lore-friendly than sending to GY. 

While having prevention of negation, just locking out your opponent of doing anything in response to your combos isn't an great practice, at least imo. Yes, I mentioned there are choke points, but the way I would deal with that is allowing the Deck to be able to do more things to get to their wincon. I also don't see where the negation prevention on Trice Megistus is.

Stacking is fine, tbh, just unusual. All I suggested was something that actually fits with in-game logic, but it only really matters in regards to rulings and where you want to put this section. Actually, here's another alternative that's even less lore-friendly: Pendulum monsters! Have them be placed face-up in the Extra Deck, and with Sabbatiel there as an Xyz, you can have it as the melting pot that Sabbatiel comes out of. A silly idea, but there it is.

Glad you found my suggestions helpful! I'd be happy to look at the set again when you've finished making changes. Sorry I was so harsh, but there was definitely room for improvement; surprised by your level of card grammar and basic design, though as it makes for a much better starting point than scratch.

- snip -

To be clear, did I have *GOOD* card grammar and basic design? Want to make sure I'm as accurate as possible.

BTW, Trice Megistus reads "This card's Special Summon cannot be negated."

Currently I'm working on ways to make the Alchemy Beast spells useful while they're banished. Alchemy is all about cycles so that fits in nicely with the lore. I've completely changed a couple cards as well. Here's a preview of "Bronze Scale":

Activate only while you control a face-up "Chaos Distill". Special Summon 1 "Alchemy Beast - Ouroboros the Bronze" from your hand or Deck. If this card is banished face-up: You can banish this card face-down; add 1 card that lists "Alchemy" or "Helios" in its text to your hand.

And here's Macro Cosmos. Made it a bit less OP:

While you control a face-up "Helios" or "Alchemy" card, this card cannot be destroyed by card effects. Any card you control that is sent to the GY is banished instead. When this card is activated, you can Special Summon 1 "Helios - The Primordial Sun" from your hand or deck. Once per turn, you can discard 1 card; add 1 card that mentions "Alchemy" or "Helios" in its text to your hand.

Finally, here's a new Spell card I'm working on:

Grand Convergence

ZuRL5WN.png

Activate only while you control a face-up "Macro Cosmos". Select 1 card your opponent controls; destroy all cards in the same row and column as the selected card (the selected card is not destroyed).

I got inspired by the artwork on that last card. iirc not many cards deal with rows and columns.

Alright @@Dova the new deck is ready. A lot of the changes I made were minor yet have significant differences on the game. For example, Macro Cosmos only banishes YOUR cards instead of all cards. I do feel it is best as a field spell. 

There are a lot of big changes as well but (and I hope I don't sound condescending) please pay attention to the grammar of the cards. Every single card has been tweaked in some way.

As always, I appreciate your feedback. 

Well, you've certainly upped the consistency...perhaps a tad too much, but let's start with the positives!

Firstly, I love what you've done with the Summoning Spells, by granting them that bonus effect while they're banished, a state that's both a little difficult to and easy to reach if you make the right plays. The perfect balance, imo. Technically, you can't give a Spell Card a Speed Spell 2 effect in the current game, even if they are Quick-Play, as Spells by default are Speed Spell 1, but this set is already in experimental with its Chaos Distill, so I'll just let that slide. With Silver Key, I'd suggest that it allows you attach directly from your hand to the Chaos Distill, as this Deck still isn't fast in terms of Summoning, and being able to re-use Key is a bit stronk. Also, minor grammar problem, but "If this card is banished" refers to the actual banishing of the card. The closest equivalent for you I can think of is "While this card is banished". Minor thing, but there you go.

Nice change on Chaos Distill to change the LP protection to detaching material, as that allows you to exchange your wincon for actually being able to perform it a bit later, and your changes on your Process cards are also pretty good. Would suggest a once per turn limit on activation on the draw and Summoning from the Deck ones, to limit the easy spamming and consistency cards. Still, now with all of these Summoning cards being pretty good, that leaves less room for other cards; I personally wouldn't play Kitolenic, as I would have no need with the high ATK I'd reach. Maybe 1 Rubedo, if that,

Your Alchemy Beasts are...weird. On the one hand, the Chaos Distill searching effect, while being a simple copy/paste that basically prevents you from ever not having said cards, despite anything the game throws at you, it discards, meaning if you want to get the monsters in your actual brew, you're going to have to run duplicates and risk not being able to recover one of them from the GY. I like it. On the other hand, not only are these Normal Summonable, not only do they SS themselves from the hand, but they have Summonable ways from the hand or Deck with the Spells. It seems like a bit too much, but considering this is a Legacy Set...what are you actually going to do with these monsters you vomit out? You're relying on your opponent to get them into your brew. Still, it seems far too easy to get this out at the mo'; first change would be only allowing your Summoning Spells to SS from the Deck, as these boys have an easy enough time from the hand. Secondly, I'd suggest each of them can only Special Summon themselves once (You can only Special Summon "" once per turn this way.), that way you can leave in the Normal Summon and not have to nerf it further.

I like this version a lot more than the first one, but it still seems a bit bloated, and I'm not actually sure how it's getting to the final brew wincon; the Trice Megistus one seems easier, though, and I like having multiple options to go with.

As an aside, you wouldn't negate Trice Megistus' Special Summon anyway; you'd negate the effect of Duos to Special Summon it from the Deck, so you might want to throw the protection there instead.

Archived