Freezy Seadragon

Guest BGMCANN0N

Guest BGMCANN0N

Freezy Seadragon
WATER
✪✪✪✪✪ (Level 5)
[sea Serpent/ Effect]
ATK/ 2000 DEF/ 800

(Quick Effect): You can send 1 WATER Monster from your hand or side of the the field to the GY; Special Summon this card from your hand. Your opponent cannot target this card for attacks.

[spoiler=Concept + Word Play]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leafy_seadragon
^
So it is suppose to be that only consisting of icy lobes instead of the leafy looking lobes. As for the effects relation to the Leafy Sea Dragon, it plays off the idea of camouflage hence why it can't be targeted by attacks.

Wordplay:

(Leafy Sea Dragon - "Leafy") + Freezy = Rhyme Substitute

[spoiler=Intent]Making a card that uses Atlantean engine in other ways besides using Mermails. Also, secretly a Gazer Shark target.

Reminds me of Dragon Ice, but it doesn't quite outclasses it since Ice can Summon itself from the GY. In a way it trades the self-revival capabilities of Ice for a more flexible cost and activation condition.

How about making it a Tuner for Needlefiber shenanigans? xD

Guest BGMCANN0N

Reminds me of Dragon Ice, but it doesn't quite outclasses it since Ice can Summon itself from the GY. In a way it trades the self-revival capabilities of Ice for a more flexible cost and activation condition.

How about making it a Tuner for Needlefiber shenanigans? xD

Yeah this actually was my way of indirectly paying homage to Dragon Ice. (Always hated how he was Dragon and not a Sea Serpent.)

Lol as much as I'd like to make it a Tuner like Rainbow Treasure Dragon..  I don't want it to outclass that since this thing is already more flexible in how it pulls off it's Summoning condition where as Rainbow you actually have to add him from the Deck or GY. I mean after all Rainbow Treasure Dragon is the first impactful Sea Serpent in a long time after Konami seems to be really careful not to break the Mermail- Atlantean engine.

Well, if the kid who originally made Dragon Ice's artwork drew it more serpentine [iirc that one was drawn by a little kid at the time], probably would've been a Sea Serpent. It's been a while since that thing showed up, but likely also had a Type field too; idk.

====

Back on track though, the card is fine for what it does, especially without the summon restriction so you can technically field multiples if needed. Not that you'll ever do it though, but it exists. Also yeah, not every card has to be a Tuner for Needlefiber (and we just got a new Level 5 one in SAST). Won't do as much as it, but it's there. Though if you did make this a Tuner, would also be eligible to make Ultimaya with Dragon Ice (albeit no free Synchros because of MR4).

Archived