Evapordrake

Guest BGMCANN0N

Guest BGMCANN0N

Evapordrake
FIRE
✪✪✪ (Level 3)
[sea Serpent/Effect]
ATK/ 0 DEF/ 0

At the start of damage calculation, if this card battles an opponent's monster: Send that opponent's monster to the GY, and if you do, inflict 500 damage to your opponent. This card can attack twice during each Battle Phase.

[spoiler=Concept + Wordplay]So it is suppose to be a sea dragon made of steam. Its effect relates in that the word "evaporate" also means to remove from existence. Its unique typing relates to it in that evaporation often takes place when a liquid is boiling or at least close to it when introduced to heat over period of time.

Wordplay:

(Evaporate - "ate") + Drake* = Indirect Rhyming Substitute + Portmanteau

* Drake as in the archaic definition meaning a dragon.

[spoiler=Intent]Solely flavor based... Nothing more. Though I am somewhat open to suggestions on the effect and stats.

Evapordrake sounds like a good name for an archetype, IMO.

I'm unsure about this card. It may look rather simple, but actually I cannot but compare it with Eater of Millions, the main differences being that this is Normal Summonable, has no ATK, and doesn't require you to banish cards to Summon it. IDK, it doesn't look like a card that should be Normal Summonable just like that. Maybe make it a Nomi or semi-Nomi and require to banish, let's say, a FIRE and a WATER from the GY for its Summon?

Guest BGMCANN0N

Ah there we go, a FIRE Sea-Serpent with a clever name!

It has the traditional WATER effect of sending cards to the graveyard without destroying, maybe you should give it the traditional FIRE burn damage, like 500-800 for each card sent to the GY via its effect.

The burn actually isn't a half bad idea: Gives him a bit more substance to work with being a 0/0'er.

Evapordrake sounds like a good name for an archetype, IMO.

I'm unsure about this card. It may look rather simple, but actually I cannot but compare it with Eater of Millions, the main differences being that this is Normal Summonable, has no ATK, and doesn't require you to banish cards to Summon it. IDK, it doesn't look like a card that should be Normal Summonable just like that. Maybe make it a Nomi or semi-Nomi and require to banish, let's say, a FIRE and a WATER from the GY for its Summon?

Hmm... Giving me a potential idea to detour away from this one XD

I think one thing to notice is that unlike Eater of Millions this thing isn't threatening by itself when your opponent decides to play it safe and leave an open field, whereas Eater of Millions can actually pressure your opponent into summoning things when it's ATK is tad high and LP are getting lower.

Also, Eater of Millions has the highest class in what I would like to call the "Removal Hierarchy" (Banish Face-Down> Shuffling into Deck > Banish > Send to GY > Return to hand > Destroy... Yes, the order can be debatable upon situations, but unarguably Banish Face-Down is the best way to remove monsters as it is almost a permanent solution in cases that don't involve Necroface and the likes). Sending is a good form of removal, but Banish Face-Down takes it a couple of steps further.

Another thing is that this can take up your Normal Summon when you don't want it to whereas Eater of Millions relieves you of using your Normal Summon by paying modest cost of a chunk your Extra Deck being at least 5 cards from it (Decks that usually use Eater of Millions tend to find the Extra Deck expendable anyways)

Now I do like the idea of the Summoning condition (banishing Fire and Water)  as it ties into the flavor, but because there are very little amount of engines that tie both the 2 Attributes together, except maybe our classic Fire and Ice Hand engine, it would probably be way too gimmicky.

Assuming you just added the burn effect at this point, card is worth running more now (though if you didn't have the burn on it, would've still been okay). Pertaining to the semi-Nomi conditions Darj suggested, probably better if it just remain the way it currently is (taking into consideration lack of FIRE/WATER engines that are worth it). Concerns about its ability to kill 2 monsters is understandable though. If you really want to incorporate a summon condition, maybe just send things from the Deck and you won't have to draw them. [That, or just have a "you can only control 1" clause, albeit what are the odds of having 2+ out).

At least it does get around monsters with destruction/battle immunity, so that much is nice.

You could make a compromise and take the Nomi/semi-Nomi idea in exchange of making it stronger, namely giving it an actual ATK value.

As for getting a FIRE and WATER in the GY, EDs, notably Links, make that task easier nowadays (e.g. Troymares), and if you wanna get competitive, Sky Strikers should have little issues with setting it up. Even Altergeist can potentially do so, as well (Hextia & Meluseek).

Archived