[AGM/Written] Terriform: Nekroz meets Triamids! (18/18)

Dova

Terriform

Welcome to Djinn Nekroz meets Tramids.

This DARK archetype based on fear itself is very Field Spell focused, with several different ones that it has access to . . . each with exactly 3 effects. Why 3? Because they also have a terrible trinity of Ritual bosses based on the grand-daddies of fear: Death, isolation, and fear itself. Each of these bosses has, as the first line of their effect text (except the whole Ritual Summon conditions thing), "This monster gains the (insert number here) effect of all "Terriform" Field Spell Cards in your Graveyard". Of course, this means that "Terriforming Entity of Inherent Terror" can (fittingly) Ritual Summon the other two bosses . . . because, surprise surprise, they have a Field Spell that can do that. Their archetype is actually surprisingly consistent, too, given that they have an Orphrys Scorpio, a Stratos, multiple pseudo-Shurits . . . And their Ritual Spells can banish themselves to search each other, and when they do, something else happens.

Then, of course, while the terrible trio are their big bosses, they aren't their only Rituals, and you get all kinds of powerful effects among them . . . including one that acts as a one-sided Necroface, taking away all the penalty of banishing your Ritual Spells.

Then, the Field Spells . . . utterly hate your opponent getting to play YGO. Stat boosts, protection, locking out the ED, standing in for Dark Law, Malefic World, Geartown, Chain Energy, automatically hitting each player with Card Destruction during their Standby Phase . . .

Do you fear power? Terriform breathe it. They feed on it. They love it.

[spoiler=Main Deck Monsters: (4)]Terriformer Phobos

DARK | ✪✪✪ | Warrior/Effect | 700/1300

If this card is Normal Summoned: You can banish 1 card from your hand; Special Summon 1 “Terriform” monster from your Deck in face-up Attack Position. You can only use this effect of this card’s name once per turn. Once while this card is face-up on the field (Quick Effect): You can target 1 Field Spell Card in your GY; activate it.

Terriformer Tromos

DARK | ✪✪✪✪ | Warrior/Effect | 1200/2000

If you Ritual Summon exactly 1 "Terriform" Ritual Monster with a card effect that requires use of monsters, this card can be used as the entire requirement. If this card is Tributed while you control a Field Spell Card: You can add 1 "Terriform" Spell/Trap Card from your Deck to your hand. You can only use this effect of "Terriformer Tromos" once per turn.

Terriformer Deimos

DARK | ✪✪✪✪✪ | Warrior/Effect | 1900/1800

If this card is Normal or Special Summoned: You can add 1 “Terriform” monster from your Deck to your hand, except “Terriformer Deimos”. Once per turn, if you control a Field Spell Card: You can target 1 Spell/Trap Card your opponent controls; banish it.

Terriformer Thanatos

DARK | ✪✪✪✪✪✪ | Warrior/Effect | 2300/0

If you control a Field Spell Card: You can Special Summon this card and 1 Level 5 or lower DARK monsters from your hand in Defense Position, but they cannot be used as a Material for a Summon. If another “Terriform” monster(s) you control is banished, except “Terriformer Thalmos”: You can Special Summon 1 of them. You can only use each effect of this card's name once per turn.

[spoiler=Ritual Monsters: (6)]Terriforming Entity of the Other Side

DARK | ✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪ | Fiend/Effect | 2900/1800

You can Ritual Summon this card with any "Terriform" Ritual Spell Card. This monster gains the first effect of all "Terriform" Field Spell Cards with different names in your GY. If this card is sent from the hand or field to the GY: You can banish this card and 1 Ritual Monster from your GY; gain LP equal to the number of your banished cards x500.

Terriforming Entity of Eternal Exile

DARK | ✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪ | Fiend/Effect | 3100/2600

You can Ritual Summon this card with any "Terriform" Ritual Spell Card. This monster gains the second effect of all "Terriform" Field Spell Cards with different names in your GY. If this card is sent from the hand or field to the GY: You can banish this card and 1 Ritual Monster from your GY; each player draws 1 card and reveals it, then, for each of them, if the card revealed is not a “Terriform” card, they shuffle 2 cards from their hand into their Deck.

Terriforming Entity of Inherent Terror

DARK | ✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪ | Fiend/Effect | 3400/3700

You can Ritual Summon this card with any "Terriform" Ritual Spell Card. This monster gains the third effect of all "Terriform" Field Spell Cards with different names in your GY. If this card is sent from the hand or field to the GY: You can banish this card and 1 Ritual Monster from your GY; Special Summon 1 of your other banished "Terriform" Ritual Monsters.

Terriforming Mastermind

DARK | ✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪ | Spellcaster/Ritual/Effect | 2600/2700

You can Ritual Summon this card with any "Terriform" Ritual Spell Card. If you control a Field Spell Card: You can reveal this card and 1 other DARK monster in your hand; draw 1 card. You can only use this effect of “Terriforming Mastermind” once per turn. Cannot be destroyed by cards or effects. Once per turn, if a Ritual Monster you control is targeted by an opponent’s card or effect: You can banish 1 card from your hand; negate that effect.

Terriforming Scientist

DARK | ✪✪✪✪✪✪✪ | Spellcaster/Ritual/Effect | 2500/2500

You can Ritual Summon this card with any "Terriform" Ritual Spell Card. Once per turn: You can banish 1 Spell Card from your GY; Set 1 “Terriforming” Spell/Trap Card from your Deck to your side of the field. Once during your opponent’s turn (Quick Effect): You can target 1 face-up card your opponent controls; shuffle 2 of your banished DARK monsters into your Deck, and if you do, negate its effects until the end of this turn.

Terriforming Herald

DARK | ✪✪✪✪✪✪ | Spellcaster/Ritual/Effect | 2200/2400

You can Ritual Summon this card with any "Terriform" Ritual Spell Card. If this card is in your hand: You can banish 1 other DARK monster from your hand; add 1 “Terriform” Field Spell Card from your Deck to your hand. You can only use this effect of “Terriforming Herald” once per turn. If this card is Ritual Summoned: You can target 1 of your banished “Terriform” cards; shuffle all of your other banished cards into your Deck, and if you do, add that target to your hand.

[spoiler=Field Spells: (4)]Terriformed Phobisphere

Field Spell

① Each time you activate a Ritual Spell Card or Ritual Monster’s effect, place 1 counter on this card. If you activate a non-Ritual Spell Card, negate its effect unless you remove 1 counter from this card when it resolves.

② “Terriform” monsters you control cannot be destroyed by your opponent’s card effects.

③ Once per turn: You can banish monsters from your hand or field, then Ritual Summon 1 “Terriform” monster from your hand whose Level is less than the banished monsters’.

Terriformed Hysterisphere

Field Spell

① If you control a Ritual Monster, all monsters your opponent controls that would be sent to the GY are banished instead.

② Once per turn, during the End Phase, shuffle 1 Spell Card and monster from your GY into your Deck or destroy this card.

③ “Terriform” monsters you control cannot be destroyed by battle.

Terriformed Anxisphere

Field Spell

① “Terriform” monsters you control cannot be targeted by your opponent’s cards or effects.

② Once per turn, during the Draw Phase, before the normal draw: You can reveal 3 “Terriform” monsters with different names from your Deck, your opponent chooses one for you to add to your hand, and you shuffle the rest back into your Deck, also you cannot conduct your normal draw this turn.

③ You cannot Special Summon monsters from the Extra Deck.

Terriformed Psychosphere

Field Spell

① Once per turn: You can decrease the Levels of all “Terriform” monsters in your hand and Ritual Monsters that are currently in your GY and are banished by 2 until the end of this turn.

② “Terriform” monsters you control gain 1000 ATK.

③ Each player must pay 400 LP to Normal Summon, Special Summon, Set or activate cards from their hand.

④ Activate only at the start of your Main Phase 1.

[spoiler=Ritual Spells: (2)]Terriforming Mantra

Ritual Spell

This card can be used to Ritual Summon any “Terriform” Ritual Monster. You must also Tribute monsters from your hand or field whose total Levels exceed the Level of the Ritual Monster you Ritual Summon. You can banish this card and 1 Ritual Spell Card from your GY; add 1 “Terriform” Field Spell Card from your Deck to your hand, except “Terriforming Mantra”, and if you do, you can send 1 Field Spell Card from your Deck to the GY. You can only use this effect of “Terriforming Mantra” once per turn.

Sacred Terriforming Systems

Ritual Spell

This card can be used to Ritual Summon any “Terriform” Ritual Monster from your Deck. You must also shuffle banished monsters into the Deck, the total number of which must equal the Level of the Ritual Monster you Ritual Summon. You can banish this card and 1 Field Spell Card from your GY; add 1 “Terriform” Ritual Spell Card from your Deck to your hand, except “Sacred Terriforming”, and if you do, you can add 1 Ritual Monster from your Deck to your hand. You can only use this effect of “Sacred Terriforming Systems” once per turn.

The Last Terriform

Ritual Spell

This card can be used to Ritual Summon any “Terriform” Ritual Monster from your hand, Deck or GY. You must also banish monsters from your hand or field, the total number of which must equal or exceed the Level of the Ritual Monster you Ritual Summon. You can banish this card and 1 Field Spell Card from your GY; add 1 “Terriform” Ritual Spell Card from your Deck to your hand, except “The Last Terriform”, and if you do, you can add 1 of your banished “Terriform” cards to your hand. You can only use this effect of “The Last Terriform” once per turn.

[spoiler=Other Spells/Traps: (2)]Terriformed Dome

Continuous Trap

When this card is activated: You can banish any number of cards from your GY; Special Summon 1 "Terriform" monster from your Deck with a Level equal to the number of cards banished. Once per turn, if you control a Ritual Monster: You can target 1 of your banished Field Spell Cards; activate it.

Terriformation

Normal Trap

This card can be used to Ritual Summon any “Terriform” Ritual Monster from your hand or that is banished. You must also Tribute monsters from your hand whose total Levels exceed the Level of the Ritual Monster you Ritual Summon. If your opponent controls a monster that Special Summoned from the Extra Deck, you can activate this card from your hand. You can banish this card from your GY, then target 1 of your banished Ritual Spell Cards; return it to your GY.

[spoiler=Design Notes]Wow, this archetype certainly...happened. It's been in the works for months, mostly because of all the criteria that need to be met in the prompt itself; double search from the GY, massive powerful Field Spells, a minimum of 12 monsters from the mentions of required effects, counterparts and the like. It was a real effort to keep the set from being overpowered, and trying to keep it as small as possible while not doing the bare minimum, but I think I've done a decent job. eventually.

You have a lot of searching, and a lot of consistency, so I balanced it with a lot of exclusivity. I tried to slip in some DARK or basic Ritual support here and there, but a loose screw here or there could lead to a simple, yet powerful engine. I even had to make our Stratos a Level 5, so he wouldn't be as consistent. Play towards Summoning the bosses, and making an impregnable field.

In terms of flavour, you have some basic main deck warriors acting as the servants to the main Terriformers. They're named after various aspects of fear and death in the Greek mythos, whereas the Rituals are rather more basic. Spellcasters for the slightly higher overlords, working to make a world where their masters, the Big Three, can reign supreme. Other than that, I don't find much room to delve into a lore or story without bloating the set even more, so here you go. Regardless...

CnC would be appreciated! :D

Hmm, the aesthetic design of this archetype is quite interesting. so lets begin with looking at the main deck monsters.

[spoiler=general notes]

overall I like the idea behind this archetype, it an interesting play on 2 mechanics that aren't widely used and I like how you made cards that want to be meta relevant (not saying that they wouldn't be or would be). Where I feel this archetype is lacking is in what it's Boss monsters were suppose to be, I feel as though as a whole the restrictions placed on these guys might have been too strong and could use some revision in order to keep them playable whlie still not being broken. like I said about the second set of 3 ritual monsters, personally would be playing those cards a lot more than the cards meant to be the bosses only due to the fact that they have activate on field effects that can help push towards a win. as for playability we need to also consider today's Ritual Spell support, as of now I think that 3 of the main deck monsters are 3 ofs due to their combo ability, adding in impcantations at 2 a piece that brings the total main deck monsters at 17m without adding in the ritual monsters. So lets add the 3 non-boss rituals at 1-2 a piece, this makes our total monster count without the bosses at 20-23. with the additional spells and traps I just find ti hard to play the cards mean to be the bosses due to the number of Field Spells, Ritual Spells(both archetype and impcantation if you play it), along with pre-prep, etc. I like the archetype as a whole I would just like to see more active effects for the boss monsters to help counteract the restrictions placed on them.

[spoiler=MD]

Phobos: ok stats for a level 3 but I guess that this card is more of a combo starter than anything else so that doesn't really matter. I like how it SS from the deck, not alot of archetypes have that so its nice that this one has the ability to quickly summon one of the rituals, as for the last effect, I don't quite understand it, while I guess you might want certain field spells in the GY or activated, I would think that you might want to add a "or if you do not control a Field Spell" condition too, for quicker access.

Tromos: I like this guy, personally I think that any good archetype should have a monster that can be treated as the whole tribute. I would assume that the player would usually go for this guy after summoning Phobos. the search effect is also really good as this card would be the primary tribute card to start your plays.

Deimos: Ah a monster searcher, and on Summon so I stand corrected this is the guy you'll be summoning off of Phobos's effect. already a nice chain is forming within the archetype allowing for easier access to Summoning out the boss monsters, which is definitely needed in a ritual deck if they want to keep up with today's meta. The spell/trap banishing effect is also nice, especially sense you can banish set spells/traps 

Thanatos: This guy seems like a win more card to me, which isn't bad it just seems like primarily the player will want to be playing with the 1st three as they all combo really well with each other. the 1st effect is nice but it to me is only a worse version of phobo's effect since it also negates effects, I would maybe change this to "and both cards cannot Attack" or be used as material or something like that instead, making Thanatos another combo starter. Its second effect is where Thanatos really shines and this is why I don't really like the 1st effect's conditions. Thanatos's real value in my opinion lies with this effect as you could do a play like so:

Ex. Thantos eff-> S Deimos-> Sr Tromos-> Ritual Summon w/tromos-> S Ritual and Tromos (With Thanatos Second eff)

this would allow the player to also go into their extra deck for any link Summons or more ritual summons courtesy of Tromo's effect. 

[spoiler=Ritual Monsters]

Other Side: so to be honest I don't know what to think about his guy. on one hand, this archetype does a nice combo with its main deck monsters so the player's ability to ritual summon isn't hard to pull off, I just don't know about how often the player will be able to pull it off after the 1st turn. and for that reason I just think that this card's effect for "Phobisphere" is extremely harsh on the player for what they get in return for Summoning this guy. I mean the ability to banish cards and reduce the levels of all archetype monster is nice, I just don't think that it should require such a draw back as the "Phobisphere" effect. The life point banishing effect is good too

Exile: This is a good ritual monster, the balancing effect isn't that hard to pay since ritual decks should be dumping spells in the GY and this could even combo with sky striker in a sense. The destruction protection and ATK boost is good, this can make up for any situations where the player might need to get over multiple monsters. the search effect is nice too see, personally I just like this kind off effect where its like pick your poison in a sense. its actual effect is really nice, I like how it makes your opponent shuffle cards back into the deck maybe though instead you could just make both players excavate to reveal so that your opponent would neg-2 instead of 1.

Terror: Oh boy, this is another card I don't know if I like or not. sense this guy would assume all Field Spell effects(while in the GY) the player could be in store for a lot more negatives than positives in my opinion. while there are multiple benefits there are just equal negatives in my opinion that could make this guy used less. its sent to GY effect is meh in my opinion, while yes it protects you from dying for a turn, it just feels weird on this card if its suppose to be a Boss monster, thats just my opinion though. 

Mastermind: ok so I like this next set of ritual monsters a lot. like more than the previous 3. Mastermind draw effect is nice as you dont loose anything as cost since you probably would end up summoning him anyways along with the other dark monster.the next effect is ok since you have protection on your field spells too. I guess this way you now that this guy would be destroyed for sure which is always nice. the effect negation is also great, this is why I think that this set is better, since their on field effect work better with the field spells.

Scientist: sorry but could you explain the wording on this card's first effect. it doesn't make sense to me, like the way I'm understanding it is that  you would Set a card from your deck and then banish it? the  negate a card's effect is good too.

Herald: Ah a field searcher and a recycler in one, this is a card this archetype definitely needed since up to now there was only 1 way to get the Spell/traps now you can also grab Field spell and not have to worry about which Spell/Trap you want with Tremos's effect.

[spoiler=Spells]

Field Spells: Im just going to review these as a whole to make it easier on me, overall each field spell is balanced in its own way and with only one restriction per field spell, each restriction becomes much more manageable. I like how you spread out different protection effects amongst the different numbers to help work coincide with your Ritual monsters. As I've already spoken about how I feel about them being in the GY with one of the ritual monsters on field I won't discuss it here. all in all, the only thing I would change about these cards would make be more effects that needed to be activated rather than just passive effects to help make up for Phobisphere's draw back. 

Ritual Spells: Your ritual Spell Arsenal is definitely not one to scoff at, being able to ritual summon to recycle is always nice. I also like how they float after being sent to the Gy in order to get more utlity out of them.

[spoiler=Traps]

Dome: while its cool that this card can Special Summon any archetype monster from the deck, I always prefer the requirement to be a monster or monsters with levels equal to the one you want to summon. the 2nd effect is really nice as it could help you from having certain field spells activated or in the GY.

Terriformation: I like the ulitiy of this card. with today's meta, relying on your opponent to summon a extra deck monster isn't that hard. Hystierisphere and other side combo well with this card as you could potentially make your opponent help you summon out a Dark Law.

Thanks for your input!

For the Main Deck Monsters, I've given Thanatos hard once per turn on both effects, and the second effect can only Special Summon 1 while the first effect only prevent materials and Summons them in Defense Position.

Inherent Terror only gets the third effect, not all effects. I don't think Phobisphere is that deadly as well, at least from what I see, considering this archetype doesn't have non-Ritual Spells (well, the Field Spells just go the GY anyway so /shrug) but I've added an an activating clause on Psychosphere to work with the first monster's downside. Do you think a monster that gained all effects would work well?

The "banish it" on Scientist was a remnant from an old effect; it's just meant to Set the cards.

I didn't want to make Dome too strong, and keep hard once per turn away from it, and as it is a Trap, I don't think it will struggle with the "cards" requirement. 3-4 cards isn't much, anyway.

As for the archetype as whole, you are going to have to find room for your bosses, as while you are right in terms of the rest of the archetype being so consistent...there's not really much else for them do other than go into the bosses. They don't really have a wincon outside of it, and only having 1 Field Spell to use at a time is painful. Also, with these Devirituals having effects that go in the hand, you can have much more than the basic ~20 monster limit, as your hands will tend to brick a lot less. HOWEVER, I will be looking into perhaps giving a slight buff here and there...it's just going to be hard without expanding the archetype, because as you've said, it's already pretty bloated.

Again, thanks so much for your review.

Archived