Maiden of the Tides + Called by the Sea

Bruteboii

ryL5ic.jpg

Maiden of the Tides
Continuous Trap

This cards name becomes "Umi" while on the field or in the GY. If this card is Set or in your GY: You can discard 1 card; Special Summon this card as an Effect Monster (Aqua/WATER/Level 4/ ATK 700/ DEF 2000) with the following effect. (This card is NOT treated as a Trap Card).
• !Once per turn (Quick Effect): You can send 1 WATER monster from your Deck to the GY; Special Summon 1 Level 3 or lower Aqua, Fish or Sea Serpent monster from your Deck. You can only Special Summon 1 "Maiden of the Tides" per turn.

Called by the Sea
Continuous Spell
When this card is activated: Add 1 "Umi", or a card that specifically lists "Umi" in its text (except "Called by the Sea") from your Deck to your hand. If "Umi" would be destroyed by card effect, you can send 1 "Umi" from your hand or Deck to the GY instead. When this card is sent from your hand or field to the GY; Draw 1 card. You can only activate this effect of "Called by the Sea" once per turn.

[spoiler=Design]A lot of old cards that reference "Umi "never really went anywhere, and Umi itself has a few iterations to allow for different approaches to combos, so here are two cards to try and bridge those potential decks, maybe get some cool plays.
With the new cards from Mako Tsunamis duels in a recent Duelist Pack, there are some nice bosses to run, but you need to get started.

Maiden is actually a retrain of Maiden of the Aqua. She's now a "Trap Monster" to abruptly appear from behind the coral for a surprise extra Summon. Being similar to "The Prime Monarch", she can return to the field from the GY. She herself has no protection or continuous bonus, but she can call for assistance from the depths. One small wave, and all that.

Called by the Sea is a searcher I thought was pretty fair, as "Umi" cards don't really have an archetype, they have a few monsters that benefit or only work efficiently with Umi, so why not pick them up? "Legendary Fisherman" now has a point blank searcher, as does the Maiden here, and bosses like Levia Dragon - Daedalus, and Neo-Daedalus. The protection effect helps thin your unwanted copies, and puts them in the GY where they can possibly be activated via "Sea Stealth Attack". Was a recovery for a small advantage with certain combos. The sea offers bounties, and here we get a card for the Calls farewell.
Making Called by the Sea NOT a hard OPT was deliberate, because there are archetypes that miss the hard OPT, and I don't think there would be any disgusting OTKs with a card like this (or any other issues, you know what I mean)

[spoiler=Play] I originally wanted to find a way to get "Levia Dragon - Daedalus" some use.  Daedalus and his upgrade have huge effects I'd love to see get played. Here, we could use "Foolish Burial Goods" to send Maiden to the GY, rez her with her effect, and immediately send, maybe, "Atlantean Dragoons" (plus when sent as cost, obvious play), and SS "Atlantean Prince", or "Atlantean Heavy Infantry" for the additional Normal Summon. I'm sure Mermail can do something, too. "Nimble Manta" can be SS for some shenanigans, while "Nimble Angler" gets triggered by being sent for Maidens cost to SS from deck, it goes on and on!

Looking at Maiden again, if I was to fine tune her for a maybe fairer play (there's possible abuse in Mermails here? If they'd consider it). Maybe for her effect to Summon another:
"You can send 1 Aqua, Fish or Sea Serpent monster from your Deck to the GY: Special Summon 1 Level 3 or lower monster with the same type as the sent monster from your Deck"? 
Means less variety in, and older Fish decks splash a couple Aqua and SeaSneks here and there.

I have worried to indirectly boost Mermail, a deck that has stood the test of time. I don't want to accidentally give them something that would get the card itself Limited/Forbidden, etc. I try to avoid that in all Customs. However, it might be balanced, considering it SSs Level 3 and lower? 

Let me know what you think :)
Thanks in advance!

Archived