Artificer/Artificed archetype

Renaiya

First time posting here in like a year or so. Forgot if I posted on this account or on another, well regardless I've been out of the creating cards scene for a while, so excuse me if my wording or balance is a bit rusty.

In any case, the Artificer archetype focuses on banishing their own cards face down. Using this as a resource, Artificed cards flip up those face down cards, activating effects and Special Summoning banished cards, depending on whether those flipped cards were "Artificer" monsters.

Artificer monsters generally have 3 effects: one that banishes itself during your End Phase, another that triggers when they are banished then Special Summoned, and another that reduces all monsters you control's ATK.

Artificed spell cards rely on you either controlling an "Artificer" monster, or revealing an "Artificer" monster in your hand. They can either set up plays, like "Artificed Resurrection" , or utilise resources on your field to activate powerful effects, such as "Artificed Unraveling".

The boss monster of the deck is "Artificed Soulshredder", which has a powerful self-protection effect where if it has an "Artificer" card as Xyz Material, it cannot be removed from the field. It also negates the ATK reducing effects of your "Artificer" monsters, making them have a large original ATK for their level.

It also can flip your banished cards face down, allowing cards which rely on flipping your face down banished cards face up to activate their effects to be reusable, such as "Artificed Resurrection" and "Artificed Soulshredder"'s own effect - which is a mini "Artificed Resurrection" that can be used at the cost of 1 Xyz Material.

Okay, that was quite a long introduction. Time to get into the cards.

Monsters:

Ashflare Artificer

Fire Attribute Level 3 Spellcaster/Effect ATK/2000 DEF/1000

If you control this face up card during your End Phase: Banish it. If this banished card is Special Summoned; You can banish 3 cards from the top of your Deck face down, and if you do, you can Special Summon those banished cards, if they were "Artificer" monsters. Monsters Special Summoned this way have their effects negated, also they lose 800 ATK. You can only use this effect of "Ashflare Artificer" once per turn. While this card is face up on your side of the field, monsters you control lose 500 ATK.

https://imgur.com/cO8C2rf

Ashflare was the first card from this archetype i designed. If Ashflare hits 3 monsters, it allows you to go into 2 R3NK plays (such as Soulshredder). If you hit Lightflare Artificer with Ashflare's effect, you could go into Trishula as all the Artificer monsters are level 3. However, all the monsters summoned by Ashflare lose 1300 ATK, rendering them rather useless without going into an Extra Deck monster.

*I changed Ashflare's summoning effect to be limited to the archetype as it used to be generic (which might make it broken). At the time of designing the card, I didn't notice that.

Lightflare Artificer

Light Attribute Level 3 Spellcaster/Tuner/Effect ATK/1900 DEF/1000

If you control this face up card during your End Phase: Banish it. If this banished card is Special Summoned; You can banish 3 cards from the top of your Deck face down, and if you do, you can flip all your bainshed cards face up, then you can Special Summon 1 banished "Artificer" monster. You can only use this effect of "Lightflare Artificer" once per turn. While this card is face up on your side of the field, monsters you control lose 500 ATK, also other monsters you control cannot have their ATK changed by effects, except "Lightflare Artificer"

https://imgur.com/96uKBD3

When designing Lightflare, I was planning on making a Synchro being the boss monster of the deck, but that ended up not being the case (although I may add one later down the line). She is the only Artificer tuner, which makes level 6 and 9 Synchro plays possible. Lightflare's on-summon effect allows you to Special Summon one fo your banished Artificer monsters, allowing that monster to then trigger its own on-summon effect, however you must also flip all of your face-down banished cards, meaning that "Artificed Resurrection" becomes a dead card. Note that you do not need to have any face down banished cards to resolve Lightflare's effect. Lightflare is also a 1 card Soulshredder, whic allows you to pay LP to continue your plays with Resurrection.

*Changed Lightflare's effect to no longer negate the monster's effects that she summons. Initially, I intended that monster's "reducing ATK" effect to be negated, not the on-summon effect, as Lightflare was designed to be an extender.

Psychflare Artificer Dark Attribute Level 3 Spellcaster/Effect ATK/2100 DEF/1000

If you control this face up card during your End Phase: Banish it. If this banished card is Special Summoned; You can banish 3 cards from the top of your Deck face down, and if you do, you can banish up to 2 random cards your opponent controls, face down. You can only use this effect of "Psychflare Artificer" once per turn. While this card is face up on your side of the field, monsters you control lose 500 ATK.

https://imgur.com/5Uj2QFN

Psychflare is basically the removal of the deck (aside from Artificed Unraveling). Doesn't do much for the deck, but it's there to remove some of your opponent's cards. It also has 2100 ATK, meaning when you control Soulshredder it serves as a mediocre beatstick.

* I don't actually know how "random" works, it's sort of experimental, but I wanted it's destruction effect to be very powerful, but chaotic (to reflect the artwork and the nature of the deck). Mabye use the randint() function on a calculator and assign a value to each of your opponent's cards? 

Solarflare Artificer Fire Attribute Level 3 Spellcaster/Effect ATK/2100 DEF/1000

If you control this face up card during your End Phase: Banish it. If this banished card is Special Summoned; You can banish 3 cards from the top of your Deck face down, and if you do, you can banish 1 "Artificer" monster in your Deck. During your End Phase, Special Summon 1 of your banished "Artificer" monsters in face-down Defense Position. If that card is flipped face up, you can return this banished card to your hand. You can only use this effect of "Solarflare Artificer" once per turn. While this card is face up on your side of the field, monsters you control lose 500 ATK.

https://imgur.com/C6xYXdU

Solarflare keeps your board presence up during your opponent's turn - that's all he was designed to do. I don't really know what I can comment on really, I guess his on-summon effect reccurs him to the hand when the monster Special Summoned by his effect gets flipped face up. Doesn't do much for your combos as his effect triggers during your End Phase, and the monster that was Special Summoned is summoned in face-down defence, meaning it's on-summon effect isn't triggered.

It is a 2100 ATK beatstick when you control Soulshredder, so it's fine I guess.

* Something to note is when initially writing up this card I forgot half of the clauses and his "reduce ATK" effect. So yeah, they are added in the written version now.

Artficed Soulshredder Dark Attribute Rank 3 Machine/Xyz/Effect ATK/2400 DEF/1000

2 or more level 3 monsters, including an "Artificer" monster

You can flip all of your banished cards face down; take damage equal to the amount of cards you flipped face down x 300. If this card has an "Artificer" monster as Xyz Material, this card cannot be removed from the field. Once per turn, you can detach 1 Xyz Material; flip up to 5 of your face down banished cards face up, and if 1 or more of those cards were "Artificer" monsters, you can Special Summon 1 of those "Artificer" monsters. While you control this face up card, your monsters' ATK cannot be changed by card effects.

https://imgur.com/xp2sq6w

Soulshredder is the boss monster of the deck and can be summoned with the greatest of ease, providing you have triggered one of your "Artificer" monsters' on-summon effects - which may be hard to accomplish due to the fact that Resurrection is pretty much the only way to trigger the combo chain, outside of Soulshredder itself. However, Soulshredder only requires one of its Xyz Materials to be an Artificer monster, so level 3 monsters that summon other level 3's (such as Tour Guide from the Underworld) may prove to be useful in this deck (as Artificer monsters banish themselves at the end of your turn). Soulshredder,s impressive self protection effect means the only way to out it is to negate its effects or by flipping it face down. then destroying it using a card effect while it is face down. (Kaijus and similar can't out it because it can't be removed from the field while it's face up - Tributing it would remove it from the field). Its first effect is useful as it can make potentially dead cards like Resurrection live again, and it also can fuel its own third effect - which is to detatch an Xyz Material to use a mini Resurrection effect, which can ignite a combo chain (if you are lucky, that is). Finally, Soulshredder's last effect negates all of your Artificer's "reduce ATK" effects, making your board not completely useless.

Spell Cards:

Artificed Resurrection Quick-Play Spell Card

Pay 1000 LP and reveal 1 "Artificer" monster in your hand; flip up to 10 of your face down banished cards face up, then if at least 2 of them were "Artificer" monsters, you can Special Summon 1 of those monsters. If that card would be banished by its own effect, you can add it to your hand instead. You can manish this card in your GY; add 1 "Artificer" or "Artificed" card, except "Artificed Resurrection" from your Deck to your hand. You can only use this effect of "Artificed Resurrection" once per turn.

https://imgur.com/oDvjT9o

Resurrection is the combo starter of this deck - without it you're going to find it hard to start up your plays and summon Soulshredder. By it being a Quick Play, you are able to use it on your opponent's turn to summon Ashflare to create board presence, or to summon Psychflare to banish your opponent's cards. Those Special Summoned cards, if not destroyed on your opponent's turn, will stay on the field until your next End Phase meaning you are able to go into Soulshredder on your turn if your opponent fails to clear through all of them. The second effect of Resurrection is a search for the entire deck (except itself), which is great as it allows to search for Unraveling - making a incredibly powerful board wipe searchable. However, Normal Summoning Artificer monsters is kind of pointless as all their positive effects only trigger when they are banished then Special Summoned, making searches for Artificer monsters a lot weaker than for other archetypes. Still, Resurrection is a core card of the strategy as it is the only way to start up a combo (besides Soulshredder) within the archetype.

* Yes I misspelt Resurrection. rip too late now

Artificed Unraveling Quick-Play Spell Card

If you control a face up "Artificer" monster, activate one of these effects:

• Banish 1 "Artificer" monster you control; draw 2 cards.

• Banish 1 "Artificer" monster you control; add 1 "Artificer" or "Artificed" card to your hand from your Deck, except "Artificed Unraveling".

• Banish all cards on the field. Your opponent cannot take damage this turn, also they draw 2 cards.

https://imgur.com/UlrCn9e

Unraveling is the multi-purpose pseudo-Trap card in the archetype. Since it is a Quick Play, it's cost of banishing an Artificer monster you control can actually be used to dodge battles and card effects to give you advantages, such as drawing cards or searching out the entire archetype (Resurrection can be searched this way), or wiping the entire field.

* Nerfed the board wipe effect a LOT as it was really broken before.

Other cards that have interesting interactions:

Pot of Desires

Banish 10 face down for a +1 - in this deck most of the time you'll want cards to be banished face-down anyways, so you aren't losing anything. In fact, can be used in conjunction with Resurrection to start the combo.

Dimension Gate

Amazing trap card that can be activated when your opponent crashes into your face-down Artificer monster. Triggers the on-summon effect without relying on the archetypal methods such as Resurrection and Soulshredder. + you get your monster back too when Dimension Gate is destroyed, practically ensuring a Leviair/Soulshredder play next turn.

Leviair the Sea Dragon

Card that was effectively made for this deck. R3nk play that extends your plays further via a non-RNG method. Doesn't require Artificer monsters to summon unlike Soulshredder, so other R3NK engines can make this and start up your Artificer combo for Soulshredder.

D.D.R Different Dimension Reincarnation

At the cost of discarding a card, triggers one of your face up banished Artificer monster's on summon effect - making it a 2 card Soulshredder in most cases.

+ tons of other cards but I haven't mentioned here

In any case, please leave feedback on what I have done right with the archetype and/or what I should improve to make it work better/be more balanced. Really appreciate it if you've read the whole way through - it was a real joy to make (and less so to write up, but it had to be done!), so I hope you enjoyed reading and evaluating this archetype.

Peace out (for now), Ren ~

Ashflare: this card effect doesn't make sense since how you know you banish any Artificer Monster if you wanna specifically special summon it when it got banished face-down first effectively being prevented as public knowledge? the summon effect is still dangerous though even as you balance it to only summon its fellow archetypes its still an up to 4 mat generator that way easy to trigger and the mat can be used on practically everything like Knightmares, Gumblar , Borrels and the sort.

Lighflare: the banish face-down part of this effect is redundant since you change it to face up anyway. the summon effect its clearly to domino your way into the other monster to summon frenzy the field

Psychflare: i can't really agree with Double, no-targeting, banish out of easy to summon level 3

Solarflare: the weakest member. although it has nice archetypal Foolish Burial-esque effect, way to reactionary and the monster you summon is more likely used as battle way than mat to push board presence but that is your intention from the start and given the other member is really strong i let it slide for now

Soul Shredder: 1st effect is useless since you already have detach effect that has better additional utility without risk of taking any damage. 2nd effect being irremovable is vague if not OP.

Resurrection: power starter with same turn search. synergy with Desire is too obvious i personally advise to lessen the number since 10 is way to broad might as well you make it flip all which at taht point is way forced to worked

Unraveling: seems like OTK and/or win-more card than anything. again any banish that remove more than 2 cards is dangerously powerful with no meaningful restriction to match. and NO i dont consider the damage prevention and opponent draw 2 is proper for it

Archived