Report Stats

This is just begging for people to get pissy over "you reported my post? listen here you lil sheet", thinking they have credible reason to sheet on a section if it has significantly higher reports than other sections, and more. It's a terrible idea that will cause more harm than the negligible-at-best good it could ever conceivably do. It also gives the mods pretty pointless work in additional bookkeeping.

Maybe the section part I wouldn't mind saying but the rest sounds like needless witch hunting.

This is really my issue. I freely admit to reporting far too often, but given that there's already been controversy about the mods singling people out, having these detailed reports just feels like it would be just as bad. This would just be changing who is getting singled out.

This is just begging for people to get pissy over "you reported my post? listen here you lil sheet", thinking they have credible reason to sheet on a section if it has significantly higher reports than other sections, and more. It's a terrible idea that will cause more harm than the negligible-at-best good it could ever conceivably do. It also gives the mods pretty pointless work in additional bookkeeping.

It serves no purpose other than to try "outing" people as snitches. That's it. All this will accomplish is giving people more ammunition to harass others with.

This is really my issue. I freely admit to reporting far too often, but given that there's already been controversy about the mods singling people out, having these detailed reports just feels like it would be just as bad. This would just be changing is who is getting singled out.

We appreciate that you're using the Report button like you're supposed to, though.

But other than that, pretty much agreed on that report stats basically single out members / certain areas and make matters worse than they already are.

Right, but given that reports aren't wrong to do, I'm not sure what hostility you think would happen. It would help repeat offenders realize where they're getting in trouble to avoid those situations 

People here have said that saying where people are being reported, even saying what reports have been about isn't an issue; it's just naming names, associating them with reports, then publicly revealing them for both the reporters and the reportees creates needless hostility. Isn't one of the key boons of reports is that they are anonymous?

Saying who is being reported isn't as much of an issue as saying who is doing the reporting, but surely moderators could just privately repeat offenders if something is becoming an issue, or the latter messaging the former if they're wondering where they're getting all these new warning points? It saves singling out people for no reason other than to be looked down on or tighten other users' trigger fingers.

People here have said that saying where people are being reported, even saying what reports have been about isn't an issue; it's just naming names, associating them with reports, then publicly revealing them for both the reporters and the reportees creates needless hostility. Isn't one of the key boons of reports is that they are anonymous?

Saying who is being reported isn't as much of an issue as saying who is doing the reporting, but surely moderators could just privately repeat offenders if something is becoming an issue, or the latter messaging the former if they're wondering where they're getting all these new warning points? It saves singling out people for no reason other than to be looked down on or tighten other users' trigger fingers.

That's fine, where and what is a great step. Who doesn't really matter. You can guess anyway

If a mod posts in a thread or a status telling you that something is a problem, you already have your where and what. What more could you want?

More global stats. Like did the mod also warn the person I'm arguing with? The only information I'm giving is a partial revelation, which isn't conducive to improving the section. If you're worried that people are gonna get witch hunted (like c'mon roxas, everyone knows you report the sheet out things, and knowing that hasn't really changed your behavior, so not sure what you're worried about), the who isn't needed. 

More global stats. Like did the mod also warn the person I'm arguing with? The only information I'm giving is a partial revelation, which isn't conducive to improving the section. If you're worried that people are gonna get witch hunted (like c'mon roxas, everyone knows you report the sheet out things, and knowing that hasn't really changed your behavior, so not sure what you're worried about), the who isn't needed. 

Why is it important to know if the person you're arguing with was warned?

Helps identify what kinda behavior is being punished. It's information the mods will tell you anyway, I'm just asking for it to be made public

The mods already do this. They state when behavior is inappropriate, give a heads-up that repeat offenses will result in formal punishments such as warning points, and state when they do give out those warning points.

The mods already do this. They state when behavior is inappropriate, give a heads-up that repeat offenses will resort in formal punishments such as warning points, and state when they do give out those warning points.

Not gonna give out specifics, but I stand by what I said. They will tell you in PM if you press them. They don't necessarily do it in public. Who filed the report isn't as important as who the report was filed on

This is sounding increasingly petty and I see no reason to do it.

I'm confused now, Roxas made his point clear why he doesn't think names of people who report should be released. I disagree, but fine, I was talking more about the section stats and public detailing of why people get warned. YCMs rules are still way too nebulous and give mods a lot of wiggle room. 

iirc you and black partially got elected on a platform opposing these catch all punishments

Winter there is absolutely zero point in slut shaming folks for doing the right thing. Because doing so would deter people from the act if they know we’d have to tell people who reported what. I mean I understand why you specifically would be so dogged about this, considering how often you get reported.

But here’s something: Instead of asking who’s reporting you, stop doing reportable things.

Winter there is absolutely zero point in slut shaming folks for doing the right thing. Because doing so would deter people from the act if they know we’d have to tell people who reported what. I mean I understand why you specifically would be so dogged about this, considering how often you get reported.

But here’s something: Instead of asking who’s reporting you, stop doing reportable things.

Did you even read the above post? I'm literally not asking for you to post who reports etc. I'm asking you post general stats like "this post was warned for x reason" in public. If anyone is getting slut shamed by that it's me. I would like to nail you guys down to a firm set of rules so you guys don't take liberties.

3 mods in a row, don't read, and make assumptions, sad

Can we have like a monthly mod post on report stats?

Who reports the most, which sections get the most reports, breakdown on reports based on flaming/spam etc. If Mods acted on said reports?

Think of it like the police transparency

Yes you did ask us for who reports the most. The bold literally can’t be interpreted any other way except “Tell us who’s the biggest tattletale”.

Yes you did ask us for who reports the most. The bold literally can’t be interpreted any other way except “Tell us who’s the biggest tattletale”.

Read the thread, Roxas and people before him made a case why that would be bad. I don't fully agree, but that's not the important ask so I'm happy to concede it. 

Does everyone just read the first post and dip out?

It actually did go pretty well, also times have changed since the Draco Winter days, we have a more libertarian mod team now

youre_serious_futurama.gif

That did not go well. It was needless drama blown out of proportion that would never have been an issue at all if the OP had just PM'd a mod about their issue and/or wrote it in plain, regular English instead of sharing your habit of thinking of YCM and the mod team respectively as a small nation and police/government system (which is why your comparison to "police transparency" is ridiculous, while we're briefly talking about that). I'd argue the mod team hasn't changed since then and that it's only the literally two vocal mods (Black and Cow) that are the outliers from the norm, but I can't see what goes on behind the scenes.

Now, let's say this actually happens. Which it won't, but I'll indulge you. Stats on who gets reported and for what reason become public. Problem members who should be fully aware they're problem members in the first place now have their name publicly hung up on the wall of shame, so everyone can see Winter can't keep it civil in Debates, Enguin can't stop spamming/harrassing people, Mido's on a relapse from his old habits posting borderline-NSFW content on the status bar, and more. What does anyone gain from this, other than reasons to sheet on one another (as if we didn't make up enough already)? What could possibly be so different from just reading the PM one gets with their warn that we have to implement this?

Archived