Report Stats

It would also mean, the mods can't come up with horseshit excuses to give out warning points. Like most recently calling someone retarded is abuse when both parties admit neither was offended. 

It is designed to force the  mods to play by the rules. And as for Draco's idea, it drop out of usage and wasn't consistently done. I know this for a fact cuz Draco and I got warning pts that weren't publicly noted 

For example to your concern about the trouble makers. It's more likely to make people wonder...did Winter really deserve 2 warning pts for calling some unamerican? Is Proto calling winter a dumbass really "abuse" rather than *winter sinks into a great depression now that everyone knows what they already knew, he's opinionated*

The argument here is that the transparency will help repeat offenders know what sort of behavior to refrain from, but I'll repeat what you had said to me on the previous page: "Knowing that hasn't really changed your behavior."

Offering these stats is not going to mitigate offensive behavior; it's just going to give people more information that they were already going to ignore anyway.

The argument here is that the transparency will help repeat offenders know what sort of behavior to refrain from, but I'll repeat what you had said to me on the previous page: "Knowing that hasn't really changed your behavior."

Offering these stats is not going to mitigate offensive behavior; it's just going to give people more information that they were already going to ignore anyway.

I said that in reference to knowing who was reporting. Everyone knows you're the most prolific reporter on the site, and that hasn't scared you off from reporting or anything. 

I said that in reference to knowing who was reporting. Everyone knows you're the most prolific reporter on the site, and that hasn't scared you off from reporting or anything.

I know that, because reporting is not a problem in and of itself. Unless it's Comic Book Resources, where I was banned just for reporting someone who was harassing people. I'm not scared off from reporting because I have seen the dumbest that a moderation team on another forum has to offer, and I trust the team here as a whole to be better than CBR bending over backwards to protect an abuser.

There is a underlying logic to your comment, which is that knowing something isn't going to discourage certain behaviors. While you did mean that in reference to my reporting, I think it's just as true about being reported. You said that knowing what behavior is reported and punished can help repeat offenders understand that they could refrain from that. However, when you are punished or even just chastised for your behavior, you will more often than not turn around and double down on it. I recall a status where Cow stated that you were being far more offensive towards me than I was being towards you (IIRC, this was not to mean that I was absolved of any guilt, merely that although we were both behaving inappropriately, you were doing so with greater frequency), and he asked you to tone it down, and yet you continued to argue with him about it while still throwing insults at me.

That incident is just one of many, but it is the perfect litmus test for whether this suggestion will turn out the way you say it will. When a mod identifies what behavior they could punish you for, you just keep at it and spit in their face, suggesting that either the rule should be abolished entirely, or claim that the team is out to get you. Even when you're told why what you're doing is inappropriate, knowing that hasn't really changed your behavior.

Archived