Welcome to Yugioh Card Maker Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Delete Debates

Necrobump!

Guest, the last post on this topic is over 30 days old and a new post will be considered as necrobumping!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
32 replies to this topic

Tythe

Tythe

The Aloof One

• Elite Members
  • 4,577 posts
    Last Visit
  • Alias:Tinkerer

I mean, I don't care much either way but... can't there just be some kind of way to take Debates off-site or something?  It wouldn't be deleting it because I do feel it is important to have.  Instead, someone clicks on the debates section and they get ported to a similar looking site but isn't actually connected to YCM (as in, the threads there don't show up under recent topics here, etc.).

In terms of how things would work from there: political and divisive topics on YCM would be heavily moderated (as in, they have to stay under extremely strict guidelines), BUT in exchange, the sub-site would be much more lax in terms of moderation.  It could be beneficial in keeping this site lighter while it gives those people who actively post in debates a greater amount of freedom in a different form (which, from what I understand, is a concern?)

Regarding statuses (I mean, I don't use 'em much so I don't exactly know how they're being used to promote debates), they could be used to give the topic title of said debate and a link to take you to the debate thread itself.  Rather than putting your own opinion in your status, you leave your own thoughts within the thread and simply promote the thread itself so people can see it and - if they're interested - respond to it (in-thread of course, not in the status).

I don't have any skin in this game one way or the other, but deleting Debates entirely doesn't seem like the right direction, especially if it doesn't stop the influx of controversial topics.

Hello, fine peoples!

Oh hey, something notable I guess

Flame Dragon

Flame Dragon

Pokemon Breeder

• Super Moderators
  • 23,949 posts
    Last Visit Today, 05:56 AM
Honestly the more I think about the issue with debates the more I feel the section does need a dedicated moderator. Someone willing to remain impartial and willing to deal with the types of toxicity that the section can generate. I know we've done away with section moderators but this is certainly an area where it is worth reconsidering that stance. Even if we can't find someone who would be a good fit for the section we really do need to hammer out a rules system that kills any toxicity before it has had any chance to really generate. The most obvious being harsh warnings and temporary bans from posting in the section.
cZx2XQg.png
FC: 0989-1906-1912

vla1ne

vla1ne

Edited for spelling errors.

• Elite Members
  • 3,594 posts
    Last Visit Today, 06:17 AM
  • Spouse:Lung Tien Lien

I mean, I don't care much either way but... can't there just be some kind of way to take Debates off-site or something?  It wouldn't be deleting it because I do feel it is important to have.  Instead, someone clicks on the debates section and they get ported to a similar looking site but isn't actually connected to YCM (as in, the threads there don't show up under recent topics here, etc.).

In terms of how things would work from there: political and divisive topics on YCM would be heavily moderated (as in, they have to stay under extremely strict guidelines), BUT in exchange, the sub-site would be much more lax in terms of moderation.  It could be beneficial in keeping this site lighter while it gives those people who actively post in debates a greater amount of freedom in a different form (which, from what I understand, is a concern?)

Regarding statuses (I mean, I don't use 'em much so I don't exactly know how they're being used to promote debates), they could be used to give the topic title of said debate and a link to take you to the debate thread itself.  Rather than putting your own opinion in your status, you leave your own thoughts within the thread and simply promote the thread itself so people can see it and - if they're interested - respond to it (in-thread of course, not in the status).

I don't have any skin in this game one way or the other, but deleting Debates entirely doesn't seem like the right direction, especially if it doesn't stop the influx of controversial topics.

The main thing i see here is that people simply don't want the debates themselves leaking out of debates. Hiding it from the recent topics area is rather needless imo, Recent topics only tells you where it is, what's the topic, and about the first 5-10 words in the post. Easily ignored, and not really detrimental to the site overall. The thing i see the most, and agree with, is that debates (the topics themselves) should stay far away from the status bar. There's no reason to have arguments about debate topics there, as that isn't the debates forum. Maybe light jokes and such get a pass, but not topic extractions.

"Watch, Listen, and Think For Yourself"

nothing of interest

My friend codes are:
ThatGuy @4957-40030345 PM me and I'll add you.

Flash Flyer - Sakura

Flash Flyer - Sakura

大閃光の心霊龍主人公

• Moderators

• 40,514 posts
    Last Visit
  • Discord:Sakura#2014
  • Spouse:Latias and Sapphy-chan

In terms of how things would work from there: political and divisive topics on YCM would be heavily moderated (as in, they have to stay under extremely strict guidelines), BUT in exchange, the sub-site would be much more lax in terms of moderation. 

Would require linking Debates elsewhere, and that's more work for the staff members to set up and moderate. Easier option is just crack down on Debates stuff outside its intended area here. However, it requires that the team actually do something about keeping Debates stuff where it should be.

It could be beneficial in keeping this site lighter while it gives those people who actively post in debates a greater amount of freedom in a different form (which, from what I understand, is a concern?)

The "freedom" thing is tied to members feeling that our presence doesn't allow for actual debates (i.e. see complaints in other thread). Or moreso, the team doesn't go into / post in the section so we know nothing about how things turn out in the section and/or butt in when it's not called for.

Basically, let Debates users have their discussions and whatnot without the staff interfering.

Debates has a set of rules in place for the purpose of maintaining civility when having debates; just follow them, don't engage in personal attacks/name calling and you won't have the team coming in to scold people.

Mostly bringing up topics that should be in Debates, given nature.

Responses are in bold/italics.

Honestly the more I think about the issue with debates the more I feel the section does need a dedicated moderator. Someone willing to remain impartial and willing to deal with the types of toxicity that the section can generate. I know we've done away with section moderators but this is certainly an area where it is worth reconsidering that stance. Even if we can't find someone who would be a good fit for the section we really do need to hammer out a rules system that kills any toxicity before it has had any chance to really generate. The most obvious being harsh warnings and temporary bans from posting in the section.

I would probably suggest you weigh in on the proposal that was mentioned in the mod area then, as a sample warn scale has been made. Look it over and see if it requires work or it's suitable for the area.

Card Directory and TCG Decks
Viva Club Espeon!
Extra Images / GFX stuff
Zootopia GIFs (I have too many of them in here -_-)
Character results
YCM Accolades

IzFJLd3.pngJAYSUMQ.gif

Pokémon X / AS / Sun FC: 4098-4005-6931

(If you add my code, make sure you tell me so I can add you back)

Sunshine Jesse

Sunshine Jesse

This game will not have a happy ending.

• Kiseki no Majo

• 7,538 posts
    Last Visit Today, 12:46 AM
  • Discord:Jesse#7240
  • Spouse:Lambdadelta

Does anybody actually come out of debates satisfied? Seems like more of a shit storm than anything else.

I had a lot of fun debating myself, but that's about it.

~ P O L A R I S ~

~ P O L A R I S ~

love

• Senior Members

• 9,813 posts
    Last Visit Dec 01 2018 02:05 PM

This is the worst suggestion I've seen here in years and would set the site back years. 

The Necromancer

The Necromancer

• Night's Watch

• 14,410 posts
    Last Visit 18 minutes ago
  • Discord:#0196
  • Spouse:Fate

This is the worst suggestion I've seen here in years and would set the site back years

Damn it Polaris, why are you tempting the mods

GQB7sDc.gifH1TI5wa.pngsp8QpRU.gif

bngoeJd.gif

Ember McLain

Ember McLain

What's My Name?

• Topic Starter
  • Monsters

• 5,018 posts
    Last Visit

This is the worst suggestion I've seen here in years and would set the site back years. 

Damn it Polaris, why are you tempting the mods

If the statement is true, then maybe the site's traffic would greatly benefit.

Good trade-off imo

Call 1-800-REM-EMBR to book your cruise today!

Phantom Roxas

Phantom Roxas

I am not afraid to keep on living

• The Chariot
  • 26,548 posts
    Last Visit Today, 01:07 PM

Genuinely not sure why people think killing debates will be a blow to me. Yeh I was one of the founders of the modern debates, but I mostly post in TCG these days anyway

That makes about as much sense as declaring yourself the founder of a ghost town after everyone left because they didn't want to stay in the same neighborhood anymore.

Posted Image

Flame Dragon

Flame Dragon

Pokemon Breeder

• Super Moderators
  • 23,949 posts
    Last Visit Today, 05:56 AM

That makes about as much sense as declaring yourself the founder of a ghost town after everyone left because they didn't want to stay in the same neighborhood anymore.

Yea, knock it off. The only thing this comment accomplishes is to antagonizing.
cZx2XQg.png
FC: 0989-1906-1912

The Necromancer

The Necromancer

• Night's Watch

• 14,410 posts
    Last Visit 18 minutes ago
  • Discord:#0196
  • Spouse:Fate

I don't really care about debates any more....like that's not the way you're gonna get to me

Most of the old sparring partners have, like Brightflame, have already left due to how the section was moderated. 

Dany's suggestion is akin to nuking a ghost town

If the statement is true, then maybe the site's traffic would greatly benefit.

Good trade-off imo

Touche

GQB7sDc.gifH1TI5wa.pngsp8QpRU.gif

bngoeJd.gif

Phantom Roxas

Phantom Roxas

I am not afraid to keep on living

• The Chariot
  • 26,548 posts
    Last Visit Today, 01:07 PM

I don't really care about debates any more....like that's not the way you're gonna get to me

Most of the old sparring partners have, like Brightflame, have already left due to how the section was moderated. 

Dany's suggestion is akin to nuking a ghost town

That's fair. Debates is such a ghost town that there's really no point in nuking it. I can't really speak to why other people would have left because of the moderation, but there's another thread about how the section still needs even more changes about how it's moderated. Moderate the people who still go there, don't destroy the section entirely.

Posted Image

Flash Flyer - Sakura

Flash Flyer - Sakura

大閃光の心霊龍主人公

• Moderators

• 40,514 posts
    Last Visit
  • Discord:Sakura#2014
  • Spouse:Latias and Sapphy-chan

Like I said earlier in the thread, there's that other one in News that you can bring up suggestions / opinions about the Debates section. While that one is trying to fix the place whereas this one is advocating for deletion, it ultimately deals with section handling in the end. 

May be better to bring up this discussion over there (also for those of you who haven't weighed in on the proposal, gives you a chance to speak up too and propose things that could be done).

https://forum.yugioh...tes-subsection/

Card Directory and TCG Decks
Viva Club Espeon!
Extra Images / GFX stuff
Zootopia GIFs (I have too many of them in here -_-)
Character results
YCM Accolades

IzFJLd3.pngJAYSUMQ.gif

Pokémon X / AS / Sun FC: 4098-4005-6931

(If you add my code, make sure you tell me so I can add you back)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users