Guest BGMCANN0N

Guest BGMCANN0N

Back-Burner
DARK
[Pyro/Link/Effect]
Link Rating:1
Link Arrows: ⬇ (S)
ATK: 500

1 monster whose effects are negated, or 1 monster whose activated effects were negated this turn

This card's effects cannot be negated. When this card is Link Summoned: Draw 1 card. You can Tribute this card; Special Summon 1 monster from your hand. You can only Link Summon 1 "Back-Burner" per turn.

[spoiler=Concept]Based on this idiom both figuratively and literally: https://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/on+the+back+burner

Figuratively: Since a negated monster would mean one would have to aim for different priorities, they would essentially put their negated monster "on the back burner" by going into this.

Literally: The card's art would be a possessed back-burner of an oven.

[spoiler=Intent]To make Link monster with a single Rate, that has some niche utility.

[spoiler=Tip]Use monsters like Junk Synchron http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Junk_Synchron to get a negated monster on the field, to be able to make this as a play extender.

[spoiler=Edit Log]10/31: Extended its Summoning condition to include monsters who had their activated effects negated. E.g. A monster that got Ash Blossom'd

11/1: Gave it an additional effect that allows it to Special Summon monsters from your hand.

Assuming it's still being used nowadays, also can use monsters who got targeted by Forbidden Chalice (uh, I think that's the one) or BTS / Chain as material instead of reviving stuff via Junk Synchron or other methods. While I would like to say this card's effects can override Skill Drain doing so too, I don't think it works out that way. Other than that, it just gives drawing power, which is still okay, I suppose.

Game could use a generic Link 1 monster. I think this one's good, at least where balance is concerned. You either need to Summon something with its effects negated. Or purposefully negating your own stuff. Plus, he has a cute and rather harmless effect. Perhaps to make up for the negation.

Abyss-Squall, Scrap Lube, or Ruins of the Divine Dragon Lords are the only other examples in my head that come to mind.

There's also Living Fossil.  I think that sees some play?  Maybe?  Also can act as a cute counter vs Impermanence.

But yeah, this is fine.  Pyro-type doesn't really add anything (as far as I know), but turning a negated monster DARK could potentially be helpful.

Actually, Living Fossil is being played lately as part of the Equip kit for Isolde.

TGU quickly came to my mind once I read this card. It turns whatever it searches into a card draw, then you can follow up with a Link ladder. BAs may not like to leave TGU on board though, or else non-negated BAs will destroy themselves. Funnily enough, this card wouldn't present that issue in BAs due to its other effect.

IDK how this would interact with Skill Drain, Lose 1 Turn, etc. Mechanically, these card's negations will apply before this card's built-in anti-negation effect. If you want this card to resist Skill Drains, you may need to add a "(This effect cannot be negated)" clause to its first effect.

Archived