Nanobreaker - Forming an Archetype #37 (17/17)

Atypical-Abbie

Nanobreaker is an Archetype of Machine/Cyberse EARTH monsters with various Levels. They focus on destroying monsters at the start of the Damage Step rather than by battle, and have various ways of doing so, as well as their monsters being similar to Harpie Lady in that they tend to share the same name, which they also use in their gimmick, like with their Field Spell Nanotech Tri-Field, but some are not actually Nanobreaker. They also have some Fusion Monsters, a single Xyz, Synchro and Link Monster as well. They have a support Archetype called Nanotech for their Spells/Traps.

Their theme of supporting both Machine and Cyberse comes from the name, which deals with nanotechnology, so having it be died to both types makes sense to me, and it is more fun too, the Nanotech support Archetype also plays into nanotechnology as well.

Original Card:
Oi8Upcv.png
If this card attacks a face-up Level 3 or lower monster, destroy that monster immediately with this cards effect without applying damage calculation.

New Cards:

Main Deck Monsters:

Nanobreaker Supporter
Machine/EARTH
Level 1
If you control "Nanobreaker", you can Special Summon this card (from your hand). (Quick Effect): You can Tribute this card, then target 1 face-up monster your opponent controls; that target's Level/Rank or Link Rating becomes 1 until the end of this turn. You can only use this effect of "Nanobreaker Supporter" once per turn.
0/0

Nanobreaker Engineer
Machine/EARTH/Tuner
Level 4
When you Special Summon "Nanobreaker"(s): You can Special Summon this card from your hand or GY, but banish it when it leaves the field, also you cannot Special Summon monsters, except "Nanobreaker" monsters, for the rest of this turn. You can discard this card, then target 1 face-up monster on the field; its Level becomes 4 until the end of this turn. You can only use each effect of "Nanobreaker Engineer" once per turn.
1200/1800

Nanobreaker 2.0
Machine/EARTH
Level 4
(This card's name is always treated as "Nanobreaker".)
When this card is Summoned: You can Special Summon 1 "Nanobreaker" monster from your hand. You can discard this card, then target 1 face-up monster your opponent controls and activate the appropriate effect.
* Level/Rank: Decrease its Level/Rank by the number of "Nanobreaker" in your GY.
* Link Rating: Decrease its Link Rating by the number of "Nanobreaker" you control.
You can only use each effect of "Nanobreaker 2.0" once per turn.
1600/1800

Nanobreaker Neo
Cyberse/EARTH
Level 4
This card's name becomes "Nanobreaker" on the field or in the GY. At the start of the Damage Step, if this card attacks an opponent's monster whose Level is lower than this card's Level: Destroy that monster. You can discard this card; add 1 "Nanobreaker" from your Deck to your hand. You can only use this effect of "Nanobreaker Neo" once per turn.
1500/1500

Nanobreaker Tech
Cyberse/EARTH
Level 4
This card's name becomes "Nanobreaker" on the field or in the GY. At the start of the Damage Step, if this card attacks an opponent's monster whose Rank/Link Rating is less than or equal to this card's Level: Destroy that monster. You can discard this card; add 1 "Nanotech" Spell/Trap from your Deck to your hand. You can only use this effect of "Nanobreaker Tech" once per turn.
1800/1000

Extra Deck Monsters:

Nanobreaker Connector
Cyberse/EARTH/Link
Link Arrows: Bottom, Bottom Right
2 "Nanobreaker" monsters
When this card is Link Summoned: You can take 1 "Nanobreaker" monster from your Deck and either add it to your hand, send it to your GY or Special Summon it to your zone this card points to in Defense Position, also you cannot Special Summon monsters for the rest of this turn, except "Nanobreaker" monsters. You can only use this effect of "Nanobreaker Connector" once per turn. While this card points to "Nanobreaker", each time your opponent activates a card or effect while this, inflict 500 damage to your opponent immediately after it resolves.
1700/LINK-2

Nanobreaker Copier
Machine/EARTH/Xyz
Rank 4
2+ Level 4 "Nanobreaker" monsters
This card's name becomes "Nanobreaker" on the field or in the GY. While this card has "Nanobreaker" as material, it can make a second attack in a row during each Battle Phase. At the start of the Damage Step, if this card attacks an opponent's monster whose Level/Rank or Link Rating is 3 or lower: You can detach 1 material from this card; destroy that monster, then you can destroy any monsters adjacent to that monster.

2000/2000

Nanobreaker Combiner
Cyberse/EARTH/Fusion
Level 5
1 Machine monster + 1 Cyberse monster
If this card is Fusion Summoned: The Level/Rank and Link Rating of all face-up monsters your opponent currently controls become 1 until the end of this turn. Once per turn, if your opponent controls an equal or more monsters than you: You can Tribute this card; Special Summon "Nanobreaker" monsters from your hand up the deficit between your monsters and your opponent's monsters on the field.
2000/2000

Nanobreaker Sampler
Cyberse/EARTH/Synchro
Level 8
1 Tuner + 1+ non-Tuner Machine or Cyberse monsters
This card's name becomes "Nanobreaker" on the field or in the GY. At the start of the Damage Step, if this card attacks an opponent's monster whose Level is less than or equal to this card's Level: You can take control of that monster until the end of this turn. Once per turn: You can Tribute 1 "Nanobreaker" monster that attacked this turn; inflict damage to your opponent equal to its Level in the GY x 100.
2600/2100

Nanobreaker X
Cyberse/EARTH/Fusion
Level 8
1 "Nanobreaker" + 1 Machine or Cyberse monster that was Special Summoned from the Extra Deck
Must first be Fusion Summoned. This card's name becomes "Nanobreaker" on the field or in the GY. At the start of the Damage Step, if this card attacks an opponent's monster: You can destroy that monster, and if you do, inflict 1000 damage to your opponent. If you control no other monsters: You can Tribute this card; You can Special Summon 3 "Nanobreaker" monsters with different names from your Deck. You can only use this effect of "Nanobreaker X" once per turn.
2800/2400

Nanobreaker 3.0
Machine/EARTH/Fusion
Level 12
"Nanobreaker" + "Nanobreaker" + "Nanobreaker"
This card's name becomes "Nanobreaker" on the field or in the GY. At the start of the Damage Step, if this card attacks an opponent's monster: Destroy that monster, then inflict damage to your opponent equal to this card's Level x 100. You can banish this card from your GY, then target 1 of your banished "Nanobreaker" monsters, except "Nanobreaker 3.0"; Special Summon it. You can only use this effect of "Nanobreaker 3.0" once per turn.
2500/2500

Spells/Traps:

Nanotech Tri-Field
Field Spell
When this card is activated: You can add 1 "Nanobreaker" monster from your Deck to your hand. Increase the Levels of all "Nanobreaker" by the original Levels of all "Nanobreaker" monsters you control with different names. While you control 3 or more "Nanobreaker", double the original ATK and DEF of all "Nanobreaker" you control during your turn only. You can only activate 1 "Nanotech Tri-Field" per turn.

Nanotech Regeneration
Equip Spell
Activate by targeting 1 "Nanobreaker" monster in your GY; Special Summon that target and equip this card to it. It becomes Machine and Cyberse, also if it battles, your opponent's cards and effects cannot be activated until the end of the Damage Step. If this card is in your GY and "Nanotech Tri-Field" is on the field: You can banish 1 "Nanobreaker" from your GY; add this card to your hand.

Nanotech Combination
Normal Spell
Fusion Summon 1 Fusion Monster from your Extra Deck using Machine or Cyberse monsters from your hand or field. If you control "Nanotech Fri-Field", you can also banish Machine or Cyberse monsters from your GY as material (max. 5). You can only activate 1 "Nanotech Combination" per turn.

Nanotech Upgrade
Quick-Play Spell
Target 1 "Nanobreaker" monster you control and 1 "Nanobreaker" monster in your GY; the first target gains the second target's name in the GY and  and replace its effects with that target's original effects. If you control "Nanotech Tri-Field": You can banish this card from your GY, then target 1 of your banished "Nanobreaker" monsters; add it to your hand. You can only use each effect of "Nanotech Upgrade" once per turn.

Nanotech Force-Field
Continuous Trap

Once per turn, when a "Nanobreaker" monster(s) is targeted by your opponent's card effect: You can banish 1 "Nanotech" card from your GY; negate the activation, and if you do, destroy that card. Each turn, the first time "Nanobreaker"(s) you control would be destroyed by battle or card effect, that monster(s) not destroyed. While you control 3 or more "Nanobreaker" monsters, "Nanotech" cards you control targeted or destroyed by card effects.

Nanotech Microscope
Normal Trap

Double the Levels of all "Nanobreaker" monsters you currently control until the end of the next turn. If this card is in your GY, except the turn it was sent there: You can banish this card and 1 "Nanobreaker" monster from your GY; Special Summon 2 "Nanobreaker Tokens" (Machine/EARTH/Level 2/ATK 1000/DEF 1000). If you control "Nanotech Tri-Field", you can activate this card from your hand.

Nanobreaker is a card I like a lot. The gal is cute, I like the Machine type, I find the name cool, and also I enjoy the uncertainty of the card's name referring to the girl, the sword, or both.

That said, I don't like too much the support you made for her. It all boils down to relatively standard consistency and swarming effects with which you may as well swarm the board and go for Links and whatnot before battling with the monsters. Heck, even the ATK boost of the Field Spell ironically goes against their build-in removal effects through battle. Even the boss monster doesn't look as threatening when it's pretty much a Battle-Phase Volcasaurus.

The only cards I find good are Regeneration as the self-retrievable Equip reborn that it is, and Force Field because it actually supports their "removal through effect when battling" theme, but even then, it has its hindrances, such as the inherent 1-turn slowness of Trap Cards, and the need of GY fodder for the first effect.

Not saying your direction is wrong, but that you have to give them support that goes along the intended direction. You could further continue, for example, with an archetype Ojamagic you can easily gather multiple Nanobreakers on hand and use the effects of Combiner, Tri-Field and Force-Field more consistently.

Nanobreaker is a card I like a lot. The gal is cute, I like the Machine type, I find the name cool, and also I enjoy the uncertainty of the card's name referring to the girl, the sword, or both.

That said, I don't like too much the support you made for her. It all boils down to relatively standard consistency and swarming effects with which you may as well swarm the board and go for Links and whatnot before battling with the monsters. Heck, even the ATK boost of the Field Spell ironically goes against their build-in removal effects through battle. Even the boss monster doesn't look as threatening when it's pretty much a Battle-Phase Volcasaurus.

The only cards I find good are Regeneration as the self-retrievable Equip reborn that it is, and Force Field because it actually supports their "removal through effect when battling" theme, but even then, it has its hindrances, such as the inherent 1-turn slowness of Trap Cards, and the need of GY fodder for the first effect.

Not saying your direction is wrong, but that you have to give them support that goes along the intended direction. You could further continue, for example, with an archetype Ojamagic you can easily gather multiple Nanobreakers on hand and use the effects of Combiner, Tri-Field and Force-Field more consistently.

I don't think I understand how I'm going against their direction, and why is Force Field the card that you find it supporting them the most, when it's a simple protection card where a lot of the others focus on Level manipulation? Tri-Force giving them ATK/DEF is so they can actually do damage, since you give that up on their effects, it's suppose to be your killing move. The idea of Nanobreaker 3.0 is to boost its Level as much as possible with Tri-Field, making it able to deal a lot of turn damage, you can get it to be Level 24 by just having itself on the field, so quite a bit stronger than simply attacking in most cases, and again, a killing move when they normally can't do that through their effects. Having more consistency with the searching is important, but they have very fast and very easy ways to do so, so I'm trying to be careful, Combiner is meant to be used with Instant Fusion, making your monster cost less substantial for it.

Admittedly I did overlook a few things, like Combiner's Level. Still, IMO Force-Field supports them the most because it's the only card that encourages you to keep Nanobreakers on board and battle with them. With the rest of the cards, while they do meddle with the Levels/Ratings of the opponent's monster, with the swarming power they got, plus their own Reborn Equip, I feel you may be better off going for Link laddering strategies before actually battling with Nanobreakers, except in a few cases where they may be useful for removing a problematic monster.

To be fair, Supporter does have a disruptive element by messing with the Level/Rating of an opponent's monster before or during an ED summoning spree.

Tri-Field is potent with the double ATK, but you would need to clear the opponent's field of monsters before starting to deliver the big damaging attacks. That's how I find it a bit unwieldy.

Last cards are up! Funny thing is, I never intended to go the route of having both a Link and a Synchro Monster, I was gonna do an Xyz Monster, but felt like I had the chance to hit each one, since that's fun to do, and allows for some more interesting playstyles, should that be your kind of thing.

New Cards:

Nanobreaker Engineer (Level 4 Tuner monster)

Nanobreaker Connector (LINK-2 Link Monster)

Nanobreaker Copier (Rank 4 Xyz Monster)

Nanobreaker Sampler (Level 8 Synchro Monster)

Nanobreaker X (Level 8 Fusion Monster)

Nanotech Upgrade (Quick-Play Spell)

Nanotech Microscope (Normal Trap)

I see you added more swarming, burning and attacking power, rather than deviating to other effects such as removal, also Nanobreaker X kind of behaves as a Tri-Wight or Hysteric Party for the archetype. IDK if it would be a top tier contender, but looks like a solid archetype and wouldn't be surprised it if made it to tier 2 or 2.5 with the swarming power they got in addition to damage bursts from the ED monsters.

• 2 weeks later...

Cool set of oricas! I like their playstyles, and especially the Fusion monsters seem especially fun to play since you can also use other non-archetype Machine / Cyberse monsters. With their Level-modifying effects I wonder if Proof of Powerlessness can be a good tech, since it now affects more monsters. Sampler is good, as it's somewhat similar to Borreload. Taking control effects are always good. 

Archived