Halloween 2018 Unmasking and Feedback Thread

Blake

Pretty much what it says. I'll leave it to the monsters to reveal themselves for the most part. Or I'll let @@God Emperor Cow or @ do the reveals, since they found all of them. We also need @@Mettaton EX to show himself.

I was Praline a la Mode. I started with Xander Mobus, but then realized how 1-shot it was. I had fun as Praline, but it seems like the event was kinda dead from the outset, which I have ideas about why, but I'd rather have others give their 2 cents first.

There are those wanting to pitch ideas for next year, of which I know at least two, so feedback is helpful for them. Please try to elaborate and be as constructive as possible.

Hadés for the last minute hurrah and King Dice.

I was up at odd hours for a good portion of the event, so I didn't get much of a reaction from people. The times that wasn't an issue, somewhat the same deal. I thought King Dice would be a unique choice, and I had a few ideas on how to best pull it off; however, I eventually had to juggle in midterms and the terrible sleep schedule I hinted at before. I'm sorry for failing at this event, like I have done in the past. u.u

tl;dr: Lack of interaction lead to less focus on King Dice and more in other things. Tried my best though, but my fault ultimately.

Hey there, I was Statler & Waldorf in case it wasn't obvious out the gates. And I was also Mettaton this entire time.

a03nm.jpg

anyway

I've already covered why I think the event wound up failing terribly in my review thread, so I'll just quote from there and bring in some additional comments I've thought up since then.

Event signups begin, and people seem upset by the theme suddenly being thrown on them. Which wasn't the case at all. It was announced several times with plenty of prep time specifically so that people wouldn't get caught off-guard. Big help that was >.> Of course, the atmosphere of YCM itself hasn't exactly been a good one lately.  An unfortunate result of this was that our monsters - being entertainer-themed this year - were probably disheartened by the inability to actually entertain this year, because everyone's too busy being at everyone's throats. Which ended in them ghosting.

So basically, the entire thing was funked from the start by poor circumstances ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

"But Yui, whose fault is it then? Who can we point the finger at?" Well, that's a good question. Do we blame Black for his pitch? Nah, that ain't quite right; the event in a vacuum would have been just fine. Do we blame the monsters for their shitty job? That's not quite it either; it's real hard to want to keep being a monster when nobody seems to care. So it must be the non-monsters, right? Sorry, but we're still not quite there; the atmosphere was by all means a factor, but not the nail in the coffin. To various extents, it's everyone's fault, really.

If there wasn't a theme people probably would've done a better job with monsters. But on the other hand, a lot of the monsters this year were still pretty bad. Not helped at all by the poor atmosphere around them despite the fact that they haven't really done anything wrong yet. Everything was a factor in what was ultimately a funking disaster of a Halloween Masquerade. I'd say I hope we can do better next year, but honestly, I'd be concerned if we couldn't.

As we saw near the end with Bill's sub-event, we had a similar boom in activity as when we started, but it didn't last more than a day. Which is fair, since the event was ending and all, and Bill only left us with the one post then disappeared. I can't speak for everyone else with returning monsters, but I enjoyed doing stuff as Chara (bar some technical difficulties) far more than as Statler & Waldorf. I can't say for sure if this is because of the theme, but I will say with confidence I (and most everyone I'd hope) could have come up with better monsters if not for the theme getting in the way. Even then, a lot of monsters - my own included - felt like they were only technically entertainers by some half-assed loophole. If I hadn't used her last year, I wouldn't be surprised if I could get away with Erma for a monster by the argument of "she's the star of a webcomic." Anyone who makes a themed pitch for 2019 would do well to both pick a broader theme (yes, you can, easily) and be more strict about what does and doesn't count. I even considered sending in a pitch myself, but managing these events seems tough. Will think about it some more.

Now, hypothetically, how could this event have gone differently if the entertainer theme wasn't there? I don't know because my brain's warrantee expired years ago and it doesn't have the processing power to play it all out on such short notice. But I can at least make semi-educated guesses.

We wouldn't have nearly as many ghosts as we did, for one. If you ask your toddler "would you rather eat carrots or broccoli" and they pick one, they probably won't pick that same food if you let them eat anything they want. Likewise, people will pick what they want within a theme, but reluctantly so and they'd probably enjoy their monster way more if they would have been that monster anyway even without the theme. A lot of this year's monsters had a sort of feeling to their posts like "Did I do my part? Yeah? Okay cool, I'm taking this stupid thing off now."

Out of our three boss monsters, two of them also made no effort to turn the momentum of this event around (thank you Neon), which only made things worse. Whoever hosts next year will have to pay attention to that, and take matters into their own hands if things take a turn for the worse.

It was just overall bad, man >.<

Something tells me I need to get in character for this reveal...one second... *clears throat*

BEHOLD!!! The one you call Chaos Sonic played the role of me...THE GREAT MYSTERIO!!

Yup, I was Mysterio for the event this year. So @ , shout out to you, since you wanted to know who Mysterio was to be friends! I also, for the last days, also had Ivan Ooze return for a bit, courtesy of Bill Cipher. Also! While Mysterio wasn't actually actively trying to summon Bill, the fact that Bill ended up coming up and revealing himself again was a HUGE bonus for Mysterio. Although I didn't exactly have a whole lot planned for fishbowl, the fact that he worked out quite well with some did help out. In actuality, I had a blast playing Mysterio and honestly didn't care if I wasn't 100% conversed with or not...it was fun. Pluuuuuuus, pretending that the massive outbreaks of spam bots was Mysterio was kinda funny...just some good timing on that, I'll say.

Plus plus, any chance I was able to pull out some of Mysterio's Latin chants (thank you internet for giving me the lines from the Spectacular Spider-Man) was a good time! <- Btw literally the chants that were used were provided with the translations by the Producer, Greg Weisman are found here.

Now, onto the event itself. I could blame the fact that no one from YCM's users wants to join in on the fun... I could bad-talk the whole theme and event in it's entirety... I could blame the terrible job all us monsters were doing to actually entertain the masses... However I won't. Instead, I'll say this: there are many factors that play a part in why things didn't work out the way the plans were intended. Honestly, I'm not sure how to fix an event like this to make it to where everyone who wants to participates does so (other than making it mandatory...but that's a bad). Regardless, I find these things extremely fun and will continue to join these Masquerades no matter what.

Though a thought occurs...maybe figure out if a team based Halloween event could work out. My thought being something like, two or three monsters are grouped together in a team and all the monsters, as well the regular YCM users compete in some sort of challenge. I dunno if it'll work exactly, but hey it's some sort of base for an idea that anyone could use to expand upon.

Annnnnnnnd for the last go round....

Tibi gratias agimus quod nihil fumas!

tumblr_nnbcz6EvuY1tdkro1o1_r1_400.gif

I was excited for the event this year. But before we even started we had people hating on the monsters and calling them gimmicks.

Fine, people are dicks. That's to be expected. But when I tried to play my part well... No one gave a sheet. There was no interaction, and I wasn't going to be some one man band, not when I barely had time as is.

Honestly, I probably won't do another Halloween event ever again. Maybe it's better we don't do it again.

Right so tonight or tomorrow I'll post a report card.

Also I was Neon and if you didn't know that from the start I'm a little curious how.

Granted there were some who didn't know I was Mauvache.

Personally next year I think we should keep things basic and also use halloween town for monster games.

This might be a surprise, but helloooooooo, I'm The Red Guy. I thought it might be fun to be a more hyperactive character to go against what I myself am like, but I ended up burning myself out from trying so hard. So, I am really sorry for that.

But I am at least happy I tried to do what I could outside of miscellanous, (and I know I did spam a little just to make it maybe a little harder to guess who I was), but the burnout was real. I ended up going quiet for a week from using all my energy trying to raise even some interest.

I was Trixie. Sorry for leaving early on, but between college in the morning and late night shift immediately afterwards, playing her started feeling more like a chore I wasn't interested in doing anymore. I tried redoing my monster pick, but decided to just drop out. I was going to do monster duels with her as well using my Blue-Eyes ritual deck because it's big and flashy.

I was, as some have guessed, both squid and kid. Yeah things didn't turn out as well this year, which is unfortunate since this was my first year monstering. I tried to keep things afloat as much as possible, but having to keep my posting later at night alongside the general lack of activity... yeah. It didn't help that formatting the Squid Sister's posts was a bit more annoying than I had thought it would end up being.

hopefully I can do better next year

So, who is Bersback/Ember?

King Dice and Squid Sisters are characters I recognize and like, so I was looking forward to following their antics in this event, but sadly things fluked.

As for the rest, either I didn't know them, or didn't care too much of them. Admittedly, this interfered with my interest on interacting with them, although I did try to participate in some of their games.

I want to praise Broke.N and Chaos Sonic for their dedication to their monsters and the event. Those 2 are the ones I noticed were active the most.

I was Daft Punk. Yeah, I tried to be creative with it, but just the immediate criticism so many had about the games (coupled with some unfavorable interactions with other members, but I won't name names) and starting a new job that has me really tired all the time, it just became a chore to engage in the event, it felt really just pointless and made me depressed. 

Hopefully next year will be a bit better, but it was just disheartening.

• 2 weeks later...

So, who is Bersback/Ember?

King Dice and Squid Sisters are characters I recognize and like, so I was looking forward to following their antics in this event, but sadly things fluked.

As for the rest, either I didn't know them, or didn't care too much of them. Admittedly, this interfered with my interest on interacting with them, although I did try to participate in some of their games.

I want to praise Broke.N and Chaos Sonic for their dedication to their monsters and the event. Those 2 are the ones I noticed were active the most.

I was me bab- wait is the event over?

Archived