Hazy Flame Support (Written Work In Progress)

Inti

My attempt at making one of my favorite archetypes better.

Hazy Flame Feng Huang

Fire Lv6

Winged Beast/Effect

ATK 2500/DEF 200

Once per turn, If you control a “Hazy Flame”Monster you can Special Summon this card from your Hand. When this card is Special Summoned you can destroy 1 “Hazy Flame” Monster on your side of the field expect "Hazy Flame Feng Huang". Your opponent cannot target this card with effects. If this is in the GY you can banish it expect the turn this card was sent to the GY: Special Summon 1 “Hazy Flame” Monster from your GY except "Hazy Flame Feng Huang".

Hazy Flame Kumiho

Fire Lv6

Beast/Effect

ATK 2100/DEF 200

Your opponent cannot target this card with effects. Once per turn: You can Send 1 “Hazy Flame” monster you control to Special Summon 1 “Hazy Flame” monster from your Deck expect “Hazy Flame Kumiho”.

Hazy Flame Keresh  

Fire Lv6

Scale 5/7

Beast/Pendulum/Effect

ATK 2300/DEF 200

PE: You can Normal Summon “Hazy Flame” Monster for 1 less Tribute. Once per turn; You can target 1 “Hazy Flame” Xyz Monster you control; attach 1 “Hazy Flame” monster from your Hand or GY to that Xyz Monster as an Xyz Material.

ME: You can Normal Summon this card without Tributing, but its original ATK becomes 1150. Your opponent cannot target this card with effects. Once per turn: Send the top card of your deck Special Summon 1 "Hazy Flame" Monster from your Hand or GY. 

Hazy Flame Tigris

Fire Lv6

Scale 5/7

Beast/Pendulum/Effect

ATK 2500/DEF 200

PE: You can Normal Summon “Hazy Flame” Monster for 1 less Tribute. Once per turn: You can destroy 1 "Hazy Flame" you control.If a “Hazy Flame” monster attacks a Defense Position monster, inflict piercing battle damage.

ME: You can Normal Summon this card without Tributing, but its original ATK becomes 1250. Your opponent cannot target this card with effects. When this card is summoned inflict 500 points of damage.Once per turn: you target 1 card on your opponent's side of the field its effect is negated and if its a Monster its ATK/DEF are cut in half until the end phase.

Hazy Scroll

Continuous Spell

You can only control 1 "Hazy Scroll". You can Normal Summon "Hazy Flame" Monsters for 1 less Tribute. When this card is activated add 1 "Hazy" Spell or Trap card from your deck to your hand expect "Hazy Scroll". Once turn, Look at up to 3 cards from the top of your Deck, then place them on the top of the Deck in any order. 

Hazy Tamer

Fire Link 3

Arrows:SW,S,SE,

Warrior/Link/Effect

3 “Hazy Flame” Monster

ATK 2600

This card gains 100 ATK for each “Hazy” card on your side of the Field. Your opponent cannot target this card with effects. Once per turn you activate one of these effects.

-You can Normal Summon a “Hazy Flame” Monster to a zone this card points to

-Add 1 “Hazy” card from your GY to your hand.

-Double The ATK of “Hazy Flame” this card points. During the End Phase of this turn, Banish those monsters.This card cannot attack for the rest of this turn.

An archetype I rather felt was underused as well. Let's see what you've got!

Feng Huang doesn't mention where it Special Summons itself from, and anyway, I think an immediate SS from hand then pop itself to grab anything from the GY seems a little basic. Suggestions there are to make it destroy another Hazy Flame you control, with perhaps hard once per turn on either the Summon from the hand or SS from the GY. The destruction mechanic, while it gives Hazy Flame a theme other than just targeting protection, is bit standard for FIRE, and besides, I rather like the variety in the costs and effects of the rest of them. The focus on it on a lot of these monsters does seem to clash with a lack of recovery on the original cards, as, unfortunately, even your archetype recuperates itself quickly enough.

Kumiho is basic, but he works. Not much else to say there, except that a reminder that sending to the GY was more prevalent in the original cards than destruction. Also, Mantikor protects from destruction, so it actually clashes with these new cards.

Nice to see Pendulums for the set, but I don't think the Scale 2 is necessary; just ditch the Pendulum Summoning restriction and leave it at 5->7. It's also a shame that Keresh's main effect is pretty bad, and will always be outclassed by his Pendulum Effect; the Scry mechanic seems out of place here. Don't know if we need more Tribute requirement lowering, especially as you only have 1 card that Normal Summons them in addition to its Normal Summon. True, it is easy to get out, but I'll talk about the Link later, and I'd much rather have Spell/Trap Card searching anyway. Tigris has some nice counterplay with its effect negation, but it is a bit too strong and varied for a single card, despite the weaknesses of the set as a whole. The destruction effect is again a little meh, as it provides no benefit and only works with 2 monsters in the archetype.

The one thing the set did not need was an Xyz that did a very similar thing to the current one, especially as the main thing it struggled with was doing things outside of your turn. Where are the quick effects here? I think it's best to just stick with one boss and beef it up, or otherwise make some sort of Rank-Up version like Beatrice of the Burning Abyss or Gaia the Thunder Dragon Charger.

Your Link 1...oh boy. 1600 ATK is on the high end for a Link 2, let alone a Link 1, but it does need a Level 6 monster, so I can let it slide. Still, I've always hated archetypal Link 1s from a design standpoint, especially as people make them do super easy basic things for the set, like in this case, searching ANYTHING in the archetype, along with fueling your new support's destruction AND extra Normal Summons. It's a 0 effort card, basically turning any Hazy Flame into a powerhouse, and I don't think it's good design to have. 

I would say you need to make more cards and spread out the power, but there's so many bad cards here and there that I'd suggest start again. Maybe make a Spell/Trap Card, but try and fit with the originals a bit more; they didn't seem to stick with particular mechanics, so go wild, but try and make them fit. Also, perhaps not as many monsters; 6 is already pushing it for an archetype :P

Whoops I meant to say to special summon from the Hand for Feng and have it be once per turn and fixed other typos I had with it.

I changed Kumiho to destroy instead and I based its effect off Kumiho being an illusion based creature. Plus they needed a way to instantly summon Peryton. Also last I checked most Hazy Players do not use Mantikor.

My idea for Keresh was to have it support Sphinx without having to heavily rely on Card Advance though I am thinking of making it be part of its Pendulum effect or part of a spell card instead.

I also based Tigriesh based off its background while also helping the archetype. I changed its pendulum effect and neutered its monster effect.

Yeah now that you mention I will probably scrap the Xyz and maybe change to a rank up xyz card (which is have been having in mind but I can't come up with a name)

I will do the same for the link. originally I thought about making it a link 2 but I figured that would be to easy to make due to Peryton so perhaps I will change to a rank 3 or forget about the link idea.

I will probably make more spells/traps for them and maybe 1-2 more monsters that benefit from destruction.

Also last I checked most Hazy Players do not use Mantikor.

This isn't a complaint about playability; it's flavour I have in mind. While not mandatory for you when you design support, I feel it makes the cards appear to fit better, and makes any cards you make stand out less, as each archetype has its own unique way of going about things.

This isn't a complaint about playability; it's flavour I have in mind. While not mandatory for you when you design support, I feel it makes the cards appear to fit better, and makes any cards you make stand out less, as each archetype has its own unique way of going about things.

Yeah now that I think about I will reduce the amount of destroy 1 Hazy Monster effect and I changed Keresh effect to send a card from the top of the deck and to special summon from the GY. I updated and changed Keresh and added "Hazy Scroll".

Feng Huang

Looks good enough for reaching the field and going for a Rank6. Or with its second and third effects you can replace it for Peryton in the GY for more swarming power, or Hydra for an stronger Bassiltrice.

Kumiho

Looks average. Searching for Peryton or Hydra is great, and making Cerbereus float is great, but it suffers from needing assistance to be Normal Summoned.

Keresh

Now things are looking good. Another card that lets your Normal Summon Hazy Flames without Tributes, and as Pendulum it gets monster search support. The Monster effect is great as well, effectively working as an archetype Wolfbark. I don't like the dual-scale thing, though. It's an experimental gimmick.

Tigris

Not as good as Keresh. Only useful for popping Cerbereus or Feng Huang. However, if you ditch the dual-scale thing, you may want this to complete the scales. As for the monster effect, it's handy for dealing with some threats, but those are situational anyway.

Scroll

Great card. Its another card that lets you Normal Summon Hazy Flames without Tributes, comes with a welcomed searching effect, and on top of that it supports Sphinx as an extra.

Tamer

Now you went a bit off-theme here. I can more or less see the flavor of making it a Tamer and Warrior-Type, but still feels out of place to me. I don't think it's really worth it, though. You spend 2 monsters to get a 2600 beater, albeit un-targetable, that OPT gives you at best a search, The no-Tribute Normal Summon shouldn't be needed if you with Scroll, Pillar and Keresh around, and the remaining effect, is good as a finisher on paper, but if you control more Hazy Flames on board in addition to this card, chances are you are already winning anyway. Giving up its attack also cuts any early OTKing potential this card could offer. IMO you can improve it by making it require only at least 1 "Hazy Flame" monster instead of specifically 3.

Overall, half of your cards are good, and the rest seem average unless they are improved. Also I noticed you give them a bunch of effects that destroy Hazy Flames, but actually only a single card benefits form that, Cerbereus, and to a lesser extent the Feng Huang you made for them, so self-destruction support is not really a thing they need.

Archived